Thread: Possible 3D engine for Hz?

Default Possible 3D engine for Hz?

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

The Irrlicht Engine is a high performance open source and cross platform 3D engine for creating realtime 3D applications. Its main targets are to be easy to use, extremely fast, extensible and crash safe.

The engine is a quite flexible graphics engine, and it is possible to write lots of different applications with it. Some are: complex 3D simulation applications, first and third person shooter games with indoor and/or outdoor scenes, real time strategy games, 2D games, ...

The engine is open source and totally free. You can debug it, fix bugs and even change things you do not like. And you do not have to publish your changes: The engine is licensed under the zlib license, not the GPL or the LGPL.

Have a look at it DEVs. Maybe this one could be useful four you and the future development of Hz :)

Default Re: Possible 3D engine for Hz?

According to the 3-D engine database at http://www.devmaster.net/engines/Irrlicht is still listed as being in alpha. Might want to verify, but if I were looking for an engine to develop a major productwith I'd think twice about using something that's still in alpha. Maybe it's worth it anyway, but one must be careful and at least in my mind it's a pretty big red flag.

There are quite a few engines out there to choose from. I don't know how high a priority it is with them to get a new engine although I know theysaid at one point they wanted to. The final decision is something their development staff will have to do -- nobody elsecan do it for them because nobody else is familiar enough with the technical nitty gritty of HZ to make an informed decision.

Default Re: Possible 3D engine for Hz?

They were already considering Ogre3D, but there is also Delta3D and CrystalSpace.

Irrlicht is still in development, but it is stable enough to make games with, as several games are being actively developed with it right now.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Thread Information