Thread: Help! Not Understanding Skill Increase

eschiava

Default Help! Not Understanding Skill Increase

I have been trying to figure out a few things about skill increases and not having much luck I am afraid.

Okay, where to start: I have tools, and each tool has a max skill. For example, my refurbished sewing needle hasa max skill of 100. Okay, I have a tailoring skill of 74 (I think). When I create rough leather gloves (is that what they are called?) I use my sewing needle on rawhide strips using a maniquin to create gloves, but my skill does not increase. It seems it is only after I gain a level in Outfitter that my tailoring skill increases. I find that odd.

Why do I need a sewing needle of sufficient skill if I don't gain in skill by using it? What does the skill level of a tool do? Do all of my outfitter skills increase with each level? Is tehre a way to increase skills I want to focus on faster?

Any good tutorials or guides around anywhere?

Thanks to everyone in advance for any help you may be able to offer!

Default Re: Help! Not Understanding Skill Increase

Q: Why do I need a sewing needle of sufficient skill if I don't gain in skill by using it?

A: It is a "limit" the only way you gain more skill is by leveling or by wearing jewelry, clothing, or a needle with a technique crafted into them... that increases your skill. The skill max listed on your tool says, "If your skill goes past 100, using this tool will CAP you at 100 and can actually reduce your skill... which means... you need a better needle... i.e. bronze needle, iron needle, steel needle, etc.

Q: What does the skill level of a tool do?

A: as mentioned above, it "limits" your skill to that level.... if you have a 250 in outfitter and you pick up a sewing needle like yours... yourskill will be reduced to 100. This is why you upgrade your crafting tools when you go up levels.

Q: Do all of my outfitter skills increase with each level? Is tehre a way to increase skills I want to focus on faster?

A: All of the needed skills increase per level that you need for Outfitting. The only way to increase skills is through teched clothing / jewelry / tools, and / or spending points in attributes like strength, dexterity, and focus (IMO is a waste but some swear by it)

Any good tutorials or guides around anywhere?

Check here or www.gamersinfo.net
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Tools Limit Your skill to that level. I.E. A Refurbished Needle would limit your skill to 100 if you had say sewing 150.

Skills only increase when you level not by use. So even is you just sew gloves all day all you skills increase for Tailor not just your Leather working.

You must have an appropriate tool to be able to create something. Only if it is created with a special technique does it increase your skill. Otherwise it just allows you to use your skill.

The 'Max Skill' is probably best described as a 'cap' on your maximum skill using that tool. For instance you can't create a perfect ring in real life using sub par tools. You must use tools of appropriate precision. But the same tool might be fine for 'roughing' out a design. So likewise, using an outfitter example. You can't sew a thick gauge leather armour using too weak of a needle, you'll need to get a thicker or stronger needle (move from Bronze to Iron or steel in this case).

Since HZ is class based, ALL your class skills go up when you level. If you have multiple classes with overlapping skills, the 'highest' takes precedence. For instance if you take outfitter you get Tailoring at 8/level, tailors get it at 10/level. At level 30 outfitter, you will have 240 base tailoring, if you get to level 25 tailor, you will have 250 base tailoring and it will be based off of your Tailor class instead of outfitter.

If your intent is just levelling, calculate out how many XP you get for creating and deconstructing each of your recipes, then divide that by the net resource loss.

Don't forget to ask questions in New Player Assistance.
    -HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

eschiava

Thanks all, this has been very helpful!

But to clarify a little further, if I understand correctly, the max skill of a tool in my possession at the time I level up can keep me from gaining skill, right? For example, if my skill in tailoring was 99 and I had a skill 100 needle when I leveled I would gain only 1 point. Okay, what if I have 2 needles, a skill 100 and a skill 250? What if the skill 100 needle is in my vault? Does it still limit my skill gain?

I will generally ask these kinds of questions on the new player channel, but I am at work now and had this sudden burning desire to learn this new thing. I'm sure you know the feeling. ;)

No as long as the tool is equipped your skill if limited to the max allowed by the tool. Once you remove the tool it will go back up to your normal max.

Only the tool in your hand is what counts (what Kumu said)

If what you said were the case I would be in a lot of trouble (Seeings how I packrat tons of older tools in my vault)

To put it simple:

The "skill level cap" on your crafting tool is the game's way of keeping you from using your "beginner tool" always and forces you to get someone (or you) to make a better tool to give you a higher skill level cap

The caps are right now:

Trainer: 50
    Refurbished: 100
    Tier 1: 250
    Tier 2: 450
    Tier 3: 650
    Tier 4: 850
    Tier 5 (and beyond) unlimited
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

eschiava

Thanks again all, I've got it now! :)

Thread Information