Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone playing EQ2 beta

Exavier

Default anyone playing EQ2 beta

was just curious if any from hz is playing EQ 2 beta

Default Re: anyone playing EQ2 beta

sure, I did, but not for too long, eq2 is just not my liking. Zoning, forced grouping, a complete stupid crafting system (and why bother with crafting at all, if any NPC offers best stuff for low cash?) and a really bad housing system (not to mention no community crafting at all). Not to mention a horrible translation.
    Dvergar Blutaxt @ Unity (former ICE) / Paladin 97 - Mason 100 // before hibernation

I have been playing it for a few hours. The water is incredible. The voices are nice at first, but after 10 min, get a little annoying. I havent seen anything to make me want to leave Horizons.
    Graphics were nice even at med level. Lag is there, froze up worse than in Horizons several times in the keep and once in combat. Forgot what it was to "zone", and realized how much i didnt miss it. Im gonna play it for a few more days just to get a real impression of it, but so far it has not impressed me.
    Kannibus
    Co-GM Crimson Legion
    100 Pali\68 Dru
    63 CRP\63 Wvr\50 Enc\41 Fit\41 Msn

Yeah, I'm playing atm, and its actually quite good, kind of reminds me of old single player RPG's. Lots of quests to do, without having spend lots of time worrying about leveling, it just happens as you go. I haven't really dug into the crafting, but then I'm more of an adventurer anyway.

oh, and what I forget: you do have maps ingame, but only for the tutorial island and the cities. It is not possible to mark an NPC or anything on these maps, nor are any NPCs marked. Outside areas do not have any map at all. If you are send to meet a specific NPC in a zone, you've got to search everywhere everytime (unless you have a very good memory for all of their names and locations)

Quests: nearly every NPC has some FedEx or Kill quest to offer. As a result, after the first 2-3 town quarters, your quest log is quite full, and its hard to remember who gave which quest (resulting in running from NPC to NPC, greeting him to see if he has any news to offer).
    Dvergar Blutaxt @ Unity (former ICE) / Paladin 97 - Mason 100 // before hibernation

I havent, but with yet another thread at another forum filled with MANY more bad comments than good, its not that much of a disappointment...
    Myca Ghimerov, Fiendish Wizard, Sorcerer, Enchanter, Mason. Retired.

Proud Member of the Steel Phoenix

Also playing EQ2 beta.

I love the many quests, the graphics and landscape.

But I miss the multiclassing of Horizons, the crafting and I hate the chat system. [;)]

Nevertheless I think I will get a copy and play from time to time.
    Susan - Lvl 85 Tink and many, many other crafting classes
    Andarielle - Lvl 100 Adv / Lvl 100 Cra Dragoness

Former ICE

Bael

what are "zones"? I never played eq before

Quote Originally Posted by Dvergar
    sure, I did, but not for too long, eq2 is just not my liking. Zoning, forced grouping, a complete stupid crafting system (and why bother with crafting at all, if any NPC offers best stuff for low cash?) and a really bad housing system (not to mention no community crafting at all). Not to mention a horrible translation.
    EXACTLY the same feeling here.

Eq2 beta has been removed from my pc, and heading towards Saga of Ryzom

Quote Originally Posted by Bael
    what are "zones"? I never played eq before
    A zone is an closed area in the world. In HZ, the starterislands and the satyr islands are "zones" (you can't get there by other means than a portal). In eq, everything consists of zones. A city is divided in several parts (zones): north, south, harbour, ... And if you want to go from north to south, you have to walk to a gate in the city, click it, and hope that the next zone is available and will load. Hunting zones are even worse. If there are "too many" ppl going to a selected zone, the server creates a copy of this zone and offers you any of these copies to enter ("********, whichzone (#1, #2, ...) havethe others gone to now?").

What is happening quite often, is a zone crash. A complete zone is dropping dead, crashing the players in there and not allowing others to enter the zone ("zone is currently not availabe").

You can reach the starting isles without a portal - just fly to the south east of the map (and it takes long to get there, btw).

I also played eq2 beta, I even founded a eq2 guild back in January(!). And also deleted it already... never seen such cool graphics in such a bad game [:(]
    Clerical Chaos Conjurer

Waechter der Zeit
    Beta-guild from Earth - and we are still here!
    Unity

Krald

I'm playing it currently, will probably do retail too. I don't like every single thing about it, but Its a refreshing change from HZ for me. I mean in this theres actually group dynamics, dungeons, quests etc. Its nice. I prefered HZ crafting plus I miss HZ events and I miss not being able to do much solo in a way, but if it means better group combat then thats an ok trade-off.

I have found out I do not miss multiclassing, it blurs the roles so everyone can do anything and the cost of it is too low.

hm.. heard they shipped it the 8:th.... thats odd..
    They just called from my gamestore and i can buy it tomorrow (friday) allready?
    Aenos on the Unity Shard
    One of those rare Helians. [Retired]
    draggy adventurer lev 100 / crafter lev 81

Krald

Hmm strange.

Going to be 11th before I get it at earliest.. probably more likely later :/ But I'm in UK

spajdr_fatleg

Dvergar : you obviously didnt played EQII beta not enough, maps for all places are up now, you can ask guards about person you looking and he will show you the way to him (not always). And if guard cant help you, you can ask in chat and someone will help you. I played Horizons like half year and after playing Everquest II for nearly month i must say .. Everquest II all the way .. but about crafting, HZ is probably better, but since im adventuring (healer all the way) i like EQII more.

spajdr_fatleg

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael
    [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Dvergar wrote: sure, I did, but not for too long, eq2 is just not my liking. Zoning, forced grouping, a complete stupid crafting system (and why bother with crafting at all, if any NPC offers best stuff for low cash?) and a really bad housing system (not to mention no community crafting at all). Not to mention a horrible translation.

EXACTLY the same feeling here.

Eq2 beta has been removed from my pc, and heading towards Saga of Ryzom
    Zoning loading is fast enough now. Why forced grouping? its not always needed, if you know how to kill some mob. Crafting and housing .. well thats another story, but they can improve it .. more quickly .. since they have money and EQII will be here for a long time, which i cant hell about Horizons.

If it didn't have pvp I'd try it. Until then the only MMO I'm playing is Horizons :P

Horatio

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanathan Shadowbane
    If it didn't have pvp I'd try it. Until then the only MMO I'm playing is Horizons [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]
    It doesnt have pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Silvanathan Shadowbane wrote:If it didn't have pvp I'd try it. Until then the only MMO I'm playing is Horizons [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

It doesnt have pvp.
    Oh hmm...my roomie said it did. Well maybe if the addiction of Horizons goes away I'll try it lol. thanks

gopher65

EQII doesn't have PVP? [:|] hmmmmm. For some reason I thought it did. Maybe I'll take a look at it in a few months or so.

Thread Information