Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revised Race Lore

Default Revised Race Lore

We did a pass through the race descriptions and posted new ones to our main site. Feel free to read and comment. Feedback is welcome.

http://www.istaria.com/races.php
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

So going back to the old Lunus are more warrior based and Helians are more Mage based I see. Otherwise good info. I like that the factions are laid out and also the Fact that Lunus do work with some Naka even if it is out of need. I see also you keep the Breath weapons stuff open. You might want to add that Lunus are linked to Lighten energy and Helians are linked to Cold energy unless you plan to change so that you can pick at a later date.

Not going back to, it has always been that way.

Ok I must have just read it diffrently in game for some of the lore.

I think something that is missing from many of the races is a dramatic conflict. The dragons are split with Lunus and Helians and the Fiends and Humans have a low scale conflict.

There is however nothing for the other races to give them drama and make them more exciting. The stories that interest people are filled with struggle, whether struggle in war, politics, challenges, etc. In the Lord of the Rings the Dwarves and Elves are on the same side but also in conflict with each other. It would be much more boring if Legolas and Gimli simply got along.

So my own criticism would be that the races need more conflict than "we all fight the Withered Aegis". I think spicing them up with conflict would make all of them a bit more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Svayvti
    So my own criticism would be that the races need more conflict than "we all fight the Withered Aegis". I think spicing them up with conflict would make all of them a bit more interesting.
    Don't forget elves, dwarves, and humans persecuting the sslik.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Most of the races dislike the saris for evading the unslaught of the WA, no one really trust the humans, the dwarves bicker among their clans, the gnomes were betrayed by their own and the half-giants were for a long time, well, vikings.

Also, if you did the old event quest Civil Discord (or something like that) you'd know from there that most everyone has some old grouch with someone.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

More detail on the interaction will come to light when I get the timeline ready and posted.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Oh! Yes! Timeline! I was going to ask about that, but forgot while reading the race lore. Very good!

I love well-written game lore, thank you very much Amon!

Amon, I would think that Saris would hate (or very much dislike) halfgiants and elves for their role in the past kidnapping and ******** of their females. After reading the time line and having a Saris main myself it certainly has changed my perspective on those two races (role playing wise) even though I have an alt who is an elf. Not much is is written about the Saris other then the fact that the half giants kidnapped females, sold them to elves for good coin, and eventually Saris defeating raiding parties.
    Last edited by Mearis; May 18th, 2006 at 01:49 PM.
    Segorian_Bounty - Elder Adult Dragon - Chaos
    Mearis - Saris - All around biped crafter - Chaos
    ....Toooo many alts to list them all

The entry for humans is quite plain and short. It doesn't speak about human history beyond veiled references to Ryson and Torren. Ashlander Vandus is not mentioned at all. There's nothing there about either Dalimond or Vandus Confederacy. What has been humans' contribution to the war against the Aegis? We need to read about elven history to find a mention that humans helped to defend Feladan.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Ah, but Mearis, you miss something else. The fact that the saris returned voluntarily to the elves and offered to teach them suggests that the saris are a very forgiving race. Regardless, one thinks something like that would be noted in the race description..

Some Saris may have resentments or dislikes because of previous events; however, making a statement like that about an entire people is a little broad. There are many ethnic groups in the world today who suffered the same sort of indignities in recent history; most of the time it's acknowledged and remembered, but only a very few use past injustices to justify present hatreds.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

That is my point, there was no real mention of it in the Saris lore page, and I just think to tie the timeline in to the lore a bit more it is something that should be noted there.

Does it matter now? All races have come together to fight against the WA, what little differences they have are focused into their destruction.

Yea I find it a little strange. Maybe they should be more mad at the half-giants for enslaving them. I can kind of see someone going to a race that is buying you as slaves and trying to cut a deal to cut out the demand and in the process enrich your self and your race. But still if that race had not wanted you in the first place then the capturing race would not have wanted you but maybe they would have found some on else to buy you or use you as slaves them selves.

But maybe over all they are a more forgiving as a race. I can see a race that takes so well to the monk way of life as being such a race. Also if you can not stop them any other way but for trying to offer your selfs as free teachers instead of slave teachers what option do you have? From the Time Line I see the Elves as a much more advanced race so that could have been the only option for a smaller, maybe not less advanced but not as sophisticated race, so that could have been the only way to stop them selves from becomeing a enslaved race.

What I said was intended as a suggestion, and a way to possibly tie the lore and time line together a little more. It seems it has derailed this thread, so I withdraw it. Sorry Amon, did not think there would be feedback of this type regarding my suggestion.

It's a legitimate suggestion, Mearis. I'd agree that it should be detailed in a racial history, but what we have are racial profiles. I don't see mentioning something unless it has a significant and lasting impact on the race as a whole. The Helian/Lunus schism, the Sslik founding Sslanis, the creation of the Fiends - these are events that make those races who they are.

I don't consider this unimportant, but I don't think it is as defining as these other events. Had the entire Saris race been enslaved, then we would have an event that defined the Saris as a people.

Of course, Amon may disagree as to what should or should not be mentioned... ;-)
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos

I realize these are racial overviews, but I'd like to see articles that delve more in-depth to certain racial characteristics. Just for an example, the dwarf clans. How many there are? What are their names? Who are the leaders/thanes/elders? Are the lands divided into clan holds? When it comes to politics are they arrayed into a hierarchy or do they have a 'one clan one voice' system? What major rivalries exist? Political divisions? For what reason? Any allied clans? How did the Siege of Aughundell and their subsequent alliance with the rest of the Living Races affect the clans, and their opinions? Should there be emblems for dwarven characters to display their clan affiliations? And so on.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Thread Information