Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I play this Game ?

Vorenus

Default Should I play this Game ?

Hi Guys,

I am a player comming from DAoC, Lineage2.

I saw this game on mmorpg.com and was wondering how good it really is?

I have heard excellent things about your community.
    So how is the player base ?

I was reading the forums and found that people are building bridges and Light houses and such, totally awesome!
    Are these predefined as something that you can build or is it based by the limits of your imagination?

I would love to jump in game right now just to check it out, but i have found it better to ask a few questions first.

What is the best class in the game?
    What is the least played character that might be in demand?
    Is the game mostly grinding away to get your levels or is there some fun to it?

I thank anyone who gives their opinion in advance and maybe I will see you soon!

Quick edit. After reading some of the guides I found that there are subclassing?!? As long as you practice at different schools.
    What are good combonations of class? Would it be recommended to get one character to a high level in one school before trying another? Or would it be better to level to classes that can share skills at the same time?
    Last edited by Vorenus; May 31st, 2006 at 07:07 PM.

The best way to sample how the game plays for you is to download the client and try the free trial. It costs nothing but some of your time (credit card info will be asked when you create a trial account).

Biggest difference to games you are coming from is that there is no PvP in Horizons - except the arena, but that is not as much a feture of the game as diversionary entertainment. Arena-goers must keep in mind that player schools are not, and will never be, balanced for PvP, only PvE.

Community, I like to think it is excellent and diverse. You'll find no leetspeakers here and griefers are almost completely absent.

Thers is no single 'best' class, you'll need to decide yourself what is best for your own playstyle. The initial choices on beginner islands are warrior, scout, mage and cleric - or play a dragon - and further beginning choices include druid, spiritist and monk. The rest of the schools (presitge schools) require 20 levels in one or more base schools.

Subclassing is termed here as multiclassing. It means that you are no limited in your choices of adventure schools. You may choose one and level that, or take several and switch between them to level them all (only one school is 'active' at time and receives the adventure experience). Skills, abilities and spells have certain rules how they are inherited between classes. Multiclassing is not a beginner subject though, so I'd heavily recommend just taking one school at start and do that. Multiclassing can be started at any time in any case.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

No! run now! far away.... save your self... save your sanity!!!

AAAAAAAAaaAaAAAAaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa

<back to reality>

Yes, depending on your style of game play, Horizons will either be good or bad. No "end game PVP" or better yet no "end game" (unless you get like 6 level 100 classes under your belt, and then you can still be killed by the new mob bosses)

Best thing is to try it.

No b.net kids running around trying to pwn j00z and no griefers / campers. My look on this game is: it's my zen garden to cultivate.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Vorenus

Default I wanna play now!!!

OK well it seem that I like it already. From the descriptions of the game, the community from what I have seen so far says "Download the free trial"
    Special thanks guys from answering the questions and giving me an overview of the game!

I am currently reading the horizons.gamersinfo.net guides to be the most productive in my 14 day trial!
    I might get my GF to play since she doesnt like PvP.

Another question though. If you are playing 4 hours a day 5 days a week, how long will it take to get a character up to 100 single class. Estimates ofcourse!

Thank you again guys you are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Vorenus
    OK well it seem that I like it already. From the descriptions of the game, the community from what I have seen so far says "Download the free trial"
    Special thanks guys from answering the questions and giving me an overview of the game!

I am currently reading the horizons.gamersinfo.net guides to be the most productive in my 14 day trial!
    I might get my GF to play since she doesnt like PvP.

Another question though. If you are playing 4 hours a day 5 days a week, how long will it take to get a character up to 100 single class. Estimates ofcourse!

Thank you again guys you are awesome!
    Depends on the intensity of your play and your in-game choices. My character is I nearly 900 real-time days old and his highest level is 62 in adventuring, but he has 7 craft levels between 70 and 90, because that's where I spend most of my time.

Others have made a single level 100 in a matter of a few weeks (with some levels of a healing class thrown in for solo play).

So the answer is, you never know what's going to turn your head away from your defined course in this game, and I like that. I started as a Ranger (a prestige class that required druid to 15 and scout to 20) and an Armorer. I got the ranger to 27 and the armorer to 46 nearly two years ago. The ranger is still 27 and the armorer is still 46, so yeah, I got severely distracted -- 49 levels of Knight of Creation and 30 of Conjurer, both of which I dropped, plus 36 of warrior, 20 of cleric ... you get the idea.

Hence, my signature
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks
    Specializing in a little bit of everything

Best way to discribe this game is of your own oppinions rather then others.. I'd say give it a try.. I used to be apart of Daoc myself and quit for this game. So its best to experiance it yourself and know weather or not this game is for you

Vorenus,
    Welcome to Horizons.
    - Reyem
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strangely, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

Vorenus

Quote Originally Posted by Reyem TG
    Vorenus,
    Welcome to Horizons.
    - Reyem

Thank you thank you!

Downloading as we speak 59% complete

If you're into pvp -- this is not your game
    If you like crafting -- this is crafters paradise
    If you want to fly some day -- you can play a dragon
    If you want to change the world by building structures, own a plot of your own and put machines, houses, ornaments on it -- this is your game.

Just don't play on Europe's server Unity....
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Quote Originally Posted by snickel
    Just don't play on Europe's server Unity....
    ********, thats not fair snickel...dont do any anti-promotion just because you're frustrated

Perhaps its not 'anti-promotion' perhaps it is an honest, from his viewpoint, observation of the truth.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

At a normalish mix of multiclassing and crafting, I think I hit my first school to 100 in 4 months or so, maybe 5... but a 2nd was already close, and my first 100 crafting school was as well.

It all depends if you want to grind to 100, or enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor
    Perhaps its not 'anti-promotion' perhaps it is an honest, from his viewpoint, observation of the truth.
    To me it sounds like a fair assessment of situation on Unity. Myself, I couldn't honestly recommend to anyone start playing on Unity - and I won't whenever the topic comes up. For all I care, Game Network can go rot in a dark place. The last thing I'd want to see is Unity growing back up while under their care.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

You were asking about lighthouses and bridges and such. Those pieces happen to be world projects. They are set by the developers as they put new things in the game. We have a variety of things still left to build (artifacts, mines, gazebos, lampposts, etc.) across Istaria besides the fun things (mines, event structures, new crafthalls) and the player-placed items on their plots or in their lairs. As far as it goes on people owning land, you may put whatever you want on your plot, with a few rules:
    1. it must all fit.
    2. some structures you may only have one of (one guildhall of each tier and/or one of each type of house. YES, if you had a big enough plot, you could theoretically get every house and one of each tier guildhall on there. In the case of halls and lairs in a dragon lair, you actually may have two of each tier, one Lunus and one Helian).
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by Chaldor Itieles
    ********, thats not fair snickel...dont do any anti-promotion just because you're frustrated
    Horizons is a great game, I do definitely wish to promote it.

But Chaldor, be honest: If a player had a choice whether to play on an US shard or on GN-'supported' Unity, what would be your advice? Be fair and admit that my criticism is shared by many and not based on individual frustration alone.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Welcome to Horizons, Vorenus. 8D
    If you enjoy crafting, you'll love Horizons; it has the best crafting system I know of in any MMO. The adventuring can also be really fun with the flexibility of multiclassing; it's not as limited as the spec system in DAoC.
    I myself came here from DAoC over two years ago, and so did my current GM.
    The main thing I miss from DAoC is my pet Spirit Champion, but pets are slated to be coming to this game, too.
    The adventure classes here differ in skills and abilities, some of which can carry over to other classes; feel free to try different ones to see what suits your preferred playstyles. There's a relatively simple quest to drop an adventure class if you don't like it, and it is repeatable. This applies only to bipeds; dragons have only one adventure class, so cannot change, but get other advantages, particularly flight upon reaching adulthood.
    Some adventure classes are more commonly used than others, but I can't think of any that isn't represented at all in the player base.
    You've probably read about this already, but there's 3 different live servers, and a test server - Chaos, the regular play North American (NA) server, Order, the roleplay NA server, Unity, the European server run by Game Network, and Blight, the test server, listed in order of population (chaos having the most people, blight the least). While Chaos, Order, and Blight are NA servers, they have players from Europe and Australia as well. All the servers have good communities, though there are more hazards to playing on Unity (as others have mentioned) or Blight (as it is a test server).
    Good luck!
    - Grem
    Last edited by Gremblthrg; June 1st, 2006 at 04:47 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Hello, I no longer play Horizons, but that's not due to anything bad about the game, it's because I no longer have a computer that will run it well. Only 512 Ram and a Geforce FX5500 256mb Video Card which is decent but I have severe lag and it makes it hard to play. Horizons is still my all time favorite mmorpg. I currently play wow with a few friends. I know, I turn off the general chat and ignore most of the people. How I wish wow had Horizons communtiy. I was addicted from the start to HZ, the adventuring is fun. The game world is huge, there's always something to do and the Crafting is very fun and so distracting that I found myself forgetting to adventure, Lol. The best thing in Horizons is the community. From day one I enjoyed the community. I've always had my questions answered in game, everyone is so helpful and friendly and I've never once heard anyone say...then go play something else noob.... when you make a constructive comment about something you would like to see different in Horizons. There's no pvp which doesn't really matter in HZ, you won't care. It's that fun. Even if you're sick or feeling unwell or just don't feel like killing mobs then you can have a great time just wandering around and talking to people or cutting down trees, mining, crafting, etc... I can't wait till I upgrade so that I can come back to Horizons. It's worth checking out. Try the free trial and see what you think. Even if you decide it's not right for you, you will always miss this community in other games. Trust me, I know. You'll think to yourself, the people in Horizons don't act like this. Or the people in Hz. would answer this question. Or grrr, I wish these people acted like they do in Hz. hehehe. You get the idea. I miss everyone and will one day return. Take care everyone.

Ophelea

Quote Originally Posted by medweasel
    Hello, I no longer play Horizons, but that's not due to anything bad about the game, it's because I no longer have a computer that will run it well. Only 512 Ram and a Geforce FX5500 256mb Video Card which is decent but I have severe lag and it makes it hard to play. Horizons is still my all time favorite mmorpg.
    Med,

How long since you've played? You should be able to play with that card and that memory...

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I'm using the same card you are (in a 4X slot) and only 768 RAM on a 1.8 GHz P4Celeron. My framerates on DSL are between 4 and 20 on an average day. Your system should be able to handle it, medweasel.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Vorenus

Again, I want to thank eveyrone for giving me their thoughts and opinions.
    I have been playing for a little less than a week and this game is awesome!!!!!

The creativity and structure that was put into the design concepts is applaudable!

This is my new favorite thing next to coffee!

I am currently a lowbie warrior/cleric with outfitter/blacksmith soon to add scholor (for techs) crafts.

I did get my GF to play she is also signed up and is getting to learn the game albeit a little slower than myself, who is never afraid to speak up and say ... I dont get it LOL
    I recently joined the eyes of istaria and the people there have shown me the same courtesy and hospitality that these forums have.

I salute each and everyone of you for your efforts for not only trying to help new players but also informing them of issues before they can become problems.

Thank you
    Vorenus
    Porcius Cato - Chaos

Thread Information