Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Racial abilitys

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Default Re: Racial abilitys

what would be the point, phil? i mean, why not just play the race that has that ability, if you get me?

if anything, i would like to see more skewl abilities be masterable/usable by another skewl - i mean, if you make it to 100 in a skewl, shouldn't you have mastered all the abilities in that skewl? just sayin......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

The point is for the races with the abilities that sucked harder than a texan blonde in a hot summer night could now suck less.

Note that it's not because the devs have ignored this issue - it's because they can't come up with a solution. What I'm suggesting here will solve this 5 year old problemo.

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    what would be the point, phil? i mean, why not just play the race that has that ability, if you get me?
    What if a player would like to play race they are passionate about, but simply feels that the racial ability isn't up to par with others? It's not much to ask for the racial abilities to be somewhat fair in comparison. I think the best way is to let people choose what it is they want.

Just shooting the crap here. I seriously doubt this will even be considered.
    Last edited by Phillip; October 20th, 2009 at 12:22 PM.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip View Post
    The point is for the races with the abilities that sucked harder than a texan blonde in a hot summer night could now suck less.

Note that it's not because the devs have ignored this issue - it's because they can't come up with a solution. What I'm suggesting here will solve this 5 year old problemo.

What if a player would like to play race they are passionate about, but simply feels that the racial ability isn't up to par with others? It's not much to ask for the racial abilities to be somewhat fair in comparison. I think the best way is to let people choose what it is they want.

Just shooting the crap here. I seriously doubt this will even be considered.
    okay not trying to be a beeatch here, but i still don't understand....

what is the point of having different races if you can pick and choose what abilities you have? the whole point to having a choice of character types is to work with both the abilities and disabilities of that race!
    the way i see it, you want to fly, play a dragon. you want to sneak around real good, be a saris. you like to throw spells around, be a dryad.
    what are you looking for, phil? a multi skewl dragon? a flying fiend? maybe i am thinking you want too much. maybe if you told me what you have in mind, i might understand your stand better. but right now, i am not seeing your point at all, unfortunately......

super uber characters have no place in istaria, anyway, to my mind.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    okay not trying to be a beeatch here, but i still don't understand....

what is the point of having different races if you can pick and choose what abilities you have? the whole point to having a choice of character types is to work with both the abilities and disabilities of that race!
    No, the point to having different character types is for giving people the choice to work with much more than just abilities and disabilities. This is possibly about the depth of the mmo that's slowly wasting away. People tend to go stats first. Believe it or not, there are those who would never do such a thing. If I wanted uber I would have picked a dorf to go with my uber pali built.

the way i see it, you want to fly, play a dragon. you want to sneak around real good, be a saris. you like to throw spells around, be a dryad. what are you looking for, phil? a multi skewl dragon? a flying fiend? maybe i am thinking you want too much.
    Not anything like that at all. If I like, I would pick a dragon, dryad or saris for sure. I don't want to be any of those. I want to play a human (I've always wanted to be human). The issue here that's been talked about since BETA is that the human racial ability simply pale in comparison to some of the other racial abilities. To balance this isn't too much to ask, you think? At least that's what we thought 5 years ago.

Imagine they switched racials of dorf & human at release. How would the dorf players feel? I would expect them to say exactly what I'm saying right now.

Note: Exclude dragon from this. This is solely about biped racial ability. I really don't want the eternal crutch as part of this sort of discussion.

right now the biggest racial bonus for humans is the ability to play for free indefinitely

Can they buy plot and stuff?

They can "and stuff". As far as I know, the only thing those humans playing for free cannot do is own property. Plenty of construction projects about for anyone who wants to level construction, just ask in marketplace if anyone wants construction done for free.

As a pure spellcaster, I have found human magical aptitude to be quite useful. The accuracy increase IS noticeable, and so is the damage buff. With it on, I managed to do 303 damage... at level 36 mage. If I had burnout on I'd probably do more damage, since they do stack, but I've never tried.

However, I have to agree if you're a physical damage character that racial is completely useless...

Well dwarfs dwarven toughness only effects non spell type damage, it is useless against a caster.

Saris only get a extra sprint and small boost to life based magic

http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

this wiki might help you out with schools and races

Thread Information