Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comp Hunting

Lightbulb Comp Hunting

Just want to put in my 2 sense

If the prices on Nadia are so high, then that would make people go out and get there own comps. In doing so some people would find it a good way to make some coin. Now if more and more people are hunting comps and lots of them, the prices of these comps will drop because there will be more and more competition for the sale of these comps.. Make sense???

So eventually there won't be a need for Nadia except for the very rare comps.

This economy will build, just give it time.

Please post your thoughts

I think all of us get the idea, no one is argueing it happening for the most part. What people are argueing about is the ORDER in which it happened, and in particular the Specific cases OF the very rare drops.

They raised Nadia's prices happened without an announced change or announced intent to change the drops. Yes, there are threads by Smeglor and Amon on rarity of drops, but the old school cynics are pointing to a vast past history of delays in getting the 'fixes' in. It is possible that it'll take another 6-18 months before they actually adjust the drops of the really rare stuff.

Ideally people are argueing that they should have FIXED the drops and availability BEFORE jacking up Nadia's prices. Otherwise it's the tail wagging the dog, and we're left paying Nadia's extortionary price for equipment that we need to HUNT the stupid comps.

Try buying 12 Wing Golem Vapours along with 24 Zombie Ogre toes and a few Abomination bits... Good luck

Anyways, Overall I think it's good, but I think that they could have handled this better. True, now most comps won't be capped price wise by Nadia, but maybe they should consider why some comps might sell for half a gold if they REALLY removed Nadia.

-HratLi

I can agree with that, but some of these comps that people need will be on a conny near you soon,, i've even thought about going comp hunting myself just to help keep stuff stocked rather than making my money mass killing T5 blights

Umm they did announce it, The notes said that Nadia had to raise her prices.

And as far as drops, I had someone trade me crafting on my structure for 12 Blue vex and 12 Abom Chest skulls. I said ok. He did what he said he would do, and I did what I said I would do. And we completed our trade in one day. I think that worked great.

Jayne

Yeah,, i think we are gonna see alot more interactions with player trade for comps than purchases from Nadia

Yes you can count on it. Like I said this just happened to me after the change. Isn't that what everyone wanted?

yep. That's precisely what will happen. And you
    know what? Most aren't giving Tulga credit for
    just how smart this change is.

Gold is nearly meaningless in Istaria at the moment.
    There isn't really anything fun (yet) to spend your
    money on. But TIME... ah. Now THERE is something
    of great value to everyone.

Why did so many requests for crafted gear go
    unanswered for so long in MarketPlace? Why was
    no one willing to accept paid work on anothers plot?
    Because TIME is so much more valuable than COIN
    in Istaria, people just didn't have the incentive.

Now, as Jayne's situation so elegantly illustrates,
    players will exhange the products of their TIME,
    if they are not interested in accumluating coin.
    Crafters who may be unwilling to devote the time
    it might take to hunt down rare tech comps, will now
    barter their services to adventurers, who'd rather spend
    THEIR TIME hunting vs. crafting/constructing.

I gotta hand it to Tulga. There's more to the hiking
    of Nadia's prices than most realize...
    Got Cowbell?

Ok Helcat,, now if you could just explain this type of economy change to everybody else thats how it could be best explained right?? economy change?

Yup. Now I can hunt all the time and not worry about crafting if i so chose. Wow, now I have a choice.

As Don King would say "Only in Istaria"

Jayne

Altar

Why not just remove Nadia then if this will work so well then. It is not like she has always been around and if money is so meaningless then remove it too.
    I would not hazard a guess at the rating you all have but I would wager that it is way above 100.
    It has been stated that there is going to be a revamp of all the loot tables and then this will all make sense, if that is true then why not do both Nadia and revamp at the same time.
    It would have made more sense to raise Nadias price slowly over time than to raise them 3 to 4 times as much all a once.
    There appears to be a large gap in the game right now betwwen the "haves and have nots " I fail to see how this type of change will help.

These are just radmon thoughts so flame as you will, but it does remind me of post merge.

Its just gonna create a market on the conny's that we use to have back in the pre-merge days. Not saying that raising the prices doesn't suck, but it will evolve to a different type of economy.

Thanks for the posts

They didnt remove Nadia because she still has comps that are not attainable in game. Otherwise yes I think she would be gone.

As far as rating I am now a 145 rating, high but not near as high as many. When I hunted the Satyr's for my first and only set of T5 armor I was a single class level 100. I worked my butt off to get the comps to make that set of armor. And guess what, my set uses almost all hard to get comps. It is primarily 2HS, armor, and str.

I did not go and hunt all the comps and then make the armor. I focused on getting the comps for one piece at a time. I take pride in that accomplishment. To this day I still wear that same set of armor.

Altar

Hmmm.. and why wasn't there wasn't a market on the connies before these changes?
    I fail to see how raising Nadis's prices will change that. BUt I hope I'm wrong I guess time will tell.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce
    Its just gonna create a market on the conny's that we use to have back in the pre-merge days. Not saying that raising the prices doesn't suck, but it will evolve to a different type of economy.

Thanks for the posts
    I just got back into this game and am in need of making brand spanking new tier v armor with tier v techs. I made my list, checked it twice and now I am starting to collect the comps the old fashion way. Tonight I will start a thread about it and keep updating it as I work as a "testimonial" of what the status of hunting is like (also an easy way to get advice ).

TG is trying to reach the fine line where comps are not easy, but nor are they the grind. Personally, if when I hunt golems for example, where time vs reward is concerned, I expect to get a comp off of every 5-7 golems (of course this isnt usually the case). For something much more difficult, i.e. vextors or veteran blights, I would expect that ratio should be down to every 3-4. **Note, this is just my opinion of what should be happening

It should not be spoon fed, nor should it be a grind. But I would like to spend a few hours hunting and cross 6-10 comps off that list of 150.
    Hiko - Former Defender of Shadow
    100 Knight of Creation Hybrid
    -= Disciples =-
    BOYCOTTING THE SUMMONED SHIELD OF CREATION AS OF JULY 17TH, 2006

Well there was a market. Everytime I put some on sir aiden they sold. Everytime someone got word of mouth and knew I hunted comps I got lots of orders. And yes I sold them cheap. Was it worth my time to hunt them for the money I got, Hell no! But I had fun hunting and liked to help people.

But in the past 6 months I have not had one order till this recent one since the change. Why you ask? I think thats easy, because people just got used to paying 24s per comp. They finally got into the norm of that being the price since it was so easily available. Now the price changed and they are upset. And why is that? Because everyone wants everything yesterday. They have to have it now.

Jayne
    Last edited by Jayne; July 12th, 2006 at 08:38 PM.

Altar

"They didnt remove Nadia because she still has comps that are not attainable in game. Otherwise yes I think she would be gone."

Then maybe it would have made sense to just edit her inventory and leave only the comps that are not in the mob loot at this point. Then at least the palyers would be forced to set a price on the comps that are out there just like it was before Nadia showed up.

Good post Jayne,, and that makes great sense

Well its all a roll of the dice. Thats why I dont get upset when I go hunt for a few hours and get ZERO, yes I have gotten zero. From what, emerald golems.

I hunted the Satyr's just a couple days ago to fill this order I'm talking about and in 2-3 hours I got 7 abom chest skulls, 3 blue vex and 2 Ogre toes. Not to mention the other mobs that I kill while I search for the ones I want like Ghosts and skeletons. To me I thnk thats a pretty darn good amount for the time I spent.

Now its up to each person if they want to spend the time to get the comps for a certain tech. If you dont wanna do the work to get that tech then change the tech to something you can get more easily.

My vision of T5 is that it isnt supposed to be handed out like candy. And my vision of T5 tech's is that they are all different. Some are rarer then others. And if your a crafter then make a deal with some one thats an adventurer if you don't like to hunt.

Better yet, I have even done it where someone wants me to help them kill such and such mob. We kill them and they get the comps they need no charge and I get others ones.

As I said, I always look at ways to make it work for me. Such as I will never be able to craft a whole guild hall. I can do some but not all. I strike a deal up with a crafter that likes to build. They build my structure I get them a demon weapon or something of value that they don't want to try and get.

Jayne
    Last edited by Jayne; July 12th, 2006 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne
    Umm they did announce it, The notes said that Nadia had to raise her prices.

Jayne
    Jayne, Just to clarify :
    They raised Nadia's prices happened without an announced change or announced intent to change the drops.

I like the effect that raising the prices to increase the price cap has. It has made a real difference in most cases. The convenience of 24-30s comps was too much to really encourage people to go out there and hunt the comps. Think about it, 30s might be 15 blights or Grouks. I can kill that many in half an hour (I know I'm slow, and kill 1 at a time, about 1-2 minutes a kill). Compare THAT to the time it takes to hunt up a single zombie toe or Wind golem Vapour?

I just wanted to point out what others have said. A Loot Revamp is coming. It just made people irritated that this 'price correction' happened before the loot revamp did. And even after the loot revamp, there is no comment on what that entails other than they will 'look at our comments'.

Again. I already have my stash of teched out equipment and can hunt my own components now. I am just expressing why a lot of folks have had problems with the changes. I am happy the hunters are getting business again for things like Frags and other comps, it really does remove the artificial 'cap' that Nadia was creating in the economy. Most of the time, people are just too lazy to ASK a hunter for comps, they'll just pony up the few Silver for the convenience.

It's just that the ORDER in which it happened seems to point at a mentality that it's more important to remove the bandaids than it is to deal with the reason the bandaid was there to start. Personally *I* wouldn't touch the slippery slope of WHICH comps were 'rare' or not and can see why they bumped prices up across the board. But at least a concilitory note to the effect of WHEN we are likely to see relief on the harder to get items might have been nice too. Bonus points if it were in the same year Just my thoughts on the PR aspect of it.

-HratLi

Yes I agree in general about the order perception thing.

But, I think people are a little confused. Just because they say they are working on Confectioner doesnt mean thats all they are doing. Just because they say they will be looking at loot tables next doesnt mean they can't make some changes now. None of us go to work and do the same exact thing day in and day out, well I should hope none of us do. That would be very boring.

For instance, I left work yesterday the analyst of various types of data. Its a fun job, I do lots of different things. But I don't always get to do what I think I am supposed to do. Today I come to work and the stockroom guy took the day off so I am sitting here issuing tools and parts. Why because my boss told me too. And if my boss told me to plunger toilets today I would have to do that. And I don't care because if you wanna pay me 75K a year and I plunger a toilet then so be it.

Point is we all have bosses and I may be working on confectioner revamp one day or I might just get pulled off because a bunch of people are screaming because the comps went up in price and I have to deal with it. So Confectioner gets moved back another day...then another....then another....

Wow guess what now were 24 months with now exp forms or whatever it says in Ser's sig, LOL
    Last edited by Jayne; July 12th, 2006 at 09:37 PM.

Thread Information