Thread: Saga of Ryzom

Flachette

Default Saga of Ryzom

been reading about it and checking out the site seems pretty interesting. Anyone tried it and what are your thoughts about it?

Flachette

Default Re: Saga of Ryzom

heres a decent quick review of it http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm...;loadclass=174

the more I read the more I think I might like it, consensual onlyPvP, crafting seems good and best items are player made, dynamic world, extremly customizable player skills etc

Been playing for about three weeks - absolutley LOVE it! Has the best of Hz, with a lot of the more glaring bugaboosaddressed, such as PvP. While there are not as many playable races - four in all - they are just as customizable as those in Hz. There are no classes - you can make your toon into whatever you want, depending on what skills you acquire.

I look at it as a merger of the best elements of Horizons along with the best elements of Lineage 2. I'm very, very happy there for now.

Krald

Did they add more customisation then?

In the first open beta the fyros males may have had a lot of sliders to adjust things but they still looked the same. It wasn't like HZ where every single face is different. So did they address that?

That said, most other faces looked a lot more varied it was mostly just the fyros males that were almost-clones.

I would venture the opinon that the face customization is at least as comprehensive as Horizons. I've only made Matis characters, and I've found them to have a level of customization which suits me fine - including facial tattoos, nose and mouth placement - you actually slide the nose and mouth - independently - up and down on the face. You can select face shape, chin shape, nose and mouoth width, and of course hair colour and style, and eye colour.

One thing with body customization I've found is that you can't make the characters heavier (read non anorexic) without making them barrel shaped.

I like to think of Ryzom as having the best of both Horizons and Lineage 2.

Check out Ryzom vault for some screen shots of ccharacter creation - Sassee just did a slew of them last week.

http://ryzomvault.ign.com

Most likely in a crafting field somewhere

How large is the playerbase? i have never heard of this game before.

How about the economy? I for one like making money through trading/haggling, are there alot of ingame items to do this? I can only compare my thoughts to uo as that is one of the main gmaes i have played for a long period of time, HZ doesnt seem to have the same kind of economy i loved to play uo for. The main reasons being there are not as many "rares" or "unique" items, also without being able to place items in your house/buildings directly that swipes out a huge sellable section of items. Im babbling so i may not be making any sence.

Proud and loyal members of Battalion
    Xarii Ani - Dryad - Chaos shard
    Quazi Ani - Dragon - Chaos shard

Tried the Beta.....was alot like EQ....Evercamp
    16 100 crafting classes....getting closer

I'm not sure as to the size of the playerbase at this time. I can tell you that while it's easy to find other PC's, it's also very easy to find solitude as well - so it's not overcrowded by any standards. And there's no shortage of MOBs, anywhere - camping is just not an issue as yet.

I didn't bother with the Beta, though I was signed up - I was too involved with Hz at the time. I've heard a LOT about what was wrong during beta, and I'll venture the opinon that Nevrax must have looked into the problems, because the game seems pretty smooth to me. The only major issue I ran into was the Linksys router 10 minute cutout. I found a workaround for it on the boards without any trouble, but if I hadn't, that would have been a deal breaker for me.

One problem with crafting that's raised some concern is the lack of consigners. Like Lineage 2, it appears that if you want to sell something, you have to park yourself and wait. There are hawkers ingame which I surmise might end up taking a consignment function - they have wares from different cultures, though I haven't been able to buy from them yet. That's conjecture on my part though - I haven't seen anything official about it.

Flachette

taken from the Nov. 3rd patch notes for Saga of Ryzom, looks like the lack of consigners has been fixed

"WHAT'S NEW

[ G e n e r a l ]

. The merchant system is now live. It enables you to sell any sellable items, goods as long as they are not worn (they need to be 'new' in order to be sellable by the merchant). You need to go see a merchant, the merchant will then take your item for a minimum price and you can define your own selling price. Your selling price is the price displayed for other players. If your item is bought by another player, you will then get your selling price minus dappers given to you by the NPC...."

Just finished playing after the patch - I expect some "adjustments" to the fight models, as it's become quite a bit easier to die now. It's a bit reminsicent of the situation we had in Hz after the merge, when it became next to impossible to level because the MOB's had gotten so difficult. This isn't near as bad, though - first and formemost, the MOBs are still in the same place. DP's remain easy to work off as well - usually killing 5 or 6 level appropriate MOBs will do the trick.

The NPC consignment feature is in - you get the selling price, and if it's resold, you get the selling price again. New merchants for jewelry and tools have been added as well.

I'm trying this out with the 14-day trial, which I think was a great move for them. So far, I am really liking most of the things I've seen and done. Probably my main gripe is that there is no way to set a key to target group members, which I am very used to in both EQ and Horizons. I still have a lot of getting used to, but I'm thinking of continuing with the game. It runs very well on my system. This game is unique in many ways, and I like how there is more of a Sci-Fi feel to it, just for some variation from the many fantasy MMORPGs I've been involved in.

I also got a mail with the free 14-day trial.
    How big is the download?
    Susan - Lvl 85 Tink and many, many other crafting classes
    Andarielle - Lvl 100 Adv / Lvl 100 Cra Dragoness

Former ICE

I bought the box, and I haven't been able to get a figure from the boards or the download sites, but suffice it to say it's not dial-up friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan
    I also got a mail with the free 14-day trial.
    How big is the download?
    It was somewhere around 1.13 GB. My connection dropped halfway through, but I was able to continue the same download once I reconnected, fortunately.

I just got finished with my two-week trial of SoR. I decided not to continue playing it. There were a lot of positives imo about the game, but I did get bored rather quickly and found I was not able to solo much beyond 27 magician.

On the plus side, the game was totally lag-free, ran smooth, and I never had a problem with reduction in frame rates. It was very nice performance-wise. Grouping, when I was able to find a group, went well and I had no problems in combat, updates on health bars (or sap bars, etc), and it was nice for a change. But groups were scarce and people hard to find around my level who actually wanted to group.

What made me decide not to continue was that the monsters were all basically upgraded copies of the lower mobs you start out with.It seemed too repetitive as I would constantly be doing the same spells (in my case acid damage and root), throwing in a heal once in a while. There were also so many skills that I could have purchased, but did not because I could not save up enough skill points to buy but only one or two every 4-5 levels, in each of the areas (fighting, mage, crafting, harvesting). Now, if there was another way to earn skill points other than leveling, I would have tried to earn them before I was too high to really consider purchasing a certain skill.

Item decay is in there, something I don't prefer, but I was lucky to find enough player-made armour, weapons, etc., for purchase at the merchants and the prices not too terrible.

I understand that the mounts are being implemented and will be available soon, which is something I would have like to try out, but with WoW coming out next week, I decided not to have my card charged the $29.99 for the game and another $15.00 for the sub. Overall, it was a decent game, but just not my style.

Ziggy

SoR sounds and looks nice on the websites, unfortunately i wasn't able to get past the patcher. I struggled through 2 different tech guys for a month and a week and still no luck whatsoever. I'm just glad i only wasted $50 instead of $65.

...Ryzom got really butchered by Adrenaline Vault, and they're just about the only reviewers I take seriously...

Most likely in a crafting field somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium
    ...Ryzom got really butchered by Adrenaline Vault, and they're just about the only reviewers I take seriously...
    I personally like to judge things for myself, i very rarely go by reviews. Unless it is HUGELY bias in a certain direct.

Proud and loyal members of Battalion
    Xarii Ani - Dryad - Chaos shard
    Quazi Ani - Dragon - Chaos shard

I tried the 14 day trial, but I wasn't really impressed myself. Although it did seem like a good game many will enjoy, it just didn't seem to appeal to me.
    - The Paladin is the Judge, the Jury and Executioner!
    - Zarcharien Justice - Lvl 100 Paladin & 71 Armorer
    - "Evil can only triumph, if Good stands by and does nothing."

Thread Information