Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The New Subscription Model

Default Re: The New Subscription Model

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage View Post
    What is WRONG with you people here? I know what it is... but you won't admit it.
    1 word... Spoiled.
    <snip>
    Quoted for Truth

(<snip>'d for length)

Quote Originally Posted by Horizons CS View Post
    Grandfather Subscription . . . . will be available until September 15, 2007.
    15 days is too short, it should be a month, better if two . . . . but if you think that is enough time to earn to earn trust and for players to raise sufficient funds, then so be it.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Thank you for all the effort you guys have put in so far on this, I understand everyone's viewpoints, and we all have to make up our own minds. While some may argue that this game isn't worth $14.95/month because it isn't as polished or have as much content or whatever as the more well known games out there, I disagree for two reasons: crafting and dragons. This game's crafting system, while in need of some work is still better than most in my opinion and this is the only game out there that allows you to play a dragon.

Drelohan
    originally from Spirit, now living on Order

Well, again, the Grandfathered account being limited from the Dalimond Buffet doesn't make any sense.

Say I opt for the 6 month or year Grandafathered plans. I'm already down capabilities from the Gifted sub anyway and, if a few months into my sub, I decide I want an extra char slot, more consigner slots, etc, I have to go and get ANOTHER "Gifted" sub to get it.

Again, what is the logic behind limiting Grandfathered accounts from the Dalimond Buffet, because I sure don't see it?
    Last edited by Pharcellus; August 31st, 2007 at 06:02 AM.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

To me personally, I feel that what has been with the new subscription model is attempt to move forward and make as reasonable a compromise as can be had.

To me that is enough. I'm just happy that now we have developers that have the passion and care for the game that has been lacking for far too long. Small steps so far that is true. but these small steps have done more to improve game play for everyone, than we have received from any devs in the last 2 years.

I applaud the effort and the RISK these guys are taking to try and resurrect Horizons. My intent at this point is to resub with 2 gifted subs for 14.95 each a month. On a monthly basis this gives them more money to work with. I just hope many of you will not worry so much about a measly 2 dollars.
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Quote Originally Posted by Meloric View Post
    I've seen the question about the Grandfathered Block option asked twice so for those of you who asked... This is from the top of first page after the Grandfather Block Subscription choice was added. I underlined and Bolded the part that answers that question.
    Meh. Woulda been helped if they'd bolded the stuff they changed. (Partly my fault; I wasn't fully conscious when I read the updated version.)

Quote Originally Posted by Aamer Khan View Post
    I just hope many of you will not worry so much about a measly 2 dollars.
    I think some have stated that $2.00 does mean a lot. Some people are on very tight budgets.

I think that VI has done tried to accommodate everyone, so that near term, the ownership change won't affect anyone pricewise, unless they so chooose (i.e, upgrade to gifted sub or add ala carte things). But let's not dismiss $2.00 and those that might not be able to afford 1 or 2 or more subs on their budgets. I've had my days of eating ramen for weeks or trying to manage on less than $30/week for groceries.

And I'm sorry, but what is this Dalimond Buffet? I did not see this in the original post?

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcellus View Post
    Say I opt for the 6 month or year Grandafathered plans. I'm already down capabilities from the Gifted sub anyway
    That is exactly how it is intended! There is "the old subscription" and then there is "the new subscription". If you get the old subscription, it means you pay the old price and have all the features of the old subscription including none of the new ones.

If you want to take advantage of the new features ("Dalimond Buffet"), you need to pay the new price. It makes sense.

OT: "Dalimond Buffet" makes me think of something a hungry Lunus would go to.

OT2: I'm suprised nobody has asked what the "Dock" is.

OT3: What is this "Dock" that Vi is talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Horizons CS View Post
    The paint on the billing system is not even dry...

Here's the plan - we want to figure out a technical solution for Unity players (like Vahrokh and other Unity Players) so they can migrate over to Order or Chaos. We spent some time looking at the problem before tackling billing, but there's work involved and problems we need to figure out. Once we know one way or another (read: we really want to get those character moved over but technical issues have to be dealt with), we'll begin Plot Reclamation.

Horizons CS
    Migrate Unity characters to Order or Chaos? ...... Horizons CS, you made me the happiest player ever for even considering it *has the biggest grin she could possible have*

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaraiden View Post
    15 days is too short, it should be a month, better if two . . . . but if you think that is enough time to earn to earn trust and for players to raise sufficient funds, then so be it.
    This is purely a guess...
    I would imagine that the copy from Unity to either Chaos or Order has something to do with the limit of 15 days. I'm imagining something like this: give people 15 days to come back grandfathered, plus however long it takes to get plot reclamation going (hopefully not long), reclaim plots to make space for the Unity folks, then port over all the Unity folks with completed plots or novians and a plot marker if their plot is still claimed. They likely want to move on the Unity port by the middle of October, if at all possible, so that would indeed be a limit on how long to leave the grandfather option open.
    OK, done guessing now, we now return you to your regularly scheduled commentary and debate.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    That is exactly how it is intended! There is "the old subscription" and then there is "the new subscription". If you get the old subscription, it means you pay the old price and have all the features of the old subscription including none of the new ones.
    The point is to entice old players to come back. $14.95 does not do that like $12.95 may. $12.95, even with the limitations for those who already have accounts still should be able to take advantage of the upgrades, since the only thing it has going for it is the $2/month discount. People who are paying for that account option are already getting more than $2 less features per month as it is (75 consigner slots for $3.75, 2 charater slots for $2.00, $5.75 less in features total), but are additionally being penalized by being barred from the Buffet. In addition, prepaying in blocks, something which they should want people to do right now, is further discouraged by the requirement to get a Gifted sub on top of what they already paid for just to get, say, another character slot, or another plot, etc. That is NOT an enticement for old players to return. It's basically saying (to me at least) "don't bother with this option; it's not worth it".

As such, it doesn't make any sense from a VALUE proposition. THAT is what I am talking about.

Dalimond Buffet is my "Istarian name" for the A La Carte system.

The Dock is in Dalimond; sounds like they are making a shoulder Duck.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

So if I'm reading the block subscription edit to the original post correctly the grandfathered block purchase is a one shot deal. That means that say I purchase a 6 month block when that time is up I am expected to switch to a non grandfathered account? I'm still thinking that anyone who qualifies for a grandfathered account should be of immediate priority and alienating those folks is a bad idea. The only good thing I see is that it gives those of us who are in the wait and see crowd the option to wait and see without loosing our plots.

well, as I see it, what they are doing is saying "In order to thank those of you who played before, if you buy a 1 year grandfathered account we will give you a 1 time 25% discount over the regular 1 year accounts!"

That is NOT an enticement for old players to return. It's basically saying (to me at least) "don't bother with this option; it's not worth it".
    When you grandfather something, that means you keep it as it was. Players have the option of keeping the $12.95 price for the lifetime of their subscription, or buying a block for up to a year, and they get exactly what they have been getting up to this point. They even get a substantial discount for buying a block. What they don't get are the new options.

You can't have it both ways. You can choose the old subscription type or the new one with the options, and that's far more choice than most subscription-based games offer people.

As for incentives, I think a lot of vets will find getting one year at $9.95 a month is a considerable incentive, even as a one-shot deal. Others, who plan to be here for a while, will like the long-term savings of the Grandfathered monthly The 'Dalimond Buffet' is nice, but not everyone will see it as a must-have option. I certainly don't. Show me a shoulder pet or a nice emblem or a tie-dyed headscale or some funky shorts- that's what I consider an incentive!
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    The 'Dalimond Buffet' is nice, but not everyone will see it as a must-have option. I certainly don't. Show me a shoulder pet or a nice emblem or a tie-dyed headscale or some funky shorts- that's what I consider an incentive!
    New Ale MUG!!

Looks great, thanks for the discounts and im in. I would like to see some information on the Military accounts.
    Roguar the Zerker
    Drinker of Ale
    Order, Scoin
    why can i not sell hoard to a PB?

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    You can't have it both ways. You can choose the old subscription type or the new one with the options, and that's far more choice than most subscription-based games offer people.
    Actually if you have 2 accounts you can have it both ways according to Horizons_CS.

You can merge a grandfather year sub, and a gifted year sub together. This gives you 2 concurrent logins of any 12 of your character slots (2 extra for the gifted sub) and gives another 75 consignment slots to use, as well as retaining the 2 properties I have presently. Plus it leaves you open to use the "a la carte" system (as some are pushing *dalimond buffet*)

After a year, my grandfather account will revert to a regular one.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

As long as bugs get fixed and I see new players who stay im fine with this. Though I do personally feel a little more work should of been done to get rid of some of the more breaking bugs such as the game not working on Vista before asking for payment. Or you could put a label on the front of the game that says "Vista incompatable". Many people will expect results.

Waiting, watching, and recoring history as I always have. I'll be around. See you in game.
    We seek only that is wich in our hearts, for no greater foe then ourselves there is.
    Leader of Silver Dawn community.
    Forums: http://forums.ravenhawk.us/index.php
    Gallery: http://www.ravenhawk.us

Learn, share, grow, ascend..

If you love what we're doing and are ready to get both feet wet (we're already in and it's only going to get better), there are 6 and 12 month Gifted Subscription available. We are also putting together something special to show our appreciation for anyone who takes advantage of this offer between now and when we start Plot Reclamation.
    So what is this something special going to be? Not sure many would even sub to this with current options but I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    To my knowledge, multiple subs on the same account have never been 2 for the price of 1, or even discounted. Why demand this now when they are trying to increase revenues?
    They can increase revenues and give us more at the same time. Gaining or losing is all in the eye of the beholder. I would have paid a few bucks more for an extra login, but I am not paying for an extra account just for that. So did they gain a few bucks or lose a few bucks there? Sure... alot will buy extra accounts and alot wont, but I assume most who do it do it mostly because they want extra plots. I simply asked for an extra login. Doesn't seem that much to me. Also in perspective, if you live in California you could be looking at buying a house for $700,000 that costs less than $100,000 here in Michigan. I tried to look at it the other way but to me it looks like gouging where functionality is for sale and not cheaply at that.

The point is to entice old players to come back. $14.95 does not do that like $12.95 may. $12.95, even with the limitations for those who already have accounts still should be able to take advantage of the upgrades, since the only thing it has going for it is the $2/month discount. People who are paying for that account option are already getting more than $2 less features per month as it is (75 consigner slots for $3.75, 2 charater slots for $2.00, $5.75 less in features total), but are additionally being penalized by being barred from the Buffet. In addition, prepaying in blocks, something which they should want people to do right now, is further discouraged by the requirement to get a Gifted sub on top of what they already paid for just to get, say, another character slot, or another plot, etc. That is NOT an enticement for old players to return. It's basically saying (to me at least) "don't bother with this option; it's not worth it".

As such, it doesn't make any sense from a VALUE proposition. THAT is what I am talking about.

Dalimond Buffet is my "Istarian name" for the A La Carte system.

The Dock is in Dalimond; sounds like they are making a shoulder Duck.
    Here! Here!

Thread Information