Thread: Tell ME when you have a problem

Default Tell ME when you have a problem

You wanna know something I don't get? (Don't answer that.)

The seemingly large amount of people in game who won't bother to tell you something's wrong, but instead go running to their GM or running to file a ticket on someone's supposed behavior. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about something wrong being cheating or verbal abuse. I'm talking about rumormongering. I'm talking about disagreeing with someone.

I'm really sick of the people who always seem to act like they've been victimized because, horror of horrors, someone disagreed with them.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in specific, but this is a trend I've been watching develop over the past few months. It seems many don't want to fend for themselves and they definitely don't want to hear anything that conflicts with their point of view.

If you have a problem with what someone says, take it up with them. For all you know, they could just be really bad at talking about their point of view or having a really cruddy day and it just came out wrong. Before you believe the rumors, talk with the subject of said rumors. It could be something that just got blown WAY out of proportion. (Again, not singling anyone out here.) If it turns out there really is a problem, THEN that's the time to take it to a higher level.

If you have a problem with something I've personally said or done, take it up with ME. Regardless of whether or not I agree with you, I'll respect you a lot more than if you send someone else in to do your talking.

Default Re: Tell ME when you have a problem

I must say, I have to agree. I have noticed a lot of people, and again, no specific finger pointing here, will say something, someone else doesn't take it the way it was meant, and bamO! huge blow up. In the required communication class I took the instructor actually said something that seemed to make sense to me.

Communication, is not what you mean, it is not what you say, it is not what whoever hears, it is what whoever perceives your meaning to be.

Thus, there is always the chance that what you thought someone must have meant or said, is really way off topic, and, could even have been a mistell to boot. If, for some reason, it strikes you that what was said was inappropriate, aggrivating or just not understood, take the time to ask what was meant. Talk to the person. You might find out that what you thought you heard (read) was something of an entirely different meaning.

Another lesson on communication was from the military. It is a short story.

Napolean had a private come into his office, and would tell the private the plans for the next meeting of generals. Napolean would then have the private tell him what was just said. In that manner, Napolean would know if his communication was working.

Taking time for communication, real communication, not mere assumption, can truely be rewarding.

Tempests
    Bring me my Broadsword, and clear understanding.

You don't agree with me?! Well! You're just an evil person! We can't be friends anymore! You're not worth my time if you can't stroke my ego! </sarcasm>

<delete /> ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    You don't agree with me?! Well! You're just an evil person! We can't be friends anymore! You're not worth my time if you can't stroke my ego! </sarcasm>

<delete /> ?
    I may not stroke your ego, but I've held your Wii...doesn't that count for something? (sorry, couldn't resist.)

I saw an aweful lot of this with the Order community movement too. Things wouldn't be voted the way they thought they should be and so they leave the whole movement altogether or worse, try and stop it.

In that case, it was like saying, "I don't like who got voted into office, so I'm going to start riots and try and overthrow the government."

I finally gave up. Online people are "taught" (through a strange form of non-resistance) that they can be as caustic as they want to people and there is no punishment or even consequence.

If one were to try it in real life, they'd find themselves jobless and friendless, and mostly likely drunk in some alley somewhere.

*Snort* I'll stop here. This has long been a pet peeve of mine, since way back in the EQ days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokoz View Post
    I saw an aweful lot of this with the Order community movement too. Things wouldn't be voted the way they thought they should be and so they leave the whole movement altogether or worse, try and stop it.

In that case, it was like saying, "I don't like who got voted into office, so I'm going to start riots and try and overthrow the government."
    Well, when the person (self-appointed, as I recall) started taking private conversations COMPLETELY out of context and posting them in public channels to start trouble, what would one expect to be a good response to that?

Very few tried to stop it; most just went their own way and left it to rot in its own putrescence.

*Snort* I'll stop here. This has long been a pet peeve of mine, since way back in the EQ days.
    Yeah, it's been a pet peeve of mine since college days, where I got a REAL taste of just how rotten people can be to one another, even in person.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

*Scratches Kala behind the ears*

Wish I could tell you it was just some twit to ignore, but it seems to be a growing trend these days. I've worked retail for 11 years and it seems a growing amount of people will whine and complain to try and get their way. Others seem to get a kick being jerks to others.

It doesn't help that a lot think they're anonymous online and can do as they want with zero regard for others. They treat PC's like an NPC to do what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    I may not stroke your ego, but I've held your Wii...doesn't that count for something? (sorry, couldn't resist.)
    Oh, and you go all ellipsis on us when we start in chat.....
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakkon View Post
    *Scratches Kala behind the ears*

Wish I could tell you it was just some twit to ignore, but it seems to be a growing trend these days. I've worked retail for 11 years and it seems a growing amount of people will whine and complain to try and get their way. Others seem to get a kick being jerks to others.

It doesn't help that a lot think they're anonymous online and can do as they want with zero regard for others. They treat PC's like an NPC to do what they want.
    *purrs at the scritching*

Well, quite frequently, I do wind up ignoring the person. Maybe not with the /ignore function, but I do try to pay less attention to them.

Quote Originally Posted by tramsan View Post
    Oh, and you go all ellipsis on us when we start in chat.....
    Only sometimes.

Hey Steelclaw, sounds like Zur is getting annoyed at the younger dragons again. That annoys me so much. Can you talk to her for me? :P

Heh sorry I had to. -_- Anyway Zur I know what you're saying. It bothers me too when people just pussyfoot around others when half the time it's a problem that could be avoided or rectified with two sentences of general contact. Anyway you know I love you. I'll try not to piss you off....to much.
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

unforutnatley this isn't just worse or getting worse in Horizons...

..but in all gaming...

..and not even in gaming - I'm amazed at how many people I supposedly "know" in RL who, when they have the tinyest problem, won't just come to me and go "hey Id ont like that..."

its...well sometimes even I'm speechless...
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Thread Information