Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chronicles of Istaria Discussion

Default Chronicles of Istaria Discussion

Chronicles of Istaria Contest

For your discussion pleasure!

Default Re: Chronicles of Istaria Discussion

*dances around with glee* Forget about school homework! This sounds way more fun!

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

you betcha

I am already typing a story
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage View Post
    you betcha

I am already typing a story
    I just finished. Being able to do something other than play games means its gotta be good.

Cant wait to see the other stories. Thank you for a fun contest. I enjoyed writing.

Do you guys mine if i kinda made a 15 paged LONG story it gives Dragons new powers and if you take it from a loar point you will be able to completely Revamp the dragon race so that we have classes ex Fire, ice, earth, water, lightning
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Lightning Claw, that sounds like something that would be better posted as a player-created story. The judges have the last word, of course, but it sounds like it's not really on topic, and 15 pages is way over the 2,000 word limit.

You can't win a contest if you don't follow the rules...
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Horizons CS View Post
    Chronicles of Istaria Contest

For your discussion pleasure!
    Hmmmm... mine avatar had thought to make a making of a song... and being of warped mind had set him to the child's ditty of green bottles. But it came too short... and thus it was:

100000000000000000000000000 green Blight things
    Standing by the bridge
    100000000000000000000000000 green Blight things
    Standing by the bridge
    But if the Lightning
    Should just one finger twitch.....
    There'd be no green blight things
    Standing by the bridge.

Ah me. That one is a fool and thrice so. So I have sent it back to the maunderings it calls thought. It is a trial indeed to bear such a doddering spirit...

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save the Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    Lightning Claw, that sounds like something that would be better posted as a player-created story. The judges have the last word, of course, but it sounds like it's not really on topic, and 15 pages is way over the 2,000 word limit.

You can't win a contest if you don't follow the rules...
    i know i know but i cant read the rules i will Not Put adobie on my computer

can i spoof a song instead
    Fall out boy sugar where're going down to Epion Golems your going down !
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

I'm not sure what Adobe has to do with the contest. We don't WANT you submitting in PDF format. PDF's won't be accepted. You'd need Adobe Reader in order to read the full rules, granted, but doesn't everyone have that these days?

The basics of the rules are posted on the Announcements. And those rules clearly state that submissions shouldn't be longer than 2000 words, and should follow the holiday theme. So unless you're using a REALLY HUGE font for your 15 page document, and it's somehow on the holiday them along with the rest, it isn't eligible for this particular contest. The song might be, depends on where you're going with it. And remember, if you're spoofing a song, when you do submit you need to include what song you're spoofing.

And glad to see people are excited.

Ummmm just because I have no way as of yet determining how long 2000 words would be....... can someone give me an estimate? Like, what, is that around 3 pages or something?(not doubled space) I dread the day I finally have to count how many words I typed. If anyone knows a way that my computer can just do the counting for me.... pleeeeeeeease let me know. Oh.... and no, don't suggest anything having to do with microsoft word.... I don't know why but mine has somehow broken itself. O.o

Try Open Office perhaps? Virtualy the same programs as Microsoft has; but free. And quite usable, I find. You can load in microsoft's files btw (like excel-sheets, and word-doc's); and even save them back to that format if you would wish to do so. You can download the package from http://www.openoffice.org/

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthia View Post
    Ummmm just because I have no way as of yet determining how long 2000 words would be....... can someone give me an estimate? Like, what, is that around 3 pages or something?(not doubled space) I dread the day I finally have to count how many words I typed. If anyone knows a way that my computer can just do the counting for me.... pleeeeeeeease let me know. Oh.... and no, don't suggest anything having to do with microsoft word.... I don't know why but mine has somehow broken itself. O.o
    back in my skewl days, i got real adapt at doing word counts...who wants to write a longer than need skewl paper?
    2000 words is about 4.5-5 pages double spaced in ms word, so single spaced would be about 2 or 3.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Galilee View Post
    Try Open Office perhaps? Virtualy the same programs as Microsoft has; but free. And quite usable, I find. You can load in microsoft's files btw (like excel-sheets, and word-doc's); and even save them back to that format if you would wish to do so. You can download the package from http://www.openoffice.org/

yeah open office is a nice prog.......if you can't take word, it is a very good alternative!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Wow that's really leanient on word count. *cracks knuckles* This should be cake.

*glomps Galilee* Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo very much! O.O You have no idea how much easier you just made my life. (now ... if only I had this when I was writing down my college essays X________x)

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    I'm not sure what Adobe has to do with the contest. We don't WANT you submitting in PDF format. PDF's won't be accepted. You'd need Adobe Reader in order to read the full rules, granted, but doesn't everyone have that these days?

The basics of the rules are posted on the Announcements. And those rules clearly state that submissions shouldn't be longer than 2000 words, and should follow the holiday theme. So unless you're using a REALLY HUGE font for your 15 page document, and it's somehow on the holiday them along with the rest, it isn't eligible for this particular contest. The song might be, depends on where you're going with it. And remember, if you're spoofing a song, when you do submit you need to include what song you're spoofing.

And glad to see people are excited.
    the Rules are downloaded in PDF Format and adobie aint touching this compie can you post the full set of rules Pleas !

I would presume that the reason they put the full rules in PDF format is because the announcement of the contest was also sent out through email to reach those that are subscribed to the game but don't read these forums.

PDF format is generally chosen in situations like this because the author can be certain that the reader can view the document as designed no matter what text editing program the reader has, no matter what the language settings on the reader's computer are, no matter what operating system the reader has, and can be incorporated into any web browser. Its also chosen for email documents for many of the same reasons, particularly with international mailings where US vs. European vs. Asian versions of the software and operating systems often play havoc with document formats, even when sent as unprofessional plain-text, along with the additional benefits of reducing email size (being able to host the PDF and include just a link) and cutting down on the spam-score (so more of your audience receives it).

I discovered all of this when I had to research what format to send out our school's monthly eBulletin to an international audience. The best format - most universally acceptable - was an HTML email with a link to the eBulletin in PDF format for easy reading and printing.

So, just being curious from this professional point of view, what is your issue with the PDF format or with the free Adobe Reader?
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

To get a word count in MS Office (2000 and up)

File ---> Properties ---> statistics tab

while you are writing your story.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Oakleif View Post
    I would presume that the reason they put the full rules in PDF format is because the announcement of the contest was also sent out through email to reach those that are subscribed to the game but don't read these forums.

PDF format is generally chosen in situations like this because the author can be certain that the reader can view the document as designed no matter what text editing program the reader has, no matter what the language settings on the reader's computer are, no matter what operating system the reader has, and can be incorporated into any web browser. Its also chosen for email documents for many of the same reasons, particularly with international mailings where US vs. European vs. Asian versions of the software and operating systems often play havoc with document formats, even when sent as unprofessional plain-text, along with the additional benefits of reducing email size (being able to host the PDF and include just a link) and cutting down on the spam-score (so more of your audience receives it).

I discovered all of this when I had to research what format to send out our school's monthly eBulletin to an international audience. The best format - most universally acceptable - was an HTML email with a link to the eBulletin in PDF format for easy reading and printing.

So, just being curious from this professional point of view, what is your issue with the PDF format or with the free Adobe Reader?
    to answer your question it takes forever to weed out of your system .
    that and i am a Full supporter of Microsoft Word .

Quote Originally Posted by lightning claw View Post
    to answer your question it takes forever to weed out of your system .
    No, uninstall works pretty well on Acrobat Reader.

that and i am a Full supporter of Microsoft Word .
    I'm sorry. Do you take Lithium for that? :P

================================================== ======

In any case, yes, I see the irony in the situation. "Submit only text!" "Rules are in this PDF, though...".

"Doesn't everyone have Acrobat Reader?" Don't you all?

Seriously, take the rules out of the PDF and put them on the website as HTML. I mean, that's what a website is for, ya know?
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Thread Information