Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ascension...

Default Ascension...

So, not that I figure I'm anywhere close to ascension, but is there anything I should work on here in my 20's to prepare?

I've heard varying opinions on when a hatchling is ready for ascension: 35-ish, 50+, as soon as they can craft the materials, when they can solo it...

Anyone have an opinion on this? I figure I'm in this for the long haul so if I have to get to 80-something as a hatchling I'm up for it, but I want to ensure I'm not taking any shortcuts and actually earn it by community standards.

So, I guess I need to know what that standard is, or if there is in fact a standard.

Thanks for your time...

Default Re: Ascension...

You can start your rites as early as 30adv/craft (tho I think craft can be as low as 20 dont recall now) but its recomended that you wait till later as it'll be easier for you and you can assist more in the fights, or have to hunt down a crafting station and/or scales that give enough boost to craft the items that you need.
    Most folks recomend waiting till 50ish as thats when you can also get some hatchling only scales that are kind of nice.

Furthermore, Im not sure on Chaos's customs when it comes to ascending, tho I hear they're fairly laid back, but on Order there are/were (havent played in a while) quite a few taht will give you flack for choosing to ascend pre-50.

Pretty much what Tcei said. On chaos there's a mix of us. I'm of the "wait til at least 50" variety, which was pretty much the viewpoint from Unity, simply coz at 30 you'll pretty much be watching others do the questing for you. Not that anyone will hate you for it if you go for it, you just may not get quite so much respect at first. However there are plenty of mid-30 adults around so don't be influenced by that!

You can start at 30/20 btw, though you will need more than 20 craft to do some of the items, I think 32 + scales is about the minimum. It also depends if you're going Lunus or Helian; the Lunus has more fighting and the Helian more crafting I believe, Helian is also supposed to be a bit harder (not done Helian yet so can't comment)

On Unity I did mine as 50/35 and had few problems; I got an ancient from my guild to help with the tougher fights but I could do a lot of it on my own in between the main bosses, plus got the hatchling scales which are very nice scales and should last you a long time (longer than a crafted lvl 50 chest scale would)
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

I waited until 50 and do not regret it one bit. The feeling of being able to take on some mobs during your ROP on your own is a wonderful feeling. I will mirror the "At 30 you're basically watching, not doing" opinion.

Well, scratch that. I kind of wish I had gotten to 60 crafter so I could do my own obsidian, but good enough. Gave my A'mea something to do. *grins*

I'm still wearing my 50 hatchie scale and some consider that to be the community standard.

Plus, face it. Once you're an adult you don't get free hoard anymore I've also found it has made my wing much more enjoyable. To have to get to 50 craft running around, then getting the freedom of flight is something well remembered.

I do miss my hatchling hop.

Thanks all,

It sounds like I should revel in my hoppiness till at least 50, and as I'm attempting to keep my crafting level even with my adventure level I'll re-visit the RoP at 50/50-ish.

Though, I do wish there was a bit more "craft" and a bit less "haul rocks around" but if everyone else can do it, so can I.

a good decision, Raesh

I sign what Pevil and Shian said
    Being ancient on Unity, Flameus and me will not start RoP before the 50ties.

Maybe we do it together then?

Quote Originally Posted by Raeshlavik View Post

Though, I do wish there was a bit more "craft" and a bit less "haul rocks around" but if everyone else can do it, so can I.
    Crafting is *very* difficult if you do not have the patience for it.... but it is well worth it in the end. At the very least, you are still getting status points which will help your adventuring along. As long as you are able to keep *something* in your mind that will tell you it is worth it, keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Crafting is *very* difficult if you do not have the patience for it.... but it is well worth it in the end. At the very least, you are still getting status points which will help your adventuring along. As long as you are able to keep *something* in your mind that will tell you it is worth it, keep it.
    Yeah. I ground out 25 crafting last night and got the ability to make my own slate wing scale so it was certainly worth the effort.

I don't think, for me at least, that it's a problem with patience as much as a problem with available time... I get an hour, maybe two, every few days and when I log in I can either:

(A) Work on adventuring skills by hunting down and tactically combating critters while trying like the dickens to avoid death points, or
    (B) Dig at a slate node for 45 seconds, waddle to the next slate node and dig for 45 seconds, and after doing this for about an hour waddle to nearest machine and "craft" for 10-15 seconds for a quarter bar of craft exp.

Option (A) is certainly more dynamic and involving while option (B) usually has me watching TV for 45 seconds out of every minute.

It's all fun, but I definitely wish crafting wasn't so arduous... It would even be more acceptable in my mind if the crafting portion took slightly more time than 'instant' - then it would feel more like a crafting system versus a gathering system.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    a good decision, Raesh

I sign what Pevil and Shian said
    Being ancient on Unity, Flameus and me will not start RoP before the 50ties.

Maybe we do it together then?
    It will most likely be quite some time before I reach 50 with my hour or two every few days to play, but if manage to keep up, I'd be honored to do the Rites with other folks.

As far as the crafting goes, it can be good to level it with your adventure, if you can find a good spot. For example, I did this on Unity after I'd already gotten my wings, but I was something like 50 adv, 45 craft, and I was over at Drift Point making Granite scales. I would harvest the nodes there, but at the same time kill the granite golems and harvest them. So I wasn't just doing the boring "dig dig dig" but getting to kill stuff, gather hoard and coin at the same time AND level my crafting. I did that for about 20 levels. Didn't find a good place to do it for the later tiers though, but for Slate try Slate Crest.
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

Quote Originally Posted by pevil2000 View Post
    As far as the crafting goes, it can be good to level it with your adventure, if you can find a good spot. For example, I did this on Unity after I'd already gotten my wings, but I was something like 50 adv, 45 craft, and I was over at Drift Point making Granite scales. I would harvest the nodes there, but at the same time kill the granite golems and harvest them. So I wasn't just doing the boring "dig dig dig" but getting to kill stuff, gather hoard and coin at the same time AND level my crafting. I did that for about 20 levels. Didn't find a good place to do it for the later tiers though, but for Slate try Slate Crest.
    Good point, thanks!

I've noticed the 'harvest resources' dialog several times when looting, but never stopped to really ponder what it was for... I'll guess if I kill a slate golem, I can harvest slate fom it somehow. I'll give that a whirl this evening if I can find some slate golems.

Chaos is pretty much neutral. I haven't seen level bashing yet

I personally think people can ascend whenever they want, and shouldn't be pressured by other dragons.

Not ALL of RoP is about fighting. There are NPCs to find and talk to, and riddles to figure out, etc. When I did RoP at level 30, they just helped me with fighting and set me loose for the other parts, I would just call them to what I needed to kill and then they'd leave again until the next fighting part. I'd be honored to help a hatchling gain their 'wings' when I am an Ancient, I don't think dragons, atleast the horizons dragons, are solitary creatures. If the company (Whatever company added the quest) didn't want us to do RoP at level 30, or whatever, then why would they give us the option to? (/startcheesy) They obviously want us to seek others help, so we can grow as a community. (/endcheesy)

(I really don't see flying as a big deal, (OMG I'M FLYING!!! THE WIND IS AAWSUM!!) I see it as a way to save my weak dragon hiney from fights :P)
    Last edited by Lunarya; December 28th, 2007 at 07:00 PM.
    Looking for a "dentist" to fix Lunarya's blue teeth

Lunarya and Akenokoru on Chaos.
    Help make Evarus grow!

Another thing before I forget, again, is there's a hoard req for ascending. *ponders* its 250k...I think, anyone remember?

250,000k is correct for the RoP
    Cauri BloodBane - Order
    100 DADV / 100 D C R A

Hmm... 250,000 hoard. I obviously need to stop deconstructing these scales I'm making and start hoarding them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunarya View Post
    (I really don't see flying as a big deal, (OMG I'M FLYING!!! THE WIND IS AAWSUM!!) I see it as a way to save my weak dragon hiney from fights :P)
    My biggest goal with flight is to be able to fly directly to whatever machine I need for crafting rather than waddling at a slow crawl for a few miles around the mountain, deadly swamp, blighted area, etc... Of course, being able to get back to the resource area directly will be a real time saver too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeshlavik View Post
    My biggest goal with flight is to be able to fly directly to whatever machine I need for crafting rather than waddling at a slow crawl for a few miles around the mountain, deadly swamp, blighted area, etc... Of course, being able to get back to the resource area directly will be a real time saver too.
    's how I saw it.... *grins*

lol thats very true Raesh; its hard for me now as a new hatchling to level craft again waddling everywhere, when before I could just take off and fly to the machine much faster. But its not a huge deal. I do miss flying just for the hell of flying; I loved it.

Anyhoo yes, good point raised about the riddles and running around. I'd say if you can get the hoard (250,000 is something like the 'cap' for a lvl 62 dragon though; I find that odd when the other reqs are 30/20... lol) then certainly feel free to start it when you like; I started mine at 45 but only did the first few bits of running round, then levelled to 50 before doing any of the crafting/fighting stuff.

I also agree with Lunarya; as I said before if you're an adult at 30 then ok, there may be a couple who at first will think "pah, 30 adult", but they're not gonna remember forever that you did it then. And I don't think anyone (or very few) would make it known they disapprove anyway. As I say, I would probably think "hmm couldn't wait then" but wouldn't say anything. Plus that adult could just be someones alt who wants to rush through it again; its the first time thats most special. It's a personal thing, not a community thing. I *personally* would feel disappointed in myself doing it at 30, because I'd have to have a lot of help. At 50 I still need help for the big fights, which still has the whole community spirit thing going on, but at least at 50 I have an active part in all of it. If someone is happy to just do it asap then feel free! It's your dragon, play as you like

I think the "wait till 50" is mostly for the "Simulated" scales, the last in the line of hatchling-only chest scales (adults and ancients can wear them, only hatchlings can get the quests to obtain them).

A better question is, "What do you want?". Some people play for the sole reason of being able to fly. Others play for a challenge and reward. Then there are some who don't really care about any of those and just want to make the level grind go faster. I probably missed a few categories, but hopefully you get the idea -- what is your motivation for ascending?

Obviously, if you just want to fly, start as soon as possible. At least in my experience, there is no shame in doing this on Chaos. Yeah, the older dragons will groan and mumble. As long as you make an effort to try things solo first and don't require constant attention, you'll get the help you need when you need it.

As for craft (DCRA) grind, I don't think flying helps much. If this is your reason for ascending and it trumps the challenge/reward, I strongly urge you to reconsider that. Flying will only help with travel from the machines, and to the machines, if you're using a flying disk -- and only under certain circumstances. (when there is no faster ground route with a road bonus and using a single-stack disk makes sense) If it takes you an hour to get 1/4 bar of experience without flight, expect flight to make it only slightly shorter, say around 45-50 minutes.

Craft grind can be made faster by minimizing your travel time by using dense fields with nearby machines, rich nodes, motherlodes, and big disks. Having teched scales to aid in processing and especially finishing helps a lot too, as does making products that give good xp/time.

For dragons, the sweet spot is somewhere around stone or single-ore metal scales, ones you're close to optimal on, say, 14:1. Once you hit optimal on one scale, you can stick with it till the next one comes into that range.

Gems are another alternative. You can't decon them, but you can fit more of them in a disk, and it's easier to be optimal on gems.

Don't waste your time on spells unless someone else is providing orbs or bricks/spell shards.

Oh! Uh... ROP, yes, this isn't about craft. Sorry!

So, that leaves the challenge/reward aspect. Well... how much of a challenge do you want? You can do most of your ROP solo at level 50. At level 70-75, you can easily do the whole thing solo -- if you are following the path of the Lunus. Once upon a time, you could also do the path of the Helian solo, however, that was a bit more difficult. I couldn't do it till I was over 90. Now, I think it's impossible with the aggro changes.

The difference between the two is a single mob: Kaa. If you're doing the Helian ROP and don't mind getting help with Kaa, then you can handle the rest of the mobs solo at 70-75 as well.

I can't speak for you or others, though I feel that my experience with ROP was very rewarding -- both finally getting to fly, as well as the attention a high-level hatchling draws. Be warned, though. Staying a hatchling /that long/ can lead to a bit of short-term depression once you finally ascend, especially if it's your first character.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Be warned, though. Staying a hatchling /that long/ can lead to a bit of short-term depression once you finally ascend, especially if it's your first character.
    a short-term depression? Why?
    Looking for a "dentist" to fix Lunarya's blue teeth

Lunarya and Akenokoru on Chaos.
    Help make Evarus grow!

Thread Information