Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lore: Istarian phrases for roleplay and reference

Default Re: Lore: Istarian phrases for roleplay and reference

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Adding "acts like a Lunus" would be great, as well. They're all hot-heads anyway.
    The one I thought of this morning was "think with your teeth".

"Typical Lunus, thinking with his teeth again..."
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    I've seen "Wind to thy wings" used a lot, but I was wondering if "thy" was really better than "your". There hasn't been anything I've seen so far that indicates dragons ever used thy/thee/thou in the past. Does it sound natural and draconic or does it sound like RennFaire-speak?
    Honestly, it sounds very much like RenFaire speak to me. "Your" works fine for me, but since I rarely use the phrase, someone else may want to chime in.

I'm not familiar with the books you're referring to, but as long as that specific phrase isn't trademarked, using it is not a problem.
    It, or a variant, is used widely in several of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books, iirc. As far as I'm aware, it is not trademarked.

Is there a formal response? "Wind to thy wings/Heat to thy flame", or something like that?
    None I'm aware of.

The one I thought of this morning was "think with your teeth".

"Typical Lunus, thinking with his teeth again..."
    Lunus think at all?
    Last edited by Kala; February 19th, 2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: minor clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Lunus think at all?
    Far clearer than any cloud-headed Helian!

All wishy-washy with those crazy thoughts that naka are something worth teaching. Most of the time, by the time they learn something worthwhile, they're already half dead!

(Darrnit, I can't come up with any witty responses today! 'Thinking with one's teeth' is certainly a good one though.)

I usually use the term 'Spitfire' for hatchlings that are stubborn or ill tempered and vocal about it, though I have been known to generalize the term to anyone with a fiery temper.

EX: "I'm stronger than all other dragons!" "Oh ho, what a little spitfire you are."
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kaerisk View Post
    I usually use the term 'Spitfire' for hatchlings that are stubborn or ill tempered and vocal about it, though I have been known to generalize the term to anyone with a fiery temper.

EX: "I'm stronger than all other dragons!" "Oh ho, what a little spitfire you are."
    *snicker*
    Man would that piss Hrough off when he's in one of his moods and being vocal about his grouchyness.

Very nice work!

Maybe "Wizzard" may be an addition.

It describes Dragons that do not behave like Dragons, but like a shapeshifted Wizzard. For example by flying along roads or using bridges instead of setting a course and fly a straight line high above hills and rivers. (By the way... there should be more rivers on istaria). Somewhat "shallowbrained" too.

EX: "Don't follow the wizzard, wing! His mind is still on the surface!"
    Unitys Eisdrache Nemesis of Helian
    Orders Finiaroth Helian

I've thought up some.

"Ancient story/stories", a term used (possibly only by dragons?) to describe a very long-winded and probably boring story, since many hatchies think ancients love to ramble on (e.g. "Don't ask him about the time he went to the Eastern Deadlands -- it's an ancient-story!" or "She tells stories like an ancient".)

"Fire turned to ash/smoke?" A taunt used by hatchlings when they think another is behaving cowardly, like a human would say "Whassamatter? Are you chicken?"
    For example. "I thought you wanted to go fight the garnet golem! Fire turned to smoke?"

"Stuff it in the/your silo", a term Malaquion thought up after repeatedly stuffing EirLert in her silo to hide him from an angry Saphire. It can mean something like "Hide it!" or "Forget about it for now, deal with it later."
    (Example. "Gah! There are so many spiders I need to kill!"
    "Eh, stuff it in your silo."

or

"Oh no! What'll Mala do if she catches me with her detonite?!"
    "Quick, stuff it in the silo!")

(Just for the record, Detonite is a completely fictional/roleplay-existing thing, from a plot that C`gan and Icabald (if I remember correctly) were doing. Detonite is a stone that glows blue and explodes when brought near a leyline. I had the honor of naming it )
    Last edited by Malaquion; February 28th, 2008 at 10:40 PM.

Well. . . um, my Fiendish alter ego, Shunasazzi, likes to call me a puff with wings when I complain too much about having to ferry over her resorces from an open silo back to Izzon. Puff, meaning being too lazy or too much of a weakling (from being overworked, I assure you).

Shunasazzi: Ok Trieah, come fetch this load of slate brick I just made so I can go to sleep out here in the field.

Trieah: But Shun, I donwanna. My eyes hurt from crafting 8 hours straight.

Shunasazzi: Why you lazy little puff. You know we can't leave this stuff in here overnight. Now hit the sky!

Shunasazzi is quite the slave driver. And yes, I really do talk to myself when I'm bord enough.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

((Don't attribute the detonite RP to me. I just got caught up in it when talking about geology of the region and ended up finding that faultline that runs north of Heather and through Duskhold.))
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by Malaquion View Post
    (Just for the record, Detonite is a completely fictional/roleplay-existing thing, from a plot that C`gan and Icabald (if I remember correctly) were doing. Detonite is a stone that glows blue and explodes when brought near a leyline. I had the honor of naming it )
    It was from a role play conducted by my mate, Ardorr Regnum.

in this place with tree's and angry squirrels

Quote Originally Posted by aine View Post
    It was from a role play conducted by my mate, Ardorr Regnum.
    Aye a lot of people were a part of it, and I am happy I got so many people to join in and enjoy it ^.-.^ Malaquion named it but I fell in the pile of it lucky me right >.-.> Aine, Saphire, C`gan, Malaquion and quite a few others from what I remember were a part of it. Back to the topic though can't say its really a phrase but I told kharn in kion that he was uglier then a gruok sow after a tail whip to the face >.-.>

Soft scale: a reference to being weak or scared.
    Ex: Dont be such a soft scale! Its only one wolf

Drulkar's Scales or Drulkar's Tail Scales: An expletive, generaly not something you should be shouting.
    Ex. Drulkar's Scales! That hurt!!!! or You forgot the bronze again!!! DRULKAR TAIL SCALES YOU"RE AN IDIOT!!!

laugh till your scales fall off: has the same meaning like "laughing to dead".

Ex: I laughed so hard till my scales fell off!

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

Possible Elven:

"By the Clenched Fist" - An exclamation of surprise. In reference to the symbol of the Elven deity of Galderos' who is always depicted with a clenched fist holding a spear.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Dwarves:

"In the Eyes of the Tribunal" - An expression used when giving a sacred promise or vow. To make this "in the eyes of the Tribunal" means it cannot be broken and must be fulfilled. The Tribunal is the panel of Kings that Dwarves must sit before when they die and be judged worth of entering the afterlife.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Talking Re: Lore: Istarian phrases for roleplay and reference

I love these! Let me add a few more Draconic phrases that I use frequently if I may...

Lure of Flame - Usually a positive exclamation, expressing surprise. "Lure of Flame! I've never seen such a huge gem..."

Shook [your/his/her] Egg - Insult directed toward or describing a dragon who acts idiotic or crazy. "A hatchling mouthing off to Lunus elders? Someone must have shook his egg...."

Fair Winds - A shortening of "Fair winds carry you home", a farewell with hope of a safe journey.

A few that i have used

sharp (as a) tooth- quick witted, intelligent, sly

dullscale: another term for withered scale, referring to the dull, lacklustre hue of th corpse dragons

garden gnome: derogetory term for dwarves (being confused with gnomes angers them- a deliberate, calculated ignorance)

sword: warrior- as in 'there goes a sword' interchangable with-

claw: dragon warrior (lunus) i.e Claw of Lunus

primate/simian: derogetory term for a human especially, also-

gritsucker: derogetory term for a dwarf (borrowed from terry pratchetts diskworld books)

shallow scale: indicating inexpeience, youth or foolish behaviour, based on the idea that a dragon's scales get thicker as they get older.

ruin/ ruinous powers: blight

stoneskull: ignorant, stiff necked, irascable, unbending

creep: anyone who kill steals, refering to their habit to creep around until the creature is low on health before pulling or killing. play on words with the well known insult

WIMP: Whinging Incompetant Maligning Person

fireblood: rash, courageous, hot blooded. prone to bouts of anger or battlerage

waterblood: derogetory term for a helian/ biped sympathetic dragon. Conversely, also coolheaded, calm, calculating, a dragon/person able to meld and adapt to new situations in the same way that water takes the shape of its container

twine tails/necks: description of physical intimacy and/or mateship i.e 'theyre twining tails, give them some privacy'

kazul: draconic exclamation of disgust similar to a human 'ewww'. can also be considered to be a profanity referring to dung i.e 'kazul! the blight creeps!'

Reklar: traitorous person/person who looks after their own interests. derived from the well known general's name.

Osedax: (pronounces Ose-EE-dax) term of respect for one who fights the Aegis or a fearsom warrior. may also be used as a term of endearment for a favoured superiour officer. Osedax is latin for Bone-eater.

slap-tail: dragon in the habit of complaining. also whinging or truculent person.

wet-wing: hatchling or newly hatched dragon. similar to 'wet behind the ears'

taste: scent

spoor: trail, especially when tracking a target

Deathless: Gifted person

bite: wound, i.e 'i am bitten!' = 'i am wounded!'

shards/shells!: exclamation and profanity

Egg: an item of high sentimental value- a keepsake

Egut ra Eilerten!: Lunus warcry literally meaning 'blood of dragons', an invocation to the spirits of fallen dragons to watch over their living brothers and guide their claws and blades

Damped fires: euphamism for death

coldblooded: a taunt mainly used by Lunus, refering both back to waterblood insult and a percieved lack of passion or will to fight. e.i cowardly

beam/bolt/bomb!: an alert that you have been targeted by a spell, very similar to 'incoming!'

hopalong: an affectionate term used to describe a hatchling

burnt: getting carried away in a fight/underestimating a mob/overly zealous to the detriment of ones self 'i tried to solo twenty giant ice beetles and got burnt'

death before dishonour!: a rallying cry, a call to fight to the death. infrequently also a call to charge into an enemy formation

support!: a call for buffs, exclusively if your buffs wear off in the middle of a fight

fire support!: a call for reinforcements

crack'd skull: an ancient who spends a lot of time around bipeds, derived from a dragon's problems with low cielings in biped structures

egg splitter: impertuous hatchling, one who overestimates themselves and thinks they are better than they are/above their station
    Last edited by Melanth; May 26th, 2008 at 02:07 PM.
    Melanath- level 100 ADV/ 60 DCRA -
    Shas Mackard- Saris Berserker/Outfitter et al

For Lunus, for Dralk! Death before Dishonour!

Half-Giant:
    Gnomish Wedding – Conspiracy. Ex: (to children) “Hey, what are you doing here? Planning Gnomish Wedding?�

I think everybody knows the origin of the phrase. So I won't explain it.

Dragon- Amlar: a bauble or trinket used as a toy by hatchlings, generally something vaguely spherical that can be rolled and then chased or pounced upon. Almost anything can be an amlar, from a discarded essence orb or unlucky wisp to someones severed head. When the game is over the hatchling may, or may not proceed to eat the amlar.
    Melanath- level 100 ADV/ 60 DCRA -
    Shas Mackard- Saris Berserker/Outfitter et al

For Lunus, for Dralk! Death before Dishonour!

Thread Information