Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Resource nodes floating names

Default Re: Resource nodes floating names

This is a pretty neat mod. Haven't seen any activity in this thread for a while, thought I'd add a new twist to it. The original mod didn't add floating names to plants or mushrooms. Probably for good reason. Not really a point to add floating names to flax and mushrooms as different varieties are generally not mixed up together. But since this mod came out, there is now Bountiful and Rich plants that might make it worth it now. It might help you spot Abundant (Rich) and Bountiful (Motherlode) varieties of resource nodes of Flax, Kenaf, Cotton, Ironsilk and Steelsilk that are near you.

Whats really neat about the mod is you can find a particular gem, when multiple kinds are mixed up. Additionally, you can spot the Rich and Motherlodes nearby. It also puts floating names above the wisp residue (screenshot of the residue is in the first post of this thread, OP).

If you don't like the names above the plants (flax and mushrooms), then just delete the two files that begin "plant_" in the filename.

Just unzip to your main game folder (Likely C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria )

Can grab the updated mod here: Download here

Full credits for the original mod: Tramsan

Screenshot:
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Thought I'd add an extra note, to my previous post, just in case you quickly scanned this thread and overlooked this fact in one of the posts:

You can enable/disable 'floating text' above objects, but be aware this will disable the floating names above all objects, not just the resource floating names of this mod. ie monsters, resources, your own floating name, other players' floating name, etc, etc.

It is not possible to disable/enable the floating text above only the resources (enabled with this mod).

You can disable all floating names by typing " /setpref displayFloatingNames false" (without the " quotes) in the chat bar.
    You can enable all floating names by typing " /setpref displayFloatingNames true" (without the " quotes) in the chat bar.
    Restarting the game is not necessary when using these commands. However, you do need to restart the game the first time you add this mod while online (if you install while playing game that is).

Likewise, you can create a hotkey. Add 'Text Command' under 'Action Type'. Then type the above " /slash statements" in the 'Action Details' text box.

To Uninstall the mod, delete below files from /resources_override/resources/entities folder (if you have no other files in the 'entities' folder, then you can just delete the entire 'entities' folder).

• object_resource_collide.ent
    • object_resource_nocollide.ent
    • plant_resource_collide.ent
    • plant_resource_nocollide.ent

This original mod and the one I reposted a few days ago, has missing entries from the current games' resources folder. I originally used the original mod files (for template) from (namedPoop.rar - is the filename floating around the internet for the original mod). Some lines are missing and some differ with integers. To ensure compatibility, I've redone the entire mod using the current games' .ent files as a base template. Then simply added a couple of new lines to cause the floating text to appear. Thus these files now match the current games file, but just 2 extra lines for floating text (max compatibility). Whether you recently started using this mod or have had it installed forever, I recommend you replace it with this one.

Same rules apply to my previous post. This mod also includes plant/mushrooms floating text; If you don't want to see those floating texts, then delete the files that have the word "plant" in it.

Additionally, I've modified some integers for text offset, which looks more natural and most compatible (see below screenshot, Before and After): I adjusted 'float floatingNameOffset' 0.6 to 3.0 .

Use same link as previous post to grab this updated version: MOD_Floating_Resource_Names.zip

Compare difference of before and after (this screenshot doesn't show blob shadow (which I have disabled):

Ok, I admit changing float text size to 3.0 was a bad idea. I was playing an ancient at the time. Looked fine from ancient dragon perspective, but from a biped perspective, this is just horrible (floating name same height as your own name, bad). I propose a compromise of 1.0 for the floatingNameOffset value. Original was 0.6. I also added 'MOD_Floating_Resource_Names_Disable.bat' and 'MOD_Floating_Resource_Names_Enable.bat' files to the .zip file. This will let you easily enable or disable the mod at anytime, without having to actually uninstall/install the mod (unzipping/deleting folder) every time.

Remember, you can adjust the height of text to your liking. Just edit (with Notepad) the lines with 'floatingNameOffset' in it. Change the integer to what ever value you like (the smaller the number, the closer to the ground it is, higher is well... Higher in height). 0.6 to 3.0 would be an idea range.

New in the MOD_Floating_Resource_Names.zip file:
    Double click the 'MOD_Floating_Resource_Names_Disable.bat' file to rename all the files, in the mod, from .ent to .bak (thus disabling the mod)
    Double click the 'MOD_Floating_Resource_Names_Enable.bat' file to rename all the files, in the mod, from .bak to .ent (thus enabling the mod)
    Restart game anytime you execute these files (if playing atm) for changes to work.
    These files are located in the /resources_override/resources/entities folder.

If any permission issues/errors (on Win7/Vista), try to right click the .bat file and choose "Run as administrator" option.

Sorry to spam this thread so many times. Hopefully this is best compromise (text will be buried in the sand pile and water wells, but at least they will look ok on common things (Metal, Stone, Gems, etc -- resources).

So if interested, please re-download and install MOD_Floating_Resource_Names.zip

I've forwarded this to the devs for consideration in the next client update.

This customization won't be included in the next client update because the text appears in the middle of some resource trees, etc. The developers are working on a change that will allow floating names for resources to be turned on / off, as well as proper placement of the text.

Note, I've deleted my version of this mod (.zip file) from the server, since the game is now showing floating resources. So expect a 404 error on any of the links to the mod. I also recommend you check if you have this mod installed and remove it, as it actually might prevent some names from displaying correctly.
    Last edited by Cegaiel; May 16th, 2015 at 12:25 AM.

Thread Information