Thread: Private chat channels

Default Private chat channels

Maybe I missed this so I'm asking here...
    Is there any way to create a pivate chat, much like the public ones but invisible to all, and where people can join only being invited ?
    I know I can invite people in a chat, but it doesn't stay once I log out. anyone knows ?

Default Re: Private chat channels

Hrmmmm, you could always create a chat and never log off....... You said you needed an idea..... never a "GOOD" idea. *grins* And besides why make it invisible when the ban button is just so convenient.

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

Yep, I know there is a way to do it. But I'm not sure how. I'll mess around with it tonight and see what I come up with.

At least I thought there was. Looking at it know, I'm not seeing any solution... :B

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthia View Post
    Hrmmmm, you could always create a chat and never log off....... You said you needed an idea..... never a "GOOD" idea. *grins* And besides why make it invisible when the ban button is just so convenient.
    Not sure my computer would be ok for that XD thanks anyway :B

hmmm... the /chatjoin command seems to have two parameters. The help look like this : /chatjoin <chatname> [password]. I wasn't able to add a password tho ; anyone knows how to configure it ?

I believe there was, but has been removed long, long ago, for some sort of reason.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

ah :/ thank you Tramsan

after further testing we found how to protect a channel. Problem is : when someone tried to join, it asks to enter a password, as you can see on the pic. But where do I enter it ? XD
    Attached Images Attached Images

//chatjoin
    {
    string name = "chatjoin"
    string usage = "<chatgroup> [password]"
    string description = "Joins or creates a chat channel. A password may be required."
    int numParams = 2
    int minParams = 1
    }

Try that.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

it's already in my command_player.def file :/ I created the protected channel using that command, tho I can't have any other character to join it, except when sending invites. Problem is, once the invited person logs back, he's asked to give the password again.

Best I could find is that if someone uses the /chatjoin test password when no one else is in the channel it creates the channel with the password and saves that information in your prefs. The next time you try to join that channel the saved password is automatically used.

The password parameter doesn't seem to work if someone is already in the channel but in the case of saved password you can join a password protected channel so long as your saved password matches the actual password. In summary with a little bit of work a channel can be made secure and not have any difficulties for channel regulars to to access it but the initial setup is a bit of a pain.

On a side note. Channels that are password protected are not visible from the channel list except when they are first created meaning both the channel name and the password must be known. This can blessing to some and a burden to others. Personally I find it to be a blessing.

Take care,
    Tsargoth

Alright after lots and lots of messing around, I have created an easy way for people to create a "private" chat channel. So for those of you who are tired of strangers popping in unwanted, here is how you can put a stop to it once and for all.

Step 1
    We are going to have to do some coding so I shall explain what to do. First, find the "prefs" folder for your character.
    Assuming you have installed the game in the Cdrive, the file path should look something like C:/program files/Virtrium/Horizons/prefs
    Now locate your character's specific prefs folder (shard_character's name). Open it and you should see a file called "UICommunicationPrefs".

You should make a copy of this file and save it somewhere else. This way should something go wrong, you will still have the original.

Step 2
    Open the "UICommunicationPrefs" and scroll all the way to the bottom.
    Then add the following line:

Code:
    CHANNEL_PREF
    {
    	string	Name = "Name"
    	string	Password = "password"
    }
    Where is says "Name" you will write down the name you chose for your chat channel, and where it says "password" you will write down the password for that specific chat channel (keeping the quotation marks around the name and password!).

I cannot stress enough, make absolutely sure you write the code above CORRECTLY. Assume the name and password is caps sensitive. I am not sure it is, but to be on the safe side, assume that it is. Don't make silly mistakes like missing a { , mispelling something, forgetting to put spaces where spaces should be, etc.

Please keep in mind that you and the members must agree on the same name and password for that chat channel. Obviously if you have two different passwords, this isn't going to work. :P For now, we will pretend I am making a chat channel called Testing and the password is cookies. So it will look something like this:

Code:
    CHANNEL_PREF
    {
    	string	Name = "Testing"
    	string	Password = "cookies"
    }
    Step 3
    Save changes to your UICommunicationPrefs file and log on that character you made the changes to. Needless to say if you have more than one character, you will have to modify all their indiviual UICommunicationPrefs files as well if you want them to be able to join your private chat.

Step 4
    Now for some fun! Now as you may have heard, two of the perks that come with making a private channel is: 1) those without the password can't join 2) private chat channels are invisible and cannot be seen in the player chat channels list.

But you are asking, " But Xan! If I cannot see the private chat channel in the chat channels list, HOW CAN I JOIN IT!!!"

Calm down, I'll explain it all, and even show some pictures!

First, look at the bottom of one of your chat tabs. You should see a + sign that when press, will create a new chat tab.

Go ahead and press it. A new window should pop up called "chat settings". Under the "System Channels" tab, clear all the chat channels by unchecking every box.

Okay! Almost done. Now click on the "players channels" tab. There you should automatically see the name of your own private chat channel listed. Check mark it and press "OK".

(Remember I said I would call my private chat "Testing" to use as an example only. Needless to say, you will see a different name depending on what you call it.)

And there you go! Your very own private chat channel. And as you will see, it will not be listed in the player chat channels list. So only you and those you tell will ever know of its existance.

Now, I have tested this extensively with several of my characters ensuring that those who did not have the code could not get in, and that those who did have it had not trouble access the private channel. That said, I am not 100% sure this will work for everyone. If you run into a problem feel free to post it here and I'll try my best to help.

Enjoy!

Nice job on the directions, Xan. I was able to successfully follow them and establish a private chat with password. Only difference I found was that using Vista my file was located in C:\\Program files\Istaria\Prefs. Thanks for all the work you put in on this.

Lili
    Lilieth

Very good researched post Xanthia.

I personally think this post would deserve a sticky to keep it on top.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Important things to know:

I would suggests that when editing your UICommunicationPrefs file, that you log off game first, because changes to the file may not be saved properly once you relog.

Also, when naming your new Private Chat Channel, make sure to choose a name that isn't already being used. (That should go without saying as to why.) So if you already have a chat tab with the same name, please change the name first before making your "private chat channel".

And as always, if you are unsure about modifying a file, always make a copy of the original first for safekeeping.
    Last edited by Xanthia; February 3rd, 2010 at 05:58 AM.

Thread Information