Thread: Drag to delete

Default Drag to delete

When trying to get rid of all the junk that pops up after a normal day of hunting, would make the process go a lot faster if I could drag the item to the outside of the inventory window and get a delete item warning message.

Might be too difficult to code as the inventory window can be any size.

Default Re: Drag to delete

I would like that, though then wouldn't the game freak if you tried to drag an item outside of the inventory window and into, say, a silo window? Otherwise, I think it's a great idea.

Maybe just a 'Delete' window, where everything you drag into it automatically gets trashed? Perhaps not instantly, but it's inaccessible to you except to drop things into, and it empties every x minutes or something.
    <----clicky!

*cough* WoW *cough*

I presently like the system now.... keeps people from accidentally closing a trade window and you end up getting the "delete" request window instead.

also don't think the game engine allows "any" dropping of items except from "requester box" to "requester box"

You can't "drop" things in the game, or "give" things to other players or NPCs.

They "could" put a trashcan on the interface of choice so you can drag them to the trash can

Edit again: I do believe there IS a trashcan button on the interface, but I forget
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Dragging to an interface simmilar to the hoard location would be nice.

I also don't get the "wow" thing. I don't play wow, nor is wow the standard for which all games are played. (apparantly I'm wrong though ) There's been several games long before wow that used this type of interface. It was just a feature I appreciated.

Justa, the trash can is the exact same thing as right-clicking and deleting, or clicking the 'delete' button. It's just a shortcut directly provided by the game.
    <----clicky!

I have played several MMORPGs in the past

Asheron's Call: drag to the screen, it drops the item ON THE GROUND for other people to pick up... or view (in the case of pack pets)

UO (unless they changed things from 10 years ago) didn't have that option, neither did EQ or DAoC if I am right...

Only after WoW, did games incorporate drag to delete (LoTRO / AoC / CoH / ETC)

Horizons is the ONLY game where you cannot "drag to" a screen object and interact with it (like giving people potions, items, etc) like all other games I have played would let you do.

I would really love the ability to drag things right to the player and have it open a trade window with that person.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34

pssst: you can drop stuff on the hoard window and if it aint hoardable it'll just vanish

Psssst, that's because it is considered a 0 value hoard and just disappear.

and... pssst... it's going from window interface to window interface and not to the main screen with no windows

Psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssst

Quote Originally Posted by Shur View Post
    pssst: you can drop stuff on the hoard window and if it aint hoardable it'll just vanish

No it does not. I just get the message "item is not worthy enough to be in hoard and it stays put.

Yaknow what would REALLY be nice?

Being able to select multiple items at once, a'la Windows Explorer. Hold down the shift or ctrl keys and select several items at once, and then click the trash can, you get a window that pops up, listing everything you had selected. You could click one of those items to remove it from the list, and then click the delete and BAM, everything's gone.

I would imagine this would also be nice for Consigner/Trade/Pawnbroker too, but this might already work, I never thought to try it....

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post

Being able to select multiple items at once, a'la Windows Explorer. Hold down the shift or ctrl keys and select several items at once, and then click the trash can, you get a window that pops up, listing everything you had selected. You could click one of those items to remove it from the list, and then click the delete and BAM, everything's gone.

Erm, actually, you can do that

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post

I would imagine this would also be nice for Consigner/Trade/Pawnbroker too, but this might already work, I never thought to try it....

you can do this, dha....and thanx illy too, as if you forget to check the 'auto decon' box when leveling blacksmith by making tools - you are overburdened! hold down the shift button and clicking the items will hold them in a group for moving/mass operation.......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

That is one of the beautiful things about the interface. While it is not a direct derivative of the Windows UI, it follows the standard convventions almost to a tee.

cntl-click works well in icon view, click-hold shift-click only works in list view.

Drev

You learn something everyday... *makes a note of the mass delete function* hehe. I would love the drag and drop to delete thing; I 'grew up' on UO as far as MMOs go and hate not being able to drop things on the floor in most 'new' MMOs, but if we cannot drop items then at the very least dragging to delete is very useful! I can't think of anything off the top of my head but I'm sure a few SP games use this feature.
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

Dropping items on the ground is not likely to be in many newer games. You see how badly unpolished these new MMOs are released. Imagine how far behind they would be if the art teams had to create an "on the ground" model for every droppable item in the game.

There are also griefing issues. Having played UO I am sure you recall the lag caused by dropping multiple (100s) of torches or other light sources in the same area. Imagine if someone decided to drop 5000 individual stacks of iron ore in Bristugo.

Drev

ah of course i understanda ll that but hey, it feels more real to be in a world like that! I can live without it though
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

Thread Information