Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a Dung Pile?

Default Re: What is a Dung Pile?

im going to be sick...
    100/96/21 32.2 mill hoard Killer 87% socializer 47% explorer 40% achiever 40%

I think it would be more disturbing and "eww kill it kill it" if its idle animation was less of a calm breathing motion and more of a jerking, creepy-crawly OHMYGODIT'SPOSSESSED sort of thing.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

It isn't a creepy-crawly though. Its a mob generator. You can expect lots of maggots and necroflies to be around it.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    I think it would be more disturbing and "eww kill it kill it" if its idle animation was less of a calm breathing motion and more of a jerking, creepy-crawly OHMYGODIT'SPOSSESSED sort of thing.
    It is not possessed, though. The motions of the idle animation were meant to look like there are "things" moving around inside of it multiplying and growing and making more nasty things until some brave soul decides to get close enough to clean it up.

And really... If you see a big pile of poo moving about apparently of it's own accord, don't you think that it will be creepy enough to make you really wonder...? I know I sure would be heading the opposite direction!

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    It is not possessed, though. The motions of the idle animation were meant to look like there are "things" moving around inside of it multiplying and growing and making more nasty things until some brave soul decides to get close enough to clean it up.
    Exactly. As it is it's just breathing, innocent and calm, as a single solid entity. I was watching a mouse burrowing under recycled paper bedding in a pet shop earlier, making a nest for itself. The mouse was small and the layer of bedding was fairly deep, so all one could see were the effects of the mouse's movement. The bedding over it jerked, shivered, and heaved unevenly. Granted, paper bedding is not very similar to a heap of dung in weight or density, and maggots'n'things are not very similar to mice in behaviour or anatomy. But still, I just don't expect the motion of a dung pile full of living things to be so...coherent. If someone has seen a dung pile full of living things and such does move that way in effect, please enlighten me.

On second viewing of the idle video, I see that there is some of the unevenness I'm describing. But it's quite subtle.

And if you like it the way it is, well, that's fine. I seem to be the only one who has any quibble with it anyway.
    Last edited by Vaz; January 15th, 2009 at 06:16 AM.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    ... If someone has seen a dung pile full of living things and such does move that way in effect, please enlighten me.
    I pity the one who has seen such a thing... xD

Quote Originally Posted by Hraefn View Post
    I pity the one who has seen such a thing... xD
    >.>
    <.<
    -_-

It would have to be very, ah, fresh, to move smoothly. If it were dried, it wouldn't move unless something came out of it. If it were dried and crumbled/in lots of pieces, you may get something similar to the mouse-in-paper scenario... but then, there you're probably more likely to find ants (or even mice) than maggots. (I have watched an ant colony strip a dead bird clean. That thing will move a little, I kid you not, if there are enough ants on and in it. It's creepy and disgusting, and yet it's one of those things where you can't just look away. o.O)

This is what I get for growing up on a ranch. But I love one-upping some of these city people when they try to tell disgusting stories. >:-)

But hey, I like the videos. They actually made me feel a little ill, so grats on the good job! XD

Ah ha... x3

Ant colonies are fun to watch. I'd toss all sorts of things into them when I was a kid. But still, I've never seen a poop pile move like its breathing and would rather not. ;D ..I'd have to poke it with a stick or some such. Maybe toss a match at it.

Dung death effect makes me want to stay the heck away from 'em. For all the trouble that went into to kiling it, you are sprayed for your efforts. Hraefn's going to have to start carrying a bucket of soap and water on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Hraefn View Post
    Dung death effect makes me want to stay the heck away from 'em. For all the trouble that went into to kiling it, you are sprayed for your efforts. Hraefn's going to have to start carrying a bucket of soap and water on her.
    Yeah. That's the kind of thing you can't preen away.

*Kandrin gags and makes a retching noise*

Yes. Breathing poo-piles would unnerve me quite a bit.

Forget the match. That's a gallon of gasoline and a torch. (break clean + micro torch = homemade flamethrower).

I will refuse to go in melee fight with those things :P

Only primal attacks from this dragon you will get if you want to kill that dung pile, and that FAR AWAY from it >_>

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

So...

Prime Bolt with Primal Range augmentationn... Got it.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    it needs werewolf gaurds so they can masticate on excrement and emit sounds like a canine at istaria's natural satellite!!!

(queen's kiss to the first poster of a [clean] translation!! lolol )
    This is totally off topic but:

"it needs werewolf guards, so they can chew on dung, and howl at the moon"

Though I must wonder why

As for things to make it move that way... i know when i was a wee lad (2 or 3) I was submerged, I bet it looked something like that.

Mice and rats under dried dung can cause undulations though yeah it would have to be dry or they'd drown and not be able to chew through it.

At a water treatment plant frogs and various other animals, which did't look very healthy made a similar effect though at a water treatment plant, I doubt it as pure liquid excrement...more like...water colored dookie.

Amon? Does this mean we'll be seeing an excremental in the future? (ala Dogma [ by Kevin Smith])
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

This officially beats the 500+ year old pile of poo found in the eq universe...

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblaze View Post
    Amon? Does this mean we'll be seeing an excremental in the future? (ala Dogma [ by Kevin Smith])

ROFLMTO
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

*Is reminded of the dung monsters from Digimon*

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Quote Originally Posted by venom-dragon7799
    im going to be sick...
    So, now do you see a good reason to have your own rider, to help you get clean after one of those things blows up on you?
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    So, now do you see a good reason to have your own rider, to help you get clean after one of those things blows up on you?
    That's what lava pools are for.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

I like using a Saris myself. Tie them around a stick and they are great for scrubbing between your wings. /9-> I hope we get other mob generator.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    I like using a Saris myself. Tie them around a stick and they are great for scrubbing between your wings..
    Pah, talking about gross. Saris abusing behaviour, shame on you dragon!

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Thread Information