Thread: Problems playing game

Default Problems playing game

I been have problem with play Istaria for few days now I use to get a blue screen with nv4_dips on it not sure it that what it said ....

Now my game is freezing my compture after me reset it back ... I read somewhere it the graphic card is this the case ??? maybe drives need update I sort not sure hope you guys can suggest something to help me out

Sorry about my spelling
    Dragon lv 100, Craft 85, Lairship 30
    [/url][br]Feed Me![br]Feed Me!

Default Re: Problems playing game

When did this start? Had you made any changes to your system before the game began crashing? I'm not an expert with computer troubleshooting by any stretch of the imagination, but that's usually a good place to start.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Well I had to reset my compture back to the begin lose lot of my stuff and it seems that my game is now freezing

I'm no expert but you may want to make sure your directX and video drivers are up to date . Its a starting point if nothing else.

Muslyx

Quote Originally Posted by Anime View Post
    Well I had to reset my compture back to the begin lose lot of my stuff and it seems that my game is now freezing
    Oh, so you have reinstalled your operating system and have totally reset your PC then? Ooh. I agree; look for updates for your drivers and try again. Also, when does it freeze? In the launcher, while the game tries to load, while you're playing, or some other time?

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

I been have problem with play Istaria for few days now I use to get a blue screen with nv4_dips on it not sure it that what it said ....

Now my game is freezing my compture after me reset it back ... I read somewhere it the graphic card is this the case ??? maybe drives need update I sort not sure hope you guys can suggest something to help me out

Sorry about my spelling
    nv4_dips is an nvidia related driver file, so this problem is most likely linked to your graphics card drivers. You could try uninstalling them and reinstalling the latest driver release. If that had no effect, try reinstalling your motherboard chipset drivers since they're responsible for communication between your computer and it's graphics card through agp/pci-e etc...

Another less likely is that your pc is full of fluff and the graphics card is overheating, which can also cause crashes when the system is under load. You'd notice crashing in all games if this was the case.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Rakku

Ahhh ty I thought it was the graphic card i gave it a clean when i get back or buy new one for it thank you

Ahhh ty I thought it was the graphic card i gave it a clean when i get back or buy new one for it thank you
    No worries! Good luck and keep us posted.

Rakku

Sorry for being late here, but just a sidenote: In my own experience a very large percentage of problems does not originate in hardware failure. So buying new hardware (like graphics cards) is almost always unnecessary.
    While it can fix a problem (e.g. because you install new drivers for your new hardware), it is most often a waste of money. Unless you were planning to upgrade anyway

Heck, even when a piece of hardware is slightly broken in a way, you can often find a workaround to not affect you ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnozzorg View Post
    Sorry for being late here, but just a sidenote: In my own experience a very large percentage of problems does not originate in hardware failure. So buying new hardware (like graphics cards) is almost always unnecessary.
    While it can fix a problem (e.g. because you install new drivers for your new hardware), it is most often a waste of money. Unless you were planning to upgrade anyway

Heck, even when a piece of hardware is slightly broken in a way, you can often find a workaround to not affect you ever.
    Aye most true... a friend of mine who was having crashing problems with his laptop opened it up and cleaned, as he thought, everything out. No change. It was behaving like it was a heating issue, and eventually he found a Huge clod of fluff hidden away in part of a heatsink that was blocking most of the airflow and being very hard to see. Once the fluff was cleared completely the problem vanished.

When graphics cards do fail, for me it's *always* been the ram. First time it was a GF4 4400, then a 9700 mobility ... nice pretty stripes that preceed a big crash. I think now they pay more attention to cooling graphics card ram.

Rakku

Istaria uses less than 15% of GPU Ulitization (read via Everest/G15 plugin)... I doubt its possible for a GPU to overheat while playing Istaria. The only exception is if the graphics card is not maintained at all and its clogged with dust. Of course then it has as much chance of overheating in the Windows desktop as it does in Istaria.

Hatchling Dragon of Chaos, following the path of Lunus___ ___DRAG 38 / DCRA 55
    Ofnir, Sslik of Chaos. WAR 14 CLRC 10 MAGE 10 SPRT 14 / OUT 10 ARM 10

Quote Originally Posted by Nidhoggr View Post
    Of course then it has as much chance of overheating in the Windows desktop as it does in Istaria.
    Remember these things can speed-step so it's very possible for a graphics card to behave like a perfect child until you run a game ... at which point it revolts, goes out gets drunk and steals 15 cars.

My antique 9800 Pro ran at about 50ºc idle on Windows, while even Istaria could make it top 85ºc ... and that was a new card! An Nvidia 7800GS in my dads flight-sim pc dumps its clock speed to a low level when it hits 116ºc. Judging by the heatsink on it, I utterly think it could reach it quickly if it was blocked.

I'd be much happier if all pc's and graphics cards were passively cooled (if just for noise). My dell xps 420 has one case fan at the front and a Huge passive cooling heatsink... so far it's stayed cool and quiet.

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    Remember these things can speed-step so it's very possible for a graphics card to behave like a perfect child until you run a game ... at which point it revolts, goes out gets drunk and steals 15 cars.

My antique 9800 Pro ran at about 50ºc idle on Windows, while even Istaria could make it top 85ºc ... and that was a new card! An Nvidia 7800GS in my dads flight-sim pc dumps its clock speed to a low level when it hits 116ºc. Judging by the heatsink on it, I utterly think it could reach it quickly if it was blocked.
    I know these problems... roughly every 6-8 months my gfx card (gf 6600 gt) has enough dust accumulated to overheat pretty badly (probably because my PC case is opened at all times). Worst temperature I've seen was 118°C. Taking it out and completely cleaning it lowers the temperature by at least 50°C. But as Nidhoggr suggested - the more a game utilizes the gfx card, the hotter the card gets. So even when the dust is clogging up the card's fan, I could still play games with low hardware requirements without getting graphics glitches due to overheating.

Getting intense overheating on new gfx cards is fortunately something I've never seen though.
    Last edited by Gnozzorg; February 3rd, 2009 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnozzorg View Post
    Getting intense overheating on new gfx cards is fortunately something I've never seen though.
    Yeah I think there's a lesson to be learn't there... the last time I bought a high-end kick-*** top-of-the-line graphics card it was a GF4 4400. The fastest Nvidia out at the time. It died after 18 months. I had an HP laptop with the fastest ATI mobility chipset out there... it died after 12 months.

My current pc has a 'normal' clock ati card inside and it runs pretty cool. Current laptop has a well featured but relatively slow and mid-range card and that's lasted 14 months (so far lol..).

I don't think I'll be forking out for top-end gear ever again... 80% of the speed and half the cost is the way to go.

Rakku

Dunno about you guys but i'm getting used to Istara crashing twice even three times a day. idon't know why this happens, it's never happened in any other game i've played. And this game is 7 years old so it should run better than the newer games right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman007 View Post
    Dunno about you guys but i'm getting used to Istara crashing twice even three times a day. idon't know why this happens, it's never happened in any other game i've played. And this game is 7 years old so it should run better than the newer games right?
    The only cashes I have are when Comcast takes a dive and I get the 'lost communications with the server' dialog.

As one would expect, this impacts any online game I play, so I can't blame Istaria for it.

Other than that, I do see a gradual decline in performance over time if I manage to stay in game for 4-5 hours (I'm fairly busy so my average play time is about 1-2 hours), so I tend to log out every couple hours, go take care of something that needs taking care of, then log back in.

On chaos we have a character that is logged in almost 24/7, who stands right near a portal in Bristugo... Not sure what he's doing, but the client seems to work just ducky for him too.

Game run slower after few hours could have several reasons. The most common i see is: because of the changing area, and the amount of plots. Gives older graphic cards with lower RAM memory on a hard time. But also CPUs only using 1-2 cores. But also if you dont have much system RAM Memory.

This game coding is fairly old-school wich takes it tolls on older and budget PC's.

Upgrade the rig, or try run on lower resolution and video settings.

// Bael

Thread Information