Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was was Zymosis?

Default Was was Zymosis?

I hope I spelled it right. D:

Just as the title asks. Was exactly was Zymosis?

I've got the 'cure zymosis' spell but I've never really heard the full story of what Zymosis was and what it did. I thought the thread should probably be here because it's an Istarian history sorta thing I think.

Edit: Fudge, title is Was was Zymosis. Well, in that case, I DON'T ask what the title asks, because I want to know WHAT it was, not... was it was... XD

~Galde

Default Re: Was was Zymosis?

Zymosis Morbidae was part of an event a long time ago, before merge. If I remember right, it was a disease (debuff) that spread only between bipeds, and only dragons could cure it.

I can't remember too much about it since I think that event happened shortly after I started playing, and I was still learning the game and didn't have a biped character at that point to catch it.

There is a thread here with some of the in-game conversations of the quest NPCs.

Edit: Actually, now that I actually -look- at that thread, that seems to be the quest bipeds could do to cure themselves by running all over the place. There was a dragon too who stood outside the Gold Rage/Gift trainers' cave. I think his name was Dragon Primalist, and he was a red T-rex-headed adult if I recall correctly. He offered dragons the ability to learn the Cure Zymosis spell, but I don't remember what all was involved.
    Last edited by Raptress; February 18th, 2009 at 01:15 PM.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

We had to go to some old destroyed houses south of Dalimond (a bit north of Heart I think, west side off the road) and kill some ghosts haunting the place for 3 pebbles of something....

Bipeds could do a quest to get a potion that gave them an ability called Immunity: Xymosis Morbidae

The Gifted freed Feladan from the grip of the Blight in 20 A.R. by destroying the Substantiators that surrounded the city, dealing the Withered Aegis a powerful defeat and pushing their armies back to Eastern Deadlands. To enact a measure of revenge for the loss of the city the Withered Aegis released Zymosis Morbidae on the population of Aradoth, a terrible plague that spread quite rapidly. But the Gifted and especially Dragons discovered a way to fight it and eventually combat it, giving themselves immunity.

Here's the original event description from internal docs:

Feladan has been freed, and the Elven people are relieved. Celebration is short-lived, however, as a crippling disease begins to spread from the once-blighted city, a last gift from those who controlled it. Sick elves hide in the corners of Feladan, dull-eyed and listless, unknowingly spreading their ailment to the hale and hearty folk who pass by.

Two factions have heard of the threatening epidemic and have stepped up to aid.

The Dragons, finding themselves immune to the disease, are using the knowledge at their disposal to cleanse the body of the plague with their primal magic. The Primalist urges his Draconic kin to slay the wraiths and ghosts, as it is suspected creatures similar to those which held Feladan may also hold the key to curing the disease. Once nine wraiths or ghosts have been slain and the items upon them retrieved, the Dragons can then return to the appropriate trainer, turn in these items, and receive a formula for the cure in exchange.

A scholar has also shown up, having studied the items that the creatures from the blight-siphoning machines shed upon death. He/she believes that, through a careful alchemical process, these items can bring immunity to the disease for those who are not gifted with Draconic constitutions. To that end, the scholar asks you to take the item to the Alchemist trainers throughout Istaria and seek their professional knowledge. Alchemists are an eccentric bunch, and no two will agree exactly what must be done with it. The process goes from one to the next, each distilling this and brewing that, “fetch me this item” and “this potion will not be complete without this,” so on down the line, until the last trainer declares it done. The lucky individual, upon drinking the potion, gains immunity to the disease in question.
    Last edited by AmonGwareth; February 18th, 2009 at 01:51 PM.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

In my opinion, it was one of the more complex, ingenious and insidious events I've seen in HZ. Very frusterating for bipeds though, and a lot of complaining went on, which is probably why we haven't ever seen anything of the like since. Callak just spent most of his time RPing and helping cure bipeds. It was really troubling for all races involved, but I'm glad I had a chance to experience it. It sertainly brought out the caretaker, profiteer, and dragonist personalities out of the dragon charactors, which made for some fun roleplays.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

Sounds like it was fun. That said, I have the sneaking suspicion that the devs are planning something of its equal to happen soon. It's just... in the air o_o

Maybe if there's a 2nd round, it can be the reverse and drastically impact dragon stats and let bipeds be immune.

Perhaps then there won't be quite as many dragons talking about how "fun" it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    Maybe if there's a 2nd round, it can be the reverse and drastically impact dragon stats and let bipeds be immune.

Perhaps then there won't be quite as many dragons talking about how "fun" it was.
    Pretty safe bet that we aren't. Three games to my knowledge have done a virus that spreads by being near other players. Horizons, World of Warcraft, and Everquest 2. The outcry in all three games was tremendous and it probably won't be done again in any of them.

It is a really neat gameplay mechanic and a great source of RP, but it is also very open to griefing and that has a major tendency to drive players away. Which is the last thing we want to do.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

You say that, remember, Callaks spent most of the day laying in one place in an "infermary" in Chichonis and Dolimond, or rushing off to quell the disease on NPCs in other breakout towns rather than crafting or fighting trying to help. It wasn't fun in the sense that he had much to do accept sit and one place and cure a line of waiting bipeds remember. But in the time spent waiting for cooldowns on the curative spell, I got to know many bipeds and dragons charactors a lot better, and even RP with many of them that I would have probably never met or it would have been in runby passing greeting with someone rushing to put sandstone on a wall somewhere. Yes, for these reasons I found it fun, but in a completely different way I think than what you mean.
    Last edited by CallakDW; February 18th, 2009 at 04:04 PM.

* snuffles curiously*

*rumbles in laughter* I remember it very well.

Back on Earth when the message spread of the plague, the brave dragons ventured out to aquire the cure spell. I was back then a hatchling but had always a big heart. So we formed many groups of dragon medics that where all shoving the infected bipeds in the "zoos" in the racial cities. Two and more where standing at the entrance of the zoo and when a dragon had their spell ready the biped was separated from the "Herd" and cured. Other dragons where dismissed to cure the bipeds of the cities since they also spread the virus. But well it was a figth against windmills because some careless players still stodd around the pad and cried "OMG I AIM INFECTED HEAL PLZ" Doh!

It was hilarous, dragons with their biped "herds". It really looked like that. And it was amusing that the mightiest bipeds crawled to the hatchies to get a cure, when before they teased them how weak they where back than.

I also don't forget one year after logged an old player in with an infected alt that didn't had a clue that this char still had the plague, and all started again, thankful most where immune but it was still hilarous. Then the devs coded in that the virus faded after a time you where offline.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    I also don't forget one year after logged an old player in with an infected alt that didn't had a clue that this char still had the plague, and all started again, thankful most where immune but it was still hilarous. Then the devs coded in that the virus faded after a time you where offline.
    This also happened on Expance where Callak was hatched.

* snuffles curiously*

It was the only thing in the game that bipeds have EVER required a dragon player.

Perhaps when dragons have something that bipeds ever need...

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua View Post
    Perhaps when dragons have something that bipeds ever need...
    This could be solved by giving dragons the ability to make weapon and armor crystals.... It seemed to me that this is somthing that was started, but never finished, and I'm not sure why. After all, dragons work with crystals all the time in lair shaping, and there seems to be a pointless independant crafter class for it.

* snuffles curiously*

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    Speaking of which, a year and a half after I quit Horizons, I still have my trick-or-treat quest active! It was pretty awesome, actually, I was getting annoyed at not being able to find Zebeginia when the elders started giving me candy! Candy solves everything, and so I forgave them for not telling me that she was floating in the rock directly above my head...

....I hope the devs don't steal my quest from me now that I've said that D:

Nah, if you have a quest in your book, you're free to keep it or try to complete it. My dragon has the Saris blade quest from Kendra, a Dennison Jadefellow soul frag quest, and the zymosis immunity quests in his quest book, none of which I ever plan on finishing (even if I were able to).
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

If I recall, they only give me candy once anyway, so I don't suppose it really matters. I know now when I had to quit though. it was on the last day of the fall festival a one and a half years ago!

One of the issues with the zymosis was that you could give it to NPCs. Another was that as you cured one biped another infected would come along and instantly reinfect everyone else standing around that had just been cured. After a while dragons just got tired of it and only a few bothered to stand around curing people.

WoW had the same type of event about a month after we did and it caused the same sort of stink. I don't recall the EQ2 one.

Drev

The biggest complaint I heard is people would go afk on a portal pad, catch the disease, and spread it to anyone else who came through that pad.

* snuffles curiously*

Haha, that must have sucked so much!

Also, the devs lied to me... my quest expired when I logged in! D:

Quote Originally Posted by SinOfSUns View Post
    Also, the devs lied to me... my quest expired when I logged in! D:
    It's an expiring quest. Happens.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Thread Information