Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Players

Default New Players

I want to see and know what they are doing for more players. I miss running around and seeing other toons. I really like this game, and I think they need to get the word out on this game. I played 1 other warhammer and it did not even compare to this game.
    100 lv Palidin/Spiritist/Druid/Healer/Mage/Wizard/Conjurer and 1 day Monk

Default Re: New Players

The problem facing new players at this time is Vista.... Horizons isn't really Vista compatable. Yes, there are work arounds but it seems they do not always work. One of my friends for example, tried for a week before finally giving up. A lot of older players will say "okay, this game is worth it" and try to get it working. Where as a lot of new players just looking to check it out will regard this as unnessisary hassle and move on to other games. It is unfortunate.

I do believe the devs are trying for a Vista fix, and to that end are making progress. Though I can not say for sure. Until then....actively trying to draw new players to a game that most of them would not be able to play would cause more harm then good I think. As much as I would love to see new people running around too....
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

Yes, if I remember correctly the devs have stated that they will work on drawing new players once the Vista fix is out, among other things (The new launcher comes to mind).
    As cool as it would be to see even more new players, they need to get these issues fixed before they can start a real campagin to get new people playing.

(Also, where did other PCs being called 'toons' come from? I've never heard it till I started playing Horizons/Vista)

i think it mainly came from WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Romirez View Post
    i think it mainly came from WoW.
    Its use in the Horizons community pre-dates the release of WoW by over a year. It is probably an Everquest thing.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

the stuff online you can find about "toon" as a reference about an online character is from Everquest from what i can tell, it had to do with the "cartoonish" way characters looked.
    "Knowing others is intelligence,knowing yourself is true wisdom.
    Mastering others is strength,Mastering yourself is true power"
    by Lao-Tzu

I can confirm that 'toon' dates back to at least Everquest, more than likely The Traveller is right about how it came to be. I never really thought to ask about how/why it came about, I always just assumed it was easier to say than pc or Player character, or less likely to get confused with npc at anyrate.

Prior to Everquest one of the first official MMOs "The Realm Online" had used the term "toons" to refer to their characters.

This is also the longest running MMO to-date (as far as I am aware anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Meridian 59 actually (by about 3 months) if you go by official commercial release dates.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

*wonders how out of date the graphics, etc. might be by now... then wonders how long "oldest" really means...*

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    *wonders how out of date the graphics, etc. might be by now... then wonders how long "oldest" really means...*
    Pretty dated. Though I think Meridian 59 had an upgrade at some point.

Both The Realm and Meridian 59 were released in fall of 1996.

The wiki article says that the public beta of The Realm was 5 months prior to the commercial release of Meridian 59 (I couldn't play that game, although I was on the beta team; the characters were just far far too ugly for me to be able to look at for any length of time). I don't know what the official release was of the Realm Online, but it's still an active game. I don't know if Meridian 59 is still alive in any incarnation. The Realm Online public beta was sometime in 1995, at least a couple of years after Sierra sold "The Sierra Network" to AT&T and later to AOL.

The Sierra Network was the most amazingly fun gaming environment possible, with different gaming areas for different tastes (dungeon, cards, board games, kid's games (golf, flight sim, etc.) and larryland for adult card games. It is quite possible that the term "toon" was used back then as you had very customizable avatars which had different characteristics depending on which land you were entering.
    Last edited by Creme; March 19th, 2009 at 12:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

I'm guessing the 1996 timeframe is right then, as I heard the term in UO (Sept 1997) but not in any previous MORPGs, i.e. Neverwinter Nights on AOL, Shadow of Yserbius/Fates of Twinion on the Imagination Network (Sierra Network), or Dark Sun Online (TEN).

Of course someone could have been using the term to describe a character in single player games long before that.

Drev

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    The wiki article says that the public beta of The Realm was 5 months prior to the commercial release of Meridian 59 (I couldn't play that game, although I was on the beta team; the characters were just far far too ugly for me to be able to look at for any length of time). I don't know what the official release was of the Realm Online, but it's still an active game. I don't know if Meridian 59 is still alive in any incarnation.
    Yea, commercial release of Meridian 59 was September 1996. The Realm was December 1996. Funny they bring up the beta and compare it to a commercial release.

Anyway, M59 is also still running and stable. Brian Green (one of the original devs) and a few others bought it in 2002 I think and have kept it alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Drevar View Post
    Of course someone could have been using the term to describe a character in single player games long before that.

Drev
    Grin! Close! The first major use of the word toon for a person's character is back in the heyday of tabletop rpgs. It came from a game called TOON, where your character, instead a D&D style character, was a cartoon character. (I couldn't find enough others to be silly with me to try the game. Hey, at least we did Paranoia!)

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_6560.html

http://www.sjgames.com/toon
    English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over & goes through their pockets for loose grammar. -=Paraphased from James Nicoll=- Unicorn's Lady's Dalliance

I once was curious enough to try out Disney's "online game", which officially called your characters as "toons" I've never used that name on any other game ever since, it just reminds me of that horrible experience I had with cartoony hippos and whatnot. XD

Edit: found it again with the help of Google. ToonTown.

Racia Trejan & Trica - Helians of Chaos
    Salama Lizran - Lunus of Unity --> Chaos (alive but retired)

Oh man, Paranoia! That takes me back. Used to love playing that game when I was young... really young... not saying how old young, cause, well, I'm paranoid.

Those were some fun times playing that game.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

EEEEEK! How derailed did this thread get?????

I agree with brodie. As things are happening in Istaria, we really should look at more advertising in the real life marketplaces to invite more people to join in on the fun.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    I agree with brodie. As things are happening in Istaria, we really should look at more advertising in the real life marketplaces to invite more people to join in on the fun.
    Until the game is Vista compatible, advertising to bring in more players is actually counter-productive.

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    we really should look at more advertising in the real life marketplaces to invite more people to join in on the fun.
    So glad you said "we".

Go for it! You can start advertising whenever, C'gan. Best way to get people to try the game is for those who already play it to talk about it to others.

Thread Information