Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Player Tips and Hints

Default Re: The "Man I wish someone had told me that before" thread

Just like in Windows...

Ctrl + left click = pick and choose multiple items
    Shift + Left click = Block select (this item ---> this item and everything in between)
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua
    ....Make a hotkey of "/select Tashka Lusa" changing the name of your target. Set it to repeating.....
    Also, the names aren't case-sensitive, and you only need the name up to the first whitespace break. IOW, "/select tashka" works just as well. Nice shortcut when you're in a crisis situation and need to key a target in fast.
    [G]
    Regards;
    --------->Hasai

"I feel like a fugitive from the Law of Averages."

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae
    ....I dont know about all the other /setpref commands, but the only one I really use is /setpref effectson false to turn off, and /setpref effectson true to turn backon. This stops all spell effects, weather effects, and the loading of things like portals and shops (as I find out when I recall without turning it back on). Its the only one I've ever needed in those laggy fight areas with lots of players, I can type it without relogging and it helps alot!....
    The problem with "/setpref effectson false" is that it can really bog-down teleports.

If I may suggest an alternative, try "/setPref combatSpellEffects false". It shuts down the biggest contributor by far to combat lag, and does not interfere with portaling.
    [G]
    Regards;
    --------->Hasai

Here's something: dragons can fly through portals. I know this might appear to be a big DUH to a lot of people, but you'd be amazed at the number of adult dragons I still see go to all the trouble of landing before using a portal. Just fly through the silly thing; it saves time, and if you're heading to one of those places that like to embed you in the pavement, avoids that little aggravation.

P.S.: Something else a dragon can do if they fly through a portal: when heading into Bad Places, mash the up key while transporting. If done correctly, you'll arrive well above the ground, and quite possibly have avoided a cheap-shot from some enterprising little mob.
    [G]

Regards;
    --------->Hasai

Quote Originally Posted by Hasai
    Here's something: dragons can fly through portals. I know this might appear to be a big DUH to a lot of people, but you'd be amazed at the number of adult dragons I still see go to all the trouble of landing before using a portal. Just fly through the silly thing; it saves time, and if you're heading to one of those places that like to embed you in the pavement, avoids that little aggravation.

P.S.: Something else a dragon can do if they fly through a portal: when heading into Bad Places, mash the up key while transporting. If done correctly, you'll arrive well above the ground, and quite possibly have avoided a cheap-shot from some enterprising little mob.
    [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-51.gif[/img]
    "enterprising little mob" - too funny [:P]

Great tips everyone

Decon out

Quote Originally Posted by fratricide
    there is a command called /availemotes that will give you a list of all the standard emotes with movements that the devs have so graciously installed for our gaming pleasure. my favorite is /shoe *note the /shoe command only works on some of the racial types.. but for sure for dwarves...
    This can be abreviate to /aem

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Speaking of free teleports, if you're wanting to save some time between racial towns (Dalimond, Kirasanct, Mahagra, etc.), there is an UNATTUNED route through Acul that is also free. Teleport to Acul, then to whichever other racial town you want to visit.

Also, there are several routes of free teleporting if you're coming from a settlement or guild location to go to racial towns. One of my favorites in particular is teleporting to Last Stand and running the road north then west to reach Aughundell. It takes a bit of time, but the road is clear of beasties and, best of all, it's free. Also a great way to sneak into the back side of the Aughundell mine if you're going after nickel and golems. For Dalimond, go to either Tishlar or Bristugo (Tishlar is across the bay, so run south over the bridge, then follow the coast). For Chiconis, either Harton Valley (north of Chiconis) or Slate Crest (west of Chiconis, run a little south of east and you can follow up a canyon to get to the upper craft cave as well as an unguarded iron field). For Mahagra, teleport to Blizzard's Reach. It's just a pad above the town itself. For Sslanis or Kion, go to Parsinia and run either north or south. Just a warning, heavy skeleton presence is on the road to Sslanis, as well as bronze and sandstone golems.

Something which was asked last night by a new player to Order shard that hasn't been covered: plot markers. Plot markers with flags mean those plots are for sale (or auction, if they've been recently repossessed). Plot markers without flags mean those plots are currently owned.

C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

If you don't have time to switch out tools to weapons to fight, you do unarmed damage.

taking Tinkering to 100 kills all your xp from deconning items if you level other classes because your Salavaging skill is too high.

Leviathan (formerly known as "Skald")
    100 ADV / 100 DCRA / 95 LSH Ancient Lunus Dragon (Order Shard)
    67 million Hoard...and rising!

"I kill where I wish and none dare resist...my armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!" - Smaug the Mighty

> Leviathan wrote:
    > taking Tinkering to 100 kills all your xp from deconning items if you level other classes
    > because your Salavaging skill is too high.

Well, that's not true.

It's just that it makes leveling other classes a bit more complicated as you have to use a Training- or Bronze Salvage Awl to cap your Salvaging-Skill. So no Auto-Decon anymore, just manually as in good old times. Craft items - equip awl - decon - rinse repeat. (Hint: add the "Equip Salvage Awl" to your processing-hotkey, so it's one step less to do manually)
    __________________________________________________ _________________

And another hint comes to my mind about the setup of hotkeys:

When you don't want to have all 10 hotkey-bars open, just put your most used hotkeys (f.ex. for fighting) on the bars with odd numbers and align them next to each other. For the not so often used hotkeys (f.ex. the buffing ones), use the hotkey-bars with even numbers. So when you fight you use 1, 3, 5, .. and if you need to buff up you just switch each bar one step up to 2, 4, 6, ... and back when you are done.

Works fine for me even in heavy battles ...
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

And .... another hint that comes to my mind - about using setscale

For those that don't know what that is: with the command "/setscale x,y" you set the scale (Dimension) of different objects in your copy of Horizons (means only you see the changes). So in fact this command is not for dragons only. [;)]
    For example i use it to make the appearance of my ancient dragon smaller when crafting, so i can select nodes that are around me much easier. Or to "shrink" other dragons when in a groupfight, so i can finally see anything else than swirling scales of different colour on my monitor. Last - but best - i use it together with command "/loot" on a looting hotkey (/setscale 0,1), shrinking the looted mobs. This way i see which ones i did loot already, as they are ... just tiny and look sooo cute. [:D]

How it works:
    Look up your folder of HZ/resources
    In there you will find the file commands_player.def
    Save it to your archive-folder of Horizons (You have one for all your hotkeys and other HZ-files, do you?)
    Open it and insert the following lines (including the brackets!):

{
    string name = "setScale"
    string usage = "uniform scale or scalex, scaley, scalez
    (/setScale f or /setScale f, f, f"
    string description = "Rescales selected object"
    int minParams = 1
    int numParams = 3
    }

Now you can experiment with different Dimensions of you and your surroundings - have fun.

Btw: It is said that you have to do this after each patch ...

imported_Arcat

The Split Drag

1. "Drag" an item to a new location by holding down left mouse button.
    2. Before releasing left mousebutton at the target destination hold the right button
    3. release left mousebutton
    4. A window now pops up where you can define the split amount.
    (you can release the right mouse button now)

The result is you just did split a stack into two piles at two different locations. Works with CDs, Silos, Structure, Pouches, Vaults.. Great to move just a fewamounts of the same itemfromCD into inv.

best,
    Arcat

Quote Originally Posted by HAG
    > Leviathan wrote:
    > taking Tinkering to 100 kills all your xp from deconning items if you level other classes
    > because your Salavaging skill is too high.

Well, that's not true.

It's just that it makes leveling other classes a bit more complicated as you have to use a Training- or Bronze Salvage Awl to cap your Salvaging-Skill. So no Auto-Decon anymore, just manually as in good old times. Craft items - equip awl - decon - rinse repeat. (Hint: add the "Equip Salvage Awl" to your processing-hotkey, so it's one step less to do manually)
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    I didn'tthink to dothat! that is an excellent piece of information :)
    Leviathan (formerly known as "Skald")
    100 ADV / 100 DCRA / 95 LSH Ancient Lunus Dragon (Order Shard)
    67 million Hoard...and rising!

"I kill where I wish and none dare resist...my armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!" - Smaug the Mighty

Trading with NPCs:

Many of them do not want coin, even if they have a 15c price on a formula, for example. Quartermasters want Imperial Bounty Markers. The Christmas Treants want Ornaments. The 15c means 15 units.

So if you are trading in markers or tokens or ornaments or candies or whatever, you pull the item you want into the receiving window, and put the needed amount of the markers etc in the giving window. Some things are worth multiple amounts (journeyman tokens are worth 5 beginner ones, and some candies in the Fall Festival were worth 2 or 3 units). As you pull markers into Giving, your "coin" amount at the bottom will change. When it matches what you need (or balances to zero, I forget which), hit Approve.

Be careful, if you over pay you do not get change.

-Levity Merrel

To add to what Levity has said about trading with NPCs who do not accept coin, I'd like to offer some relevant info.

The general unit of trade that Levity mentioned is 'copper credits'. Once you know what an NPC requires (see Levity's post for some examples of different currencies) you then need to know the value of the currency in terms of copper credits. Here's some examples :

Beginner Lore Token = 1cc
    Journeyman Lore Token = 5cc
    Imperial Bounty Marker = 1cc
    Festival Ornaments = 1cc
    Nature Lore tokens = 10cc
    Fall Harvest Candy = varies from 1cc to 3cc depending upon the particular candy

I think many of us almost fainted when we first saw the copper credit value of the Dark Cyclone formula, but as soon as we realised Nature Lore Tokens were worth 10cc each we all breathed a sigh of relief [;)]

*bump* .. very useful info. maybe should be stickied?

Got this one from Amon in IRC today after patch. It affects all of us who have older installations of Horizons (you know who you are, who have the clientprefs_graphic.def file rewritten with every patch):

<AmonGwareth|TG> are you referring to your clientprefs_graphic.def?<AmonGwareth|TG> is it located in your \horizons\ folder? or in your \horizons\prefs\ folder?
    <Tagath> \horizons
    <AmonGwareth|TG> okay, two things to do
    <AmonGwareth|TG> first, move it into your \prefs\ folder
    <Tagath> ok
    <AmonGwareth|TG> second, in your \horizons\ folder open ClientPrefs.def and find the line "string graphicPrefs = ClientPrefs_Graphic.def" and modify it so it is "string graphicPrefs = "prefs\ClientPrefs_Graphic.def" "

Adwene Blightstalker

Bumps, good stuff lets not lose it

Snicker

Abandoned Isle and Wisp Isle directions.... since neither are marked on the map....

Thank you Alcor, for this post back in 2004:

[img]Themes/default/images/spacer.gif[/img]

This is a quick how to get there post as I dont believe these areas should be kept secret

Wisp isle.....if you go to Mahagra and take the portal to guild Sakon destination, then run north west over the bridge. The isle has Dim, Pale and Glowing wisp and wisp pooh

Abandoned isle.....If you go to Bristugo and take the portal to Scorp isle Kenaf Port, this is from the portal closest to the connie. Then you need to run north then west up to a small rock shelf at co-ords 14000 18168, then drop off the rocks toa smaller rock shelf below, you will see a cave and inside the cave to the left is the portal to Abondoned isle, the gatekeeper will be there to greet you. Thank you to "the Annatar" guild for building lighthouse and spawning gatekeeper. On this isle is all T2 resources.

If your a dwagon it is easier to fly west from Kion to co-ords 18500 24500

I got one.

I wish someone told me how to get into groups before, because I still don't know.[:D]

ahahahahaha... fine don't laugh with me.

hahaha well try /gi tribunal to start a group :)

Thread Information