Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Player Tips and Hints

Default Player Tips and Hints

We've all had it happen to us many times in the past, be it in this game, or in some other. You learn that you can do something that had you known it many levels ago your whole experience with the game would have changed. Or maybe it is just one of those "now why didn't I think of that" moments. In any case, I'd like to include a "Pearls of Wisdom" guide on the horizons.gamersinfo.net website. But the only way I can do that is with your help.

So, if you have a tidbit of wisdom, share it. To give you an idea of some of the things I've heard recently:

You can go to Town Marshals and get mini "kill tasks" for coin.

Those two little boxes next to your name/hitpoints/class, etc? They aren't just for show. That's your spell/ability queue. When a spell you are casting or ability you are using moves from the bottom to the top box, you can start the next one and it will go off automatically. (I can't tell you how much faster this has made combats go for me personally.)

Things like this are what I'm looking for. If you think there is a chance that some new player somewhere might not realize it, share the thought.

Thanks in advance. :) The community here is what makes Horizons great, and I know that first hand. Lets share that with others as they come new to the game.

Default Re: The "Man I wish someone had told me that before" thread

I used to think that your weapon skill only determined if you could use a weapon or not.....

then I was told differently that is actually improves damage, and BOY! I started walking all up and down all the monsters butts.

Breaking 2000 on your ownpersonal melee abilities to say the least if I had never learned this I'd been in pretty bad shape.[:$]

The "Find next group member" button on the map. I find this a big help when I'm trying to help a new player find a place, and invariably I get asked "How do you know where I am?"
    Guildmaster of The Alliance
    http://The-Alliance.cjb.net

Dragons can craft scales on an anvil as well as a scaleforge - I have told this to many hatchies who reply that they wish that they had known that before.

/lfg

One of the best and most under-used features in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover
    /lfg

Never used it, but then again the game is easy enough to play solo...
    Apart for some RoP and ARoP mobs and SoG of course... [;)]
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Rover
    /lfg

Agreed.

As for my submission, I would have to go with:

Being able to use the number keys to trigger abilities/formula's/spells on the hotkey bars.

Also, being able to drag tools/formula's onto the hotkey bars.
    Explorer 80%
    Killer 46%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 33%

You can use %T% and %L% in messages.

If you use Coordinated bolt/strike with a group, have the hotkey start with a text message command like "Coord strike on %T%" to announce what you're hitting. Or you can just be crazy and have all your attack keys say things like "Eat hot triple teched mithril you misbegotten %T%". This is extra amusing when you highlight a crafting machine and accidentally press a hotkey.

When someone asks where something is, or where you are, you can select the object/person in question and say "I'm at %L%" to give the coords.
    Ingo Nosdracir - Chaos - Human Paladin ++
    Nimah Nosdracir - Chaos - Human Warrior/Cleric
    Ogni Nosdracir - Chaos - Dragon Hatchling

alt-Q / alt-W for cycling through chat windows. alt-A / alt-S for cycling through chat tabs.

F9 to select self. F10 to select nearest enemy.

If you like using only a single hotket bar in your UI, then you probably know this. If you're looking to free up space in your UI then consider using shift + number of hotkey bar to switch to that hotkey bar. Then use the corresponding number for the hotkey you wish to trigger. Saves moving the mouse all over the place if you've got ten hotkey bars filled up with spells and abilities.

press enter to activate your chat, Hold down shift and use the arrow keys to cycle through the last things you said so you can repeat them.

If you use the inventory screens in list mode instead of icon mode you can use shift and control to select multiple items, just like you would in windows explorer for example.
    Very handy to mass delete, mass hoard, or mass deconstruct if you forgot to check the auto-decon option.

Select yourself and press G for a funny system message.

errr, there was more But it wont pop to mind right now :s

Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

/setpref useloadingscreen false - for the faster porting..
    /loadui - to reload your UI if something is messed up with it.

Check your Horizons folder for a file called ClientPrefs_Graphics.def and about the 13th line down called, float MaxFrameRate = 80 , change that 80 to about 50 to reduce a bit of lag and can/will alleviate a lot of CTDs. Don't forget to save after making the change. If the number is too high (which it tends to be with it's default settings) then it can cause a lot of crashes, same if it is too low. Might even be able to change this in game using /setpref maxframerate 50 but I've never tried so not sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    /setpref environment false
    /setpref environmentsystem false
    /setpref environmentsystemlightingsystemoff true

These three commands will do a few things. Most notably you will lose ALL of your sky effects. You sky will either be completely black or completely light blue and there really is no picking and choosing which your sky decides to be (I've tried). IMO this is the only con to enabling these three commands. The other things you will notice. 1) Less lag, 2) meaning possibly less crashes, 3) daytime light ALL of the time, there is no night and day.

To follow up the %T% and %L% commands you can also use %R% to report to rating is a target... So if you have a rating 84 Wraith Lord targetted you can tell your group, "%R% %T% approaching" and it will come out, "84 Wraith Lord approaching." This is also good to use for incoming message hotkeys and the like.

You can have more than 1 hotkey bar open simultaneously.

to think as a newbie i had no idea weapons could be upgraded every 5 levels and armor every 10 (or more, depending on your AU)... i was using a bow for someone at least15 levels below me before i was shown there was a better way... [:$]

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Trade with the trainers. They also have forms to scribe.

Quartermasters want Imperial Bounty Markers (IBMs, for short).

Beginner Imperial Lore Tokens (BLTs, for short) are worth 1. Journeyman Imperial Lore Tokens (JLTs, for short) are worth 5.

If not hauling a Tarbash's cargo disk, you cannot teleport or recall with the disk equipped unless the disk is grounded. If hauling a Tarbash's cargo disk, you cannot recall with the disk equipped unless the disk is grounded. Hauling a Tarbash's disk equipped through a teleporter (not grounded) costs coin.

You can deconstruct everything you make EXCEPT any item that will count as a stack (bars, bricks, orbs, spools, hide strips, boards, construction units, potions, spell shards, etc. do not deconstruct).
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

liliaa

The one that has come in really handy for me is..

When in a chat channel, typing andyou want to delete your whole line without having to backspace the whole thing (very annoying sometimes)...
    shift/delete will take care of the whole lot of it [:D]

Liliaa

Toggle +/= to switch between run and walk.

You can set a hotkey to equip entire sets of armor and jewelry at once.

Blighted equipment that prevents recalling cannot be removed if you're dead.

When making reaping potions, make sure that all your teched tools are safely in your vault before doing your combines. A teched tool will be used as a potion ingredient just as readily as a non-teched tool.

When you change class, any armor, jewelry, tools, or weapons you no longer meet the requirements for are immediatly unequipped, which can leave you naked and overburdened.

If you get stuck in a terrain hole or inside a ground feature (like the Taz West pad), try jumping while moving backwards. You seem to get more altitude or something on a backwards jump than ona forwards jump.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

A few thatTulga showed me at the GenCon gathering:

Options: turn 3D movable window ON
    Right click on your main window, and select properties
    Turn off "Locked"
    Now you can grab the corner of your screen and resize the view area

Highlighting multiple pieces of jewelry / Armor by using the Control Key in your inventory and then dragging the highligted items to a hotkey will set up an instant macro to equip all of those items (except if you have 2 "like" items like rings or bracelets, you will have to edit the hotkey and separate them.)

Making a hotkey to multiple things (like remove/wear armor, cast spells, etc) must NOT have armor/jewelry with health techniques or spells that add health... ANY change (+/-) in health will automatically kill the hotkey macro due to people abusing the hotkeys to make UCMs (Unattended Combat Macros)

Making macro hotkeys to "buff yourself" must have a 2 second "wait" between castings to allow the animation and casting to happen for the first spell.

If you want to upset your party members, the /loot command will remove all items from a selected corpse and can be hotkeyed.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

To deconstruct your items all you need to do is click the checkbox in the create item interface and it does it automatically for you.

I found this after 66 levels of blacksmith and deconstructing from from inventory using list mode andselect --> shift key -->select to highlight a range before right clicking and choosing deconstruct.
    Fleshrend - Chaos Server
    94 Cleric 12 Warrior 10 monk 8 mage
    100 Blacksmith 100 Mason 91 tinkerer 100 Carpenter 100 Fitter 80 Scholar 73 spellcrafter 41 gatherer 49 Miner

Belezar, welcome to first day retail :)

The auto-deconstruct checkbox wasn't always there ;)
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

If your salvaging skill is higher than the crafting skill you are using to make something, then decon will use your salvage skill and you won't get XP for it. To prevent this, get a beginner salvage awl (caps salvage at 50) and equip it before deconning. It's a pain to have to shift-click/right-click/deconstruct, but it is much better than not getting any XP for it.

The gather raw material quests (ore, slabs, uncut gems, etc.) can be done by loading yourself and your disk with the appropriate material and standing at the trainer selecting the quest and re-greeting. The processed material (bars, bricks, boards) and crafted item quests cannot be done using an existing stock of quest items, you have to get the quest them make the item. You can stock up on the precursor raw or processed material and bring it to a trainer who is near the appropriate machine.

Pay attention when you are close to an efficiency change. If you are 198 in smelting and at 200 you will be optimal, it can be well worth the cost to grab a strength potion or two for that two point boost until you go up another level.

Ingo Nosdracir - Chaos - Human Paladin ++
    Nimah Nosdracir - Chaos - Human Warrior/Cleric
    Ogni Nosdracir - Chaos - Dragon Hatchling

Thread Information