Thread: So what DID they look like anyway?

Default So what DID they look like anyway?

A while ago, I sat my dragon hinny down on the warm rocks of Dralk and gazed up at the sky for a few hours, purely on a whim. Most of my time was spent meditating, pondering, and ultimately daydreaming about what I'd be eating for supper that evening.

Of all the things that I thought up that were generally pointless, there is one thought that struck me as curious enough to post on the forums and ask around; Lunus and Helian. We know these two legendary and iconic members of the Dragon-kind were once living individuals, and we know a lot about them from various Lore through In game experience and from factoids that the almighty Devs have graciously provided us with.

But I was hit with a quandary; do we know what these dragons actually looked like?

I have never seen any Lore, image, or read any reference that would glean insight to this mystery, and it leaves me scratching my head and puffing my nostrils full of dissatisfied smoke. These dragons were big figures in Istaria's Lore, so it seems odd that we don't have any statues, or tapestries, or... anything that describes how they looked.

So, I'm wondering, has there ever been any Lore at any time that mentioned something about their appearance? And if not, how do my fellow dragons and other Istarians picture them? What color were they? What shapes were their heads?

It's such a conundrum! What do you think?

(I also ponder if this should have gone in a different directory, lol)

Default Re: So what DID they look like anyway?

I think it is up to everyones imagination, like the same with drulkar, noone knows how he looked.

Through there are references ingame, but no clear ones.

Xerix holds the ancient memory crystal out to you. Peering in to it, you begin to relive the razing of the human kingdom of Barasavus, hundreds of years ago. Seeing General Lunus in action is both thrilling and inspiring. His prowess in battle may never be surpassed, but you can certainly learn a few things from watching him in action. It truly is a beautiful dance of death.

I have my own picture in mind how lunus and helian looked, and would be kinda upset if a real picture would destroy that.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

One of my early ideas for a mural type of decoration for lairs had a kind of shrine for each that you could build in their memory. I created two dragons to use as a basis of a portrait that would have been a part of it. At the time, I created Lunus as a red and Helian as a blue matching the themes of Dralk and Chiconis. I never did finish the models, partly because the client did not like them. With this post, I kind of wonder if having a definate image would have anoyed more players than just Takora.

I would not be anoyed Solitaire.
    Vice versa: annother piece of art of yours,
    I would be proud to decorate my lair with.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Personally, I'd rather know what they looked like. When it comes to in-game, official lore, I'd rather see things defined than left to imagination.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

I've never pondered what either looked like, but for voice casting, I'd vote for James Earl Jones & Helen Mirren.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

I wouldn't mind having those two voices, but I think it'd be a little difficult to fit a Darth Vader helmet on a dragon.

One of my early ideas for a mural type of decoration for lairs had a kind of shrine for each that you could build in their memory. I created two dragons to use as a basis of a portrait that would have been a part of it. At the time, I created Lunus as a red and Helian as a blue matching the themes of Dralk and Chiconis. I never did finish the models, partly because the client did not like them. With this post, I kind of wonder if having a definate image would have anoyed more players than just Takora.
    I think that would actually be a really groovy idea. I would like to see something like that. I think too that it's nice to have real, solid lore that has real, solid characters... because they were real. Not a myth like Drulkar... or, you know, speculative. I'd just make sure they looked good. XD Stay far from that frog-face design and the floppy nosed design and I think most is A-OK by me. I've always imagined Lunus with either the multiple-horned default head or that other one that I don't know how to describe. Got no horns and a slit in it's upper lip. I always imagined Helian with either the default horned head, Galde's head, or the last head on the creation screen (Nitino's, but I don't have a picture here D: ). I guess people will always imagine them with their favourite heads, so it'd probably be safest to go with the default head, but even if I didn't like the design it's nothing to get upset about. After all you don't just walk over to someone in the street and say, 'I'm upset now because I don't like the way you look!' XD

So I wouldn't be bothered. At the end of the day, Helian and Lunus are Virtrium's characters, no one elses. We have our characters, Virtrium has theirs. :P

~Galde

Voices! Now there's something I hadn't expected upon making this post. lol

But it makes sense; voices often give you an image of the person in your mind. ...even if that image isn't right at all. lol!

And interesting choices at that; I particularly like the one you chose for Lunus; it makes it easier to understand that Lunus was more then just a hardheaded jerk with a superiority complex.

<Ponders how the idea of community projects to erect statues of Malganival and Helian in Dralk and Chiconis respectively would be taken...>

<Ponders how the idea of community projects to erect statues of Malganival and Helian in Dralk and Chiconis respectively would be taken...>
    I like this idea.

~Galde

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    (Offtopic)
    Murals with Red and Blue dragons is not a bad idea and nobody could be against it unless you claim that its the real Lunus or Helian.

I would love to get a mural which has the faction emblem of either the Lunus or Helian faction and not the plaque version with the 2 different colored stonewall, but the real mural like the Gemstone dragon.
    (/Offtopic)

(Ontopic)
    To be honest I dont really think that it is important to know the exact shape and colours from the 'real' Lunus and Helian.
    Do you personally really want to know how your ancestors look like from 300-400 years ago? Isnt it interesting enough to know that they have existed and perhaps a name.

A statue from the original Lunus and Helian might be fun also as a community building project, as long as the Lunus statue is placed in the area around Dralk and Helian in the area around Chiconis.
    Also I would prefere that both the statues have a headtype that is not allowed to be chosen during character creation to prevent copycats...
    Wouldnt want to have dozens of Lunus or Helian adults/ancients copies.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Or simply make them statues similar in design to the Entombed Dragon or the Sleeper. Big silver statues in a pose that would embody the various Helian or Lunus values. You get no copy cats then as there would be no colours to copy and it would also stop the problem for those that would like to keep their exact appearance a mystery.
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

I think this is what Lunus looked like:

Last edited by Trust; April 23rd, 2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Thatched roof cottages!!!
    Tempus fugit, memento mori.

The Burninator! Trogdor!
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Quote Originally Posted by Veruliyam View Post
    The Burninator! Trogdor!
    Trogdor is so awesome, he could even kick Chuck Norris around. XD

oh LOL. trogdor.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    I think this is what Lunus looked like:

How I would love to see that on a mural in my lair... A dragons version of painted arts
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Thread Information