Thread: Quad-core support

Default Quad-core support

im getting a AMD phenom 2 X4 955 (3.2ghz per core) and it just seems a waste that HZ will only use one core...is it possible to get Quad-core support on HZ

Default Re: Quad-core support

Make sure that you have four subscriptions and play four characters at once.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

And 4 PCs! I think they disabled that you can run multiple clients a while ago

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Eh considering EQII and WoW dont support it (nor do they support dual video card) the fact that Hz actually RUNS on my dual system without me having to swtch to single video core...Is nice..

Neither of those other two games can worik without crashing, hard, repeatedly, and rebooting my system on duel graphix mode..heh.

Most games, MMOs anyway, dont' "support' nor use quad core..not yet anyway. You get more of that action on single player games - prolly cuz they evolve faster and its a new game instead of trying to adapt an old engine.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Current Blight client allows for multiple simultaneous logins, provided multiple active subscriptions. The current live client doesn't, though. Tagath and I use it on a daily (or near daily) basis. The trick is, once you have your logins all done, do a <ctrl><alt><del> to get to the Windows Task Manager. Go to the Processes tab. Click on the Name column (this will alphabetize all the processes). Right click on each instance of horizons.exe or istaria.exe (depending on which you're running) and Set Affinity. Choose a different CPU for each process. Close the task manager and wait a few seconds for the changes to take effect (you will notice it happen if you're in-game with one of the fps windows open, as your frame rate changes suddenly up to 20-60 fps, depending on base core speed).

In no time, you're running multiple lstaria games (I suggest using window mode to swap back and forth easily) and are able to do much more. The only other suggestion I have is to make your key bindings slightly different for each character. Sometimes, the movement keypresses will transfer from one window to another, particularly during teleporting. Auto-run is one of them.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Oh sweet, I look forward then the client goes life. I already hear my CPU cry in agony

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

It's not your CPU that you have to worry about, it's your poor, poor harddrive.

well the next system i build will have an SSD for the OS and a program or two. i wonder how much faster Istaria would be on a SSD ?
    "Knowing others is intelligence,knowing yourself is true wisdom.
    Mastering others is strength,Mastering yourself is true power"
    by Lao-Tzu

Not sure if you were replying to someoen else C'gan - but I know that's not realy what the OP meant when he meant "quad core" supported .

I'm thinking he's meaning the program takes advantage of more CPUs, leading to faster processing and such. One program, utilizing all the power available to it...

Which to my knowledge, very very few if not none of the MMOs out today actually do..(Perhaps AoC or Warhammer being the newest released but..I'm betting not)
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by The Traveller View Post
    well the next system i build will have an SSD for the OS and a program or two. i wonder how much faster Istaria would be on a SSD ?
    Someones tried this already; I remember reading the post in, I recall, Hardware Discussions. The performance change was negligible.

If Horizons used even dual cores, it could get rid of the annoying stuttering you get when streaming content over the net. It's rather unrelated to the hd accesses as far as I can see, so I can only assume there's a cpu processing headache going on. Cpu is a quad 8200 with 4gb ram, admittedly on Vista32.

WoW could stream stuff off the hd, with the hd light constantly on, and still maintain at least 30fps on my crappy laptop. That terrain was fixed though and not as dynamic as that in horizons.

Rakku

Sigh...... i found the topic..... http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17452

bah, i will still have the SSD in my system for other reasons, but at least i will not be disappointed when the performance in Horizons/Istaria does not pick up. nice read though with some good info to keep in the back of your head.
    "Knowing others is intelligence,knowing yourself is true wisdom.
    Mastering others is strength,Mastering yourself is true power"
    by Lao-Tzu

Thread Information