Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwarf Fortress (more time wastage ahead!)

Default Dwarf Fortress (more time wastage ahead!)

Some of you may already know about Dwarf Fortress, but to those that don't, Dwarf Fortress is more or less what it sounds like: An ascii graphics game where you get a bunch of Dwarves and make a fortress.

If anything, it's kind of like an ant colony simulator. You control pretty much every aspect of your Dwarves' lives - the only time you can't order them around is if they are sleeping, eating, or dead. The main goal is to keep your Dwarves alive while building an epic fortress, but it's not as easy as it sounds, what with raiders, wild and vicious animals (elephants!), scarce resources and an ever-increasing population during the off-seasons.

I'm also wondering if there would be people willing to attempt a succession game. The best example of this is probably the story of Boatmurdered, but in essence the succession games involving players taking turns with a single fortress. Each year, a new "ruler" is elected and they have to make do with whatever grand plans (or giant mess) the previous ruler(s) left behind. I think it's a great idea and would love to try it out at some point, if enough people get interested.

You don't have to be good or anything, just willing to give it a shot. Oh and you DO get used to the trippy graphics after a while, so don't worry about that.

What does everyone think?

Default Re: Dwarf Fortress (more time wastage ahead!)

Something a friend of mine who played Dwarf Fortress sent me: (Possibly NSFW and certainly not for people easily offended by "the F-word".)
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

I'd tottaly be up for a sucession game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    Something a friend of mine who played Dwarf Fortress sent me: (Possibly NSFW and certainly not for people easily offended by "the F-word".)
    Heh, I was almost hoping the image would be a bit longer...

I might be up for a succession game, but I should probably be last on the list of turns. I'm still very new at the game and don't have a full grasp on anything at all. I'm learning it a little bit at a time, but I still have no idea how to manage things like, say, a military. Or mechanism constructions like remotely-opening floodgates and retractable bridges.

So chances are... the dwarves would all die from some onslaught of horribleness while I fumbled around!
    Tchanel Rulskyl, Ancient of Order.
    Currently unable to return due to being poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirevix View Post
    I might be up for a succession game, but I should probably be last on the list of turns. I'm still very new at the game and don't have a full grasp on anything at all. I'm learning it a little bit at a time, but I still have no idea how to manage things like, say, a military. Or mechanism constructions like remotely-opening floodgates and retractable bridges.

So chances are... the dwarves would all die from some onslaught of horribleness while I fumbled around!
    To manage things like floodgates and bridges you need to first 'b'uild them. Then you need to build a Lever (b -> T -> l), I'd recomend in your meeting area/dinning room, where the dwarves are usulaly nearby.

After that press 'q' over the lever, then 'a'dd new task, and select what you want hooked to that lever ('f'lood gates for example). You'll need 2 mecanisims per item that you want hooked up. After that all you have to do is q over the lever and 'P'ull it to open the gates or raise the bridge or what have you.

As for the military, depends on your specific issue

Quote Originally Posted by Wirevix View Post

Well, it's ok for a fortress to die out too. It's possible for a group to go back in and reclaim the thing after all the dwarves have been killed, thus allowing players to continue on. By the way, an excellent source for info is the Dwarf Fortress Wiki. It explains most of the features and helps you figure out what to do with various things you find.

I think we should have inexperienced players in between the experienced ones, so that if something does go wrong it can be fixed before the next poor soul is dragged in...

Edit: So far we have three (possibly) willing souls: Me, Tcei and Wirevix. I think four people will be enough to get the thing started and then others might join in once they see it going. What do you guys think?

Hehehe. I keep the Wiki open every time I load the game, it's the only reason I'm still playing the game--the menus and learning everything just intimidated me the first time, there's no way I could get through it without a guide! I am getting better, it's just... a slow process.

My last fortress I flooded by not realizing flood gates couldn't be opened or closed without a lever. Ehe. Had a dwarf get stuck behind it, had to pull it out to rescue him... and there went the rest of the fortress, underwater.
    Tchanel Rulskyl, Ancient of Order.
    Currently unable to return due to being poor.

I have been trying it for some time now (one or two hours) but I dont really understand what it is that I am supposed to do. It became a lot more clear when you posted the wiki page, but still it is quite hard.
    But I havent given up... Yet...
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

I dont know if you have already, but you may want to try a graphic pack
    Mike Mayday is a popular choice. It makes learning the controls a lot easier when you dont have to guess if that g running towards your gate is a groundhog or a goblin

If Dragonboy and Wirevix are willing to play then we have enough to start the succession game...

Quote Originally Posted by SinOfSuns View Post
    If Dragonboy and Wirevix are willing to play then we have enough to start the succession game...
    If you have about 2 real life years sure...
    For now I havent had a succesfull fortress, havent even had any imigrants as well... once I got a message I would get none at that moment though.
    Still trying to figure out how things work and reading the wiki a lot.
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Well, I just flooded my fortress by digging a channel, not remembering that I had rooms below the river! *sigh* this is one amazing game!

I got my first lot of immigrants too, which was nice. Not sure if it matters, but I was playing around with buildings and had almost one of each type even though I couldn't even construct them, let alone use them. I then got a stack of immigrants turn up (about 7 or 8 I think) which happened to have the skills I needed for all the workshops I had built! Might be coincedence, not sure...

Quote Originally Posted by StalePopcorn View Post
    Well, I just flooded my fortress by digging a channel, not remembering that I had rooms below the river! *sigh* this is one amazing game!

I got my first lot of immigrants too, which was nice. Not sure if it matters, but I was playing around with buildings and had almost one of each type even though I couldn't even construct them, let alone use them. I then got a stack of immigrants turn up (about 7 or 8 I think) which happened to have the skills I needed for all the workshops I had built! Might be coincedence, not sure...
    You can assign each of your dwarves professions. In other words, you can take a dwarf with no skill whatsoever and tell him he's a blacksmith now, and then if you try and build a forge he'll get in there and make it for you. Dwarves get skills from practice, so he'll eventually get pretty good at it if you give him enough jobs. You can always change a Dwarf's "preferences" if you need them to work on something else at the time.

Most recently on the game I was working on, I created a trap that links a bunch of trapdoors to an underground chamber with retractable spikes and also a metal grate. If invaders ever bother my dwarves, I can pull a lever, dump 'em all on the spiky death traps, and seal off the entrance to the fortress in one move! Then, when they are dead, I can reset it all for the next lot!

My next attempt at cleverness is to create a room that I can flood and use to drown invaders, and then drain off so I can loot their bloated corpses. Yay!

My eyes nearly caught on fire when I saw *this* screenshot ...

Looks like a hell of a lot of depth in that game, with the added bonus that it'll run on anything.

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    My eyes nearly caught on fire when I saw *this* screenshot ...

Looks like a hell of a lot of depth in that game, with the added bonus that it'll run on anything.

Rakku
    *Nods* Its the most indepth and varied game I've ever played, one of my favorite features in the game are how things like engravings are effected by the personality of the dwarf. I once had a skilled engraver who really hated the mayor of the fort, and when I told her to engrave the mayor's bedroom she carved images of him and the things he was terrified of all over his room. that in turn made him misserable for quite awhile.
    In another fort I had a trade caravan that never made it to my depot, but I could never figure out why, until a few years later when an artifact item turned up depicting the caravan being attacked by a werewolf and the wagon attempting to dodge it and falling off the cliff, it was awsome

Wow - that is some seriously crazy in-depth gameplay - carved relics of in-world happenings?

I haven't even gone near "adventure mode" yet, I'm too busy being amazed by fortress mode. Going to keep trying to build a well, that should be fun

Bit, by bit I am getting there.
    My last fortress had a moad, a bridge and an open and closable floodgate.
    Only why for dwarfs sake dont I ever get any new imigrants!!! got 2 messages that game that I wouldnt be recieving any... I want to know why.
    Did recieve a dwarven trading caravan had to finish my bridge across the moad very fast... lol

Its not unusual for the message that no migrants have arived on your first summer, and its not too uncommon to see that message again during the first fall/winter, depending on how well your fort is during the first caravan. Normally they'll arive the next spring.

Good wiki article on when/where/why immigrants don't/do arrive.

In short - build your wealth!

Thread Information