Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwarf Fortress (more time wastage ahead!)

Default Re: Dwarf Fortress (more time wastage ahead!)

I guess I didnt want to wait for the imigrants to arrive.
    Now these last few games I always start with 7 and suddenly I got 26.
    Good thing I give 6 out of my 7 dwarfs mining jobs so that I at least had room to dump them all.

The only problem I am having is not that I don’t understand the game, but that I do things way too improvised and that doesn’t work when you have 50 dwarves running all over the place. I place a chamber when I need it and were I want it, without any form of logic or good thinking

Need to learn myself to centralize bedrooms, craftrooms with storage, tombes (had 2 corpses rotting in my fortress without any tombes to put them and really no idea where I was supposed to build tombes in my messy maze fortress). Already use a centralized methode for bedrooms, which might be used in a simular fashion for constructing tombes, but not for anything else… Yet.
    Working on my craftrooms with storage now. Not sure how I am going to accomplish this, but it is going to be fun finding out.

Good thing I havent had any goblin attacks with my constant lacking militairy skill (my last fortress at least had a kennel for wardogs)
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

I had exams over the past few days so I've been really busy up until now. I still have one more next week, but starting soon I should have enough free time to get back into everything. In any case, seems people are getting the hang of things pretty well!

If you want to see a bunch of video tutorials, then check out www.youtube.com/profile?user=captnduck

Got my first well working, my first drawbridge, and saw off my first two goblin marauder attacks! Working on a "gymnasium" for my dwarves now

Some things I really don’t understand about this game…

I place the fortress under lock down because of a Goblin ambush, the dwarven merchants go mad and die of melancholy or whatever and then a few months later I get an attack by at least 10 suddenly appearing Dwarves (that I could see) and a large new group of Goblins at the same time, also they dont attack each other when they "meet".

Isnt this supposed to be some form of treachery...
    Dwarves and Goblins working together.
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

The dwarves that are attacking you were either kidnapped durring world gen, or their civ was conqured by the goblins at some point. Its actually fairly common in the current version.

In the current fort Im playing my dwarves are at war with the elves, at some point after several victories, things took a turn for the worst and the dwarves started getting defeated and I ended up with elven leaders, things should be enteresting once I start getting nobles

Had something weird with merchants the other day - they were attacked by goblin marauders and before I could beat them into a bloody pulp, on of the merchants died. The rest of the merchants arrived safely, but wouldn't start unloading their goods. I was stuck! Merchant never got better, and I ended up abandoning the fortress and starting again. What the heck, losing is fun

Oh by the way, if you decon the trading depot while the caravan is it, the merchants run off and leave all of their goods behind ;P

It's a dirty trick, but it's profitable!

I wouldn't mind checking this game out but would likely suck at it. :P

Quote Originally Posted by SinOfSuns View Post
    Oh by the way, if you decon the trading depot while the caravan is it, the merchants run off and leave all of their goods behind ;P

It's a dirty trick, but it's profitable!
    I read on the Dwarf Fortress Wiki that while this does get you lots of cash, the merchants don't appreciate you the next time they visit, if they visit at all. Merchants calculate loss vs profit, so if they "lose" a stock of cash and don't bring any back, either their rates will sky-rocket, they won't come, or in extreme circumstances you might get sieged by the merchants boss!

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDragoon View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude, but from my personal experience I can *guarantee* you will suck the first couple of times you play This is 99.9% because of the learning curve of the game. It's UI is truly awful... and I'm not talking graphics quality, I'm talking the labyrinth of hotkeys and menus you need to navigate!

My advice - get yourself 3-4 hours of time, load the dwarf fortress wiki, review one of the walkthrough/guides, and follow it to the letter! It's the only way you'll be able to learn IMHO.

Oh, and here's my fortress design for those that want to swap ideas:

Level 1 (i.e. one below ground): downward ramp from ground, 3-wide corridor for traders, branch out to trade depot in room, continue corridor to 2-wide, stairs down. You may also need farms on this level as there will probably be only stone below.

Level 2: 2-wide corridor with twists and turns (to set up traps and ambushes), finish in large (10x10) barracks so enemies have to fight through your guards to get lower. 2-wide corridor out of barracks with meeting hall and statue room, then "produce and junk" rooms off the corridor (still, kitchen, butcher, leatherworks, mill, etc). Think Istaria-Gatherer rooms

Level 3: 2-wide corridor, craft shops (carpenter, mason, forge, smelter, wood burner, jeweler, etc). Leave space for "depots" of goods, such as wood, bars, etc. I usually have long rooms, 10x20 or so, stacked with piles of goodies

Level 4: Habitation. Bedrooms, etc.

Level 5: "elite" habitation for nobles, smoothed and engraved

Level 6: Mining and exploration. I use the 7x7 approach (1-wide corridor grids, every 7 steps make a cross-road)

After I get a few goblin marauders I usually start building traps, and I build walls on the ground level around my entry ramp with a 3-wide corridor of walls. Then I build battlements for archers, bars to control enemy movements, then move on to catapults and trebuchets.

That's my fortress design so far anyway

For me I usually start out by digging into a wall/cliff side with a 3-wide hallway with a few bends to prevent enemy archers from having a clear shot. This ends at the trade depot. After that I have a small choke point and a large dug out area that I use as temporary storage/living/ect while I set up the lower leves. This normally expands into generic stock piles later.

Somewhere in there I add a 5x5 room with a stairwell in the middle going all the way down. The level below that becomes my main crafting area, with 3 wide halls branching off in to 2 wides for lesser used hallways.
    Below that is living
    and below that is more living, exploration/ fun rooms.

Edit: Oh, and I like to set up a wall surrounding the entrance
    Last edited by Tcei; June 30th, 2009 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post
    For me I usually start out by digging into a wall/cliff side with a 3-wide hallway with a few bends to prevent enemy archers from having a clear shot.

<snip>

Edit: Oh, and I like to set up a wall surrounding the entrance
    Interestingly, that's why I stopped tunneling into cliffs/walls at the start. I had problems building walls, and therefore arrows slots (battlements), on hills/slopes, and it slowed down building because I had to carefully select which bits of the wall to build first on the "slope" to make sure my archers could "man the battlements!". Building a ramp straight into the ground in a clear, flat area meant I have nice flat spaces to build my "castle" on

I have definitely built "keeps" on hills though, and tunneled up from underneath so there was no external way in.

Trap-wise, I got masons cranking out stone weapons to create weapon traps (if there is lots of weapon-producing stone) and carpenters with those "menacing wooden spikes" or whatever for spear traps.

"Here goblin goblin goblin, come and play..."

*click* *whirrr* *splat* >*goblin screams*<

Queue sound of evil dwarf mechanic laughter.

It is a horribly addictive game, and amazingly complex. What other games completely create a world with 10,000 years of history *before* you start playing??? Hmmmm wonder if the DF engine could build Istaria worlds...

Could probably create Istarian-like worlds with a fair bit of modding. Split dragons up into two civs, the Helian civ would trade with the bi-peds, while the Lunus seiged 'em! Dwarves and humans could stay the same, the elves could be come dryads. The other races would need to be modded in. Goblins could become the WA. For added fun I know how to gen a map that's over 90% evil, so we could even have undead and other Fun stuff.... *plots*
    _____

So we still up for this sucession game?

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDragoon View Post
    My playing is hurting my Hz time for a few months now and I finally start to understand it a little...

Btw I like smoothing and engraving every surface I can find, from crafting area's to bed chambers and dining rooms ( with a NO economy change in the init file thats possible).
    So in my underground city everybody sleeps in a 3*3 grand bedroom with bed, coffer and cabinet. All obsidian of course since I select my maps to have loads of the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post
    So we still up for this sucession game?
    I am not sure about the others, but I think I will be able to handle myself for atleast 1 year at the time.

btw... if you let me play I doubt you will recieve nobles. the last game lasted 6 years before I got bored and I had 130 dwarves with only the Philosopher and the Dungeon Master (with a royal dining room and grand bedrooms for all my dwarfs except the militairy).
    I think that I didnt meet the task requirement for the arrival of the Baron, not that I really want them to arrive, but would be cool to at least see them arrive once.

Ha! Im the oposite of you, most of the time I get my frist nobles within 3-5 years.
    If y'all want I'll start genning worlds and see what I can come up with that's good for newbies and fun for experienced folks too. I got a world gen param that does good about getting lots of sites with a good mix of features.

What do you guys think about this for features, once I find em.
    -Few z-levels (not all computers can handle maps with many levels)
    -lots of trees
    - Magma pipe (preferably underground to avoid grass fires)
    -Stream
    -1 underground feature? (probably bottomless pit, those are fairly small and self contained)

On a 4x4 this should provide pleanty of room to build while giving us stuff to have Fun with . I assume we'll go with the standard 1 year turn, 1 week to post about it? What do you want your dwarf's profession(s) and name to be? I'll do gender too if possible.

Im claiming a female dwarf, mason/engraver/building designer Name pending.

My last big fortress lasted for 5-6 years before quiting and I had only recenly recieved the Philosopher already had the Dungeon Master after less then 2 years I guess... I dont mind getting them, my living space is prepared for them, but they just dont want to visit...

By the way about the map

Few z-levels is always good.
    Lots of trees cannot hurt.
    Magma pipe is a definite yes
    Stream depends, are we talking about underground river or regular river/stream?
    Personally I don’t see the hurt nor the point of any of the underground features as long as it is not a demon portal.

Currently I am playing on a map with (see picture):
    A magma pipe which reaches the surface.
    A fast flowing river (you cannot cross it).
    No underground features which reach the bottom level.
    Loads of yellow sand for glass (if you like that kind of thing)
    Loads of obsidian for quite nicely priced trade goods.
    A few lesser points…
    The none crossable fast flowing river and some of the murky pools have Sea Lamprey and Sturgeon. Also the immediate area has Aligators. So wells are very important if you get wounded or run out of booze.
    Also the safe side of the river is not the same height constantly and thus making it quite interesting to start a fortress.

However I created a 130 dwarf fortress in a 3x3 area and only quit because I was bored.

Might be an idea to check out?

I want to be a Miner… I want to dig, dig and dig again…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (54.0 KB, 10 views)

I tend to avoid underground rivers unless I can get them where they dont begin and/or end on my map. The lag you get when you finally find one that starts and/or stops on your map can be horrific.
    I was thinking above ground brook, not stream, my bad. I was thinking to avoid streams and rivers for the carp and other deadly fish reasons, I dont know how everyone's comfort level is, but if noone has any objections to a river then that looks like a great place to me! You found the location so you can go first

The cool thing about a fast flowing river is that enemies cannot cross them, only have to take care that the fire imps dont attack you from across the water, but other then that I was safe from them.

First I would like to determine which skills and what equipement we shall take with us.

I always have the habit of taking:
    1 proficient miners + mason
    1 proficient miners + brewer
    1 proficient miners + brewer
    1 trader guy
    1 proficient Woodcutter + carpenter

The starting miners also stay miners and the second skill is later “discarded” or better said less used once other emigrants start to arrive.

As other equipment I always take:
    5 Copper picks
    1 Steel battle axe
    100 Dwarven ale
    100 Dwarven rum
    401 Plump helmet spawn
    111 Cat meat
    5 Pig tail ropes
    2 dogs
    2 cats

I always like to build and dig a lot before the emigrants start arriving.

If this is ok or if you have ideas about the equipment or skill distribution let me know…

Current list.
    1. Male Miner + Mason (Rvlion)
    2. Female Stoneworker + Building designer (Tcei)
    3. ?
    4. ?
    5. ?
    6. ?
    7. ?
    Last edited by Dragonboy; July 9th, 2009 at 02:18 PM.

Thread Information