Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Dwarf Fortress (more time wastage ahead!)

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Default Re: Dwarf Fortress (more time wastage ahead!)

hmmm did a brief flyby of the newb website and i just may have to give it a good look when i get back later today......
    i kinda like the thought of the cheese palace fortress.......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I'm really unwell at the moment, so I'm glad it's not my turn lol
    It IS going to get harder from here on out what with sieges and migrant waves at inconvenient times, but that's not a big issues since it's all about the fun!

I am sorry to hear that and hope you will get better soon.

You know what? With the newly created weapontraps and the already created ballista's the fortress is almost impossible to enter...
    As long as the dogs near the entrance remain alive and barking nothing should be able to enter.

And we always have the bridges we can put up to place the fortress under lockdown.
    I dont worry... whoever is going to do the next turn.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Small update on the Istaria mod
    http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...leonembark.jpg

Did a remake on the metals:
    - Seperate Copper and Tin or have been combined.
    Slightly less acording to reality since Malachite now creates Bronze bars instead of Copper bars, aswel as Tetrahydrite now has 80% Copper&Tin ore instead of just Tin
    - Considering a large amount of Nickel and Cobalt will be needed added some real life ore types so we now have 2.5 different nickel ores and 3 different cobalt ores.
    - Added the Mithril and renamed Adamantine into adamantium and made it a lot less rare (also Adamantium has been made to require only adamantium ore since I have no Master Metal bar ingame if it needs Mithril this is an easy change).

Currently removed all other not existing in Istaria ores such as Zink, Lead, Aluminum. Also we currently have no adamantine like material for our glowing pits

Did a whole lot more, but the game crashed after trying to embark to a chosen site, right before choosing which stuff to bring. So adding step by step to see which part is wrong.
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Almost a week after last post so I thought I shake things up again, so who's next for the succession game?

ps. Will give a small update for the Istaria mod as I created it so far.
    (I really want a [spoiler] tag on this forum like the Bay12 forum has !! )

Mineral stones:

Bituminous
    -Fuel
    Lignite -Fuel
    Native Copper -Copper
    Cassiterite -Tin
    Stannite -Copper (100%) / Tin (50%) / Iron (50%)
    Tetrahedrite -Copper (100%) / Silver (20%)
    Mohite -Copper (50%) / Tin (50%)
    Argentite -Silver
    Chlorargyrite -Silver
    Hematite -Iron
    Magnetite -Iron
    Garnierite -Nickel
    Limonite -Nickel
    Pentlandite -Iron (50%) / Nickel (50%)
    Native Gold -Gold
    Native Platinum
    -Platinum
    Cobaltite -Cobalt (for raw cobalt bars)
    Safflorite -Cobalt (for raw cobalt bars)
    Skutterudite -Cobalt (for raw cobalt bars)
    Native Mithril -Mithril (for raw mithril bars)
    Raw Adamantium -Adamantium
    (demoted back with the [deep] tag so it will only be available with HFS. Changed my mind since T6 as standard building material is a bit strange, besides we need something for our HFS)

Bauxite -Bauxite (couldn’t easily find a stone replacement for Magma proof mechanisms and stuff)

For the moment I removed all the in Istaria non-existent ores and useless colored stones like Orthoclase, Microline… ect.
    These could be replaced if people want them back and if yes please let me know which.

Alloy bars:
    1 Copper + 1 Tin = 2 Bronze bar
    1 Iron + 1 Nickel = 2 Steel bar
    1 Raw cobalt + 1 Nickel = 2 Cobalt bar
    1 Raw mithril + 1 Platinum = 2 Mithril bar

Gems
    -Garnet
    -Malachite
    -Turquoise

-Rose Quartz
    -Lapis Lazuli
    -Amethyst

-Aquamarine
    -Citrine
    -Jasper

-Topaz
    -Jade
    -Opal

-Periodot
    -Emerald
    -Fire Opal

-Saphire
    -Diamond
    -Ruby

Crystals (for crystal glass <=are ingame, but not yet tested for glass production=>)
    -Viridian Azulyte
    -Cerulean Azulyte
    -Amber Azulyte

-Titian Azulyte
    -Crimson Azulyte
    -Violet Azulyte

-Radiant Azulyte

New weapons (* usable by dwarves)
    -Short sword *
    -Gladius *
    -Broadsword

-Long sword
    -Hatchet *
    -Hand axe *

-Bastard sword
    -Two-handed sword
    -Large Axe *

-Battle Axe *
    -Mace *
    -Warhammer *

-Club
    -Cudgel
    -Staff

-Shillelagh
    -Quarterstaff
    -Maul *

-Short spear *
    -Long spear *
    -Dagger

-Dirk
    -Crossbow – bolts *
    -Heavy crossbow – razor bolts *

-Short bow – arrows
    -Composite short bow – razor arrows

-Long bow – arrows
    -Composite long bow – razor arrows

Made the decision to only use the regular weapons and not also the so-called fine versions and considering we already have 32 weapons, I doubt the game needs 64. Above weapons are the only weapons available in the mod, If I forgot any from Istaria let me know since I am officially a dragon only player.

Armor
    -Small shield -Medium shield -Large shield
    -Ringmail -Scalemail -Chainmail -Platemail
    -Removed Low Boots

Have not changed a lot with existing armors except added ringmail+scalemail, plate and chain will remain better but in theory require more material to produce. Removed the regular shield and buckler and replaced them with Small/Medium/Large shields.

Removed [anvil] tag for all metals except Iron since appearently it has no changing effect on the to be created item. Unless people like to sell anvils to caravans... Or drop it on an elven foot it can always be changed again.

All crystals are currently set to appear in every layer that exists ingame
    Gems however are currently programmed to start with the T1 gems in the Sedimentary/Soil layer up to T6 in the Igneous_Intrusive.

Still need to sort out the layers for the various ore types since I do think it’s a good idea to have for example platinum and mithril in the same layer considering the raw mithril bar is currently useless for construction purposes.

http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...leonembark.jpg
    (Still have to check the proper values so dont look strange if T6 is worth less then T1)

After sorting out the ore types and assigning them to their own layers instead of all over the place I will start testing the current geological setup before starting officially with the other civilizations.

Unless someone else is offering to create the the various new friendly and evil civilizations including a friendly civ of dragons.
    Only by editing the:
    entity_default.txt (civilization information)
    creature_standard.txt (race information).

Any questions or comments let me know.
    Last edited by Dragonboy; August 14th, 2009 at 12:19 AM.

I thought it was Tcei's turn next?
    Well, unless someone comes in and volunteers, that is :P

If Tcei doesnt start soon... It will probably be you, unless you want me to do 2 years in a row...

I'll get a start on it, prolly this evening or tomorrow sometime, depending on how I feel when I wake up

So uh... how are things going?

>.> Urf... sorry, I just kinda totaly failed on this. I cant seem to get into the game right now. If someone else want to take my turn I'd be fine with it.

Oh, ok. Well I'm really snowed under with assignments right now, but in a few days I might have time to play a bit. I guess we'll see how things go.

Update: As much as I'd like to play right now.. I have 3 major assignments due in 2 weeks, so I'm pretty much out of free time. Looks like someone else is either going to have to take the next "year", or we'll be waiting a while until I get free time again.

Everyone fallen asleep here?
    So what' s up with the succession game, we still going to continue or let it die a quiet death?

As for my mod… After I modded undead dragons and various other enemies in the game it seems that the undead dragons are a bit strong. After about 50 out of 200 years it becomes age of the undead dragons… lol
    But considering I play as regular dragons that shouldn’t be a problem… Playing as dwarves however might be slightly more challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    Everyone fallen asleep here?
    So what' s up with the succession game, we still going to continue or let it die a quiet death?

As for my mod… After I modded undead dragons and various other enemies in the game it seems that the undead dragons are a bit strong. After about 50 out of 200 years it becomes age of the undead dragons… lol
    But considering I play as regular dragons that shouldn’t be a problem… Playing as dwarves however might be slightly more challenging.
    Nah, I'm just in the final push of my university degree right now. When I'm done, I'll come back and play at least one more year of DF!

That said, I won't be done for at least a month...

Bet you didn't expect this, but I'm back! Uh, so far nothing really interesting has happened on DF, but I said I do a year, so here's the first 1/3 or so. More to come later.

Journal of Sibrek ‘Ironhand’ Zulbanmigrur

1st Granite, 205
    It started out as such a nice day. Sun was shining, birds were singing, and everything was going my way. Then I start noticing people giving me the eye all conspiracy-like, as if something was up, and everybody knew about it but me.

They know that I hate it when they do that! Even more so when they start acting like I’m just imagining things when I can clearly see them whispering and pointing behind my back! But in any case, I figured maybe the boys were throwing me a surprise birthday party, at least until I looked at the date. First of Granite? My birthday isn’t for two more seasons! Then it struck me… today is the day that a new leader is elected to watch over the fortress for a year! Naturally, my first thought was “No. Ohhhh no. Don’t you even think about it!� So I stormed my way over to the leader’s quarters, barged in and demanded an audience. And that, of course, is how this whole mess started.

“Hold everything!� I declared, startling the current leader out of his origami or whatever it was he was doing besides leading everyone. “I absolutely refuse to do this whole leader thing again!�
    He nodded, and gestured to a chair. “Of course, we never intended to put you through that again in the first place! But now that you’re here, let me introduce you to the Dwarf who’ll be the next leader.�
    I sat down, bewildered. “Oh, it’s not me? But… but the whispering! The looks!�
    “Ah, probably they expected you’d feel like nextleadersayswhat!�
    “…what?�
    “Excellent. Glad that’s settled. Well, I’ll be seeing you!�
    “Oh you son of a-“

And with that, he yanked a lever, disappeared down an escape shaft, and left me in charge of this damned fortress for yet another year!

2nd Granite, 205
    Dear god, this place is a mess! I mean, it’s not that anything really needs to be done, it’s just that I can’t even figure out where to start! There’s Dwarves everywhere I look, the previous leader has set all kinds of jobs that I have no idea about, and I’ve heard word that the goblins and kobolds in these parts are organizing war parties to attack us! Wonderful time to put me back in charge, indeed.

Ah. Here’s a start. The dungeon master says he wants some better quarters and an office, so I’ll get some Dwarves on that, then go from there… I also ordered our military squad to patrol around outside of the fortress to try and catch any ambushes early, not that that’s likely to work very well. There’s also a bunch of junk in the trading depot. Someone should really move that.

11th Granite, 205
    Apparently we need more miners. Next migrant wave I’ll make sure and assign us some, then turn the rest into warriors!

The bloody miner Dwarves keep telling me every time they find some new stone. It’s annoying, especially since it doesn’t do anything other than look prettier than the other stone. Now if it were hematite or something THEN I’d be excited. But not for friggin’ stilbnite or whatever!

Suddenly, elf merchants started unloading goods at the trading depot. Crafty buggers, nobody even told me they were coming! I told the trader to go get ready to, well, trade, and also tried to figure out what we could afford to sell. There was stuff everywhere, and I’m still not sure which of it is essential, but I figured the rock crafts and stuff were unnecessary, so out they went. Also found some goblin underwear stashed in the closets of some of the more shady-looking Dwarves. I ordered that out for trade too.

Turns out the Elven trader’s name was “Famine�. I made some brief jokes about horsemen and apocalypses but he just frowned at me, so I left the trading Dwarf to do his job with old Grumpypants. In the end, we sold a ton of useless trinkets and got a bunch more cages for who-knows-what, as well as some exotic animals like a jaguar and a cougar! Going to set them to wander around and patrol the grounds, methinks.

Then I made the mistake of offering him some rope reed stuff, and he got all angry and took his goods away in a huff. Was tempted to sic the jaguars on him, but I refrained once I realized that some of what I sold him was the clothes off of the last Elven caravan that didn’t quite make it to the fortress. I hope they don’t notice the blood stains…

Anyway, the dungeon master demanded I give him a tomb, so I gave him a funny look and obliged. If he crawls in there and starts singing emo music though, I may have to send him off to clean the magma furnaces…

14th Granite, 205
    Tomb still in progress, most Dwarves still busy doing their jobs. The only one who’s really not doing all that much is me, and I suppose things could be worse if that’s the case. I’m looking into expanding the crafting area to allow for more craftdwarves, or maybe just building some crazy place for no reason. Can’t really decide yet, so we’ll see how things pan out. Oh, right, there’s that tower thing I was working on. Guess I can build more onto that then.

A goblin snatcher made a pitiful attempt to make off with one of the children today, and in the end didn’t even get close to the fortress, let alone the kids! It did, however, help me notice that we had a whole menagerie of creatures running around, so I ordered them all placed in the cages next to the butcher. Naturally the puppies would be spared – they make good war dogs – but the rest may be made into delicious alternatives to vegetables. Mmm.

Back on the snatcher topic, the military Dwarves chased the goblins (there was another snatcher lurking around) and it ended with goblin splatter everywhere. However, a Dwarf of all things leapt out to attack us and was also put down in the same manner. God knows what he thought he was doing, but I guess that’s settled for now anyway. Oh, and now I’ve been told there were some other attacking goblins mixed in with the thieves, all of whom died messily without our military receiving a single scratch.

Seems we need more woodcutters. I’ll make some of the idlers do the chopping.

17th Granite, 205
    Another ambush! This one was mighty dangerous as I myself was inspecting the loot dropped from the previous ambush when they popped out of nowhere! Brave Adil Asteshelor, some glass blower who I’d never before met in my entire life, gave his life to protect me as the military hurried over. He was buried with honour, and stuff was engraved around him to mark his passing. Pity Libash couldn’t have done it, I’m sure she’d have had a field day with that one.

I ordered the military to stand guard around the goblin death zone so as to avoid any more ambush incidents. Hopefully things will remain calm for a while now so we can recoup our losses and come back strong.

22nd Granite, 205
    More goblin thieves. Again they got slaughtered nice and quick, but it was still a bit of a pain to have to deal with more distractions. On the up-side, the storehouses are full to brimming with useless goblin armour and weapons.

I ordered the Dungeon Master to tame us an alligator for fun. His demands have finally been met, so he’s been rather pleasant and agreeable lately. Good for us.
    I also ordered the drawbridge to the north side of the river to be lowered since there were lots of healthy-looking trees to be cut down there, and no baddies in sight.

9th Slate, 205
    Our mayor has demanded that we stop all exports of chain mail. I wasn’t aware we had enough chain mail to afford exporting in the first place! Bah, whatever.

I’ve ordered the construction of a floor just outside of the fortress. It’s not just to look nice – I’m going to have cages full of nasty animals waiting there to be released onto would-be besiegers for fun and good times. The floor is just to make it look pretty as they tear our enemies apart.

1st Hematite, 205
    Summer already! So far, it’s been nice and quiet… not even any immigrants to mess everything up! I’ve been busying the Dwarves with my grand schemes, but nothing really unusual. Basically all that’s happened between now and when I last made an entry are these things:

- Killed another kobold thief
    - Added some new store rooms to try and clear out the messy trade depot
    - Have almost finished “The Wild Animal Doomsday Device�
    - Created a wood furnace on the surface so we can get more fuel
    - Some moron told the “Hoardmaster� to make really rough estimates of everything. I told him to ignore that person and get precise!
    - Created a lever which locks the lever room. Tell a Dwarf to pull it and he’ll be trapped in there with nothing to do but pull levers. Sounds cruel, but in a siege it could be a life saver. Need to add food storeroom up there too so the fellow won’t starve.
    - Lastly, ordered some animals to the slaughter, as we have tons to spare

I don’t know who the animal tamer is but they clearly aren’t taming animals. That annoys me.

10th Hematite, 205
    A human caravan arrived from Taba… wherever that is. Told the Dwarves to do the usual – bring out a ton more goods than the humans can carry and buy everything of value that they own. We’ll see what we get.

Turns out they brought a lot of wood. This made me very happy, so I gave them extra stuff for it just out of sheer joy. At least now we don’t have to rely on the single woodcutter to provide enough wood for all of our needs. Then, I bought just about every weapon the humans owned. Sure, we might not use them, but at least we have enough to equip an entire army with whatever weapons they may need. Also bought a ton of armour. It was pricey, but believe me, we had MORE than enough goblin and kobold armour to pay for it all. By the end of if, he was barely making any profit on his trades and didn’t care at all. Meanwhile, I was glad to be rid of all that junk.

Sadly (for me), the humans had no wild or exotic animals I could purchase, so I instead bought a ton of alcohol from them and sent them on their way. No doubt they’ll be back again next year with even more stuff after the profit they made today.

Oh, dungeon master is apparently female. Having not met her face to face yet, I just guessed she was a guy. Gotta stop doing that!

lol nice update Sun, very entertaining

Just started (yet another) new fortress last night - lucky for me "losing is fun!" I've got my starting build pretty much sorted now, always a triple-ramp leading to a trade depot, covered with cage traps in the early game.

Then double stairs down to a winding corridor that runs through my barracks, then down to work stations and accommodation. I always have trouble keeping up with the potash demand though.

Then a small keep that sits near my ramp, filled with marksdwarves. That pretty much takes care of any goblins and kobolds that are foolish enough to wander by!

This game is amazingly complex, but good fun for something completely different
    Want to know more? Visit the Istaria Wiki!

Hah yeah, I love the compleity, though it sure has one hell of a learning curve because of it.

I noticed that this year is a LOT less eventful than the previous year that I did. I think mainly it's because everything is already built and established. Mostly I'm not ordering Dwarves around now, I'm just making sure they keep doing what they are doing and it all runs smoothly. That said, I kind of expect I'll get a huge siege in early winter, so that should spruce things up.

Theoreticly if you keep all the dwarves inside they should be safe, I remember building loads of traps near the entrance with dogs keeping watch.
    I do believe however that once it is my turn again I will have to completely relearn the game, havent played in 2 months or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    Theoreticly if you keep all the dwarves inside they should be safe, I remember building loads of traps near the entrance with dogs keeping watch.
    I do believe however that once it is my turn again I will have to completely relearn the game, havent played in 2 months or so...
    Yeah, the only time we ever seem to lose Dwarves is when they ambush our woodcutters. I can't remember if it's in the above journal, but Sibrek nearly got killed by one such ambush... THAT was scary!

You might find that getting back into the game is easier than you think! After a few minutes of playing it all came back to me, so you may find you have something similar happen.

19th Hematite, 205
    One of our metalworkers, Fath Udostekkud, was possessed by some kind of spirit thing. Is this place haunted or something?? Anyway, I’d best go see what he wants before he slaughters someone and makes a chair out of their bones…

Oh joy, he claimed a magma forge. I sure hope he does something useful with it or else I’m going to be mighty annoyed at the hold-up on our valuable forge time! Either way, he’s currently rushing around collecting items. I had a Dwarf peer in (from a distance), and he seems to have collected iron bars so far. Now he apparently needs shells, rough gems, and iron bars. I think rough gems are the missing piece right now, so I’ll see if the miners can find some. Otherwise, we might be in trouble…

Oh and Libash was re-elected as mayor. Smarmy bastard.

26th Hematite, 205
    Aha! We struck shell opal! Perhaps that will satisfy our resident crazy Dwarf!

Hmm… apparently not. This does not bode well for us, though I can’t figure out what else he may be wanting. Perhaps I just have to wait for the gems to be moved to storage first…

1st Malachite, 205
    Oh, thank Aran! The crazed metalworker has started his construction! At least I’m not going to lose another Dwarf due to insanity this time around, though the lack of turtles worries me a little. I may order some to be fished out or traded for later on so we have a steady supply of shells.

I asked Libash, whenever she had time to spare, to get the humans to send us some turtles next trading season, and also to ask them for more dogs. I think right now that turtles and dogs are all we need. Oh wait, metal ores! Bah, I’m too late with that request. Anyway, the humans want flasks, planks, blocks and amulets. I sincerely doubt they’ll get much of anything but the last item on that list, but that ‘s not MY problem with way.

Oh and my “Wild Animal Doomsday Device” has hit a snag, mainly in the form of not being able to build cages on my hatches. The engineers assure me it would never work, so instead I’m going to have to figure out some other way of doing it, like having a pit room to push them down into from above the trapdoor room. Bah, logistics!

5th Malachite, 205
    So, Fath has created an incredible iron pick. Not bad, I guess, since we can at least use it. Of course, it has no value to me personally, so bah. It’s called “Puzzleseal, the World of Delight”, in case you were wondering. I actually think it looks pretty neat.

26th Galena, 205
    My, this has been a quiet year so far!
    I’ve had ample time to complete my “Wild Animal Doomsday Device”, and so now it sits there, just waiting to unleash snarling doom upon my foes. I’m quite happy with the design now, and it works simply enough.

You see, what one does is put the cage containing a large, tame creature up the top of the building. Then one assigns that creature to the “pit” I have created just above the opening, which leads to a doorless, windowless room. In said room the large animals will congregate, and when the time is right, a simple lever pull will drop them all neatly down upon my unsuspecting enemies! Muahahaha!

…yeah, I’m bored. Could you tell? Not only me, but half the fortress seems to have nothing to do. It’s just one of those seasons, I guess. Oh well, at least it gives me time to prepare for the inevitable doom that is surely approaching while I sit here unaware.

4th Limestone, 205
    Today, to alleviate our boredom, we dropped the captured goblin thief into the animal pit of the WADD (Wild Animal Doomsday Device). It took a fair bit of doing to actually get the goblin in there – it wasn’t very co-operative. It broke free, and was quickly dispatched by the guard, much to my disappointment. I wanted to see it fight the animals, but maybe next time…

The Dwarven Liason just arrived too, so I sent the Dwarves out with the usual goods to do some trading. And then while I was trying to get Lorbam to go do some trading, she gave birth. Hooray, now go earn us some money, you slacker!

At that moment, a goblin ambush leaped out and mauled yet another of my woodcutters badly… and it was then that I discovered that my military patrol was off slacking about somewhere rather than patrolling where they should be! At long last they swept in and slaughtered the goblins, but the poor woodcutter was not long for this world. I blame this loss entirely on their ineptitude. They also managed to kill one of the merchant’s guards, but that’s not really something for me to worry about, so meh.

Naturally, another ambush followed soon after, but they were cleared out well before they could do any harm, with the military finally on full alert after the last fatality. Yet another ambush followed after that, with similar results. After the body of the brave woodworker was moved to a tomb, I finally turned my attentions to the trading to see what we could get.

21st Limestone, 205
    At least, I thought I could. Next thing I know, another Dwarf is taken by a fey mood and goes off to claim a Mason’s Workshop! On top of that, our broker was slacking off somewhere, so I hate to wait for her to stop being a doofus and help out. While I was waiting, I ordered some cage traps built out the front of our already deadly trap area, so that we would have some survivors to execute later on if we ever got attacked. I also noticed later that we were attacked by quite a large force of goblins during those ambushes… all of whom died very quickly.

I put in a request for some assorted gems and steel and iron bars with the liason, while Lorbam was STILL on break. I had a strange desire to go down there and strangle her, but I remained patient, hoping that she would hurry up and do some work. Eventually I got fed up with it and let some random Dwarf do her job. I wanted the trade items, even if she was too darn lazy to get us a good deal on them.

Fortunately, whoever was nearby did a really good job, and the trader left happy while we left with a whole bunch more animals, some steel and platinum bars, and a bunch of gems for use in crafting. I also purchased a few sets of steel plate mail – something our military Dwarves will surely appreciate – not that they deserve it right now. Still, we need good defenders, so we’ll make do with what we’ve got.

Oh, I was just informed that it was Libash of all people who did the trading. Well… I guess she’s good for something after all!

1st Sandstone, 205
    I almost forgot about Mr. Moody. When I asked around, the Dwarves told me he’d been seen about the place collecting various materials. All things considered, that’s good. Much better him doing that than going crazy in a corner! Looks like we’ll end up with another legendary mason after all of this, too. That said, dear god… he’s taken a LOT of items up to build this thing. I’ve had a list sent to me, and even though it’s incomplete, he’s already claimed:

- 2 blocks of obsidian stone
    - 3 turtle shells
    - 1 set of iron bars
    - 1 hide of elk leather
    - 1 set of cut green glass gems

What IS he building in there?? Oh look, he finished his list with goblin bones. This is going to be wonderfully morbid, I can tell already. At least everyone has work now, what with strange moods or hauling the things I just bought around or patrolling the grounds for more goblins…

5th Sandstone, 205
    So, he’s finished. Nomal Thaksodel, the Dwarf who was taken by the Fey Mood, has created “Romanticsneer”, an Obsidian Quern. For those of you who don’t know what a Quern is, it’s um… it’s like a manually operated millstone. All in all, it’s yet another thoroughly useless item. It’d fetch a pretty penny if sold though, that’s for sure!

Either way, now he fancies himself to be a miner, and that annoys me because his job was NOT mining and now it may have to be just because he’s suddenly a genius at it. Oh well, at least he’s not insane.

Speaking of mining, we found a bunch of gems in the new mining place I designated, and I’ve already ordered them cut so they can be encrusted onto stuff. I’ve also added some more weapon traps to our already ridiculous trap place that I like to call “trap alley”. We just have so many spare weapons now that it’s no problem!

19th Sandstone, 205
    Our miners struck native gold. Not bad, though I don’t know what we’re going to do with it.

I’ve also ordered the lever room to be expanded to include more levels and food and a bed, for reasons previously specified and as morbid as it sounds, I also ordered more tombs to be built because we were running out of space. It’s all those goblin ambushes, I tell you!

The Dwarven caravan liason pooped out of nowhere to inform me that they wanted alcohol, lots of alcohol. And cut gems. I nodded politely, told him I’d see what we could do, then had a good laugh behind his back about him thinking we’ll hand over our precious gems for trinkets and baubles. The alcohol we can at least do – there’s tons of the stuff just lying around.

A goblin snatcher appeared, was spotted, then ran the hell away. Yeah. You do that. Oh wait, no, he came back and was caught in a cage trap. To the animal pits!

5th Timber, 205
    One of our dogs appears to have wandered too close to the volcano and was burned to death by an imp. I sent the military to kick its ***, but now I’ll no doubt need a dog coffin for the beloved animal…

Oh snap! It’s worse than I feared – the imp killed two glass blowers as well! What were they doing over at the volcano? Not just that, but some moron Dwarves went up there on their own to collect the corpses and were assaulted by the imps before the military could arrive! That makes three deaths from fire imps, and nothing I could do to stop it! Grr… who needs a goblin siege when I have idiots running around in the fortress?

Note to self, need two glass blowers and a crafter now to replace our losses. Oh and two woodcutters, if I recall.
    I’ve begun assigning war dogs to people to keep the death count as low as possible. I also ordered someone to use our artifact mechanism to construct an epic weapon trap just outside of our fortress.

12th Timber, 205
    Friggin’ Libash has ordered that we make adamantine items. With what, dumbass? God, she finds a way to haunt me even as a mayor!

We also finally got around to throwing the goblin into the animal pit. Its screams were most satisfying and helped us all relieve a little stress. It was such a big hit with the Dwarves that I ordered a platform to be built on top of the tower where goblin cages could be placed, ready for execution. This should be goooood.

1st Moonstone, 205
    Winter’s here. **** it’s been a quiet year so far! I mean, aside from the onslaught of morons getting themselves killed, not much has happened. I assigned myself some war dogs as an escort, too. After all that’s happened, you can’t be too careful! Out of boredom, I’m also making myself a huge tomb. Might as well, you know?

I finished the sleeping quarters in the lever room/tower thing. There’s food there too, so the Dwarf who’s in charge of pulling levers should be fine. I’ve designated a new refuse pile/dumping ground over the volcano. I figure it can sort out our trash for us.

20th Obsidian, 205
    Yawn. So far there’s been nothing happening all winter – just steady progress on my current tasks. Oh wait, there we go… some worker just went crazy. Waaaait a minute… that’s not some worker, that’s the previous leader! Apparently old “Rvlion’ has been possessed by something, so we better hope we have the right materials…

Just a small update – he’s claimed a mason’s workshop and has filled it with brimstone, diorite and a strange amalgam of spit and earwax. Now he’s grabbed some green zircon and dog bones. And there go some rough red spinels. Ok, he’s building something, so that means he won’t go crazy at least. Now to wait and see what we get…

28th Obsidian, 205
    A statue! Rvlion has produced a brimstone statue! At last, something we can use! He seemed kind of particular to it, so I had it sent to his room where he can drool over it all day. Lucky bastard.

1st Granite, 206
    And with that, my year as leader came to a screeching halt. Rather uneventful, really, not even any immigrants to bother us! Either way, I’m done here for now, though I daresay they may drag me back in charge if I don’t keep my wits about me. Well, for now at least this is goodbye!

Well, another year over. That was really really uneventful, aside from a few Dwarves being stupid, some births and three artifacts. But really, all things considered, that was the dullest year I've ever had in DF.

Oh well. Here's
    the link to the current save file, and here are some "images" of the artifacts that were created:

I'm surprised that no migrants arrived... it didn't even say that none showed up. They just didn't come. o.o

Oh, and the new magma disposal chute is on the north side of the fortress - it goes over the wall. I added a level onto the tower I was building, and gave myself a tomb in there. Um... added a few more burial sites, lost about 3 Dwarves to stupidity and traded a TON of goods for some high quality steel armour and weapons. Oh yeah, and the lever room now has a lock, and a lever for releasing the wild animals stored near the entry onto poor unsuspecting invaders. Pity I never got to use it.

If you notice something unusual, you can probably just check the notes for info, because I've added notes to most points of interest. Oh and I mined out a whole level and nearly another one. The F8 hotkey will take you to my mining zone.[/B]

Thread Information