Thread: Game Performance - Viewing Distance

Default Game Performance - Viewing Distance

Hello,
    I just downloaded and reinstalled Istaria after a long time away since I saw it now supports Vista.

I have a pretty beefy computer (built it myself) with Phenom II 3.0 Quad Core Processor, 4g RAM 1066mhz DDR2, ATI Radeon 4870 with 1g RAM, running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, Windows Experience Index of 5.9, etc. I've kept tabs on the game a bit since I left and when it showed supporting Vista I thought I would give it a try again, I like the ability to fly via my Ancient Dragon.

Everything loaded up fine, seems to run well, and I've got everything set pretty much to max settings. What I noticed while flying around was that I didn't really get as much viewing distance as I expected. Of course I am somewhat comparing it to more recent games like Fallout 3 (again on max settings) where my viewing distance is pretty darn far. I wouldn't expect Istaria to compare to a game like that, but the viewing distance on max still made me feel like my field of view was seriously fore-shortened.

I was wondering, since I've been gone so long, if there was a trick I was missing. I didn't recall it being that bad when I was a regular player. I'd hope to see a bit further when flying (at low altitudes anyway). Any suggestions, tweaks, etc?

Also some observations, after having kept tabs on the updates and whatnot, I tested things out visiting Tazoon, formerly known as Lagzoon, and was pleased that is seems much better. Aughundell used to be pretty bad as well, and seems much improved. Seems that the time for porting is still very pretty long, and logging in still seems to take quite a while.

I'd love to see the graphics in the game get an update. Dungeons & Dragons Online is doing just that with a re-launch of the game next month in a new Free to Play model. That game is 3 years old and they've updated/upgraded the graphics engine which has improved the graphics appearance substantially. I'd love to see that in this game as well. I have great memories (some not so great as well) of playing my hatchling into adulthood and ancient.

Also, any new content in the last couple years? Something for level 100 characters to do? End Game is what finally killed it for me, besides all the ownership turmoils. Glad to see it back in the hands of the folks who birthed the game.
    Mordoth Penumbraen
    Helian Dragon of Order
    (Retired but keeping an eye out.)
    Keir Chet k'Eilerten
    http://tinyurl.com/ZL3F

"I'm a vegetarian Dragon. I only eat Garden Gnomes."

Default Re: Game Performance - Viewing Distance

Dralnok's Doom, a new tier 6 update has been released. It is a vast expanse of underground dungeon that can chew you a new one if you are not careful.

I don't think that the engine can be updated until istaria can afford it, and especially when the development team is tiny... it is however still a powerful engine although the graphics are antiquated. Rest assured, the game is out of the hands of the infidels and back into the warm, loving embrace of the creators...

Quote Originally Posted by Mordoth View Post
    Everything loaded up fine, seems to run well, and I've got everything set pretty much to max settings. What I noticed while flying around was that I didn't really get as much viewing distance as I expected. Of course I am somewhat comparing it to more recent games like Fallout 3 (again on max settings) where my viewing distance is pretty darn far. I wouldn't expect Istaria to compare to a game like that, but the viewing distance on max still made me feel like my field of view was seriously fore-shortened.

I was wondering, since I've been gone so long, if there was a trick I was missing. I didn't recall it being that bad when I was a regular player. I'd hope to see a bit further when flying (at low altitudes anyway). Any suggestions, tweaks, etc?
    There is a command, and once set it remains at that level until you change it again through the same command or the options screen. I'd also be interested in hearing what it is again! It was something like /setpref fogenddistance (number) (that didn't work for me).

Anyone remember the command and if it still works?

Rakku

Try using:
    /setpref LoadDist #
    /setpref FogEndDist #
    /setpref FogStartDist #

Currently running with 160 for value on my machine and works quite well.

Welcome back to istaria i am on chaos shard but everyone deserves a welcome as for view distance i do not know how to change that but there is a loading screen on off option.. /setpref useloadingscreen false i believe

Thread Information