Thread: Weird Lag issues.

Default Weird Lag issues.

I've noticed here for about the last week anytime I try to play an mmo (not just Istaria) that every 5-10 mins I will get severe system lag that last 2-3 minutes. Ingame lag meters show I drop down to 1-2 fps.
    Im used to occasional monsterous lag spikes in some games; when they happen I normally just tab out and browse for a bit or something. This, however, is effecting my entire computer. Browsing the web, or even just trying to play something like Solitare is almost impossible untill the spike passes or I close the game.

As I said this only happens with any mmo I play (Istaria,wow,eq2, ect), when one of them are not active, my computer behaves as normal.

So far I've tried disabling my firewall/virus/adware protections, plugged the computer directly into the modem (versus thru the router), made sure all programs are closed (such as Firefox).

Checking processes nothing unusual pops up, infact the only change that appears is a sudden spike the the mem usage of the game (for istaria it normaly hangs around 90k but jumps up to 130k durring these spikes) and its status switches to Not Responding.

Anyone have any sugestions on what it could be?

Default Re: Weird Lag issues.

Do you get problems in any other type of app? i.e. internet explorer, playing video media, etc... when *not* running an mmo.

If internet enabled apps (i.e. mmo's) all do it, I'd suspect it to be a component of windows misbehaving.

Sorry I can't be much help. If you have a spare partition on your hd, it might be worth installing Windows again on that partition, installing one of your mmo's and playing to see if it still does the lag spike.

Rakku

Hmm, unfortunately Installing windows on a partition is a no go for me as I dont have the disks so I cant try that out...
    Now that I think about it one thing I did notice the other day when I hooked up the modem directly to my comp (and later put the router back in the mix) is that there seemed to be a lot of issues geting the comp to connect. Took alot of restarts and cycling the modem on/off before it finally connected.
    As my sis and her bf had issues connecting after I brought the router back into the mix,I think Im going to try switching out some ethernet cables and see if that works. Failing that I'll grit my teeth and take the modem to my *censored* ISP and get it replaced.

You'd think if it was the modem (or the wire between the modem and the router) it'd effect more than just mmo's but - eh.. I shall report back shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post
    Ingame lag meters show I drop down to 1-2 fps.
    This, however, is effecting my entire computer. Browsing the web, or even just trying to play something like Solitare is almost impossible untill the spike passes or I close the game.
    That's probably not a network issue. (Unplug your ethernet cable when everything is running okay and note that your computer remains responsive.)

My guess is this is heat related. Your CPU and probably GPU will throttle down when they become too hot. Make sure the CPU and GPU fans are spinning and that there's no dust plugging up the heatsink.

The thermal interface compound between the heatsink and die can fail too -- it can pump out from thermal expansion/contraction, as well as crack if the heatsink is moved relative to the die. (The latter can happen with video cards if the heatsink is pinched toward the card since the retention mechanism is almost always springs over plastic pegs.)
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Any disk error specified in the "Manage" section ?

Quote Originally Posted by Milandra View Post
    Any disk error specified in the "Manage" section ?
    Can you specify what you mean by "manage" section?
    I get no error messages when the lag hits.

I Guess its about time that my comp has a hardware problem. I've had this comp for nearly four years now and never had an issue untill now.
    Amazing how long my computers last when my dad doesnt/cant touch them XD

Can you specify what you mean by "manage" section?
    I get no error messages when the lag hits.
    Sure !
    Some messages may appear when this kind of problem happens...But usually, you can't notice at all.

Manage section: On the desktop, make a right click on the Computer icon,choose manage.
    Then take a look at the event viewer,on the hardware part.

If there's some disks related issues, you should see them there

Welp after poking around it turns out it was the fan on my graphics card that had stopped turning. After taking it out and giving it a much more thruo cleaning than normal its turning again.

Saddly now its got a bit of a hum to it. So it probably wont be long before it quits completely on me

Welp after poking around it turns out it was the fan on my graphics card that had stopped turning. After taking it out and giving it a much more thruo cleaning than normal its turning again.

Saddly now its got a bit of a hum to it. So it probably wont be long before it quits completely on me
    Have the lag issues stopped then, now that the fan is clear?

Rakku

Yep and after about 10 mins the fan stopped making noises. And everything seems to be behaving now.

Excellent news... well done!

Rakku

Thread Information