Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random Lock up

Default Re: Random Lock up

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman007 View Post
    no blue screen, just says that error and crashes to desktop, i'm told that 8 gbs of ram is recommended for windows 7 64bit but i set aside 5768 mb of my hard drive to use as RAM also, as i have a Tera-byte HDD
    Page file isn't going to cut. Istaria is too demanding on the hard drive. If you have multiple hard drives its best to configure the page file on the drive that Istaria isn't installed to.

How much memory (RAM) do you have? I'm pretty sure that 8GB figure is BS. Microsoft states that 2GB is the minimum for Windows 7 x64 and I know for a fact that it will run on 1GB albeit slowly. 4GB is the recommended amount.

Most likely it is a RAM issue. A defective or partially defective module can produce symptoms like this.

I recommend that you test the memory with a memory diagnostic tool. (ie Memtest86+ or the built-in Windows 7 memory tester). Integrated graphics may reallocate system memory (unless disabled in the BIOS).

On Windows 7 to run the memory diagnostic tool, simply type "memory" in the Start Menu's search box. Click the entry "Windows Memory Diagnostic" and follow the instructions. The test will run after a reboot (before Windows starts).
    This tool isn't very desciptive. Basically it will tell you if there is a problem or not. Memtest86+ is a much better tool.

Hatchling Dragon of Chaos, following the path of Lunus___ ___DRAG 38 / DCRA 55
    Ofnir, Sslik of Chaos. WAR 14 CLRC 10 MAGE 10 SPRT 14 / OUT 10 ARM 10

nvm it was the RAM after i dedicated all that HDD mem to use as RAM i haven't Crashed since

I strongly recommend to replace the RAM, if that's causing it. Defective RAM can cause corrupted sectors on the hard drive. Increasing the page file only decreases the chance of a BSoD/crash.

Hatchling Dragon of Chaos, following the path of Lunus___ ___DRAG 38 / DCRA 55
    Ofnir, Sslik of Chaos. WAR 14 CLRC 10 MAGE 10 SPRT 14 / OUT 10 ARM 10

As an aside, when troubleshooting random crashes and lockups, check the hard drives LAST (even though it's the most convenient test to run).

Running scandisk / chkdsk / fsck on an otherwise good drive but with flaky hardware has a high chance of corrupting the data on that drive. Been there, done that... now I keep backups.

Memtest, connections, and power tests first!
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Exclamation Re: Random Lock up

i hate to say it now once again evertime i log in after everything loads the program become unresponsive again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethil View Post
    I had similar problems with my new PC build about 3 months back. I kept getting random crashes and bluescreens. In the end I found that it was a faulty RAM stick. I RMAd it and got a new set and the problem was fixed. I did A LOT of troubleshooting to figure out it was my RAM. Im assuming you have a multi stick config for RAM. I would suggest removing all but one stick and run Istaria on it for a while and see if it crashes, then test the other sticks after running passes on each stick to see if the crash happens again.

Its a lot of work, I know, but Ive been there and had similar issues and my problem only popped up while in applications that involved a lot of memory usage and retrieval. Also check to see that all your memory is posting in bios or in your system spec screen in windows. If its not reading the full amount you have installed then RAM is probably where your issue is arising from.

Hope this helps narrow down your issue.
    Aethil has a very good point. I've just diagnosed a friends pc with faulty ram, after it demonstrated some very weird behaviour. Windows XP, for the most part, would work fine until you ran an app that used more ram and (presumably) hit the sweet spot that wasn't working correctly and would cause errors ranging from simple faults to blue screens and resets.

His pc's ram was posting less than was installed, and the bios was reporting a fault with the memory.

I can't quote that all bios's will halt the system to show you the error, so it might be worth checking.

Failing that ... as Amon said... reinstall the game/os/etc.

Good luck!

Rakku

Speaking from experience, whenever you suspect a hardware fault (this includes a corrupted filesystem, folks), run a pass or two with memtest and make sure that memtest reports no errors before proceeding with any further troubleshooting.

Doing any sort of disk I/O with bad ram is a good way to corrupt your filesystem.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Thread Information