Thread: [Fixed] Lava/Music Bug

Thumbs up [Fixed] Lava/Music Bug

I did a little testing, and I found a work-a-round to the lava bug where your music stops working(ex. when in Dralk). Its quick and simple.

Go into your Istaria install folder. Then goto \resources\sound\ambience. In there you will find lava_fire.mp3 and lava_00.wav. Move these 2 files to your desktop(or somewhere for safe keeping[I deleted mine]).

I then took the file fire_small.wav and made 2 copies of it in the above mentioned folder. I renamed one of them to lava_fire.wav and then renamed the other to lava_00.wav.

From here we have to change one small detail in the Sound_Ambience.def file. Open it up with notepad(or your favorite text editor) and goto line 364.. there you should find a section that looks like this

//lava_amb
    {
    string name = "amb_lava_00"
    float overallChance = 100.0
    TSample list sampleList =
    {
    {
    string filename = "lava_00.mp3"
    bool loop = true
    }
    }

Change the "lava_00.mp3" to "lava_00.wav".

And Voila, your sound shouldn't cut off after visiting a lava pit.

My theory is the mp3 may not be encoded correcty for the client to understand and there is some buffer error of what not.

Just my guess

Default Re: Lava/Music Bug

So you tested it and it works? Very exciting if it does.....

As to the quick and easy bit, all this file modification sounds rather daunting to me. But am willing to give it a go if it does the trick......

Just tried it myself. It works! Yes! Finally after all this time my Istaria music shall play uninterupted. Yay!!!!!!

If when they put the new patch in and they don't fix this, will I have to go through the whole process again?

Unfortunately yes. A full patch will scan the files and realize they don't match what they should be and replace them. You COULD make them read only

Place your modified files in the resources_override folder to prevent them to be deleted by a patch.

I suggest to copy the resources\sound\ambience structure in resources_override folder to keep it clean (it becomes fast a mess if you have several MODs otherwise).
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Oh, so that works for the sounds mod pack too?

Opening the two files "lava_fire.wav" and "lava_00.mp3"

I noticed something _odd_ about lava_00.mp3.

When opened with Winamp, the bit rate keeps jumping up and down 48-64KBps, and it is encoded in 44 Khz stereo format.

Meanwhile, most of the other files have a static bit-rate.

Maybe the game can't handle variable bit-rate files?

I think I might try decoding that mp3 and re-encoding it properly. Maybe that will fix it.

Edit: Yup, that is the one and only file with a variable bit-rate. I just scanned down through all of them, and none of them do this, except lava_00.

Update: Decoded lava_00.mp3 into a WAV file.

Re-encoded it using LAME into a 128 Kpbs 44Khz MP3 file and stuck it in resources_override\sound\ambience.

With any luck, this might fix the problem, but I can't test it until the live shards are back up from maintenance, but I'll be at work by then....

Okay, something really weird is going on here.

It turns out, that my theory was not correct, but I ran a couple more tests.

Things I've tried:

Replacing lava_00.mp3 with any other mp3 in the list (making a copy of, and renaming it to lava_00.mp3). The Dralk area sounds strange, lol. But sadly, the music still abruptly ends.

Replacing lava_fire.wav with any other *wav in the list (making a copy of, and renaming it to lava_fire.wav).

I've eliminated improper encoding and/or glitched sound files as the possible cause of this bug. It could be in the .def file itself.

Edit: Just read through the whole .def file, the entry for the lava-related stuff looks formatted exactly the same as the rest.

huh... maybe it has something to do with the file size, or frequency or something, who knows. meh.

Did exactly as the OP said, and it didn't fix it on mine.

I'm running Win7 64-bit tho, maybe that has something to do with it.

This will be fixed with the next patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    OMG!

Like.... for serious?

I mean, really really serious?

This will be like the single best patch ever, if you really do fix this bug.

I'm one of those players who can't stand silence, and I've been wanting to level my dragon, but... those fire beetles are prime targets, and... nothing else seems to compare in time vs reward for me.

Now, I'm excited and anticipating this next patch doubly so now.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    You mean I no longer have to insist people leave Dralk and come to Bristugo if they want something crafted? And this means the t4 units on the t4 hall will get done....

*breaks out the astounding fireworks and parties*

Dracaena

Thread Information