Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Two New Race Ideas

Default Re: Two New Race Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by stephan27 View Post
    As for the idea of serpent dragons being outcasts, I dont think they would really fit as good guys. Why would they join forces with dragons? If i was a serpent dragon I would join forces with the WA, like the skulks.
    Outcasts was my idea for a monster race not a player race. Which is probably the only way that serpent dragons are going to make it into the game. They would be similar to the skulks in that they would be intelligent, not WA but regard every other race as enemy. Again, we don't have any plans for such a critter.

How cool would an underground lair-like city be for the serpent dragons? Oooooh. *imagines* XD

I'd really like to have griffins as playable characters, they would be popular, I think. They could be betweenies of Dragons and Bipeds, maybe they would have just two classes (one magic based, one melee based) with a couple of masterable abilities and a dragon-like craft class that misses out some of the resources dragons can use but instead uses a couple of resources bipeds can use (wood?).

They could also have a RoP like quest to become adults, but I don't see them having an ARoP quest; perhaps the extra fighting class would cover for that?

Now I wanna play a griffin XD

~Galde

i think iit would be interesting and new races would always add a new spark to the game, attracting players.

Blog Entries

On the Serpent Dragons -

I did some research into the lore of Dragons and found something interesting out. When the dragons were brought over from the Ember of Fire, they were not that of the Dragons as we know of them but took on such shape to survive in this plane of existence.

As such, if they were that of fire, then perhaps Drakul(Draakul?), may have had a sibling which was that of water?

The idea is a bit out there, but the other issue could be then turned around and said that the serpent dragons could never exist because dragons were born of that of "fire and brimstone" and not that of "water", and I honestly doubt Drakul would make two different forms of his people and hide them from one another, unless when he locked himself away he was like: "...I wonder..."

So, as much has I would love the idea, it isn't really supported well in the Lore of Istaria.

The Griffons however could be supported, because like the Dryads and the Satyrs, they could have been hidden away from the world and yet to be located. I do like the concept of the island works and since there was a time before portals, then it could be possible that no portal was ever established there.
    It also could be applied that their island is hidden by thick cloud of fog and most sailors, back when there was, would never travel into fog unless they were mad, because they couldn't see the depth of the water or where they were going, thus only bring about there own doom if they pushed into far.

The Aegris would have no problem with fog, as they are undead and can go trumping around underwater, and probably can sense life forces far easier then any race, being fully aware that a living race was here somewhere amongst the fog.
    Fog such as this could be created very easily by nature. This is typically done due to cold water and hot air, this implying the idea of an island that is very lush and very full of foliage and probably even has a volcano, much like Hawaii or the Rain Forests.

Griffons would have seen this fog as further defense to protect themselves from other races, until the Aegris came, now they have to fly out of this fog to find help and that in itself could be dangerous, so this is perhaps why only one gets out to warn the others and so many get left behind.
    So not only could the island be an opening to a new race, which thus give more life to a game by adding in something else-- and also putting in another race that you typically can /never/ play in a game (seriously, when do you /ever/ get to be a griffon, expect as flying mounts or enemies) and perhaps even give an entirely new land mass to explore, with perhaps new resources and enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by neva View Post
    On the Serpent Dragons -

I did some research into the lore of Dragons and found something interesting out. When the dragons were brought over from the Ember of Fire, they were not that of the Dragons as we know of them but took on such shape to survive in this plane of existence.

As such, if they were that of fire, then perhaps Drakul(Draakul?), may have had a sibling which was that of water?

The idea is a bit out there, but the other issue could be then turned around and said that the serpent dragons could never exist because dragons were born of that of "fire and brimstone" and not that of "water", and I honestly doubt Drakul would make two different forms of his people and hide them from one another, unless when he locked himself away he was like: "...I wonder..."

So, as much has I would love the idea, it isn't really supported well in the Lore of Istaria.
    Behold, Drulkar releasing the underwater dragons...
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...olcano18m.html
    Well, okay, it does not mention dragons directly, but it does capture the "fire and brimstone" feel, no?

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    Well, okay, it does not mention dragons directly, but it does capture the "fire and brimstone" feel, no?
    Lol, yes it does. What i'm scared of is if a griffin was put into the game- would be hard peck on the rear for chewing on its foot hah *nom noms on a griffins foot*... ow i can already feel it! *hides from birdy rage* XD

I decided to give serpents a try at. I came up with two concepts, one of a water type serpent as a possible new player race, and another underground serpent as a possible monster race as has been suggested. Personally I like my water serpent more so I am going to post that first. ^^ I gave it a traditional long neck (picturing it probably swim similar to how (sea)snakes swim). Also short legs with webs between the toes (to help stabilize themselves in the water and make quick turns and allow for some ability to walk on land) short wings (useless for flight but can substitute as fins. Demonstrates a possible ancestor with Istarian dragons). A long sleek body of course. And because most serpents generally have some sort of "whiskers", I gave it two small stubby whiskers for looks.(I am not crazy about the long whiskers you see in most pictures.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

As for my underground serpents, I "attempted" to incorporate some of sol's ideas. A short neck and small head ( which I believe makes sense because a long neck probably would just get in the way while pushing through dirt). I decided it would have long arms and fingers (so that is can reach out in front of itself to dig through the dirt and move it out of the way. A bony chest plate to protect its underside from things like rocks. Remnants of wings and spikes(instead of fins) to suggest some lineage to Istarian dragons.) "Whiskers" under its chins which I guess could be use to "taste" and detect grubs and such as it moved underground (like star nose moles). Instead of horns I gave it spikes running down its neck since large horns while tunneling seemed more like they would get in the way.

I debated though on the large eyes that was suggested. Since most creatures that live underground either have small eyes or no eyes at all. Yes, owls have large eyes, but they are nocturnal creatures, therefore they use their eyes to detect the smallest amounts of light available. Creatures that spend most of their lives underground, in caves and deep below the ocean depths have no light source to speak of, so eyes are generally useless and use other means of sensing the world. That said, it looked better with the larger eyes, so I gave it that but held off on the pupils to suggest maybe that it is blind.

From a technical point of view, underground dragons seemed more "doable" because as it stands the water in Istaria is fickle. Sometimes it shows just fine, other times it doesn't load, or it will just load a section of the water. Whereas it is much easier to just create an underground world much like what they did with the mylocs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

Heh - dirt digging dragons - makes me think of watch-weyr's in Pern.

Also I would imagine that its claws/feet and legs would be thicker due to digging - almost shovel/spade like possibly. Really I'm imagingin something far more compact with tree-big legs and thick paws to dig - talons themselves would prolly be very small as long thin ones would be likely to break in digging .

Also if you use the watch-weyr's in Pern as an example of a dragon-cousin who lives in caves/mines/digs then their eyes are larger - and more reflective (like a cat's eyes). Dragonriders talk about flying over a mine at night and seeing the reflections of all the watch-weyr's eyes in the moonlight looking up at them. They can fly though, even with small wings - though they prefer to get around on the ground. I've always read them as large eyed thick-iguana type critters or something heh. Or more thick like a land-based dinosaur plant eater.

Anyway just thoughts/examples from similiar creatures in other mythologies.
    Last edited by Frith-Rae; May 23rd, 2010 at 05:26 PM.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthia View Post
    I decided to give serpents a try at. I came up with two concepts, one of a water type serpent as a possible new player race, and another underground serpent as a possible monster race as has been suggested. Personally I like my water serpent more so I am going to post that first. ^^ I gave it a traditional long neck (picturing it probably swim similar to how (sea)snakes swim). Also short legs with webs between the toes (to help stabilize themselves in the water and make quick turns and allow for some ability to walk on land) short wings (useless for flight but can substitute as fins. Demonstrates a possible ancestor with Istarian dragons). A long sleek body of course. And because most serpents generally have some sort of "whiskers", I gave it two small stubby whiskers for looks.(I am not crazy about the long whiskers you see in most pictures.)
    That looks really cool!
    I love how you did the fins on its body and such and yeah, you can see the Istarian dragon ancestory in it.

Honestly, I think long whiskers would have made it to much like the "Typical" serpent dragons, so using what you did gives it an original flare and makes it unique, which is better then trying to copy-cat what everyone knows.
    After all, even Istarian dragons are a bit unique.

That sea dragon looks awesome! I can see the relation to the Istarian dragons, and the short whiskers do make it look different from your typical sea dragon.

The digging dragon looks pretty cool too. But it remains me of Golem from Lord of the Rings for some weird reason....

Oh, but just so you know, quite a few Deep Sea creatures actually have very large eyes, or if not large, then very many small eyes, and they give off their own light through bio-luminesence. Maybe the dragons could have something like that?

No... wait, nevermind. Deep cavern creatures usally have no color at all, and they usally are blind. Maybe, if the digging dragons are blind, they could use echolocation, like bats? In any case, I think they look good with the big eyes.
    Last edited by flamestar; May 29th, 2010 at 02:01 AM.

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

There is still one thing I don't get. If they are blind anyway, why do they even have eyes? And having bigger eyes when you are blind? What kind of sense is that?

Quote Originally Posted by stephan27 View Post
    There is still one thing I don't get. If they are blind anyway, why do they even have eyes? And having bigger eyes when you are blind? What kind of sense is that?
    Well.... Maybe their eyes were already big, but living underground for so long made them go blind? Yeah it is kinda weird... But I think I've heard of actual animals like that. Huge eyes, but they can't see anything with them.

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

mmm...I think its more..

"very little light/get exposed to light" these are the "huge eyed" animals you see. Where perhaps their evolution began in an area that had very little light, and so their eyes were big to absorb what little light (even if its biolumenescent) they could see - but are also able to function in daylight even if its painful/annoyingly bright.

Some of these creatures then later just went blind because the "little light" became "no light at all."

And then there are outright blind creatures that evolved blindness long ago - in which case if they ever had eyes they are now skinned over or totally gone.

Caves are not necessarily "without light" totally. Hence why I used the example of the cave-dwelling dragon cousins in PERN. They can see really well at night with just moonlight or biolumenescent; they were used in cave/mine work and so spent most of their lives underground - and are happiest there. They aren't blind at all - but bright light is not preferred (and they see poorly with more light).
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

I just read Todd McCaffrey's version of his mother's world a couple of weeks ago. According to him, the watchweyrs see in infrared and the reason they don't like bright light is that there is so much heat energy that their eyes are overwhelmed. Don't think that concept would work well here.

Hey all, I finally got some more "concept art" done for that Griffin Race idea.

It's not much, just some armor and weapon ideas at the moment. I'll do some crafting mechine/resource/tool ideas next.

In this picture is a drawing of a griffin chick/cub, and an adult. The "feather" looking things are examples of griffin armor. I thought it would make sense for it to be like that, because dragon armor is like plate armor, and griffins aren't as strong, so they would need lighter armor, like chainmail.

The claw shaped things are "talons" that would fit over a griffin's front feet, just like dragon "claws". Yes, I know they only look like they'd fit over the talons on the griffin's foot, instead of the whole foot, but I was feeling lazy and didn't draw out the whole thing.

That materials represented in these examples are: wood, amber, flax, leather, and gem power (since griffins can't use stone or metal). Can you guys guess which item is made out of what?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhezara View Post
    Lol, yes it does. What i'm scared of is if a griffin was put into the game- would be hard peck on the rear for chewing on its foot hah *nom noms on a griffins foot*... ow i can already feel it! *hides from birdy rage* XD
    lol! Why would you want to chew on a griffin's foot?

Dang... 0_o This thread died pretty quick. I was hoping we'd at least get a Dev's attention about these ideas.

Ah well. Anyway, For those of you who liked my attempt at Istarian Lore concerning the Griffin race idea, and wanted to know what happened next: Here it is!

Yes, I know I said I might draw something out, but somehow it seems to come out better when I use words instead of drawings.

Also, I'd like to thank Neva for starting this thread/coming up with this idea in the first place, and for their more detailed idea about the "hidden island" theory. I'd also like to thank all of the others here who helped plot out the details for the griffin and serpent dragon races. Even if we don't get them, it was really fun trying to figure all that stuff out with you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by flamestar View Post

The Ancient dragon surveyed the landscape that stretched out below him, the only sound the beating of his great wings and the rustle of the wind over his dark red scales. Torchwing was in no hurry. It had been awhile since the old Scholar had been out of his lair, and the warm sun felt good on his skin, highlighting the golden stripes that dappled across it.

Movement caught his eye, and he glanced downward, the rotten stench of decay meeting his nostrils a moment later. His great eyes narrowed as he recognized what they were. There is no mistaking the Whithered Aegis once you see them.

“Flame!� He thought, “The undead are growing bolder by the day...�

This small group of undead seemed to be attacking something, perhaps some poor Adventurer that had crossed their path. The dragon flew lower, trying to see what it was. When he could only see glimpses of whatever it was, but as it seemed to move on four legs, he might almost have mistaken it for a wolf.

Almost.

A piercing cry reached his ears, like that of a great eagle! A flash of white, brown and yellow, a flurry of large, feathered wings-

“That,� He thought, “is no wolf.�

Immediately, he dove, landing hard enough that the earth trembled with force of it, and let out his mightiest roar! That certainly got the undead's attention. They abandoned their prey to face the newcomer, rushing onward regardless of the powerful foe they now beheld. There were seven in all, but the Ancient soon made quick work of them. After gathering his loot from their remains, he then went over to examine their quarry, which now lay unconscious on the ground.

“By my scales...� he thought as he gazed at it. “What is this thing?!�
    In all his life and travels, Torchwing had never seen a creature quite like this. In size, it was little bigger then a dragon hatchling, but it looked older then that, perhaps just come into adulthood. In head and chest, the creature resembled a giant eagle. A snow white head and neck, a large curved beak, with brown feathers down its chest and large feathered wings sprouting from its back. It's forelegs were bare from the elbow down, covered in tiny yellow scales and ended with strong talons, each equipped with a deadly black claw.

But here the resemblance stopped, for the beast's hindquarters were completely different. The brown feathers ended at its midriff, blending smoothly into short, tawny brown fur. The hind legs were like those of the Saris, lean and powerfully muscled. This, Torchwing reasoned, would give the creature ample power needed for lunching itself into flight. They ended in large paws, and long rope-like tail come off the rear, ending with a large tuft of feathers.

“For stabilizing flight, most likely.� thought the dragon.

It was then that he noticed something twitch on the creature's head. Two white ears stuck up just behind the eyes on it's head. They also, were like those of a Saris, but instead of fur, these were covered in feathers. They twitched again as Torchwing drew nearer.

“So, still alive, my strange friend?� he asked. As if in answer, one ear swiveled to catch his voice, and the one of the creature's eyes eased open. Torch caught sight of dark blue with a round pupil, but clouded with pain as the creature tried to raise its head to look at him. It blinked once, then the eye closed, and it went limp again.

It was only now that Torchwing noticed the blood, and silently cursed himself. He'd been so caught up in the beast's appearance that he hadn't checked it for injury. For all he knew it could have bled to death while he was still gawking at it! He quickly found the source of the problem however, a long gash in the creature's side, which was bleeding sluggishly.

“Hrm... You won't be alive much longer if I don't find a healer.� He said quietly. Fortunately, Torchwing knew of a naka city nearby. He would take the creature there for healing. Perhaps they might know what it was...

Torchwing glanced around as he entered the healers' building. He was in Khutit form, as his normal form was too big to enter through the doors. He soon spotted “his� creature on a bed near the far wall. The human healer tending it gave him a respectful nod as he approached.

“How is our 'guest'?� he asked softly.

“Stable.� said the human, an elderly male, “Luckily the wound only looked worse then it was. But he seems under nourished and hard pressed. Perhaps those Withered Aegis you killed had been hunting him for awhile now.�

“Strange...� mused Torchwing, “Why would they chase him for so long?�

“Maybe he can tell us when he wakes.� answered the healer, “If his kind speak, at least.�

A soft groan came from the bed. The two turned to look, and saw the creature lift its head, looking around slowly with wide eyes. It saw them and hissed in alarm, flaring its mighty wings!

“Peace!� said Torchwing, reaching a claw toward it, palm out, “Peace, my friend! We won't harm you. You're safe now.�

The creature gave him a strange look, then settled back down. There was a long silence, then-

“You look familiar.�

Another silence, as Torchwing and the healer stared in shock. Certainly they had guested that the creature could speak, but hearing and seeing it actually do so still took them by surprise. Its voice held a faint croak and hiss, whether an accent or simply from a dry throat, it was hard to tell. But the voice was definitely male.

Finally regaining his composer, Torchwing regained his dragon form, though he had to lie down after banging his head on the ceiling. “Do you remember anything of what happened?� he asked.

The creature started for a moment at the sudden transformation, but then calmed as he seemed to recognize Torchwing. “Ah, I remember you, Magic Wielder.� his said, nodding his head to the impressive dragon. “You saved my life.�

“Pardon me,� said the healer, speaking to the creature, “I don't mean to be rude, but who are you?�

He studied the human for a moment, then said, “My name is Talonstrike. I am one of the Gryphire'ryne (Griff-Fire-Rye-In); the Children of Gryphera (Griff-Fear-a), first of our kind.�

“Griff- Griffire- Griffin?� tried the human.

Talonstrike looked at him thoughtfully, then said, “If our name is too much for you, then yes. Griffin will do.�

“My name is Torchwing.� said the dragon, as Talonstrike turned back toward him. “Where do you come from, Talonstrike?� he asked.

The griffin was silent for a moment, then said slowly, “My home is a steep cliff face, the cliff where we built our eyries for generations. The cliff rings all around small valley with many trees and rivers. Hunting and fishing are good, and we can gather wood, clay, and weaving grass (flax) to build with. My kind have lived their since before any of us remember, never needing to go into the outside world. We were content, and lived in peace.� He paused then, lowering his head and continued, “We thought those crags and cliffs would protect us from all threats... We thought we were safe...� He looked up, met their eyes-

“We were wrong.�

He continued sadly, “They came upon us without warning, and without mercy. They carry the scent of Death, yet they are not dead! These, these walking Death, somehow they made it up the cliffs... There was this- this plant-like thing! With them, it tried to take root, twisting and distorting eveything around it. We fought, we fought, but they drove us into the valley... Many of my battle-kin were slain... I was sent to find help. I fled, but those- those-�

“They are known as the Withered Aegis.� Torchwing said solemnly. “They are undead.�

“Yes...� said Talonstrike, “Yes, those, those undead, followed me, ambushed me when I chose to rest. I should have known! I would be dead as well, were it not for you.� He raised his head, looking gratefully at the Ancient dragon. “You know of these foul creatures.� he then said seriously, “I can see the truth of it in your eyes.�

There was another long pause, like the calm before the storm...

Finally, Talonstrike said, “I was sent to find help. But, it seems that you have found me...�

Notes: The Griffin's name for griffin, I made up from the name for their “goddess�. Both names are based on the old spelling: “Gyphon�, and they wouldn't get out of my head. They seemed to fit anyway. But I'm not sure how the “first griffin� would fit into the Istarian Pantheon. Most likely as one of The Forgotten Ones, I should think.
    And now, here is some more of the story :

A few weeks had passed since Talonstrike's rescue from the Whithered Aegis, and Torchwing came to visit him regularly. During these visits, the Ancient dragon told Talonstrike about the lands of Istaria, of the Living Races and their Gift, and of their plight by the hoards of the Withered Aegis.

The griffin's health was fast improving. Today he was well enough for a short flight outside. Torchwing accompanied him, and afterward, they both rested on the roof of a nearby building.

As they sat there, looking out at the setting sun, Torchwing looked down at the young griffin. He studied the other for a moment, as if gathering his thoughts, and then said, “I have told you much about our lands these past few weeks. But you have yet to tell me more about your homeland.�

He paused, wondering if he should continue. He knew that speaking of the griffin's homeland might be painful for Talonstrike, but it was the only way the other Living Races might be able to help free them from the undead armies. Finally, he said, “I would like to know more about where you come from. Perhaps with that knowledge, we might find a way to rid your home of the Whithered Aegis.�

The young griffin remained silent, staring out at the horizon. For a moment, Torchwing was afraid that he might have asked the question too soon. But then-

“My home is an island in the sea.�

Talonstrike did not look at the dragon as he spoke, but continued to fix his gaze out beyond the setting sun. His eyes had a far away look in them, as if he were once again seeing his beloved home.

“My home is an island shrouded by a deep fog that not even our keen eyes can pierce. Within this fog are tall pillars of rock and sharp stones that jut from the water. And through that fog are beaches of white sand that ring a clear lagoon. Beyond the lagoon are tall steep cliffs that ring the entire island.

The eldest of my people say that our home was once a great mountain of the sea that spewed fire from it's depths. The mountain blew itself up, they say, and now all that remains are the great stone cliff-walls and the heart of the mountain at the center of the island. There is still fire inside it, but it no longer spits flames.

The steep cliffs are where we build out eyries, our nests. And below are lush forests and meadows. It is a good place. Or, at least, it was...�

Talonstrike faltered then, looking away from the sunset.

Torchwing waited patiently, not wanting to interrupt. The young griffin said nothing more for a long while. Then he seemed to perk up slightly, as if remembering something. One of the creature's claws went to his chest, and drew out something that had been hidden among the feathers.

As he held it up, the thing seemed to glow in the warm light of the sun's last rays. Torchwing stared at it in wonder. It was a simple pendant. A smooth round stone hung on a rawhide cord, but the stone was unlike anything that the old dragon had seen before. It was the color of honey, with flecks of what looked like gem powder in it. Strangest of all was the tiny grass beetle that seemed to be encased within it.

“What is that?� he asked, pointing to it with a claw.

“A gift from a friend,� Talonstrike said softly, gazing at it as he held it in the light. “We call it 'Amber'. It seeps from certain trees on our island and hardens into stone over time. These are tall, straight trees with needles for leaves. Sometimes we collect the sap from these trees to make it ourselves, but amber is more easily found in hardened clusters at the base of the trees. Sometimes things like this beetle get trapped in the amber before it hardens, and we find them.�

He finally turned to look at Torchwing, and continued, “My people are not stone cutters. Amber and gems are the hardest things we can cut. Wood, fired clay, leather and sharpened gems are what most use for armor and weapons. But the most experienced crafters can take the amber and melt it, and then cast it into feathers which are tied together with rawhide over leather padding. Gem powder is often mixed with the amber to strengthen it.�

His eyes seemed to smile then, and he chuckled quietly, saying “I guess it wasn't a very smart idea to leave without getting my armor first...� But then his face grew solemn again. “The undead came from under the water and through the fog. They somehow made it up the steep cliffs... I wasn't the only one who was sent to find help. But the fog that we thought could protect us, now became a death trap. Those of us who didn't crash into the stone were slain by the undead that followed us into it. We never saw them until it was too late... As far as I know, I was the only one who escaped...�

Talonstrike would say no more after that. Torchwing watched him for a few moments, unsure of what to do. Finally, he said, “I'm truly sorry for your loss. But I will do what I can to help you. And perhaps we can convince the other Living Races to also come to your people's aid, and strike another blow against the Blight and the Whithered Aegis...�

Well, that's all I can think of for now. Hope you enjoyed this little story. And who knows? Maybe we could get these guys as a race in some future event. That's all up to Devs to decide.

Random stories good -

Wanting dev attention - um, I dont' want to rain on anyone's parade but I can tell you right now its "not going to happen.."
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    Wanting dev attention - um, I dont' want to rain on anyone's parade but I can tell you right now its "not going to happen.."
    Yeah lol but it was still fun while it lasted.

Thread Information