Thread: To the Power that Be

Question To the Power that Be

When you first started creating "Horizons" You had an Vision on what you wanted. I have been wondering If Istaria is still the way you visioned?

Yes this is like asking a Parent if their child is growing up right.

Default Re: To the Power that Be

Since the game has changed owners three times, This would seem an odd question. This would be more like asking your college roommate how you have grown over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Since the game has changed owners three times, This would seem an odd question. This would be more like asking your college roommate how you have grown over the years.
    Yes, but from what I've heard, some of those on the current VI team, have been in the game's development from the start. Now, I'm sure each of them has their own version of what Istaria -should- be, but still.....

I'm thinking this is a yes and no type answer. From what I have heard the original designer left supposedly because Horizons went in a different direction than what he wanted so if you look at it from a original Horizons perspective the answer is probably no. If however if you look at it from VI's Istaria perspective since taking ownership the answer could be yes since they have been busy fixing the game and taking it through its evolutionary process. Only VI developers can answer that though.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Let's count it up, shall we?

1. Atari Years (Artifact Entertainment) pre-launch, David Allen at the helm.

2. Atari Years (Artifact Entertainment) pre-launch. There was a change of hands at the upper level of AE when the then flagging Horizons was given to David Bowman and David Allen was out.

3. Tulga Games was reorganized from Artifact Entertainment after Atari's withdrawal and AE went through bankruptcy reorganization. Chris Tumello was put in charge. David Bowman was still involved in the programming and design end.

4. Entertainment Interactive was slipped the programming rights by one of the financial backers of the game. All AE/Tulga personnel were dropped. At several points in time, members of the AE/Tulga staff were brought in on a consultant basis to "fix" the game operation and maintenance (server shutdown and reboot).

5. Pixel Magic Entertainment was reorganized from EI to cover legal issues. The same seven people of EI were in charge.

6. New Game World was reorganized from PME to cover legal issues. The same seven people of PME were in charge.

7. Virtrium LLC was created by staff from Tulga and the rights to Horizons were reacquired.

Amon, do I have the timeline right here? Because, as I recall, you were part of the launch-time Artifact Entertainment (I wasn't around pre-launch due to my computer not meeting basic reqs for the beta) and still a much-loved member of the development team now. I am certain that Rick and Reyem were definitely in the Tulga era and Velea had started about the time of the EI takeover. LaughingOtter and Solitaire are holdovers from late AE I'm sure because I remember them on Tazoon.com. Did you guys ever let Steelclaw be more than an intern?

I know, I'm missing a ton of people in this. Smeglor, Illyist, Baela, Rawdge, Zideon, Menkure, Peaches, and so many others both in-forum and out-of-forum contributed in artwork, sound, overlays, resources, coding, proofing, testing on Genesis, etc.

And let us not, dear friends, forget our dear friends, the players! Back during the developer chats on the shards, some very important steps were made in the progress of the game. Libraries happen to have been a player-suggested structure. The arena was developed due to a question at one of these chats. It's important to know that our feedback on the playing end has contributed to the overall development.

So, with all this longwinded happiness reflection I've done, I have to ask you, the player, Is Istaria where you want it to be? Where would you like it to develop from here? There's a suggestions section of the forums. By all means, offer suggestions. Istaria can't exist without developers, that's for sure. But the flip side of the same coin is it can't exist without players as well. There is a piece of Istaria each person contributes, and those contributions make the whole of the game better for everyone.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Great post C`gan!! Thank you

And yes I`m satisfied with how the game is going.
    Same with Flame (who tried more other games than I did).
    For many reasons.
    Otherwise we would not have stayed here for more than 6 years without a break.
    Just to name 2: (above all: community) endgame content, and that the chars are no clones, that we have the possibility to be kinda unique.

What I really miss is WA attacs (randomly), though I understood why its not possible atm.
    (Why dont`t let our bosses walk into the nearby cities? Just let them walk around there- and lets see what happens )
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    ... and Solitaire are holdovers from late AE I'm sure because I remember them on Tazoon.com....
    Small correction concerning just myself. I was a player only from beta until the days after Virtrium came on the scene. I "switched schools" after that to join the art team.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    Great post C`gan!! Thank you

What I really miss is WA attacs (randomly), though I understood why its not possible atm.
    Why is that?

Last I remember them stating, it was somethign about being too much work for the current population of devs as well as the QQ that would result from the damaged stuff that use to get all damaged from the WA attacks..and the inability to port places (when the WA is in control...)

Something like that...
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

QQ, let them whine. gives us older players something to do! or atleast give the players novians when they're stuff gets destroyed. i don't think this community currently is as tight-knit as it was 4 years ago...

also, i hated EII/Pixel magic era. it was so dead back then, and the community still hasn't recovered fully from it. nearly killed the game.

Most players that are here (I just returned after many years being absent - merge times)... are here to have a new experience...

that being said... I loved the damage..I loved having to rebuild... why? because it was more realistic!... if we dont defend..we ahve to build stuff... if we cant port because they own the area...then get together and go push them back...

as for the devs...and their time... to me, it seems that this would be a fun thing...once a week?? or a few times a month.... what else is there to work on? do you want to bring more players in? if not then continue doing what you are doing...but to bring more players back... WA attacks...etc...

The need for a community to regroup and rebuild was what made this game fun/new/interesting...

I played WoW since the start and had to stop... when a game gets to easy because of the QQing... then its over...

so far this game ahs not been over simplified... its complex etc... having the attacks..the damage etc will make this game unique... JUST DONT cave to the QQers...

I have brought in a new player and will be bringing my family back... I can probably get several others to come over... but most will not stay if its just go kill x etc... having the events etc will bring them over and have them stay... many are crafters as well... and having to rebuild etc will allow them to have a purpose....

ok thats all I have for now... so far I am enjoying being back... would love to have the old horizons come back a bit as well

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

and most welcome home, arch!!!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

What a QQ?

Sleel

Cool Re: To the Power that Be

Quote Originally Posted by Sleel View Post
    What a QQ?

Sleel
    QQ is a pictorial representation (like a smiley face, for example); it's not an abbreviation. I believe it represents two big eyes with tears coming out at the bottom. I.e., a QQer would be someone crying about something.

HTH,
    Sent
    N.B.: I reserve the right to be wrong and exercise it frequently.
    AzureFire - Spiritist - Chaos
    Glormf Sulfurous - Hatchie - Chaos
    Ruddy Bloke - Reaver - Chaos

Thread Information