Thread: In/Out of Combat indicator.

Default In/Out of Combat indicator.

The game can already sense whether or not the player is "In Combat" -- Road Bonus does not work while the player is in battle with any mob (even if a mob merely aggro'd).

So the detection of "Combat" or whether or not a mob has aggro on you is already in-game right now, right?

Is there a reason we couldn't have some sort of indicator on-screen (of course, give us an option to turn it off should the player not desire to see it)?

Currently, in game right now, the only way to tell if something aggro'd you, is whether or not you got road bonus. This is all fine and dandy, if you're actually on a road which you aren't always on a road.

Sometimes, if I'm walking across an open plain, it is nice to know when something that just popped behind me is chasing me to attack me. There's currently no indicator until I actually get hit with an attack that something is attacking me. It'd be nice if I had more of a prior warning than that.

Also, it is nice to know when I exit combat. If I'm running away from a battle, it is nice to know when it is safe to stop and cast a heal, and turn around to prepare another pull attempt.

Default Re: In/Out of Combat indicator.

Yes please.

Oh, I'd love this. I can't tell you how many times I'm just minding my own business when a particularly powerful mob (with the eyes of a hawk no less) decides to come after me from some ridiculous distance and I only find out after it's depleted my life down to 10HP.

Having some sort of indicator that says "Warning, *insert enemy name here* has spotted you and is preparing an attack!" would save me worlds of pain and difficulty. Having an in-combat/out-of-combat notice would also be quite helpful.
    Chaos: Gael Tycarren--Dragon
    "I just... want to remember."

I know other games do it with an Icon attached to your player character display box. Or some other type of indicator that turns off/on when you enter/exit combat - included as part of your player character display (I'm referring to the box that has your health/mana information displayed).

Or a simple text message on your combat window "You have entered combat!" and "You have exited combat".

Personally, sometimes I find out because the music changes to combat music - and I know I'm out of combat because the music changes back =)
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    I know other games do it with an Icon attached to your player character display box. Or some other type of indicator that turns off/on when you enter/exit combat - included as part of your player character display (I'm referring to the box that has your health/mana information displayed).

Or a simple text message on your combat window "You have entered combat!" and "You have exited combat".

Personally, sometimes I find out because the music changes to combat music - and I know I'm out of combat because the music changes back =)
    Music would be a good indicator, except in Istaria, battle music only plays while you're in Auto-Attack mode. Spell repeaters don't count; you have to have Physical/Ranged Auto-Attack engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Music would be a good indicator, except in Istaria, battle music only plays while you're in Auto-Attack mode. Spell repeaters don't count; you have to have Physical/Ranged Auto-Attack engaged.
    Are you sure spell repeaters don't count? They use to for me, but I don't actually play with the combat music on anymore.

So does the combat music play for others when using (repeating) spells?

As for the original suggestion, +1 vote from me. As a side note, I don't think you can sit down in combat, so in the mean time you could try that.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Thread Information