Thread: Istaria and nVidia 3D Vision

Default Istaria and nVidia 3D Vision

Although not supported, neither by Virtrium, nor by nVidia itself, Istaria works quite well with nVidia 3D vision.

Recommended settings inside nVidia 3D vision:
    • Set Depth percentage to minimum (5%), higher value is possible, but results in a rather unnoticeable difference together with loss in pointing accuracy. Istaria doesn't need much 3D depth.

Recommended settings inside Istaria:
    • Maximize saturation to compensate the brightness loss of the shutter glasses.
    • Increase ingame and night time brightness if needed.

Noticeable things to mention:
    • The mouse pointer is a 2D object which results in loss of pointing accuracy, meaning the center between both imagery counts for pointing. You may have to squint and target between 2 visually doubled mouse pointers (as if you were drunk). This can be compensated with a minimized depth percentage (see above).
    • The sky is rendered at wrong depth which results in a noticeable error on nighttime, as the stars appear to be in front of the clouds.
    • Close Istaria before deactivating 3D vision, otherwise your camera will start to shake around horizontally.

Default Re: Istaria and nVidia 3D Vision

Indeed I used to run Istaria with e-dimensional 3d glasses and an nvidia geforce 4400 a good few years back (nvidia had driver support for them). I still have the glasses ... I got some new batteries, only to find that nvidia have removed the support for these glasses. Presumably this is to force me to buy some of theirs?

Considering the cost of the e-dimensional ones, and the fact that Nvidia want even *more* money for the same technology, I'm pretty disgusted with them really. I wonder how much difference there is between how the two work...

If there's a way to force the 3dvision driver to work with e-dimensional's hardware, I'd absolutely love to hear it. I have an old 19-inch crt to use with them.

Rakku

the e-dimensional 3D glasses are not from nVidia and they are not fully intended for 120 Hz TFT displays. Those may share the same technology (active shutter glasses) introduced by nVidia, however, they are not compatible to nVidia 3D Vision as they are made by a different manufacturer.

Those you mentioned also use a separate driver which is not included into nVidia's ones.
    Your best bet is to purchase a driver upgrade from E-D for further compatibility.

Summary: So to speak, nVidia's solution is the more cheap and secure one as the 3D Vision drivers are included with each new GeForce driver, for free, while a driver upgrade for E-D's solution costs you an additional USD 50.

See also: http://www.edimensional.com/product_...products_id=28
    Last edited by Ettanin; February 21st, 2011 at 09:27 PM.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22829 You might want to check out this thread, I did experiments a while back with the Nvidia 3d and Istaria, works wonderfully!

Quote Originally Posted by Starstilanxs View Post
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22829 You might want to check out this thread, I did experiments a while back with the Nvidia 3d and Istaria, works wonderfully!
    Yeah I know nvidia didn't make my glasses... edimensional did. Nvidia didn't make anything like this when I bought mine. Their drivers had integrated support back then. It has since been removed, presumably when they started making their own version, so now I'm left with a dead herring.

I have an old crt monitor to use mine with. There is no reason they wouldn't work with a suitable flat-panel, if it used a vga connector. However my panel can't do the required refresh rate, or response time, so I can't use it.

There is a trial of the Tridef software. Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that before.

I'll keep my claws crossed. Istaria did look awesome in 3d...

Rakku

Thread Information