Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Talk to the Team: Valorynx Icon Pack

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Valorynx Icon Pack

After having installed the icon pack in question I found a new joy in the game ;) The initial learning curve of remembering what is now what was fun :) For those who haven't got it, many of the icons are very similar but with more colour (OT: I'm aussie, so that 'u' is meant to be there :P). Many of the missing one's have been updated and are very, very nice indeed (Dragon ones mostly). I would of course support this, but in the interests of others, would it be simpler to have it as an option? Much like the UI colours are an option (emerald, ruby, etc.).

(I personally have little doubt it could be made an option, but effort vs. reward might make it easier to leave it as a mod unfortunately.)

Thank you very much for considering this awesome icon pack!!
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Quote Originally Posted by BrightCat View Post
    I personally prefer the default icons. If they are wanted, they should be added as an option, not default. There should be an option that players can choose what they want like we can with the user interfaces.
    Make Val's the default, make the old ones a downloadable mod option, or if its not too much trouble, a checkbox in the settings. But I would default to Val's.

If you use the old ones, you are in fact already using some of Val's icons. All the newly added abilities I'm pretty sure Val made. When they finally made seperate breath attack icons, those are val's for example. They are more plain and generic looking tho. 2 tone colors typically.

As far as switching everyone's UI icons automatically, that might be more trouble to code that its worth. Its pretty easy to just drag the icons to the hotkey bars on top the old ones.

I would suggest for the alternate icon options, both the old and new ones be all combined (more choices). I'm talking about when you customize a button, then hit the lower left icon button to see the available choices. More here would be nice.

Forgive my ignorance. Isn't that Icon Pack designed with
    Dragons in mind?

*shrugs* Icons is Icons. So long as the change doesn't
    make me have to reset every hotkey on every character....

Andaras

Quote Originally Posted by Andaras View Post
    Forgive my ignorance. Isn't that Icon Pack designed with
    Dragons in mind?
    Andaras
    It was originally, many many moons ago, since there were so many dragon abilities missing icons (other than the pretty 'snowflake'). Now, alot spells have been spruced up as well as many of the biped abilites.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Default This

Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    Unfortunately, I have never used Valornyx icons so I wouldn't want to comment on that.

Just a suggestion, but maybe the bar configuration could be tied to the current school. When you switch, the hotkey bars would be restored to the way they were set up the last time you were in that school.
    I just want to second this. I would be able to give more of an answer about the icons if you included some screen shots so I could see what they looked like.
    "Nothing Is Never Not... everything is never."-Vacuus, Lord of Nothing

There is a lot of work in these icons, but I greatly prefer the less flashy default ones. So I'd prefer to not change.
    Of course, if we can choose an icon pack as we can already do with interfaces I'm all for it then everyone is happy.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Here is a good sampling of Val's icons:

The crafting bars 5, 6, and 7 aren't normally there, but lets you see new ability and formula icons. Blue are crafting abilities, black are formulas. bank 7 button one is Essence Harvesting, button 2 is Essence Shaping, followed by orb, tainted orb, blighted orb. Bank 10 button 4 is my loot icon, button 5 is enemy spotted group chat. Tried to get most of the rest by showing my ability windows for both adventure and crafting. You will notice there's even new icons for the wishgiver passive abilities, and the dragon passive abilities like Lairshaping mastery :)

The Crafting skill buttons come in both a light blue and a red version. I think the red one is the default.

Many many biped abilities and spells are also re-done in new nicer icons:
    Healer/Druid/Spiritist/Shaman:

Bank 8 gifts and enhances, Bank 6 heals, Bank 3 spirit spells, Bank 5 Nature spells, a few blights spells on bank 1, bank 2 melee abilities.
    Chest icons and the Shield (Bank 1 button 2) are not val's icons (I used a ceremonial shield for Employ Shield, Chests are different armor sets)
    Last edited by Guaran; March 7th, 2011 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    A point of clarification (which also may help with the "wishing for more wishes" that some have done).

With the suggestion to be able to have a group of hotkey bars for a particular school, what I am understanding is that you would like a command (/load hotkey setup druid, for example), that would automatically load a saved set of 100 hotkeys (10 bars, 10 slots each). Later in the day when you switch to playing your warrior as primary, you could type /load hotkey setup warrior, which would then load a different set up of bars. (Overlap would depend on how you set up each "set" initially).

If this is not correct as to what is being asked for, someone please clarify. That I see as a new feature, not a "wish for more hotkey bars.

yes to Valorynx Icon Pack and a BIG BIG yes to /load hotkey setup.

Also not exactly a hotkey feature but one to not need to use hotkeys, fix the dragons create item screen button to auto cast proper skill needed to craft to work like does for bipeds equip proper tool. Then dragons wouldn't need to use up hotkeys for crafting abilities.

Thanks Guaran for the pictures. I can see I remembered well.

I really would like to keep the old icons.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Sorry for the diversion of the topic, but I saw a need I could address in a one-off post.

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    Also not exactly a hotkey feature but one to not need to use hotkeys, fix the dragons create item screen button to auto cast proper skill needed to craft to work like does for bipeds equip proper tool. Then dragons wouldn't need to use up hotkeys for crafting abilities.
    Smaug,

I set up three bars for dragon crafting:
    1: Quarrying skill + Gather
    2: Stoneshaping skill + open Stone Bricks formula
    3: Gemworking skill + open Cut Gems formula
    4: Gemworking skill + open Tricut Gems formula
    5: Crystalshaping skill + open Focused Crystals formula
    6: Mining skill + Gather
    7: Smelting skill + open Metal Bars formula
    8: Essence Harvesting + Gather
    9: Essence Shaping + Essence Orb formula
    10: Spellcraft + Spell Shards formula

1: Scalecrafting + open Knowledge Window
    2: Spell Crafting + open Knowledge Window
    3: Stoneworking + Imbued Bricks formula
    4: Smelting + Engravings formula
    5: Smelting + Laminates formula
    6: Essence Shaping + Energized Azulyte formula
    7: Scalecraft + Flying Cargo Disk formula
    8: Ingenuity
    9: Toggle Cargo Disk (equip/unequip)
    10: Toggle Cargo Disk Attachment

1: Lairshaping
    2: Lairshaping + Excoriations formula
    3: Lairshaping + Imbued Bricks formula
    4: Lairshaping + Primal Essence formula
    5: Stoneworking + Cast Stones formula
    6: Smelting + Lodestones formula
    7: Lairshaping + Flowstones formula
    8: Lairshaping + Maelstones formula
    9: Lairshaping + Crystalline Lattices formula
    10: Recall

That takes care of having the right skill up.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i love val's work and would love to have them as an option, but only as an option - i, on the whole, dislike having no choice in teh matter....

and i have always wanted more hot key bars.....vel, for one, def does not have enough for all her needs....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I'm neutral on the icons as there's good reason to use either. The current oldies are nicely subdued and coordinated. I'm quite happy with them, the occasional odd icon aside. (And this as someone who can't get enough color in their video games!) On the other hand the Val icons are much brighter and less confusing in some ways, which can be a draw depending on your wants/needs. Whatever you do I would very heavily recommend either making both sets an option-- at minimum, if you replaced the "oldies," make sure there's somewhere easy to find to download them from for reinstall.

An easier way to toggle between hotbar configurations is absolutely critical. Personally it'd remove a lot of my yearning for more hotkeys if I could simply swap configurations at will-- even on my dragon, it'd be nice to have a crafting and an adventuring set-up, as opposed to warring between "more face-eating" and "more avoiding my knowledge book!"

1) I just would like to point out - the old players might want to keep the old ones.. but the new players are very important as well! To present them dull, old, cob-webbed icons while they may have picked up habits from other MMO's where flashy is the "cool" it might be better to put Val's icons as default and have the old ones available as mod/option tick.

This way, you will make the game more approachable for new players while the old ones, who are certainly skilled in it may revert back to original at their convenience.

2) Again, as the fashion goes, having such an option to switch whole keybind setup at a load command/switch whatnot to a new one on class change is a very convenient.

-TGD

This old computer illiterate gamer runs Istaria with no mods at all. Seems like my husband did play around with some different icons years ago and to me they were too flashy, same as I found his map pack playing around way too cluttered for my taste. I want to see the game, not the ui. I don't even like the color theme options we have in game now, they make my eyes hurt if I load them up. Though I know many players enjoy those options.

My long standing wish in regards to hot bars/icons was simply 2 more hot bar banks please. And please no multiple snowflakes for different hot keys (meaning a generic snowflake being used for multiple spells/abilities). I play a dragon primarily and my bipeds are lower level and not multi classed to speak of. I can see where the biped players might be wishing for different school hot bar bank setups.

If you do go with the new icons, please make them something you switch on in the options or able to revert to original icons in options.

Dracaena

PS Make the gliding check box in options on by default for new players. Can't tell you how many hatchlings I've had to walk through that.

Thread Information