Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk to the Team: Teleporters and Gates

Default Talk to the Team: Teleporters and Gates

Quite a few months ago now, a proposal for a completely revamped portal system was presented and discussed on these forums. That revamp was just that, a complete overhaul of the current portal system. It proved both confusing and convoluted, and was determined after a few weeks of discussion to not be a good change, so any changes to the portal system were shelved for a time.

During the ensuing months as we’ve talked to and played Istaria, though, the inconsistencies and oddities of the portal system have continued to be a thorn in our side and a frequent topic of conversation. And while a complete revamp of the system is still not a project we are looking to undertake, we have considered some focused changes and modifications to the existing structure that would bring more consistency and logic to the portal system.

One of the questions from that other thread was that many players asked, “Why now?” for this, and before I present the proposal, I want to let you know the reason “why now”. Some of it is because as we’re playing, the strange things like “I can port from Bristugo to some settlements, but I can’t get back?” really annoy us as players. The other, is that as a development team, we try to focus on one aspect of the game as a whole at a time. For the Spring Update, we’re at new additions to plots and ways to improve the plot/lair building system overall. One of the greatest ways to change/impact plot building time is to make changes to transporting of materials, and as such, looking at the portal system and making some simple changes that could have a large impact fit well with the Spring Update.

The changes we are considering presently are as follows:
    • Divide existing teleport pads into 9 primary groups (there would be more than just 8 for unique locations such as the Pool of Teeth and The Rift, these pads and gates would not change)

Bristugo
    Racial Cities
    Genevia
    Guild Towns
    Saritova
    Scorpion Island
    Shepherd's Home
    Settlements
    Trandalar
    • Related to this grouping would be to add New Rachival to “Racial Cities”. (Tazoon would remain it’s own special entity). Blizzard’s Reach, Dikaina, Grayling, Harro, Last Stand, Lerena, Lower Bridgeview, Morathaven, Morning Light, Parsinia, Selen and Winter’s Peak would all officially be classified as Settlements.
    • Guild communities which are not already part of the “guild” group would be added to the appropriate group.

In addition to the changes to teleport pads, we would change how some gates work in order to bring greater consistency.

• Bristugo would have gates to

Scorpion Island
    Genevia
    Shepherd’s Home
    Guild Towns
    Saritova
    Settlements
    Racial Cities
    (all the various miscellaneous locations it presently goes to)
    • Gates would take you to other locations within their “set”, Bristugo and Racial Cities (for example, settlements would take you to other settlements, Bristugo and Racial Cities).
    • Racial Cities would continue to take you to Trandalar, but you would also be able to port from Trandalar back to Bristugo and the Racial Cities group
    • Guild gates, which sometimes presently take you to Settlements, would no longer do so. Likewise Settlements would not take you to Guild Towns. Scorpion Island and Genevia also would no longer connect directly to Guild Towns.

We realize that this will impact some existing gates more than others and so are looking for feedback on how players feel this would change their normal gameplay. This is a bit more of an open ended discussion than we usually have for “Talk to the Team” threads, but we would ask that you do keep your posts on topic.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Teleporters and Gates

And where would Abandoned Island fit in on your plan? I notice it's absent in the discussion. Granted, there's the unattuned portal on Scorpion Island, but I've found that having the racials on AI is a quick and free pair of teleports.

One thing that does concern me is the hindrance to get to and from both Scorpion and Genevia Islands. Currently, one must go to Bristugo to effectively access them. Will they be more accessible elsewhere as well?
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

AI and other such locations fall under the "misc ports that won't be changed" category.

It seems possible that there would be less concern/controversy about either present system or a modified one if there would be introduced a Bristugo Travel Scroll with a reasonable cost and a 15-20 minute reuse permitted.

Knossos

From what I understand, this looks to be the overall adding more port destinations. I would love it if destinations led to their own group.

There are a few things I am curious about:
    Will Parsinia finally be added to Kion?
    Is the only way to get to Genevia and SI still Bris then?

I usually use Mahagra's gate to get around running through T2 baddies: the need for Bristugo.
    It can lead me anywhere. The settlement Baker for example can get me to guild locations and Winter's Peak. As such, I would like to see one racial gate (Like how Mahagra is currently) that still supports "settlements" or "guilds".

Where would Delgarath sit? I personally don't like the fact its not accessible from Bristugo.

Why is Saritova portal set not in the Guild portal set? Saritova Island is solely guild sites.

I don't like the idea of splitting Guild sites and Settlements apart (for most gates at present they are on the same gate). From a crafting point of view it would add an extra port to most journeys. (Example for t1-t3 essence it would be Sakon -> Bristugo -> Settlement under the new proposal, Harro is another one I can think of for T6/T5 Harro -> Bristugo -> Guild Site).

I don't like the idea of a portal revamp adding extra hops on a journey which would have previously been easier and cheaper.

Also the concept restricts new players from accessing the settlements and Guild sites unless they run the gauntlet and attune at Bristugo.

Are portal usage costs being reviewed? And what about the current 'free' portals?

What about locations that are missing portals out? IE Dalimond penisula (Heart or Slate Crescent has been suggested before, Deserts Edge + more I can't think of at the moment). Buildable portals would be an interesting world event and have a long lasting effect.

What about settlements that are missing in pads? (Snowfall, Glaciers, Rhiki, Mithrils Anvil to name a few)

What would happen with attunements? Are they being changed?

Pick up on what C'Gan said Genevia Island is T1, but under new proposal is not accessible until a player reaches a T2 portal (Bristugo)

Parsinia should be switched from a settlement to a Racial city (and added to New Trismus Gate)
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Mostly it does not seem too different to me from what we have now with the primary exception of an extra port to get back to guild towns from craft areas. If you are going to further isolate the guild islands, can we at least get some significant construction resource deposits on our islands?

Indeed the developed Guild towns need some love - and Portals too...

Knossos

Quote Originally Posted by Amarie Ancalimon View Post
    Guild gates, which sometimes presently take you to Settlements, would no longer do so. Likewise Settlements would not take you to Guild Towns. Scorpion Island and Genevia also would no longer connect directly to Guild Towns.
    I dont like this at all, we like our guild portal for the very reason that it goes to the mainland settlements, is why we've been in the same place since merge. I also like that some settlement towns (last stand) are crossover portals that take you off the settlement circuit and put you on the guild circuit, and vice versa. Once you learn those crossover ports, its not a big deal. my big beef is that last stand lacks a connection to bristugo.
    Last edited by Trust; March 4th, 2011 at 02:43 AM.
    Tempus fugit, memento mori.

I'm comfortable with the existing gate system. If I'd make any switches, I'd add a few destinations to some gates...but I wouldn't try to redesign the entire system.

Some areas could use a pad, but communities that are side by side don't necessarily need to have their own pad.

More gates though, definitely. Maybe even a biped one to Dracul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

I would have to see a map of this to fully understand it but it sounds not that great i could be wrong
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

I don't think it's realy needed. If anything I would add a few destantions to some places.

Then set up some world crafting with some new pads/gates were they have been requested.
    Nothing But Love! That's what makes Dragons Fly!

Re-grouping the gates could ultimately work out well, it's just how much time it will take to get from one grouped gate to the next may take that will be a strong deciding factor. I still personally feel that setting up an area specifically to act as a hub will compliment a re-grouped portal system well. This will allow heavy traffic to run through an area that's doesn't require loading up the surrounding plots of Bristugo each time.

Also, getting from almost anywhere to almost anywhere else will require no more than 2 ports. Settlement -> Hub -> Guild Area -> Hub -> Main City -> Hub -> Misc. etc. etc.

My understanding is that every gate (except the special ones like scorpions tail to abandoned island, or aroah's leap to werewolf island) will have bristugo and the racial cities added to them if they are not already there. The racial cities will all have the Trandalar group, and Bristugo will have all the other groups. So from anywhere to anywhere will take at most two ports (again, other than the special dedicated ports).

If you are going from one type of place to the same type of place (guild island chain to guild island chain, saritova guild plot to saritova guild plot, settlement to settlement), or to a racial city, then its a single hop.

This seems like a much lower learning curve for those new to the game or returning to the game after taking a sabbatical.

I say go for it.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

Flame and me support what Chasing and Creme said.

But I see only vets answer here (until now).

We need more input from newer players- what do they think?
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

I'm not sure how this would affect me...I'm sure it will just not sure how it will at the present time.

this is my teleporting nightmare right now:

My daughters lair is inbetween Kion and Par

The T2 resources I need in the safest spot are in Mahgeria(sp).

The Guild Silos are in South March

I think you can see the headache.

Not going to make everyone happy on this. I'd have to see what the configuration looks like before I could say.

My 2c would be to make the portals mostly tiered. (Mostly for the mainland)
    For the purpose of my following example some minor explanation.
    Capitals = Racial Towns
    Player Towns = Only the player towns that are present in the tiered area to which the Racial town / Capital belongs

Specials
    Guild Towns = Available only from the portals at the Bristugo Hub.
    Drakul gate, Kir’Ignat, Draak = Only available from Dralk and Chiconis
    Genevia, Scorpions Island, Abandoned Island = Available from Bristugo and any T2 Capital (Dalimond or Chiconis)

How I would like to see the gates.

Capital
    1. Capitals (of other tiers)
    2. Bristugo (due to portal hub)
    3. Tazoon (supposed main Capital of Istaria mainland)
    4. New Trimus
    5. Player Towns.
    6. Special locations

Player Towns
    1. Tiered Capitals.
    2. Tiered Player towns.

Example for Tier 1:
    Kion:
    1. Sslanis, Dalimond, Chiconis, Mahagra, Kirasanct, Dralk, Feledan, New Rachival, Aughundel.
    2. Bristugo
    3. Tazoon Center (remove south gate)
    4. New Trimus
    5. Parsinia, Lower Bridgeview.

Sslanis:
    1. Kion, Dalimond, Chiconis, Mahagra, Kirasanct, Dralk, Feledan, New Rachival, Aughundel.
    2. Bristugo
    3. Tazoon Center (remove south gate)
    4. New Trimus
    5. Parsinia, Lower Bridgeview.

Parsinia:
    1. Kion, Sslanis
    2. Lower Bridgeview

In theory the player communities could be available from Bristugo Portals as well, just like Guild Communities could be available from the tiered capital. (example Saritova from Aughundel and Sakon from T2 or T3 Racial towns)

Bristugo portal hub does not have to change, but the destinations on the Racial towns and player towns should as far as I am hoping. It could be considered logical especially when newbies want to visit Parsinia after attuning and leaving they can use the portal in either Sslanis or Kion instead of having to walk the long walk or go to Bristugo first.

While I am aware that most if not all players are against me on this I just wanted to add my suggestion to the thread.
    Maybe it could be possible to lower the cost of using the portals in the case that the people are required to take more trips.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

I'm with the group to add destinations to some of the existing portals, such as Parsinia being added to Kion and Sslanis, and as mentioned, Bristugo added to Trandalar gates.

I'm against removing/realigning the Settlement gates purely for selfish reasons, as my wife and I recently moved to Heather and have built up the 2 plots directly between the landing pad and gate. We moved there because of the ease of access to racial towns, many guild locations and settlements without having to deal with multiple ports (mainly Bristugo). As I said, it's purely selfish reasoning, but it's also why we chose that location to call home.
    I never met a gnome I didn't like. For tender morsels they are!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Elders and wise

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found, as suits the seeker.

No doubt it will be an evil thing in the ears of some, the thing I ponder. But such is the nature of all things, that some find them evil <G>. And what might this evil thing be? Well and all - that no thing is perfect, and that a stone of flight might also be... imperfect.

What if it were, since no thing is perfect, that as one entered a stone of flight, to seek some place sought, the stone might function ill? That by some roll of the dice, ye did not come to the landing stone chosen, but some other stone, set and marked by chance's hand? or, and this more, mayhap not at some landing stone at all, but simply to be set foot to some place dictated by chance entire? And then from there to have to find thy path to some place know, mayhap through trial and fire and foe...

Yes, there would be peril and ill and frustration in this. But yes, there might be for those old some unbidden chance to see some place long not visited, or ever. For those younger, to come to some place never seen or known. Aye, if that place be peril, then there may be death. and thus the thing might be an ill thing indeed, and to be set far from any god's mind. But then, so should much else this Fool speaks, for the words of a Fool are but those Foolish... <G>.

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found, as suits the seeker.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

Thread Information