Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifespans?

Default Lifespans?

I've been wondering for some time now...
    Is there any lore about how long the different races actually live? I have been unable to find anything about it...and honestly I do not believe that measuring age by saying "the equivalent of x in human years" is adequate. I understand that supposedly the player is gifted and thus age is rather a non-issue...

but there ARE those who roleplay their character as being a non-gifted individual. And besides that it would be helpful when developing a backstory, whether gifted or not. After all, even the gifted weren't always so, right?

How long does, say, a saris live? A dryad? An elf or dwarf?
    What of the Sslik and half-giants? And the others? Furthermore, when do they reach maturity? Does this lore even exist?

Another interesting tidbit, though I suppose of no actual use, would be how long dragons lived before they lost the ability to age with the fall of the Sleeper?

Actually, come to that, do they have a lifespan now? The non-gifted ones? O.o

Default Re: Lifespans?

I actually asked this of the devs recently and got this answer:
    What are the general life expectancies of the various races?
    Present Day? Immortal. Before? Humans, Half-Giants, Saris, and Sslik 60 to 100 years. Elves, Dwarves, Dryad, Gnomes, Satyr 200 to 250 years. Dragons, many hundreds.

I do not know if "immortal" means that everyone in the living races becomes gifted when they die, or just that only gifted rate notice. It's also not clear to me if there are still children born among the living races.
    Last edited by awdz; May 28th, 2011 at 05:05 PM.

Hmm. thanks awdz.

...however, that doesn't seem like a very good answer.

They can't be immortal... the gift is SUPPOSED to be -rare-. And besides that, aren't they supposed to 'fade' eventually? the gifted? Making even them not immortal; only un-killable.

I also cannot imagine that out of 10 different races, there are only 3 different life expectancies. Why should humans, saris, half giants, and sslik all have exactly the same lifespans? that makes no sense at all...

And what's with dragons being 'many hundreds'? D: Three hundred? Six hundred? One thousand seven hundred? What're we talkin' here?

....it would be greatly appreciated if the Devs could shed some light on this.

...some -additional- light..?
    *sighs* I would think this to be the sort of thing that is the FIRST thing one does when they make up races for a game. Granted, virtrium didn't have the game since the very start... so.. At any rate, there are a lot of similar gaps in the lore. I guess lore generation probably got shunted to a backseat, what with the game having as rough a history as it has. Or so it would seem from where I'm sitting.

wow, I guessed elves being around 250...:B I was right...fancy that LOL
    "State your case, but do it well. I do not suffer fools gladly." ~Sereamha Balla-dor

Quote Originally Posted by Essra View Post
    And besides that, aren't they supposed to 'fade' eventually? the gifted? Making even them not immortal; only un-killable.
    I'm fairly sure Fading is player lore. Its primary use is to explain people who have quit the game. I have never seen Fading mentioned in any official lore.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Essra View Post
    They can't be immortal... the gift is SUPPOSED to be -rare-. And besides that, aren't they supposed to 'fade' eventually? the gifted? Making even them not immortal; only un-killable.
    Players are all immortal and have the Gift. So that isn't Rare for them. NPCs and the "unseen" population, it becomes murky and really not very relevant to official lore. NPCs are in awe of the Gifted and treat them as the Heroes players are. Otherwise, its not really addressed.

I also cannot imagine that out of 10 different races, there are only 3 different life expectancies. Why should humans, saris, half giants, and sslik all have exactly the same lifespans? that makes no sense at all...
    Its a fantasy world. It doesn't have to all make sense by our standards of realism. Besides, all players are Gifted so effectively immortal. Lifespan means nothing to them any longer.

And what's with dragons being 'many hundreds'? D: Three hundred? Six hundred? One thousand seven hundred? What're we talkin' here?
    You are right, it isn't defined. Not really any reason to nail it down. It serves no official purpose. If, at some point, it becomes needed for in-game lore as part of a quest or story, then we will define it. For now, many hundreds. Which means you can RP it however you like.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    You are right, it isn't defined. Not really any reason to nail it down. It serves no official purpose. If, at some point, it becomes needed for in-game lore as part of a quest or story, then we will define it. For now, many hundreds. Which means you can RP it however you like.
    D&D (3.0/3.5, don't know 4.0 sry) defines a lifespan of 2000 years to up to 4000 years, varying by race:
    Dragon growth according to D&D stops about at age 1200 and at about a thousand to 3000 years (Time varies by dragon 'sub'race) they start to feel the effects of death by old age*. Most dragons however avoid that so-called twilight by departing (releasing their spirit and eating their entire hoard), becoming a guardian (by becoming a natural landmark) or becoming a dracolich (an undead dragon, only evil dragons would do that).

*) Each year after the defined Twilight Year the dragon must roll a DC20 constitution check. Failure = Permanent death; Success = Live further, lose 1 Constitution point permanently.
    Source: Draconomicon D&D3.5

I'd rather assume that dragons for a fact are immortal and cannot die of old age because they are children of the realm of fire, an elemental plane. Being descendants of the fire element, it's imho doubtful that there's a time limit for the mind and body of dragons.
    However, i'd rather assume that they grow old with time, being more pain sensitive when their growth has stopped and if their pain grows too much to bear, they'd rather release their spirits to leave the world of istaria forever. Gifted ones continue to grow until they become ancient but won't feel the pain of old ages.

There's one natural problem with immortality, though, but i'd rather not discuss it, because it would be against the forum rules.

Besides, all players are Gifted so effectively immortal. Lifespan means nothing to them any longer.
    Except when roleplay involves discussion of non-Gifted family & friends, lifespans of the races does matter. It can be crucial to plot developments.

Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://community.istaria.com/forum/member.php?u=14295"
    Ettanin[/URL]]D&D (3.0/3.5, don't know 4.0 sry) defines a lifespan of 2000 years to up to 4000 years, varying by race:
    This is not official D&D. I had to remind myself of that because I was thinking dragons would be alive longer than "hundreds" implies to me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettanin View Post
    I'd rather assume that dragons for a fact are immortal and cannot die of old age because they are children of the realm of fire, an elemental plane. Being descendants of the fire element, it's imho doubtful that there's a time limit for the mind and body of dragons.
    Actually, Ettanin... fire is a very volatile but short-lived element. :P If they were truly an embodiment of fire, would they not live short and harried lives?

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    I'm fairly sure Fading is player lore. Its primary use is to explain people who have quit the game. I have never seen Fading mentioned in any official lore.
    Oh. Well I hadn't thought of that. You're probably right. :P

Players are all immortal and have the Gift. So that isn't Rare for them. NPCs and the "unseen" population, it becomes murky and really not very relevant to official lore. NPCs are in awe of the Gifted and treat them as the Heroes players are. Otherwise, its not really addressed.

Its a fantasy world. It doesn't have to all make sense by our standards of realism. Besides, all players are Gifted so effectively immortal. Lifespan means nothing to them any longer.

I'll be honest, Amon, I don't think that details like that are unimportant or irrelevant. Nonetheless, I appreciate the response. ^^

Well, you can always assume the lifespan by looking it real creatures and other stories:

Humans: 70 to 90 like in real life

Saris: Lions live 15 years in the wild. Cats have 9 lifes so 15x9=135 years

Sslik: Some Crocs live up to 70 years and considering the place Sslik live, that is a fair number to assume.

Dwarves: In WoW they reach 250 years, so why not?

Gnomes: Also in WoW they reach 200 years.

Elves: In Lord of the Rings they are immortal, so I believe it's safe to assume they can live 10.000 years in Istaria.

Dryad: No idea, 500 years maybe? Nobody plays Dryads anyway, except Awdz of course .

Satyr: sheep live about 14 years. That's short so I'd rather say 140 years.

Half Giants: I'd say shorter lives than humans, 60 to 80 years or so.

Fiends: As they used to be humans, I'd say 70 to 90

Finally Dragon: 10.000 maybe 100.000. Maybe even 1.000.000, who cares? Also, could it be that if dragons die, they turn into fire spirits again and become a new hatchling?

Here you have an idea. See if you do something with it.
    Last edited by stephan27; July 10th, 2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Grammar mistake
    Student in Machinima.
    Ryuko Dawnbreaker: lvl 34 adult.
    Comosal Dawnbreaker: lvl 14 hatchling

Quote Originally Posted by stephan27 View Post
    Also, could it be that if dragons die, they turn into fire spirits again and become a new hatchling?
    Funny. I mentioned something along these lines in my guild's chat yesterday (before even seeing this post). I said it would be hilarious if Primal Rebirth actually resurrected an ancient dragon, but made the ancient into a hatchling (since rebirth means a new or second birth: the rebirth of the soul).
    I never met a gnome I didn't like. For tender morsels they are!

Did some thinking on this subject and based on what I've seen in many books, I basically assume the following in regard to the races:

Humans would have life expectancies of 40-100 years. The wide range is dependent mostly upon their stations in society. A peasant/serf may only live 40 years due to a life of toil and hard labor to survive, where an aristocrat/noble may live much longer due to easier living conditions. There's too many variables. That's why there's such a large range.

Elves could live up to 1,200 years in some lore, and are still considered children until they reach 100 years old (which I choose to follow), but in others, they have the same lifespans as humans.

Dwarves and gnomes 200-300 years, in some lore, and same as humans in others. I tend to lean towards the longer years.

Half-giants are, basically, human, so it would seem reasonable for them to have the same lifespans as humans, but could vary depending if they have a higher, or lower constitution than humans.

Ssaris.. Again I would go on the premise of human life expectancies.

Sslik: 50-100 years.

Dryads: 1000+ years since they are the embodiment of magic and nature.

Satyr: 900-1000 years based on satyr character information showing they were created by the gods to be a "perfect race to act as their seed upon the Prime."

While this isn't part of game lore, I see dragons as immortal, short of being killed in battle. They are the first race created by the gods and are blessed with immortality, and are able to hibernate for eons. Although some stories represent them as mere monsters/non-sentient beasts with little intelligence, others show them as extremely intelligent. I tend towards the intelligent in most cases.

As far as my dragon, he was created on Jan 5, 2004 (20 AR according game time-line). But this was when he became Gifted. But, who's to say that he couldn't have been around during the "Age of Dawn" when Drulkar led his people from the Realm of Fire into the world of Istaria on the Prime 8,020 years ago (game time)?

What it comes down to is how you wish to play and represent your character. If someone tries to argue that your character can't possibly be that old, tell them that your character is an enigma, or received a special gift/curse, that prolonged it's life.
    I never met a gnome I didn't like. For tender morsels they are!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Draeconis View Post

What it comes down to is how you wish to play and represent your character. If someone tries to argue that your character can't possibly be that old, tell them that your character is an enigma, or received a special gift/curse, that prolonged it's life.

Elder and wise

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found, as suits the seeker.

There is the path of the Waking and the path of the Land. For what each Woken may believe, that is for each Woken. For what the Land believes? That is for the gods to speak.

When the tale that is Storm Rise was being set to parchment, there were many and many and many more of matters that had need of the gods' eyes and word ere they were set whole, for the matter was to be Land's Truth once it was so whole... .

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

I like the poetry, but I see it in a different light. The land may be subject to the gods, but I see it more as a canvas, and those who wake, its painters. A never-ending work in progress, whose rules and story are only loosely defined by a conglomerate of painters who may or may not even interact. Perhaps this is because of late I have found difficulty in appreciating art for art's sake; that which is not viewed is at best waiting like fossils to be dug up or, at worst, lives next to nonexistence.

My RP/Lore viewpoint aside, I think it's good that the numbers aren't terribly nailed down, and I would have expected a wider range to better reflect various conditions of living, as Draeconis mentioned. The devs have an idea of what it should be - that's more important than exact numbers.

And yes, player lore goes that Fading is what happens to players who leave, to explain how an 'immortal' Gifted can die. I can't say I was the first who made that up, but I might've been. >.>;
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaerisk View Post

And yes, player lore goes that Fading is what happens to players who leave, to explain how an 'immortal' Gifted can die. I can't say I was the first who made that up, but I might've been. >.>;

Kaerisk Wise One

Heh. The Lore of the Woken.

That which ye call the Fading? Once, and that time now long past, the Void Winds it was called. And other names?

Mayhap. Most like.

The Lore of the Woken be no thing of any single name, for it doth depend which Woken speak, and which candle burns when that speaking be spoken.

Or so I was taught .

My words be but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found, as suits the seeker.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

A sad truth, that. For even when I wake, I feel I am dreaming, for the world is so surreal and strange from the one I once knew. Those, my allies, my kyn, the faces of those I called family and friends, where have they gone? Faded? Void Winds? I suppose it doesn't matter what you call it; there are some things that supersede the waking, even the land itself.

Nonetheless, your whispers are always welcome, old friend.
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

I was and am offended by this response. Speechless for ten months.

It seems you weren't thinking very clearly about the implications of your words when you wrote that post, Amon. They suggest you don't understand roleplay and don't care about the roleplayers who contribute to your paycheck. It also seems you weren't thinking very clearly about lore in general, which is concerning when one considers you are a main source of additions and alterations to Istaria's lore.

Point by point:

Players are all immortal and have the Gift. So that isn't Rare for them.
    For players, no, the Gift isn't rare--by default we all play Gifted characters. But for those Gifted characters of ours, yes, it is still rare: though they probably don't associate informally with the Giftless very often, they would still be aware that they are a minority in the world.

NPCs and the "unseen" population, it becomes murky and really not very relevant to official lore.
    You are right, it isn't defined. Not really any reason to nail it down. It serves no official purpose.
    How is it not relevant? How does it serve no purpose? If you're thinking about lore at all you have to realize that it is in fact very relevant and useful. Lifespans would affect Istaria's cultures and therefore its entire history. Lifespan, reproduction method, biological and cultural factors surrounding transitions from childhood to adulthood: these are examples of vital context that (ought to) inform official lore development and usage as well as roleplaying.

Otherwise, its not really addressed.
    Why not fix that? You don't even have to do any work yourself. The community can discuss appropriate lifespans using our collective knowledge of lore and you can give our conclusions the Official™ stamp. We have a vested interest in arriving at genuinely sensible conclusions that are consistent with already-established information, so it's not as if we would foul it up in any way.

Besides, all players are Gifted so effectively immortal. Lifespan means nothing to them any longer.
    It means a lot to them. Some (or, realistically, many) Gifted characters would have Giftless family and may even (at first) have Giftless friends.
    The Gifted can anticipate watching every Giftless person they have ever known die. That can have an effect on a psyche.

If we didn't have any information about, say, the Gnome lifespan, we wouldn't know how long our Gifted Gnome character's mother might live.
    Another example: we have a very imprecise estimate of the dragon lifespan, so we don't really know how old our Gifted dragon character's parents could plausibly be (or have been), and that might have a big effect on what their parents experienced and therefore what biases they passed on to our character.

By the way, I notice that Fiends are missing from the info Awdz posted; is their lifespan the same as that of Humans or did Niatha Moraven change them in that way as well? Maybe they were given a longer lifespan to assist their revenge-plotting and enable them to accrue more knowledge and power within a single lifetime?

If, at some point, it becomes needed for in-game lore as part of a quest or story, then we will define it.
    So you'd bury it in an obscure quest dialog instead of making it readily available to roleplayers who are making a new character. Typical...

For now, many hundreds. Which means you can RP it however you like.
    Until you did suddenly someday feel like saying something more specific about it, at which point you would bury that specificity in an obscure quest dialog and let us be surprised when we find that the speculation you forced us to work with has been invalidated. We've already been waiting over eight years, but additional waiting only worsens the problem--it certainly doesn't improve it. My above proposal to crowdsource the specification of the dragon lifespan, along with any other lifespans that are somehow lacking, would be the best solution because any slack in one discussion-participating player's lore knowledge would be picked up by another's, ultimately only a few minutes of Virtrium's time would be taken, and the community would be more comfortable with invalidation of prior speculation when it is the result of a debate they can read and understand from beginning to end (not to mention the ample forewarning inherently included).

P.S. For those interested in roleplaying and lore development, this thread may be worth a read:
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=19777
    Last edited by Vaz; March 23rd, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

I'm in agreement with you, Xoshara. These sort of things are important to roleplayers, or at least, most roleplayers I've met. And even for those who don't roleplay, it still makes for very interesting discussions.

I myself have wondered what the lifespans of the different races might be, and how that affects their cultures and other aspects.

Another curiousity to me are the Gifteds' views on the passage of time depending on race, and how time's effect on their non-gifted friends/family/various-other-relations affects them.

And if gifted are truely "ageless" once they have the Gift, how does that affect the non-gifteds' veiws of them?

Are Gifted truely "ageless" once the Gift is "activated" by their first death?

Is that how the Gift works? Do its effects only appear after that first death? Do the Gifted continue to age before then? Do they actually stop ageing afterwards?

If a very young individual, like a child, dies and is "reborn" as Gifted, do they stop ageing and stay a child? For players, this only seems to happen to dragons as hatchlings, but then, how and why does that happen?

I'm sorry to say that I haven't read much of Istarian race lore, so if the answer is in there for my dragon question- than please feel free to let me know.

Also, there's still my question of what happens to the Gifteds' bodies when they die and recall:

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26068

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

I think what Amon is saying, and I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, is that as far as official lore goes, there's nothing established which answers these questions, so you are free to roleplay however you would.

Then again, having read some of the roleplays that happen on Order and Chaos, players don't always stick to officially established lore and will allow themselves that freedom too.

I'm sure he didn't intend to offend. We just give our players freedom to roleplay and use their own creativity.

Thread Information