Thread: Longing to Dance

Default Longing to Dance

Wind streams across the plates of blue scales covering his body, whistling here and there where signs of his age have left nicks and nacks. Two slitted red eyes peer down the bridge of his snout, using the horn at the tip like an archer would the tip of their arrow, to line up his sights. Hundreds of feet a way, a young undescript female humanoid figure sprints towards a cliff edge. Once there, she leaps, and he smiles. The dance has begun, a dance with so many moves he knows well, but are rarely the same. His heart leaps with excitement, as he gives chase.

With a simple gesture of his wings, the world turns upside down, letting the sun beat off the bluish white, tough leather scales on his underside. His wings brace before his spine arches, and he zips over the cliff’s edge in chase. He performs a spiral, and levels out with the woman maybe three or for lengths in front of him. She was close, he could see the wrinkles in her taught blouse and leather jerkins as she plummets. With her arms and legs spread wide, she falls slower than he. The two plummet toward the earth below, and he passes under her.

Though familiar, and his heart full of anticipation, it is this moment that he fears the most. The world rushes up to meet them both, and he can’t look back. His body streamlines through the air, that any movement on his part will alter his course. Trust, is of great importance. The leather straps about his chest tighten, and he can feel the saddle on his back tug lightly. She’s there, she’s seated. “Gotcha!” the sound faintly reaches the holes hidden behind the fins aside his cheeks. Knowing she is in place, slants his wings and arches once more, pulling up with such force that he lets the air in his lungs out in a horrific roar. The two are off, skirting the tops of trees and a few outcroppings of rock. Black birds fill the sky behind him, like pepper dashed into the winds.

Fulfillment and joy fill his very being, for while flight in itself is an amazing gift, it is nothing compared to sharing it with another trusted soul. Higher he rises with her hunkered down in the saddle upon his back. So bonded are the two, that he can feel her every shift in the leathery seat as to monitor her well being, and she can persuade him to move one way or another with a simple lean. Neither feel chained to the other. One being in the sky, but two very free souls.

The clouds glow with the sun’s warm rays, and the two dance between the fluffy pillars, working together to draw a graceful path through this heavenly terrain. The two share the sounds of whipping wind and thundering wings together, for to him, what feels like an eternity. Any worries that haunt his mind, now forgotten entirely.

“Chioxin!” Her distressed cry startles him.

The two plummet from the skies. Wings flail and flap this way and that, but all laws of physics have escaped him. Panic snaps his head this way and that in a futile attempt to reorientate the horizon in a way he’ll understand, in a way he can pull out of this unwanted predicament. She flashes before him several times in his downward spin, and every time he reaches out, retracts and expands his wings in ways his body memory knows should work to alter his course, nothing happens. His efforts are fruitless. Helplessly he watches the events unfold, and the world below grows larger and more detailed, until...

He awakes.

His head shoots up from his resting spot, breath gushes in and out of his lungs, and his eyes and snout dart about the world around him to take in his surroundings. The colors are all a blur, but soon he can make out the brown trunks and branches from the green bubbles, who's details crispen into leaves. They shake and dance, and his ears register the sounds of a forest breeze passing through, followed by its gentle caress over his body laying there between the trees. Just then, he can feel his talons dug into the cool earth and the smell of cut grass fills his nostrils. Everything is ok.

His breath stops when his eyes glance over the once ornate saddle laid out at the base of a very large tree. In that moment, he is certain his own heart stops as well. His head grows heavy, and sinks toward the earth, his neck laying in the cradle of his fore limbs before he comes to rest. A single breath fills his body, before he lets it out in one giant sigh.

Another breeze carries through the forest, and he closes his eyes pressing out a small stream down his cheek. It’s been some time since sharing such a gift, and so few are worthy of such thing. Time moves on, as do those who are gifted. This is just another painful reminder that the gift is not always a blessing though. At times, it is a curse.

Default Re: Longing to Dance

(( All i gotta say is bravo and this story is beautiful and heart wrentching :'( but extremely well written, i love the vivid imagery created. especially the cliff jumping and the black birds that fill the forest like pepper.... the ending though is very sad very sad indeed... but still well written and clever how 'the gift is not always a blessing at times its a curse' well said... i do hope you write more.))

[[ Thank you! I may write more stuff, I may not. These are just little blurbs of desires and wants, or little insights to why he is the way he is. Many will probably be on the subject of why the smaller races are important... and not just food. I don't know how things are now in game, but Chioxin was often reemed for his love of bipeds as more than just food stuffs ]]

Chioxin- its good to hear your voice again!

Its been a while
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

(( <understatement> Very nice so far. :] </understatement> ))
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

((I remember Chio and the Inn well!! And if the female is who I think it is in your story - I remember her well as well. Frith knows well Chio's love for the biped, even if she never did understand it.. . Ive mised Chio for years!! of course, now I will only be RPing here..)
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

[[ Thanks again, and ya Lovwyrm, it's certainly been a long while.

Hehe, Frith, it definitely isn't her. It's undescribed for a reason. I sort of want to find a person to fill that roll, if they're out there. He had it once, and lost it, and craves it still. This is just a dream.

In truth, it could be 2 people! There was an elf Chioxin tangoed with once before when he'd returned for a little bit. Not just that human! But he's certainly not against the idea. That person just needs to prove their worth for such a dance.

But yes, this is kinda me writing stuff. I love visuals, a lot, and dialog is rough to write. I may give it a whirl soon.

I read about your lost lair =( I'm really sad to hear that, and I certainly understand your reluctance to return for that reason. Apparently mine disappeared too, but I let it happen. I don't think I'll start that task again, ever... and Chioxin loves the homes of others. The architecture is spectacular to him! Compared to a cave. ]]

(So Chioxin has been crashing my lair! ;p

Good to see you around again, perhaps I'll pop my head up and see Chio all dusted off.)
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

*serves Chioxin an [Imperial Urn] full of klava presented with a towel and a curtsy*
    Welcome home! :-)

Thread Information