Thread: Beauty in Small Things

Default Beauty in Small Things

A shimmering blue behemoth of a dragon stands before another much smaller man. He gracefully seats himself on his haunches and coils that muscle of a tail about his side, listening intently to the other. The two exchange words while the man, Zarien, can’t help but always keep his eyes open for an exit. Chioxin, the dragon, can see this in him and it does amuse him on occasion. The topic dances from that of Bristugo, and vault spaces, to that of Chioxin’s hoard and how he loves not only shiny things, but useful components to craft a great many powerful items. However, as things always seem to go with dragons, the topic changes over to food.

“I don’t understand, I fall in battle and my soul is torn to a point it’s hard to rise at the shrines. All gifted know to eat food, and so, the dragon that I am, I go eat deer! The perfect food! Yet, it doesn’t seem to heal the soul quite like your small meals do.”

Zarien chuckles for a moment, “That’s because it’s not made with the secret ingredient.” He speaks as though Chioxin should know what he means, but the dragon’s head cants and a quizzical look takes shape on his prehistoric face.

“Tender... loving... care?” Zarien says plainly.

“What? Bah! Are the deer not made by the tender loving care of nature?”

“Well, of course, but I’m pretty sure as you come tearing out of the sky after them, the tender loving care gets squeezed right out!”

Chioxin grins with an array of teeth, “That makes them all the tastier actually. I can’t explain why, but there is a reason for the hunt other than just the catch.” His tongue slithers out of his mouth and cleans the right side of his muzzle. “You can’t scare them for to long or their meat goes bad, but just the right amount, and they’re delicious.”

The human shudders a little, and only nods. “Don’t you have pets or slaves that can make that food for you in the quantities you desire?”

The dragon huffs, “I do not have pets! Never would I have a pet! I’m not Helian and look to you as my servants and worshippers, nor am I Lunus and see you as only worthless and dinner.”

“You... really don’t?” the man stands taken aback. “I’ve... never met a dragon who sees my own kind that way. In fact, all of you seem to take that fateful day out in the deserts of Tazoon as an excuse to make servants and lunch of us.”

“Were you that man that started the events that would blight our world?” The man shakes his head, and Chioxin leans in, “Exactly, I’m a smarter dragon then you think. I’m aware that one moron’s actions do not speak for the entirety of a race.” His mass rolls back onto his haunches and he puts his nose in the air. “Besides, that’s grouk poo, dragons do not eat you because one human made a horrendous mistake, they eat you because you’re simply delicious.” Chioxin can smell the fear rising in the man as the words leave his mouth.

“I certainly hope that is not by personal experience!” He takes a few steps back, and instantly starts keeping tabs on exit routes.

Chioxin’s nose twitches and smells all of this. Concerned, he settles down on his front and pushes out his wings trying to keep Zarien calm. Lowering oneself to the level of another with out changing to that wretched Khutit form, is the only way he knows to show he means no threat. “Oh, I know well the taste of your kind, sadly. I did not always think you as my equals. It took a woman to dress me up as a Sslik and show me your ways and begin that change.”

“A Sslik?” he again looks at the behemoth of a blue beast before him; one capable of removing him from this world in a bite. “Really? I find it hard to believe any of your kind would humble yourself so much as to disguise yourself and learn about us! That’s...”

Chioxin interrupts him, “Ah true, but any creature of Istaria that heard her voice, to be blessed to hear her sing, would give her the world and more.”
    Last edited by Chioxin; February 11th, 2012 at 03:24 AM.

Default Re: Beauty in Small Things

I had only been an adult for a few months. I’d made my father proud, as I was the strongest of his hatchlings and one of the first to ascend. I was to honor our family and get the council to even look upon him for a chance at a seat within their ranks. I left home, and killed a number of your kind before returning with a full belly and a litter of sparkling objects to stash away in my nest.

One hunt, however, I banked around a mountain side to find this delicious morsel resting by a lake. I dove for her, hit the ground a distance away, and gave her a chance to run and warm her muscles to be savored. I was not prepared for the weapon she would turn on me, the absolutely beautiful sound of her voice singing cords I’d never heard before.

She must have known it was her time, that this was the end. I could see the tears in her eyes and smell that savoury scent of terror. Upon reaching her though, I could not find the will or desire to sink my fangs into her. Those blue eyes cracked open letting a flood pour down her cheeks, but she continued with her jovial song, and I laid myself down at her feet to listen.

Ever since then I returned to hear her songs, or those fascinating things your kind call instruments. I believe one was a fiddle. It was my favorite, and never before have I ever felt so at peace. I later found her name to be Jezebel, and she told me a great many things about your kind. I couldn’t believe my ear holes, so she invited me to come see.

I would not, at least not for a tim. A dragon in a human town? Ludicrous, that was asking to be slain. Gifted though I was, death hurts. I grew more and more curious though as she told tales of her friends and their adventures, and so when I was more agreeable...

“You’ll make an adorable Sslik, Chioxin.” She said, and I do remember growling at her. She only giggled, I suppose she already knew I wasn’t going to bite her. She’d won that battle, she wanted to win the war.

Your clothing itches, I hated them at the time. I couldn’t fathom why you would put this horrible stuff on your bodies. You thought Lunus were irate by nature? Throw some armor on a Lunus Khutit and watch them writhe in anguish and growl horrible things. Jezebel found it humorous! Even the armor that was suppose to protect me, itched. How do you fight in such things amazes me.

I was to be her body guard for the evening. Apparently they took guards with them in the caravans as they called them, due to the occasional bandits. I did enjoy the thought of surprising bandits with my true form, and secretly hoped we’d be attacked.

I sat inside with her and the two others in her troop. The wooden wagon rattled along the path, and every bump jerked us side to side. I remember feeling very cramped, as there was no where for my tail to go. I’d turned a touch allowing it with its plates of armor to lay out across her lap. She said I could, the other women giggled. My eyes darted between swaying curtains and hanging lanterns as if they were going to attack me. I wanted to be outside, but she encouraged me to meet the others, to see that they were good people. People worthy of my attention and affection, as much as she had become. That in fact, all of you are special in some way.

The two companions sat across from us with their backs facing the carriage, each on a soft pillow that they brought with them. The red headed one was the thinnest of the three. Her cheeks were a rosy tinge and her nose pointed. I was quite certain I had not seen one of your kind with eye lashes as long as hers until that day. She reeked of fruit and flowers. For that matter, they all reeked of something that was not meat, flesh, or sweat. I wished for something to plug my nose. I believe dragons would find them less delicious if they’d all wear such things.

A thicker woman sat with her elbow on the window of the wagon looking out into the wilds as we passed them by. I remember Jezebel telling me all the men drooled over the blond. Something to do with those bobbling orbs on her chest. I just thought they were tastier with a little more meat on them, apparently you’re kind flock to them for affection! I gave Jezebel a dumb stare, and she laughed.

“You always know how to pick them, don’t you Jess?” the curly red haired one would ask, and Jezebel smiled.

“Why he’s one of the brutish Sslik of course! Nothing more terrifying than one of them I say. Bandits will take one look and run!” She never told them I was a dragon, but I could see it in her eyes when she looked at me. That little detail she left out meant all the world to her. Her little special secret. I merely snorted and tried to look out of a window.

“And the guards that are more human are not suitable for such a task? I think you have a thing for these tribal people!” The lot of them giggled.

At the time, I found the sound annoying. I could of sworn I heard a squeal in there, like a fat grouk. Jezebel knew though. Her hand had found a spot under my jaw while I listened to her sing. It was there, keeping my calm. Now, remember, I didn’t want to know you creatures, so I used any excuse I could to hate you. Something inside certainly wanted to smile, but I put that little spark of hope out with a bucket of hate as often as I could.

“Why is it the Sslik you bring to guard us, never talk?” The thicker one turns from the window to inquire.

“What’s his name? Hmmm?” The other asks.

“Oh girls, come now! Stop being a tease! You’ll make him nervous and then he’ll be no good to any of us if the bandits come crashing in.” They all laughed, I rolled my eyes. I think this made them laugh even more. “His name is Ssithik.”

“Next thing you know you’ll be inviting a dragon along,” the red headed one teased and I glared at her for it. Did she know? “Don’t worry … uh... Ssithik. We won’t tell if you run in terror from it like the rest of us do. It’s understandable.” And Jezebel was likely the brightest shining being in the wagon that day.

They went on about other acts they had partaken in, and the joys of seeing various villages and towns. The smiles they put on faces, the horrible cat calls and pick up lines they’d heard from love sick men. The thicker one, she spoke of a loved one that she hoped to see on their return, as he’d apparently gone out into the wilds to fetch food for the coming winter season. Jezebel energized them all, the entire troop. She was their focus. Until the sun set, they sang and practiced their songs in that wagon, laughed and teased.

Peace again, beauty, I think I smiled finally.

I’ve only ever seen your towns from the sky, and how your homes billow ash into my skies. The ones I’d seen were filthy and reeked for miles upon miles. Never did I come close though. I knew better. They were full of burly men with the longest polls they could find and cloaked figures that could char broil the scales off anything. Your people, they are strong in numbers. Don’t forget that. You’re lives are short, but you are many, and when you work together you do amazing things. This, I learned on that evening. It’s a kind of magic I never knew existed in Istaria.

This town wasn’t like some of the others I’d seen. Plenty of trees lined the streets of Selen with lines of lanterns hanging between them all. The sun hung low in the sky when we arrived, and the rays made the autumn leaves even glow in the evening. I was speechless, breathless, and awestruck. I stood outside while they dressed for the performance to come, and watched the people of this village. There were so many, and I could even attach familiar dragons I knew to each of there personalities.

A robed man sat on a bench reading a hefty tomb, and beside him were a few more stacks. I thought of Varok, who worked on his spells in the grassy patches of Chiconis rather than the spell machines. Two boys sparred with wooden swords and one, when lost his, ran screaming to their mother. Or so I assumed. These, were two familiar hatchlings, who’s mother would always have to shelter the loser from the winner so that the playful game might start again.

I smiled, we are different yes, but we are so very similar. A spindly man in rags danced in the crowds, and I swear I saw him run off with a shiny coin or two he didn’t have before. This was most certainly Grak, known for snatching gems and such off the cutting tables that didn’t belong to him. Your society is... as troubled as our own.

There was no where to sit, but I found a tree to lean against when the show started. They were all on stage, instruments in hand, and the crowd already cheering for what was to come. This is not unlike our own gatherings where dragons show off their talents in growing crystals and mastering the prime in a way to show it off in a splendid array of colors and shapes. This however, was an entirely different kind of magic. One that worked on me well, but at the time, I didn’t know how it affected your own kind were.

She started slow on her fiddle, and the crowd went silent. Winds rustled at the tree leaves, and she pulled back on the bow across the strings. Another note filled the air, followed by the tapping of her foot. Then suddenly, the entire group broke out into song. The crowds became alive, the spirits of your people full of joy and cheer, all inspired by their finely crafted melodies. Jezebel looked so focused, as did her troop, but I saw a smile peel across her face. I imagine your kind see things this way too, when you watch a butterfly dancing in the wind, or birds hover in heavy winds that come off the ocean. Watching your kind... play... was like that to me. For the first time I was witnessing the grace and wonder of your people.

The music appeared to empower your kind to move, twist, and contort your bodies before the stage. As the rhythm slowed, you too would slow and change your movements to sweeping strokes and timed twists. When it picked up pace, your kind twirled and flung other individuals above them, eventually letting them back to their feet in a single move. I remember the crowd parting as they played, creating a clear hole in the center. I managed to climb part way up a tree to look, and there in the middle your people danced for each other’s viewing. The lot clapped in beat to the rhythm and slammed their feet on the wooden floor in time while your men and women weaved together in the center one at a time. How could you do this with out slamming into one another! I wondered for a moment, was this the way your kind courted each other? Jezebel told me later it was a form, but not the only one.

“So, did you enjoy it?” She asked me after the performance.

I nodded, and couldn’t find the words to express what I had just witnessed. “I, I didn’t know.” My dumb look made her smile.

“Pretty amazing right? Did you catch the man with the fire ropes?”

“I was worried he’d miss and light the stage on fire, but, he didn’t. He didn’t even ignite himself on fire.”

“Mmmmhmmm, tomorrow I’m sure a writer will put all of this into words, another into poetry. I saw a women in back with a lantern and a book, I’m sure she’s picked some fine moments to paint into master pieces some other time.”

“Paint? You mean...”

“You saw the posters on the way in, right? The paper pinned to trees by an arrow? Like that, paintings. No words probably, but imagery.”

“Ah, like the images we carve into are caves then?”

“Yes you silly dragon,” She bopped my nose, who’d do that to a dragon!? To my own surprise, however, didn’t growl or snap back at her for it. “Did you think only your kind could create such wonders?”

“Well, wonders worth witnessing, yes.”

“We all have our talents, dragon. I’m sure your talents are enjoyed as much as mine. In these dark times, it’s nice to know I have the power to bring cheer to others. To awaken their inner strength so that they may carry on for another day.”

I found my tail twitching to the rhythms even after we parted.

I’d never hunt your kind again.

There’s silence as the large blue beast is lost in memory, a ripple passes down his spine and his wings flutter, though to Zarien this could be just the wind. The man can’t believe the story he’s been told, but he can imagine it.

“You spoke of her in the past tense...”

The winds blow past the two, his wings rattle more. It takes him a great deal of self control to look at the man and not break. “Aye, I did. She... wasn’t gifted.” Before the man could say more, Chioxin heaves himself up onto all fours, turning away from the bewildered man. “But know this, you are delicious. I just prefer deer. Any smart dragon should. Deer won’t burn you, electrocute you, freeze you, suck the soul out of you, or for that matter your blood, make you explode, gut and descale you, or crack your skull open with a hammer. They won’t congregate outside your lair with sticks of fire and machines with spears the size of my haunch. Deer, while beautiful, will likely never add the same beauty to this dark world like your kind will. Also, a deer will never be the answer to the problem that is the Aegis, like you might. After what I have laid witness too, I could never forgive myself for filling my belly with something potentially worth so much to this world. Especially when there are plenty of deer around.”

He doesn’t allow Zarien to get a word in. Wings fan out and he launches himself into the sky, leaving the man behind in a few beats of his wings. The man stands there, watching this scaled creature leave him bewildered.

A Sslik arrives in Selen, armored in plate that hasn’t been seen for hundreds of years. He passes down the streets of colored trees taking his time as he goes. It’s a rare sight to see a Sslik in this part of the world, aside from the normal adventuring type. He makes his way towards a hill with plaques lined in neat rows against its face. Each of them is orientated so that the setting sun’s rays bask them in the warmth.

The Sslik eventually stops over one and squats down before it. His talons brush the dust and fallen leaves away, and he even plucks several that have scattered themselves around the surrounding area. Three souls were marked on this grave.

“Thanks, for opening my eyes to a new world. Those years were brighter.”

A gentle rumble of thunder fills the air, and a sheet of rain passes over the figure.

“I wish I could have opened his, before he found you. I should have never told him about you.” The following words are choked, and his paw presses against the plaque. I’m... so... sorry...” The rain trickles down his snout mingling with the salty rivers that already drip off his lips.

When the time comes to leave, he rises and goes the same way he came in. A boy races up around the creature, soaked in the evening rain and dirty to the knees with mud.

“Hey! Hey lizard!” He cries out, and the Sslik turns his head. “That’s some really fancy armo! Where’d you get it? Huh? Where?I know I’ve seen it before. I think...”

The Sslik gives a light shake of his head, “Just old scraps found in a chest left by a loved one.” He dismisses the child with a wave of a hand, “Take care. I really must be on my way.”

The child watches for moments more, with one finger in his mouth, as the warrior figure continues down the road and disappears behind the gates. A light comes on in his young mind and he leaps with joy. “I saw it in a book! A picture! Daddy daddy!” He races back to his home, “I just saw Ssithik! The dragon slayer! From that old dusty book you’ve been reading me!”

“Not a chance boy, that story has been around for generations!”

Author's notes:

This was a lot of fun to write, let me tell ya! It really got out of hand too. I didn't realize how big it was... until it was done.

If you got through it all, thank you =) I'm glad I didn't bore you to tears and make you want to find me in game and bludgeon me with the biggest squeaky hammer you could get your hands on.

This, is what good RP spawns, in my opinion.

Zarien is an actual person in game. I don't really know him all that well, nor does he know me or Chioxin. He sends me tells now and then, and we have amusing conversations. This, was one of those. It did start silly, talking about hoards and vault space... stupid stuff going on in Istaria... and then silly talk about food and stuff, because Chioxin and his player are very not happy with the fact that deer do not help your death points!!! I understand, as a designer, that the mechanics are necessary and I'm not asking for change =) That doesn't mean I can't poke fun at it!

Anyhow, I used Zarien as a vehicle to kind of express why Chioxin likes the bipedal races. Or I should say one tale in MANY tales of why he loves the little ones.

Thanks so much Zarien! And, thanks so much for playing a biped! <3 Your the kind of player that helps make my dragon shine. =)

Thank you everyone else for taking the time to read it. Please don't feel shy to give feed back. Perhaps, it's better to tell me in PM's what you thought!!! That way you don't influence other peoples thoughts I'd like to know.

-What did you like?
    -What didn't you like?
    -What do you think the point of the story is?

...I saw the bit about two kids playing with wooden swords...and began to wonder if this caravan went by Cole's hometown....unlikely, but meh :P awesome story! im terrible with Critisim, so thats all imma say! XD looking forward to our next meeting in Istaria.
    Cory
    ------------------------
    Coleraon Pesong, Warrior of Order

Order/Chaos, Harro and Pleasant Canyon respectively

Chio, I gotta admit i -love- those little stories. You got me addicted to reading them! Keep it up! <3

Oh, it does make me want to go find you- but only so I can hear some more tales. You really have a talent for telling wonderful stories and I hope to hear more from you in the future.

Also that bit at the end - "Ssithik The dragon slayer"...can't help but think there's so much more to tell. So what are you hiding? *grins*

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

Thank you!

@Cole: Most of this took place in Forest Guard and Selen... But... a really freaking unbelievably long time ago. I doubt Cole was around then?

@Xanthia: I'll leave it up for the mind to imagine, maybe I'll explain it some day. I didn't really intend on it though It is obvious what happened? I hope?

@Ceyra: Hopefully I willl! I was writing something else that wasn't really going anywhere. Then I had an amusing bump in with Zarien! So... story got told

I really like the way you used the Lunus viewpoint as the starting point and worked into a more Helian attitude from the main character's experiences. I adore that you included fine arts - music, paintings, etc. - in the transforming experiences. I wish we could really do some of those in game. I also like the way the dragon goes incognito as if a sslik.

I want to see him experience new things in the world now, discover new things about the fascinating smaller races, perhaps teach them a thing or two along the way as well. I'd also be interested in seeing his perspective on battling the WA with bipeds in the group. Keep writing, you do it very well and we want more! :-)

@Awdz: Dawe! Thanks so much! Art is a huge thing to me, all forms of it! I imagine a dragon definitely has an appreciation for it, regardless of where it originates from =) At least, I'd hope so! Seeing how we as humans appreciate structures built by life on our planet!

I do want to avoid "Combat" actually, but it's certainly something I want to play with. That is his view of fighting along side them. It'll dive into what he already said about "In numbers, you are powerful. Don't let anyone else tell you different."

Thread Information