Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My impressions of EQ2 vs Hz

Default Re: My impressions of EQ2 vs Hz

Quote Originally Posted by Thunndar
    LIL I don't know what to tell ya, alot of the lag in towns were fixed over the weekend. They built the engine wanting tech to catch up with it , giving it staying power and thinking of the future, the game had high PC specs for it, they never hid or denied that, that's not assinine, that's smart.

Bottom line, there are a couple hundred thousand folks playing EQ2 right now, I bet they will only increase there numbers as the game goes on, can you say the same about HZ?

Were you ever able to?

As far as ninja looting goes, guess what those days are over, you can setup auto loot splitin the group or raid options, so that statement is not valid.

Best of all I don't get charged 3 times for 1 account. [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

Great, so the game is flooded with a huge personage due to it's name and the reputation of eq1 - does that make the game good? Let's see how many STAYS in the game after a few months when the value of being a new game has gone. Besides, how many are quality people? I could care less about griefers, spammers, lamers and other immature players, and I suspect EQ2 and WoW will have their share of those due to the names.

Myself, I'm staying far away from it. Eq1's crafting was crappy (to be gentle), and from what I've just read, it hasn't changed to eq2. Simple as that, I won't touch it then.
    Celenor Sarafien - Unity - Proud member of Shinzawai.
    93 ranger/47 healer/37 tailor/36 mage/21 weaver/15 fletcher

Thunndar

This is what I am talking about, as you have read huh?

Eq1 and EQ2 crafting are completly different, there are no simularities in any way shape or form.

No tactics, you try figuring out HO's in groups, with the execption of the pull issues ( mobs being plainly linked ) the combat is very good, better than HZ's rock paper scissors bit eh, and it's nice forming a group knowing I don't have to have a cleric or enchanter to go hunt a dungeon, any healer, any nuker and warrior can do a good job.

And let's not talk about staying power on the HZ forums eh? This is the last game that can claim that it has any staying power.

You guys keep bashing a game that you've heard about or only played a little if any, meanwhile HZ is losing more customers everyday for many reasons.

Sorry but it cracks me up.

Lil Budy Wizer

That is just such a strange notion to me. The worse you perform the more "forward" looking you are? I guess the little graphics programs I write in my spare time are wonders of modern computer science since they perform really bad. I'm really forward looking because it would take a super computer to make this program run well.

Krald

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter
    Perhaps if you had posted here more than once your opinion would command more respect and seem less like a paid advertisement.
    Didn't like that, his point is just as valid whether it be his first or his 1000th.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Budy Wizer

That is just such a strange notion to me. The worse you perform the more "forward" looking you are? I guess the little graphics programs I write in my spare time are wonders of modern computer science since they perform really bad. I'm really forward looking because it would take a super computer to make this program run well.
    Sorry but I get similar performance out of EQ2 that I did in HZ with much better graphics. Sure that means it doesn't run too well on my pc since HZ never did, but still that is relatively "forward".

Also I've heard of people running it flawlessly with what would be considered a fairly low-mid range pc by the current standards of tech at mostly high settings. I wish I could do that myself, but my pc at radeon9700pro, xp2500+, 512mb ram is budget basically by todays standards.

Now I know a lot of people have PCs worse but still doesn't change the fact I'm running it on a fairly old pc and I do get decent graphics out of it even if they are not the best they can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderZtorm
    Great, so the game is flooded with a huge personage due to it's name and the reputation of eq1 - does that make the game good? Let's see how many STAYS in the game after a few months when the value of being a new game has gone. Besides, how many are quality people? I could care less about griefers, spammers, lamers and other immature players, and I suspect EQ2 and WoW will have their share of those due to the names.
    While the community doesn't rival HZ from what I've seen. - most people I have met so far are fairly nice. May change sure, but for now.. its ok I don't think there will be many griefers if any in EQ2 because there isn't really that much to grief in.

Robert Quicksilver

EQ2 and Hz are different in many ways.

EQ2 has usable loot. Horizons doesnt. (yet)
    Items crafted in EQ2 are superior to items looted. Items crafted in Hz are all the same a t3 healing spell is still a t3 healing spell.
    The quality of crafted items increases if you perform well when crafting products in EQ2. Horizons doesnt have condition ratings or item decay. (yet)
    There are zones in EQ2 and if grouping with guild members and zone is full your out of luck. Horizons has no zones anywhere.
    EQ2 combat is complex with heroic opportunities (think of combos in Tekken etc) no afk macroing here since they can fail if out of power. Horizons has no mana/power/nano system, so no downtime.
    EQ2 UI is customisable to a degree and you can get rid of the letterbox if you want, 12 hotkeys per bar, you can have more on screen if wanted and reshape them (1x12, 2x6, 3x4), thats more customisable than Horizons, chat dialogs are where it falls down thogh. Horizons is better with tabbed chat.
    EQ2 has group quests, but there is always someone willing to group with you.
    Personally I had no ctd's, lag is there (please do tell me which mmorpg has no lag) possibly in the minority there.
    Scouts are an important class in EQ2 because they can disarm trapped chests. In Horizons scouts are a rare breed.
    You can fly on a griffon in EQ2. Horizons has no ridable mounts (yet).

Advert over.
    I play both but Im *still* waiting for things that were promised, dynamic blight in particalur.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Quicksilver
    EQ2 and Hz are different in many ways.

EQ2 has usable loot. Horizons doesnt. (yet)
    Items crafted in EQ2 are superior to items looted. Items crafted in Hz are all the same a t3 healing spell is still a t3 healing spell.
    From my time in eq2, crafting items is absolutely worthless. Why bother with crafting, when every NPC sells better stuff, or you get the best stuff by doing quests? The only ones who may be earning money are the scholars/scribes who are making lvl 3 abilities. And in HZ, you have many choices. Not only a t3 healing spell, but many techs on it to customize them.

And besides the zones, forced grouping and such, one of the worst things at all (besides crafting) is the housing system. You've got to pay a WEEKLY upkeep for a house that is nothing more than a door somewhere you click at. Let's say you buy a huge appartment in the inner city for 50 platin.Reallycool to have to pay a weekly upkeep of 5 gold! Not to mention that it isnothing but a door somewhere. Nothing like our communities in HZ. And it's not even possible touse those apartments as storage. Chests that are just for decoration, but not usable as a container...

I might be leaving for Ryzom if things go real bad for HZ, but definetly not for eq/eq2. Even tho eq2 has dwarves, and SoR does not...
    Dvergar Blutaxt @ Unity (former ICE) / Paladin 97 - Mason 100 // before hibernation

Robert Quicksilver

afaik merchants only sell basic quality t1/2 items. If you think Im crafting in EQ2 (or indeed Horizons) solely to make money you are mistaken. In Horizons yes you have techs but then so does every other tom ******** and harry (excpet maybe with t4/5 ones. In EQ2 you can not only fail to make the item but be killed trying too. Personally I like it because there is an element of chance, danger, risk sometimes thats lacking in Horizons.(even doors :P)

Thunndar

==quote==
    "From my time in eq2, crafting items is absolutely worthless."

LOL what did you even get to lvl 10?

Store bought armor is not as good as pristine versions, you can't make pristine items with shaped componants, you can't buy ap3 spell upgrades or above from npc's, food and water spells etc etc all work like this.

I am a lvl 15 scholar, for kicks I spent all day selling spells, for only 10 silver a pop, about 5 silver less than others ( my alt makes the componants that I can't, i make the stuff he can't , it works well with a shared bank) I made 3 gold that day, plus I am so backlogged in orders that I had to give some orders to another scholar.

Don't get me wrong, EQ2 does have tradeskill issues atm, the worse being, the item to make ink for adept spells is so rare that it's not funny, if you get 1 peice of raw silver out of 1000 attempts at mining you are lucky, but they will change it, hopefully soon.

But I make a ton more money from crafting than adventuring, at least for now.

You are a spellcrafter but you can't make the components you need? - hence, you have to buy parts to make a useful item, am I understanding this correct?

Still only two games have hit crafting as it should be so far - UO and Hz, and UO is still the better of the two.
    Amazing that devs can't figure out why crafting was so popular in UO...

Basically - if I can't get a simple axe, go chop wood and make it into a bow, arrows, whatever without having to go BUY a string for the bow or feathers for the arrows or whatever - you get my drift, I'm not all to interested in the crafting, which I would call tradeskills and not crafting :)

I've read a lot about the game, and about the systems behind it. I don't like what I've read, and I do NOT waste my precious little cash on a game I'm not really interested in, just because someone on an internet forum calls it "teh best game ever". Ergo, your "please, you haven't even tried it" is illogical - why would I spend money on a game I'm not interested in? :)

Celenor Sarafien - Unity - Proud member of Shinzawai.
    93 ranger/47 healer/37 tailor/36 mage/21 weaver/15 fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by Thunndar
    ==quote==
    "From my time in eq2, crafting items is absolutely worthless."

LOL what did you even get to lvl 10?

Store bought armor is not as good as pristine versions, you can't make pristine items with shaped componants, you can't buy ap3 spell upgrades or above from npc's, food and water spells etc etc all work like this.

I am a lvl 15 scholar, for kicks I spent all day selling spells, for only 10 silver a pop, about 5 silver less than others ( my alt makes the componants that I can't, i make the stuff he can't , it works well with a shared bank[img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img] I made 3 gold that day, plus I am so backlogged in orders that I had to give some orders to another scholar.
    1) crafting in eq2 was so fun-killing, that I had no intention to reach lvl 10 crafting. Not to mention that you have to aquire most of the formula-books from killing mobs.

2) As I already stated in my first posting, I said that scholars ARE the one doing good business. As they are the only ones offering t3 abilities which everyone wants.

3) storage in eq2 is so silly low, its impossible to deposit all the needed comps in the bank/backpack. Or you have to waste tons of cash on items to level on them, instead of gathering/crafting them yourself.

All in all, eq2 has NOTHING that can catch my interest. I dislike the crafting, the zones, the forced grouping, the UI, the "housing"-system,... just everything there.
    Dvergar Blutaxt @ Unity (former ICE) / Paladin 97 - Mason 100 // before hibernation

Thread Information