Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My impressions of EQ2 vs Hz

Solarayne Starfyre

Default Re: My impressions of EQ2 vs Hz

*Eyes the gnome silently*

**CHOMP!**

*Chew-chew-chew*

*Ulp*

*Starts feeling a bit more "properly" fed*....

*Urrrrrpppppp*.

Tried it briefly myself and yes Dragon situation alone ended my interest just because of my own personal reasons but the game features etc did not do any justice to me staying either. Community is a nightmare and lack of RP is an instant turn off. The crafting i was not a bit impressed with it looked like an attempt to copy and be more creative than Hz but failed miserably.

as for graphics id say good but lag is as with every game ever a factor and I also think the quests while abundant are simple and pretty pre determined without options and choices you either follow the log or you fail. I think a truly dynamic Quest setup would allow politics and etc though no game has produced such a setup. Zoning=GAH i feel caged by zones though i admit better than EQ1 they really should ditched em entirely.

My opinions after the Dragon situation is EQ2 has potential and could be very good but is that not been every MMORPG so far?

Thunndar

Ok time for a reality check.

Lag, yes there is some on the heavy populated servers like Unrest, however with each patch it's gotten better, and in the first week alone they have patched 4 or mor times.

Anyone care to remember how many patches AE did in it's first month....... 1?......none?...........

Also most of the lag issues are in town or the small starter adventure zones, once you get out to the bigger area's ( commonlands ) the lag ends.

Zones, well they have to have them unfortunately, EQ2 uses instanced zones, for example, if commonlands is starting to get full they will put out another instance, there was 4 instances of commonlands lastnight, with at least 100 people in each instance, 400 poeple in one instance wouldn't work, so although I am not a huge fan of zones, I see why they did it and it works and keeps overcrowding down.

Graphics, unless you are on an older machine there is no comparision, heck there isn't a graphics cards or system out that can fully take advantage of EQ2's graphic engine, and simply put EQ2's graphics blow away HZ's, not to mention the engine actually works, there is no loot lag, spawns stuck in que problem etc etc. As far as the letterboxthat someone was complaining about you can remove that in options, and when thhings get laggy you can turn on the letterbox to help with the problem.

Adventuring and loot, once again no comparision, there is a ton of both, and no lack of mobs anywhere, grouping is easy as there is a lfg option that's easy to use, i never wait more than 5 mins before someone is asking me to join, and with there waypoint system if i am on the otherside of the zone I can follow a trail directly to any groupmate.

Map system, yes it needs work, they added it towards the end of beta, but at least they have a map system, which HZ did not have in the beginning.

Crafting, it's fun once you get the hang of it, and you have to stay interested as crafting can kill you. AS far as having to make a bunch of stuff to make 1 final product this is true, but the vision is you buy parts from other players, for instance to make a apprentice 3 2nd tier spell a scribe needs ink incense paper and quills. the scribe makes the paper and ink, and buys the quills off a woodworker type, and you buy the incense ( as well as coal candles etc etc) from an npc. It will take awhile before folks fully catch on but the system makes sense and devlops community among crafters.
    They do need to increase the noob resource nodes, but in a month as folks move on this will not be an issue, which reminds me very much of HZ upon release and trying to mine or gather beginning resources.

UI , yes HZ has EQ2's beat, but not by much, you can actually do alot with EQ2's UI if you actually play with it a bit.

Lets talk customer service, EQ2'sis excellent, I have had 2 issues and both wereresloved in a matter of hours, not days, not weeks, buts hours, and they actually have ingame CSR's, need I say more?

I could keep going on, but there really is no comparision, and EQ2 doesn't have 1/5th of the troubles that HZ has, and it's only been out a week. It also has x10 the population.

Lil Budy Wizer

I liked the overall idea of the crafting system. It is in many ways what I hoped Horizons would be.You have a tree with higher items potentially taking many more branchs andsteps to complete. When you actually manage to make something you feel you accomplished something. It was just the little detail of having to stay logged on to sell anything. That makes an independent screwed. No one is going to sell pristine choro wash that way. Without that I can't even start the process of making a pristine backpack. The whole supply chain is just screwed right out of the gate.

How many patches Hz had when it first came out is irrelevant. The choice is between Hz now, and EQ II now.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunndar
    Ok time for a reality check.
    Sounded more like an infomercial.

Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Thunndar

How many patches Hz had when it first came out is irrelevant. The choice is between Hz now, and EQ II now.

Ok , honestly, EQ2 is running better, has more to do, has functional housing, something for the adventure and the crafter, more atmosphere, more stablility in there engine, better CS, less login issues, the ability to cancel and not get charged, servers that are accessable by EU's to play with there oversea friends, etc etc.

So like I said there is no comparision.

Your opinion of the wonders and bug free, lag free stability of EQII seem to be in the minority...

Thunndar

I never stated that it was bug free or lag free, but compared to HZ, which the title is implies, there is no comparision. EQ2's lag and bugs are minor compared to HZ's issues.

Now EQ2 has been out a week , and HZ has been out for how long?

I find it funny that your guy's only comebacks to clear thought out, nonbashing banter, was, well flames only, nothing more.

I find it funny that your guy's only comebacks to clear thought out, nonbashing banter, was, well flames only, nothing more.
    Nobody's flamed you yet. You posted your opinion, as you're entitled to, but indoing so you open yourself up to those who disagree with that opinion. Perhaps if you had posted here more than once your opinion would command more respect and seem less like a paid advertisement.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Thunndar

"Sounded more like an infomercial."

And this helped the conversation or added to it how?

If stating the actual facts is your version of an infomercial I don't know what to tell ya, I just wanted to correct a few things folks were ignorantly stating ( measuring a mmorg after 14 hoursor a couple days tends to not know all the facts)

I played HZ for 6 months and keep up on it, I was in beta for EQ2 for a month and having been playing often since, take what I have to say for what ya want, EQ2 is not perfect,( no where did I state that it was)but they did a great job, with only more stuff to come in the future. The AE staff may want to take a look at a few things SOE did with the game and see what they can do to add the good stuff to there own engine, if it's possible.

he is the only one that has posted in response and the minority because the moderators of this board have gone and banned everyone or put people on pre approval that have even said one negative thing about the game. Obviously the mods havent read this thread yet and Thundar too will be put on pre approve status.

If you do not hold the party line here you get banned or your right to disagree with any fanboi here restricted.

And since I know this won't get approved this is directed squarely at Dangit and Peaches since they will be the only ones to see it. You must really like that world you live in.

Lil Budy Wizer

Well, my experience playing the game was a good deal differant concerning how beautiful on a practical basis, bug free and lag free. Those are technical issues though. They will make improvements. As it stands now the crashes and disconnects where about unbearable. It was an ugly game compared to Horizons at the settings I had to run at for the game to maintain an acceptable framerate on my system. Plenty of other games are able to render beautifully on my PC while maintaining an acceptable framerate. I had to use the extreme performance preset then turn the resolution way down on top of that. That made for one ugly ****** game. An acceptable framerate to me is not running into walls and off bridges because I'm not getting updates to tell me what is happening. I saw plenty of other people standing with their noses to the wall and falling off bridges. In combat with settings tha looked good some battles where half over before I could target a creature and attack it when fighting with a group against spellcasters. Even with the lowest setting every zone load, and there were a lot, was minute or two of stumbling around like a drunk.

Those are all technical issues. The issue to me is game design. It is EQ2 with an emphasis on 2. The target market are those currently playing EQ. The goal is not to appeal to those that didn't like EQ. If you didn't like EQ then you aren't going to like this game because there are not substantive changes to the game design. Most changes are simply to address problems in EQ. They would lose a lot of customers to make them start over. So they will instead siphon off players from the old EQ, put the development effort into EQ2, milk the old one for what they can get and when it is no longer profitable they will shut it down. Being able to solo is just a token jesture because it was never practical in EQ. Their biggest concern is groups. Specifically keeping groups from pulling single creatures of substantially higher level for uber loot. Single creatures don't drop uber loot. They drop mundane loot. So a group is better off fighting a lower level group than a much higher creature intended for solo combat. So you can farm cash solo, but you aren't going to get the things you really need without a group. Same with crafting. You aren't going anywhere without a group. The bigger, more uber, the guild you are part of the better. I suspect, over time, you'll find it isn't just the lone fool out there trying to kill an hour before work that is screwed, but small groups of friends and guilds as well. We're big, we're badass, we're nationwide is what this game is geared for. We are small, we are humble, we do the best we can equals screwed in this game.

why are there always so many stuff about eq2 on Hz forums this is like compareing apples and orenges about the only thing in common is that there both mmorgps
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketsup
    Ssafire-lvl 100 Cleric, 100 Bloodmage, 100 Mage, 100 Druid, 90 Monk, Saris
    Safiretalon-lvl 66 dragon adventurer, lvl 32 dragon crafter, lvl 14 dragon lairshaper.
    Guild: Dark Defenders
    Horizons player since: December 21st 2003

Good point, Safire.

Exit, stage right...
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos

Thunndar

Lil Buzy what are your system specs?

Mine are not that great and don't have half the problems that you are describing, and the only thing i havedisabled is shadows and water detail, everything else is as they recommended. I have yet to crash, and at least on unrest the only time I have been disconnected is when the servers were going down, and when a dungeon with 100 players crashed.

My specs

athlon xp 2.4
    512 ddr ram
    5200fx 128 meg graphics card

And the thing is, is EQ2 is by far not a guild only type game, pickup groups are extremly easy, you don't really have to have any one certain class, a shaman is just as effective as a cleric, only in different ways, same with druids. You don't need an enchanter or mezzer, root can do the trick from any caster, any kind of tank can do it well as well.

Pickup groups, and at times when needed pickup raids are cake, no guilds needed.

This game was not built for EQ1 types, they have that market, it been solid for them, so they are reaching out to other players, the only things EQ1 and 2 have in commnon is the toons, some of the lore, the name, and to an extent the class names.

:o I havent played eq2, but I know enough people who play it that try and push it on me in subtle ways...

From what I have read, seen, and heard about it, it will be an awesome game. But I am sure like all MMO's its cons will keep people from playing. Thats inevitable.

Compared to H? Visually I think Eq2 has better visuals, but thats because unlike WoW, Eq2 is going forward in technoclogy with their visuals. There are many lovely things in eq2, but I see the same beauty alot in H...

As far as crafting in eq 2... It may be worthwhile and enjoyable, but it seems a little superfluous... Too much for too little...

But in time well see how well it does. I know there will be millions on it... its inevitable... A game with good questing and sweet visuals will sell almost all the time.
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas
    Ill say it over and over until it is addressed...
    Take your suggestions here . Submit a help request and choose feedback from the list. They cannot ignore their inbox.

Lil Buzy what are your system specs?

Mine are not that great and don't have half the problems that you are describing, and the only thing i havedisabled is shadows and water detail, everything else is as they recommended. I have yet to crash, and at least on unrest the only time I have been disconnected is when the servers were going down, and when a dungeon with 100 players crashed.

My specs

athlon xp 2.4
    512 ddr ram
    5200fx 128 meg graphics card
    You can't play on high settings with this system. Beside that the graphics are ugly anyway in eq2 (from an artific point of view) you have to turn off the nice effects, too...

And the thing is, is EQ2 is by far not a guild only type game, pickup groups are extremly easy, you don't really have to have any one certain class, a shaman is just as effective as a cleric, only in different ways, same with druids. You don't need an enchanter or mezzer, root can do the trick from any caster, any kind of tank can do it well as well.

Pickup groups, and at times when needed pickup raids are cake, no guilds needed.
    As long as you are not interested in ninja-looters & co, true. But wait till a cool item drops, how nice this communityin pickup groupsreally is...

This game was not built for EQ1 types, they have that market, it been solid for them, so they are reaching out to other players, the only things EQ1 and 2 have in commnon is the toons, some of the lore, the name, and to an extent the class names.
    It's not built for eq1-players, because there is no tactics, no fun and no spirit in this game. They kept mainly the grind.
    Clerical Chaos Conjurer

Waechter der Zeit
    Beta-guild from Earth - and we are still here!
    Unity

Lil Budy Wizer

I have 3700+ AMD, 128MB Geforce 5700 and 512MB of ram. I played on IoR with no problem with the initial settings. Once in Greystone it got bad, once into the city it got brutal. It could be the 1280x1024 performs substantially differantly than 1024x768. I didn't try that, but I tried about everything else. Stillll 1024x768 isn't acceptable to me on a 23 inch monitor combined with all the windows I keep open. Overall I would say your tolerance is much higher than mine. Between a good looking game and a responsive game I prefer a responsive one. Between real estate to keep the windows open and out of my way and a good looking game I'll take the real estate. I prefer not to have to make those choices. Plenty of games I don't have to make those choices, but in this game I did.

Not everyone is going to find this a beautiful game from a practical perspective. I find the arguement that they have setting no one can even use to be assinine. I don't care how beautiful it is at 1 frame per hour. I care how beautiful it can be at 30fps on an average machine because that is what I'm going to experience. My experience here was it looks good with crappy performance and looks crappy with good performance. With performance comparable to what I'm use to in Horizons it didn't look as good. Yes, accepting a much lower level of performance it looks much better and most likely better than Horizons with setting producing the same crappy performance, but I don't really care. It is first and foremost a game and the graphics is just eye candy. EQ2 didn't fail to appeal to me because of the crappy graphics it took to get an acceptable level of performance. It failed to appeal to me because of the gameplay. It is EQ with a 2 and I don't like it for the same reason I didn't like EQ. The only real differance between the two is that EQ2 is EQ with a vengence. It is a double helping of everything I didn't like in EQ.

Thunndar

LIL I don't know what to tell ya, alot of the lag in towns were fixed over the weekend. They built the engine wanting tech to catch up with it , giving it staying power and thinking of the future, the game had high PC specs for it, they never hid or denied that, that's not assinine, that's smart.

Bottom line, there are a couple hundred thousand folks playing EQ2 right now, I bet they will only increase there numbers as the game goes on, can you say the same about HZ?

Were you ever able to?

As far as ninja looting goes, guess what those days are over, you can setup auto loot splitin the group or raid options, so that statement is not valid.

Best of all I don't get charged 3 times for 1 account. [:D]

Thread Information