Thread: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

Hybrid View

Default Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

Techies, beware with all the facebooks,twitters, iphones etc out there.

Subject: Warning on taking pics from your cell phone!!!!!!! PLEASE WATCH THIS

If you, your kids or your grandkids take pictures on their cell phone and then send the photos to others,
    watch this video...scary information and a simple solution...
    Cheers.
    Click on you tube link (below)

PLEASE PASS THIS INFO TO ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO
    TAKES PICTURES WITH THEIR CELL OR SMART PHONE
    AND POSTS THEM ON LINE.
    I want everyone of you to watch this and then be sure to share with all your
    family and friends. Its REALLY important info, about what your posting things
    on your cell phones can do TO YOU!!! Too much technology out there these days so beware............. PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO WATCH THIS VIDEO,
    AND TAKE THE RECOMMENDED PRECAUTIONS.
    If you have children or grandchildren you NEED to watch this.
    I had no idea this could happen from taking pictures on the blackberry or cell phone.
    ……..It's scary.
    Last edited by Velea; February 24th, 2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Removed link to videos not related to Istaria...

Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

Exactly what the media wants. BE AFRAID!
    I'm not denouncing the possibility, but seriously?! Stand up, don't hide in a cave.
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

Ugh. I hate how people use "protect the children!" as a rallying cry for just about anything. Yes... protect your children by teaching them how to recognize trouble and stay out of it. Don't use it as an excuse to be a luddite.

That aside, geotagging pictures is a real privacy issue, and amounts to a record of where you were at a given time. Given enough data points, an adversary can predict where you will be at a given time of day, and know just how long they have to rob your house or steal your car, for example. The GPS coordinates and timestamp in the EXIF header can also be used in all sorts of other ways to ruin your life. Remember, by posting an image on the public internet, a search warrant is not required to examine its contents, nor make the image and its metadata admissible in court as evidence against you.

Having said that, geotagging has its uses, such as trying to remember where you took a picture on your vacation. Like all technology, geotagging has its good uses and bad uses, and the key to making it benign is making sure people understand its ramifications and how to control it.

As an aside, some cameras have a GPS receiver and will location stamp images too. The higher end cameras will also add a digital signature to show that the image and its metadata wasn't altered after being written to memory.

Alas, the greater threat to children posed by geotagging is probably someone wanting to "make an example" of them and prosecute kids under some zero-tolerance statute -- by using geotagged pictures of kids doing stupid things that kids do.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

The amount of sensationalist alarmism in that video is pretty ridiculous. Almost sickening. So typical of mainstream US news. Why can't they just calmly present the facts... Do the majority of their viewers really not understand what they're told unless they're spoken to like that? Do the majority of their viewers really enjoy those overwrought, patronizing tones?

I research things I buy before I buy them. If I had a child, I'd research products I buy for them and teach them to do the same when they're buying things for themselves. Geotagging is not new; it does not spontaneously grow inside your smartphone at some point after you buy it.
    Last edited by Vaz; February 24th, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by GlindorOcculus View Post
    Exactly what the media wants. BE AFRAID!
    I'm not denouncing the possibility, but seriously?! Stand up, don't hide in a cave.
    Interesting response. So you are saying that parents should not take a simple measure as outlined in the video to protect their children? Seems like an easy change to not post GPS coordinates along with the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    Interesting response. So you are saying that parents should not take a simple measure as outlined in the video to protect their children? Seems like an easy change to not post GPS coordinates along with the picture.
    That's not what I'm saying at all.
    I said I'm not denouncing the possiblility that it could happen and yes you should remove the tracking info. I was just stating that people shouldn't overreact and head for the hills. The media is always fear-driven nowadays and people shouldn't let it scare the crap out of them.

EDIT: Xoshara hit the matter right on the head.
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

This thread should be deleted as Velea removed the link as it was not HZ related...even though it was posted in the non Hz related forum

I love how everyone rallies to protect the kids...

Kids, Kids, Kids, Kids, Kids, Kids, Kids...

We must plow the roads so the kids can go to school! If there's no school, well, screw it, we're not plowing the roads! OMG, those kids, we gotta protect them! We gotta make sure that every kid on the planet gets everything they need! We must shelter them from any and all danger!

Meanwhile, nobody cares about the adults. Here's a hint: The kids aren't what makes the world go 'round. You need _adults_ for that.

If you ask me, Overpopulation is the #1 problem with what's wrong in the world today. My opinion is thusly: Stop trying to protect the kids from any and all danger. Yes, you will lose a few kids here and there to the various dangers. But the kids who survive will be better, stronger, wiser. The problem with society is that we shelter everyone, and society, collectively, is getting dumber, weaker, and less wise.

Society is going against Natural Selection, and it will soon pay the price IMO.

The kids will never learn, become stronger, become mature when they are sheltered from everything undesirable. They will never learn how to deal with stuff, how to make their own decisions, etc.

Sadly, most parents out there are too stupid to realize this because they were sheltered in their childhood.

Edit:

BTW, In the 1800s, a 14-year old was mature enough to get married, get a job, own property and start a family. Ten years ago, an 18-year old was barely mature enough to do the same. Today, I see lots of 18-25 year olds who are not mature enough to function on their own in society. It gets worse, every generation. The more we shelter the kids, the longer it takes them to mature, because they need to overcome danger, they need to figure stuff out on their own, to mature.
    Last edited by Dhalin; February 25th, 2012 at 01:46 AM.

Thread Information