Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

Default Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

Techies, beware with all the facebooks,twitters, iphones etc out there.

Subject: Warning on taking pics from your cell phone!!!!!!! PLEASE WATCH THIS

If you, your kids or your grandkids take pictures on their cell phone and then send the photos to others,
    watch this video...scary information and a simple solution...
    Cheers.
    Click on you tube link (below)

PLEASE PASS THIS INFO TO ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO
    TAKES PICTURES WITH THEIR CELL OR SMART PHONE
    AND POSTS THEM ON LINE.
    I want everyone of you to watch this and then be sure to share with all your
    family and friends. Its REALLY important info, about what your posting things
    on your cell phones can do TO YOU!!! Too much technology out there these days so beware............. PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO WATCH THIS VIDEO,
    AND TAKE THE RECOMMENDED PRECAUTIONS.
    If you have children or grandchildren you NEED to watch this.
    I had no idea this could happen from taking pictures on the blackberry or cell phone.
    ……..It's scary.
    Last edited by Velea; February 24th, 2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Removed link to videos not related to Istaria...

Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

Exactly what the media wants. BE AFRAID!
    I'm not denouncing the possibility, but seriously?! Stand up, don't hide in a cave.
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

Ugh. I hate how people use "protect the children!" as a rallying cry for just about anything. Yes... protect your children by teaching them how to recognize trouble and stay out of it. Don't use it as an excuse to be a luddite.

That aside, geotagging pictures is a real privacy issue, and amounts to a record of where you were at a given time. Given enough data points, an adversary can predict where you will be at a given time of day, and know just how long they have to rob your house or steal your car, for example. The GPS coordinates and timestamp in the EXIF header can also be used in all sorts of other ways to ruin your life. Remember, by posting an image on the public internet, a search warrant is not required to examine its contents, nor make the image and its metadata admissible in court as evidence against you.

Having said that, geotagging has its uses, such as trying to remember where you took a picture on your vacation. Like all technology, geotagging has its good uses and bad uses, and the key to making it benign is making sure people understand its ramifications and how to control it.

As an aside, some cameras have a GPS receiver and will location stamp images too. The higher end cameras will also add a digital signature to show that the image and its metadata wasn't altered after being written to memory.

Alas, the greater threat to children posed by geotagging is probably someone wanting to "make an example" of them and prosecute kids under some zero-tolerance statute -- by using geotagged pictures of kids doing stupid things that kids do.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by GlindorOcculus View Post
    Exactly what the media wants. BE AFRAID!
    I'm not denouncing the possibility, but seriously?! Stand up, don't hide in a cave.
    Interesting response. So you are saying that parents should not take a simple measure as outlined in the video to protect their children? Seems like an easy change to not post GPS coordinates along with the picture.

The amount of sensationalist alarmism in that video is pretty ridiculous. Almost sickening. So typical of mainstream US news. Why can't they just calmly present the facts... Do the majority of their viewers really not understand what they're told unless they're spoken to like that? Do the majority of their viewers really enjoy those overwrought, patronizing tones?

I research things I buy before I buy them. If I had a child, I'd research products I buy for them and teach them to do the same when they're buying things for themselves. Geotagging is not new; it does not spontaneously grow inside your smartphone at some point after you buy it.
    Last edited by Vaz; February 24th, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    Interesting response. So you are saying that parents should not take a simple measure as outlined in the video to protect their children? Seems like an easy change to not post GPS coordinates along with the picture.
    That's not what I'm saying at all.
    I said I'm not denouncing the possiblility that it could happen and yes you should remove the tracking info. I was just stating that people shouldn't overreact and head for the hills. The media is always fear-driven nowadays and people shouldn't let it scare the crap out of them.

EDIT: Xoshara hit the matter right on the head.
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

This thread should be deleted as Velea removed the link as it was not HZ related...even though it was posted in the non Hz related forum

I love how everyone rallies to protect the kids...

Kids, Kids, Kids, Kids, Kids, Kids, Kids...

We must plow the roads so the kids can go to school! If there's no school, well, screw it, we're not plowing the roads! OMG, those kids, we gotta protect them! We gotta make sure that every kid on the planet gets everything they need! We must shelter them from any and all danger!

Meanwhile, nobody cares about the adults. Here's a hint: The kids aren't what makes the world go 'round. You need _adults_ for that.

If you ask me, Overpopulation is the #1 problem with what's wrong in the world today. My opinion is thusly: Stop trying to protect the kids from any and all danger. Yes, you will lose a few kids here and there to the various dangers. But the kids who survive will be better, stronger, wiser. The problem with society is that we shelter everyone, and society, collectively, is getting dumber, weaker, and less wise.

Society is going against Natural Selection, and it will soon pay the price IMO.

The kids will never learn, become stronger, become mature when they are sheltered from everything undesirable. They will never learn how to deal with stuff, how to make their own decisions, etc.

Sadly, most parents out there are too stupid to realize this because they were sheltered in their childhood.

Edit:

BTW, In the 1800s, a 14-year old was mature enough to get married, get a job, own property and start a family. Ten years ago, an 18-year old was barely mature enough to do the same. Today, I see lots of 18-25 year olds who are not mature enough to function on their own in society. It gets worse, every generation. The more we shelter the kids, the longer it takes them to mature, because they need to overcome danger, they need to figure stuff out on their own, to mature.
    Last edited by Dhalin; February 25th, 2012 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    My opinion is thusly: Stop trying to protect the kids from any and all danger. Yes, you will lose a few kids here and there to the various dangers. But the kids who survive will be better, stronger, wiser. The problem with society is that we shelter everyone, and society, collectively, is getting dumber, weaker, and less wise.
    Do you seriously think that, given a choice, any parent is willing to risk it be their own child that does not survive?

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    Do you seriously think that, given a choice, any parent is willing to risk it be their own child that does not survive?
    There's a difference between, say, saving your kid from an intruder, or trying to keep the kid reasonably safe, and something like "we can't let our kid ever see violence/bad language/etc because it is a bad influence!"

There's a difference there.

No, I'm not saying that a parent should just stand there while the kid jumps out in front of a moving vehicle or something.

What I *am* saying, though, is that we shouldn't hold their hand every step of the way, and do everything for them. Some things they have to learn on their own, without constant prodding and hand-holding from their parents.

How many things have you heard "oh, we can't do that, its bad for the kids"... like movies, or video games, or what-not? We don't allow kids to make their own decisions, we don't allow kids to learn things on their own.

Like... school playgrounds. When my parents were kids, they had jungle gyms, slides, and swingsets. Nowadays, they got what, 5-foot tall slides? Anything higher is a danger to the kid? No jungle gyms, that's for sure. A kid might slip and fall, you know?

And in highschool, mom spoke of girls being able to practice on a pommel horse, uneven parallel bars, and similar equipment. When I went to school? Rings were the only thing the school could do, otherwise it is "too dangerous" and "we might get sued if someone gets hurt"... *rolls eyes*

And that's the whole nature of the USA these days, right? Everyone sues everybody for every little thing. God Forbid we put the responsibility with the person who did something stupid and screwed up... if someone climbs up on a ladder the wrong way, or tries to stack two ladders ontop of each other, and winds up breaking his leg, the guy sues the company if he can find any one of those warning stickers missing.

Same concept applies to kids -- kids aren't being given the chance to build a sense of responsibility for their own actions, because parents take away everything that could possibly be a danger in their lives, while forgetting that kids need to learn how to avoid danger in the first place, rather than the parent whisking them away whenever any tiny amount of it is present.

So a kid climbs around on a jungle gym, slips, and breaks his leg. The leg will heal over time, and the kid learns a valuable lesson. But, no, they take the jungle gyms away! Now, the kid will go out into the backyard and try climbing a tree and wind up falling and breaking his leg... or, wait, maybe he climbed up a bit too high and broke his neck instead? What are we going to do then, cut all the trees down now?

There's a difference between actively protecting (and teaching!) your kids and trying to shelter them from every small little speck of danger that could possibly come their way.

Same concept applies to Anti-bacterial everything being used these days. Many people have absolutely weak immune systems because they try to kill *everything* with anti-bacterial soap, anti-bacterial hand lotion, anti-bacterial hand sanitizer every time they touch anything. Their bodies get used to the lack of any hostile organisms and becomes lazy. Then, the time comes when an organism slips through and their bodies are nearly defenseless and they get deathly ill over something so simple that a person who isn't a germaphobe would shrug off with nary a sniffle.

You can't shelter someone from all danger. It only makes them weaker and dumber in the end run.

Dhalin, I love everything that you posted, here. I really do. Just sayin'.

Vamalchior

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    There's a difference between, say, saving your kid from an intruder, or trying to keep the kid reasonably safe, and something like "we can't let our kid ever see violence/bad language/etc because it is a bad influence!"

There's a difference there.

No, I'm not saying that a parent should just stand there while the kid jumps out in front of a moving vehicle or something.

What I *am* saying, though, is that we shouldn't hold their hand every step of the way, and do everything for them. Some things they have to learn on their own, without constant prodding and hand-holding from their parents.

How many things have you heard "oh, we can't do that, its bad for the kids"... like movies, or video games, or what-not? We don't allow kids to make their own decisions, we don't allow kids to learn things on their own.

Like... school playgrounds. When my parents were kids, they had jungle gyms, slides, and swingsets. Nowadays, they got what, 5-foot tall slides? Anything higher is a danger to the kid? No jungle gyms, that's for sure. A kid might slip and fall, you know?

And in highschool, mom spoke of girls being able to practice on a pommel horse, uneven parallel bars, and similar equipment. When I went to school? Rings were the only thing the school could do, otherwise it is "too dangerous" and "we might get sued if someone gets hurt"... *rolls eyes*

And that's the whole nature of the USA these days, right? Everyone sues everybody for every little thing. God Forbid we put the responsibility with the person who did something stupid and screwed up... if someone climbs up on a ladder the wrong way, or tries to stack two ladders ontop of each other, and winds up breaking his leg, the guy sues the company if he can find any one of those warning stickers missing.

Same concept applies to kids -- kids aren't being given the chance to build a sense of responsibility for their own actions, because parents take away everything that could possibly be a danger in their lives, while forgetting that kids need to learn how to avoid danger in the first place, rather than the parent whisking them away whenever any tiny amount of it is present.

So a kid climbs around on a jungle gym, slips, and breaks his leg. The leg will heal over time, and the kid learns a valuable lesson. But, no, they take the jungle gyms away! Now, the kid will go out into the backyard and try climbing a tree and wind up falling and breaking his leg... or, wait, maybe he climbed up a bit too high and broke his neck instead? What are we going to do then, cut all the trees down now?

There's a difference between actively protecting (and teaching!) your kids and trying to shelter them from every small little speck of danger that could possibly come their way.

Same concept applies to Anti-bacterial everything being used these days. Many people have absolutely weak immune systems because they try to kill *everything* with anti-bacterial soap, anti-bacterial hand lotion, anti-bacterial hand sanitizer every time they touch anything. Their bodies get used to the lack of any hostile organisms and becomes lazy. Then, the time comes when an organism slips through and their bodies are nearly defenseless and they get deathly ill over something so simple that a person who isn't a germaphobe would shrug off with nary a sniffle.

You can't shelter someone from all danger. It only makes them weaker and dumber in the end run.
    Wow what a load of 1950's or 60's parenting BS. Hate to tell you this big guy? but here in the good old USA IT IS DANGEROUS to be outside after dark.

It IS a very real thing to be told by your employer that you should ALWAYS carry extra cash with you for the muggers (so they don't get mad and kill you).

It is not a parenting style to allow your children to be exposed to dangers that can and should be avoided "To make them stronger". A simple disable a geotag on a phone is all the message conveyed.

This was in no way meant to stir up anti American feelings nor compare the relative safety of whatever era or country you happen to live or have been brought up in.

And I invite you to come to my neck of the woods, come after dark...wear blue or red it really doesn't matter. Drive around with your windows open and doors unlocked. Stop at an open gas station, or liquor store, or for that matter almost any establishment and get out of your car to ask for directions.

That's the challenge..."walk a mile in my shoes" before you spew your backwards rhetoric.

Dhalin, your post makes sense; there is logic to it. However, my original question stands:
    Because logic is often cast to the wind when a loved one's survival is at stake. The media knows this and preys upon it.

You know, someone should make a up "daily fright" calendar listing some of the more outlandish fearmongering that goes on. Might put things more in perspective for those who freak out at things with low impact on our daily lives. Arsenic in apple juice, anyone?

What a lovely blanket statement you've made that is in no way true!
    Where the heck are you?
    I've lived in 5 states and while yes, there are parts of this current state you do NOT go to certain gas stations or even stop for stop lights, I've never been told "carry extra cash" because the muggings are that frequent and I live in one of the most crime-ridden states in the country.

Most of the US is fine to be out after dark no one cares what color you are wearing which is why most of us are very confused with your posts.
    I don't think I'll be walking a mile in your shoes. I know well enough not to live or work in those places.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    What a lovely blanket statement you've made that is in no way true!
    Where the heck are you?
    I've lived in 5 states and while yes, there are parts of this current state you do NOT go to certain gas stations or even stop for stop lights, I've never been told "carry extra cash" because the muggings are that frequent and I live in one of the most crime-ridden states in the country.

Most of the US is fine to be out after dark no one cares what color you are wearing which is why most of us are very confused with your posts.
    I don't think I'll be walking a mile in your shoes. I know well enough not to live or work in those places.
    It would be great if I could change the location that I live because of the dangers. I can't do that currently. As for the colors you wear you are almost always liable to upset this gang or other on a bad day.

The extra cash was a warning the hospital I worked for gave as a safety measure when parking in the parking structure. Not long after that the security guard was killed with his own gun in that same structure.

As far as the city I live/work in it is the 2011 #3 on the worlds most dangerous cities. Do as you wish, sometimes the locals know how to survive in areas that you may not be knowledgeable about.

Being cautious and smart "street smart" is not the same as staying in a bunker, it is how to LIVE not only to survive where you are but enjoy yourself.

I can't post a link but google this

what is the 2011 murder capital

or

10 Most Dangerous Cities in the World in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    Dhalin, your post makes sense; there is logic to it. However, my original question stands:
    Because logic is often cast to the wind when a loved one's survival is at stake. The media knows this and preys upon it.
    Oh, I know it is simple parental instincts to want to protect one's child, but we humans have been proven to go against instinct (and a lot of times, better judgment lol). There's a time to step up and defend your kid... and there's a time to let them learn their lesson. The best parents know which to do when.

You know, someone should make a up "daily fright" calendar listing some of the more outlandish fearmongering that goes on. Might put things more in perspective for those who freak out at things with low impact on our daily lives. Arsenic in apple juice, anyone?
    Ever heard of the Dihydrogen Monoxide hoax?

I still laugh at that to this day, fearmongering and stupidity, turned up to 11!

And the sad part about that, is that it was our own politicians who fell for it. The people we count on to represent us in the government, for crying out loud.

Anyone who is stupid enough to not understand what the GPS on their phone allows ..well..they can be stalked. Kinda like the dummies who geotag themsevles on Facebook and announce to the world that they are not at home. Or announce when they go on vacation ...*facepalms*

As soon as I got my first smart phone I turned off the GPS, period. The only time I turn it on is if I'm lost and need a map to get out of where I am at. All GFS locating functions are OFF on my phone otherwise.

Anyone who is stupid enough to give their child a phone with options they can't handle or can't be trusted with...oh well, I feel sorry for the child. Hey guess what parents, 8 year olds don't have to have smart phones! ZOMG I KNOW!! THE HORROR! =D

Dhalin - there's nothign wrong with teaching your children some repsonsiblity and allowing CERTAIN life lessons to teach themselves; but if it comes down to safety...no..sorry..just because 14 year olds got married in the 1800s does NOT MEAN THEY WERE MATURE ENOUGH.

Brain development has not decreased in the last 200 yeras, the 14 year olds in the 1800s had the exact same brain development as the 14 year old's now - society was just ignorant. And lots of bad stuff happened.

When you learn better you DO better - just because that's how it worked 50 or even 20 years ago does NOT MEAN IT WAS GOOD.

Silly boy.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

When you learn better you DO better - just because that's how it worked 50 or even 20 years ago does NOT MEAN IT WAS GOOD.
    See, that's just it -- we're not learning better.

Each generation is getting worse, less mature at older ages. The kids are coming out even dumber than the previous batch ('cept for a few good ones), and we're obviously not doing better if you look around at the serious decline of the world in general. More people are becoming more like lemmings, more people are unable to think for themselves or form their own opinion and simply follow what is fed to them (because, you know, that's how they were taught as kids! How would they know any different?)

Ever heard the term, "Sheeple"?

And it is only going to get worse. Parents shelter their kids to extremes... then those kids grow up to become parents themselves, and they shelter their kids to extremes... and it keeps going on and on.

And "lots of bad stuff happened"? Are you saying lots of bad stuff doesn't happen now, when people aren't considered mature until 18? lol.

TBH, "Maturity" varies person to person and by upbringing. I've seen a few mid-teenagers IRL who I would call nearly mature. They were calm, collected, had manners, and conducted themselves much like a real adult should. Then you see 18-25 year olds come in acting like little schoolchildren.

"Maturity" isn't something you can slap a number on.

Good Kids that are raised properly will mature much faster than those who are raised poorly. The law likes to stick a number on that for simplistic sake, to choose some "middle-ground" where most people are mature, but the problem is, they set this number years ago. I think they should bump it up to at least 21 considering what I've been seeing IRL...

Edit:

Brain development has not decreased in the last 200 yeras, the 14 year olds in the 1800s had the exact same brain development as the 14 year old's now - society was just ignorant. And lots of bad stuff happened
    Living beings, especially humans, adapt to their surroundings. People over in Africa have dark skin to better block out sun rays (that's why you tan when you expose yourself to the sun), because they adapted that way over a long period of time. People who live in colder climates tend to have more hair, and tend to grow a little more fat (insulation) and have larger bone structures to support this.

Who's to say that brain development isn't getting "lazy" in the same way immune systems do when you constantly cover yourself in anti-bacterial everything over the course of several years?

200 years is quite a long time, when each generation is progressively more sheltered. We didn't have MRIs, etc back 200 years ago, so who is to say what really went on inside a 14 year old's skull 200 years ago? Especially when we consider the evidence that it is taking longer for people to "mature" in general these days, compared to even 10-15 years ago.

Anyone who is stupid enough to give their child a phone with options they can't handle or can't be trusted with...oh well, I feel sorry for the child. Hey guess what parents, 8 year olds don't have to have smart phones! ZOMG I KNOW!! THE HORROR! =D
    This, however, I will agree with. Entirely. Wholly.

Eight year-olds do not need smartphones. A smartphone is basically a computer; it can do the very same things, AND it has a built-in camera (how many teenagers are getting in trouble over sexting?). That's basically an unsupervised computer privilege, since the kid can whip the phone out any old where and look at whatever they wanna look at. You wouldn't let your kid use a computer unattended, why would you give them a portal computer and let them use it anytime, anywhere? I could understand letting the kid have a phone that does voice-only, but a smartphone? Um..... NO.
    Last edited by Dhalin; February 25th, 2012 at 05:07 PM.

Part of the problem with all this banter is that in the video it was NOT the child taking the picture.(if anyone actually watched)

The mother took a picture of her child (2 year old? possibly younger) and posted it on a social web site. And the person not only found the address but the location of the child's room.

The point of the whole thing was to turn OFF geo-tagging on your phones if you post on social networking sites.

Unfortunately or fortunately for those of you who think there is some divine right for the pedophiles to take an un tech savvy mother or father's child and it would be their fault, I feel sorry for you.

Try and purchase a non smart phone these days. The only advertisements you see are for Droid this or iPhone that. Everyone wants the newest fastest most gadget laden device.

You can go into any "phone store" Radio Shack? or even Wall-Mart or the corner Circle K and purchase a smart phone.

Educating someone of the possible dangers of improper use of posting pictures on the internet is not something akin to padding your child's room with rubber so they won't get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    You can go into any "phone store" Radio Shack? or even Wall-Mart or the corner Circle K and purchase a smart phone.
    They sell Tracphones at Wal-mart, which are not "smart phones". They are older-generation blackberry-knockoffs which do not have Droid or anything like that on them.

You don't want a tracphone, you say? I see advertisements all the time for phones like Jitterbug, which does nothing but let you talk.

There ARE options out there that parents of children CAN use.

Is it wrong for people to use said tags to instantly figure out where you live? Of course it is. But that wasn't really the point of most of the "banter" you speak of.

Your own words (and the video) came across in a completely "alarmist" tone. Instead of just reporting the information ("if you get a smart phone, don't forget to turn off geotagging!" or some such), you went on this whole thing about how we MUST watch this video, etc, etc, etc.

Educating someone of the possible dangers of improper use of posting pictures on the internet is not something akin to padding your child's room with rubber so they won't get hurt.
    Why would you post pics of your child just anywhere on the internet, anyways? Why do people feel this strong urge to post their private lives for all to see? You'd think that this would be a no-brainer that you shouldn't post your private life for all to see, but somehow people still forget the fact that private life should remain, derp, PRIVATE.

If you want to share a baby picture with people? Fine, Facebook has an option that does NOT allow anyone OTHER than YOUR personal friends to see them. Just posting them in some random place out on the web that anyone can see? That's just stupid. You don't need no fancy "geotagging" to know where someone is, if someone say, stood near a window.

Let's say you were standing in your house and you forgot that the window was behind the child. Congratulations! Anyone who lives near you might know which window that image was taken from if they can remember details about the background (the building across the street, or maybe landmarks that appear in the picture) if they really wanted to. Geotagging isn't required in some of these cases.

It all falls back to the parent and parenting fail. You don't release private information and/or photographs on the public web. You just don't do it. My generation was taught better than that when I was in school. It was one of THE first lessons we were taught when we went to school, that you DON'T post that stuff online.

Sure, Geotagging is wrong, but it isn't the be-all and end-all of what's wrong in pedophiles getting ahold of children this way. Maybe the stupid parent shouldn't have posted pics of their kids on the public web. Or maybe they should have done so in a public place, instead of their own home? *shrugs*

It all goes back to people wanting to tell the world about every little minor thing that they think everyone cares about (but secretly, we don't, and if we did, it'd be for the wrong reasons), and it goes MUCH further than pictures, and/or geotagging.

Thread Information