Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

  1. #21

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    They sell Tracphones at Wal-mart, which are not "smart phones". They are older-generation blackberry-knockoffs which do not have Droid or anything like that on them.

    You don't want a tracphone, you say? I see advertisements all the time for phones like Jitterbug, which does nothing but let you talk.

    There ARE options out there that parents of children CAN use.

    Is it wrong for people to use said tags to instantly figure out where you live? Of course it is. But that wasn't really the point of most of the "banter" you speak of.

    Your own words (and the video) came across in a completely "alarmist" tone. Instead of just reporting the information ("if you get a smart phone, don't forget to turn off geotagging!" or some such), you went on this whole thing about how we MUST watch this video, etc, etc, etc.



    Why would you post pics of your child just anywhere on the internet, anyways? Why do people feel this strong urge to post their private lives for all to see? You'd think that this would be a no-brainer that you shouldn't post your private life for all to see, but somehow people still forget the fact that private life should remain, derp, PRIVATE.

    If you want to share a baby picture with people? Fine, Facebook has an option that does NOT allow anyone OTHER than YOUR personal friends to see them. Just posting them in some random place out on the web that anyone can see? That's just stupid. You don't need no fancy "geotagging" to know where someone is, if someone say, stood near a window.

    Let's say you were standing in your house and you forgot that the window was behind the child. Congratulations! Anyone who lives near you might know which window that image was taken from if they can remember details about the background (the building across the street, or maybe landmarks that appear in the picture) if they really wanted to. Geotagging isn't required in some of these cases.

    It all falls back to the parent and parenting fail. You don't release private information and/or photographs on the public web. You just don't do it. My generation was taught better than that when I was in school. It was one of THE first lessons we were taught when we went to school, that you DON'T post that stuff online.

    Sure, Geotagging is wrong, but it isn't the be-all and end-all of what's wrong in pedophiles getting ahold of children this way. Maybe the stupid parent shouldn't have posted pics of their kids on the public web. Or maybe they should have done so in a public place, instead of their own home? *shrugs*

    It all goes back to people wanting to tell the world about every little minor thing that they think everyone cares about (but secretly, we don't, and if we did, it'd be for the wrong reasons), and it goes MUCH further than pictures, and/or geotagging.
    Gaaaaa there is no arguing with someone who has no logic. Let's take this private. There is no way for most to have the natural born knowledge that you have or seem to have. Do you even read what you post?

  2. #22

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    See, that's just it -- we're not learning better.

    Each generation is getting worse, less mature at older ages. The kids are coming out even dumber than the previous batch ('cept for a few good ones), and we're obviously not doing better if you look around at the serious decline of the world in general. More people are becoming more like lemmings, more people are unable to think for themselves or form their own opinion and simply follow what is fed to them (because, you know, that's how they were taught as kids! How would they know any different?)
    Uhh.... no. Yes, kids are seemingly taking longer to mature but that's because they haven't had to work on daddy's farm as soon as they hit 12 in order to keep the family afloat. The increase in the "childhood years" is stemming from the fact that times are getting better, not worse.

    IQ and other standard tests have had to be made harder over the years because people are becoming more intelligent and wiser to a vast array of knowledge.
    As an example, everyone had to watch the same TV programs in the 1950's. There were only a very few channels (and those were being broadcasted live).
    How many channels do you get now? How many of those are news stations? YOU get to choose what to believe and what programs cater to your tastes instead of being 'mass fed' what everyone else also watches or believes.
    Now extend that freedom with the wonder of the internet.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    Uhh.... no. Yes, kids are seemingly taking longer to mature but that's because they haven't had to work on daddy's farm as soon as they hit 12 in order to keep the family afloat. The increase in the "childhood years" is stemming from the fact that times are getting better, not worse.
    What I see IRL, are kids being more lazy because they don't have to do any of that "grown-up" stuff. Back then, 12 year olds did indeed have to go out and plow the fields just to help the family keep afloat. It was a harrowing experience that taught kids much about hard work, work ethic, etc.

    Kids today just don't have that and you see it when they get in their late teens. At work, I've seen plenty of highschool kids, or kids fresh from highschool come in and their work ethic... what work ethic? They had none. They got quickly fired when they blew off their jobs. The one and only highschool kid we hired that is still there to this day, 3 years later?

    He grew up on a farm, go figure.

    IQ and other standard tests have had to be made harder over the years because people are becoming more intelligent and wiser to a vast array of knowledge.
    You'd think that, but take a group of 100 random 18 year olds and ask them basic knowledge. Where's the national capital is a popular one. Do you have any idea how many kids think Washington, DC is in the state of Washington, you know, way up above California? lol. Or scroll back up to my Dihydrogen Monoxide hoax. Why did that work? Because a lot of people -- adults included -- forgot basic 9th-10th grade Chemistry info. You know, H20? Water?

    SOME people are getting smarter. But then the majority of them aren't. Remember how the USA used to be one of the top nations? Look at where we are now, in terms of education? We're not even in the Top Ten last I heard.

    As an example, everyone had to watch the same TV programs in the 1950's. There were only a very few channels (and those were being broadcasted live).
    How many channels do you get now? How many of those are news stations? YOU get to choose what to believe and what programs cater to your tastes instead of being 'mass fed' what everyone else also watches or believes.
    Now extend that freedom with the wonder of the internet.
    Most of these news stations are heavily biased in one way or the other. Pro-Democrat, Pro-Republican, it doesn't matter. Most of it is biased. But then you wouldn't realize/know that unless you really did your own research, or if you really paid close attention, something a lot of people just don't seem to do.

    And the internet?

    There's a saying... "you can't believe everything you read on the internet" has been around for well over a decade, coming up on two now.

    And again.. the News Media, be it TV or Internet... a lot of it is biased. There are some decent news media out there, but a lot of it is trying to sell you some spin on the story, they always do.

    RE:Mimir: If you want to send me a PM go ahead. *shrugs* And I would obviously read what I type.

  4. #24
    Member Sigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chaos (Unity (Ice))
    Posts
    3,151

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    Dhalin I think you are right.
    But people rather blame others or systems or internet etc. than take responsability over their own lives and decisions.

    Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.


  5. #25

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Dhalin I think you are right.
    But people rather blame others or systems or internet etc. than take responsability over their own lives and decisions.
    LOL How can a two year old take responsibility for their action? Unless in the 1800s they were required to plow the back forty. As we know they matured much earlier back then. What that has to do with removing Geo-tagging on photos I have no clue.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    LOL How can a two year old take responsibility for their action? Unless in the 1800s they were required to plow the back forty. As we know they matured much earlier back then. What that has to do with removing Geo-tagging on photos I have no clue.
    No, but their parents can.

    Dumb Parent takes a picture of their child, posts it on the internet for everyone to see, and then cries foul when a pedophile shows up at their house and does bad things.

    The pedophile is definitely in the wrong, don't misunderstand me here. But the parent also must realize that he/she contributed to it as well. If they hadn't posted private stuff on the internet, that wouldn't have happened in the first place.

    MANY parents refuse to take responsibility for their own part in what goes on in their kids' lives. They are so quick to blame the school, the teachers, the other kids, sometimes their own kid but almost never does a parent blame themselves.

    A kid goes to school with a gun, gets caught, and suddenly, the mother is blaming video games, the kids at school bullying her kid, the teachers for failing to notice the gun sooner, the bus driver for not seeing it, but never blames herself for failing to keep the gun out of the child's reach. (this is, of course, assuming the gun came from the kid's house)

  7. #27

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    Try and purchase a non smart phone these days. The only advertisements you see are for Droid this or iPhone that. Everyone wants the newest fastest most gadget laden device.

    You can go into any "phone store" Radio Shack? or even Wall-Mart or the corner Circle K and purchase a smart phone.

    Educating someone of the possible dangers of improper use of posting pictures on the internet is not something akin to padding your child's room with rubber so they won't get hurt.
    Oh I agree with you on the educating children part.

    But no, actually, there are plenty of non-smart phone avaiable at the major carrier stores. There are still flip phones and all of that - its just people ignore those because they want to go for the BIG NEW SHINY SHINY!!

    But its more than possible to get just regular phones that do little else (and if they take pictures they don't have GPS tags nor the internet access to post them) - all those phones are also much much cheaper as well.

    It all falls back to the parent and parenting fail. You don't release private information and/or photographs on the public web. You just don't do it. My generation was taught better than that when I was in school. It was one of THE first lessons we were taught when we went to school, that you DON'T post that stuff online.
    Exactly. That's the way I see it as well. And I agree with you on the self-serving trend that is popular these days with everyone feeling their every move, mood, word, and thought needs to be broadcasted to their fans on the internet. Very self-agrandizing...I don't get it myself *shrugs*.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    You'd think that, but take a group of 100 random 18 year olds and ask them basic knowledge. Where's the national capital is a popular one. Do you have any idea how many kids think Washington, DC is in the state of Washington, you know, way up above California? lol. Or scroll back up to my Dihydrogen Monoxide hoax. Why did that work? Because a lot of people -- adults included -- forgot basic 9th-10th grade Chemistry info. You know, H20? Water?

    SOME people are getting smarter. But then the majority of them aren't. Remember how the USA used to be one of the top nations? Look at where we are now, in terms of education? We're not even in the Top Ten last I heard.
    Um, I won't go into all the FACTS as to why your statements are wrong - but if you want me to explain the concepts PM me and I shall.

    But simply put - intelligence IQ test wise has nothign to do with levels of education and facts you learned in school. The average IQ HAS risen over the last 50 years and that has to do with basic developmental verbal and non-verbal abilities ingrained in a person before the age of 6 and *nothing* to do with schooling (though better schooling and developmental-advantages of active parenting can definitely raise your IQ - usually not significantly though).

    You are talking about maturity of kids in the 1800s...how many of those went to school? (almost none past the age of 10). How many of those could give you antyhign about any state or even any city they never lived in? None.

    The two points are irelevant and have nothign to do with each other. Just like education and "smarts" as YOU are talking about have almost nothing to do with IQ.

    If you want a more significant discussion on that and an explanation of the psych concepts feel free to PM Me. This is my area of expertise so I can go into all types of detail for you LOL.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    Just as another point - more on topic to pedophiles and the dangers of kids on the internets.

    I've always thought those stupid little stickers on the backs of parents cars with their kids names on them - you know the ones - from teams and stuff at school; are just..DANGEROUS.

    I mean you are giving every stranger who sees your kids get out of your car their names...I mean...dang...just...dang!

  10. #30

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    Just as another point - more on topic to pedophiles and the dangers of kids on the internets.

    I've always thought those stupid little stickers on the backs of parents cars with their kids names on them - you know the ones - from teams and stuff at school; are just..DANGEROUS.

    I mean you are giving every stranger who sees your kids get out of your car their names...I mean...dang...just...dang!
    Not only their names, but also what school they go to and what extra-curricular activities they might be a part of. They don't even have to see the kids getting out of the car; they can just look at the car and know that car belongs to a family that has children in school. A pedophile could just take note of the car and tail it until it shows up at the house and then wait some distance away with a pair of binoculars and wham. New targets.

    It goes along the same lines of stupidity that posting private stuff on the internet does -- it paints a huge bullseye on your kids' back and on your home.

    But, you know your average soccer mom... they must be SO PROUD of their kid playing sports in school that they have to advertise it everywhere they go, right? Not like Sports/etc in School actually means anything for more than what, 1% of all kids once they graduate?

    So, moral of the whole thing: A better direction of preventing pedophiles would be educating the parents and the kids. Instead of saying "Hey, watch that geotagging thing!" we should be saying "Don't post private pictures/information on the public internet" and things like "stop putting those stupid stickers all over your car that advertise you got kids".

  11. #31

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    Errr..

    "Last edited by Velea; February 24th, 2012 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Removed link to videos not related to Istaria..."

    "General Off Topic Posts: Discussions not related to Istaria."

    Am I missing something? Clearly those video links meant something to the OP considering the topic of this thread and is about a serious issue, why were they removed?
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

  12. #32

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    I have to agree with Akrion here.

    Why edit out links not related to Istaria in a forum that's meant for discussing things not related to Istaria?

    I am confused.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    @Akrion: Unnecessary censorship ftl.

    Oh and I agree with Dhalin 100%, just had to put that out there. Even if humans have technically become more intelligent than our 200 year old ancestors, for the majority that intelligence is just sitting there unused by its lazy host and may as well not exist at all.

    Chief and founder of the Order Roleplay Police Squad.
    "Order Police! ALWAYS ON THE JOB!"

  14. #34

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    Last edited by Velea; February 24th, 2012 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Removed link to videos not related to Istaria...
    My mind was so boggled when I first saw this, I had no idea what to say about it.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum
    INFP | ESAK: Explorer 86.67%, Socializer 73.33%, Achiever 26.67%, Killer 13.33%

  15. #35

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    Quote Originally Posted by Xepher View Post
    @Akrion: Unnecessary censorship ftl.

    Oh and I agree with Dhalin 100%, just had to put that out there. Even if humans have technically become more intelligent than our 200 year old ancestors, for the majority that intelligence is just sitting there unused by its lazy host and may as well not exist at all.
    That's a different way to put it, but it works.

    Potential intelligence doesn't do much if the people aren't willing to actually put it to use. Why aren't they willing? Because many people today just don't care. Look at your average teenager's ability to read, speak, and write their own language. I don't know what it is like in other parts of the world, but here in the US of A, the majority of the people I meet <30 have very weak language skills. When I point them out, or correct them, they come off with this "pfft, who cares? I'm not writing a term paper!"

    Eh, problem is, if they get lazy and don't practice proper usage of the language, when the time comes when they NEED proper usage of the language, will they remember? Or will they be too used to their lazy-speak and wind up doing that because that's what they are so used to doing?

    "It isn't a term paper!" is not a valid excuse. I guess I'm one of those older fuddy-duddies who believe that you should communicate your best every time you communicate.

    Now, don't get me wrong -- I've met plenty of foreign people whose English isn't perfect. This doesn't bother me because it isn't their primary language and I've read that English is not an easy language to learn because of how "backwards" it is compared to other languages. That's fine, I don't blame anyone for that one bit.

    But someone who's an English-speaking native?

    Someone who's been speaking English since they were a toddler?

    No Excuse. Just.... no Excuse for that.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    My mind was so boggled when I first saw this, I had no idea what to say about it.
    I agree, without the video link it has allowed this topic to be hijacked into what seems like (to me) one person's personal soap box on the troubles with today's education system.

    I did send a PM asking that the topic be deleted as it was fast becoming nothing like what was originally intended. A warning that if some unsuspecting post pictures on social networking sites disable the geotracking on the camera.

    I was accused of sensationalism and trying to scare those to further my personal agenda? Too strange for words imo.

    I posted the email exactly as I received it. This was in response to an off topic discussion in game, and I was requested to pass this information on and I did as requested.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    I agree with Mimir, the topic was originally about geotracking photos on smartphones. Let's go back on topic, if not locking or deleting the thread please. While it isn't doom, still better to be aware of the risks and more for children's. Internet isn't the safest area.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    I agree, without the video link it has allowed this topic to be hijacked into what seems like (to me) one person's personal soap box on the troubles with today's education system.

    I did send a PM asking that the topic be deleted as it was fast becoming nothing like what was originally intended. A warning that if some unsuspecting post pictures on social networking sites disable the geotracking on the camera.

    I was accused of sensationalism and trying to scare those to further my personal agenda? Too strange for words imo.

    I posted the email exactly as I received it. This was in response to an off topic discussion in game, and I was requested to pass this information on and I did as requested.
    Why do people go SO worked up over a thread going in some other direction to the point they ask for it to be deleted?

    Is that SO bad and evil that a discussion goes towards a different (but still somewhat related) topic? Is that REALLY so bad?

    I never understood the mentality here.

    There's nothing bad per se going on in the thread, just leave it the way it is. It isn't hurting anyone and last I checked, we're all still quite civil even if we don't agree on things.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    The matter is that the thread is derailed, which in't really allowed by developpers, who often asked to keep the discussion in the related topic in the past.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Scary Stuff If you have kids please read

    Clearly, Mirmir did not feel the direction of the thread was useful nor intended; she is within her rights to ask for it to be closed *shrugs*

    She also felt a bit attacked since she specifically said "accused of sensationalism and promoting my own agenda"..clearly the comments made were not taken in a passive voice. Something to remember when you post on the interwebs..

    I am theorizing the link was removed for the same reason I waas told to remove the link in my sig to Rant Refugees. It points to a site who's content can be questionable and not approved by the devs of the game; i.e. its not safe for everyone. (not just the link but if the link goes to a site that might have questionable content then it violates the forum rules apparently - at least this was the reason I was given when asked to remove my link in my sig).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •