Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk to the Team: Healer

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Healer

Quote Originally Posted by Vortura View Post
    I don't think Healer needs any specific class only attacks. A Healer can get by using the standard bolts and whacking sticks available to all classes.
    The bolts/spirit/nature line of spells only comes with multiclassing. While that is an option, if you wish to level only as a healer, your options are either get powerleveled by another toon and/or trophies collected by another toon or fight stuff 5-10 levels below you.

Some life based attacks would be very helpful. If worried about balance, make them specific to the healer such as Blood Bolt is restricted to the blood mage class.
    Cauri BloodBane - Order
    100 DADV / 100 D C R A

Quote Originally Posted by hallucin8 View Post
    I would like to see a Life Bolt. I would also love to see a Life Attack buff, even if self-only and/or non-masterable OR even something similar to Reaver's Ethereal Blade.

Also, I do believe the recycle on the Healer's abilities needs to be seriously adjusted down, please :)

I'm not so sure Healer needs to be more solo friendly, but it should definitely offer more over Cleric, especially in grouping situations.

Thanks for listening, see yas in Istaria! :)
    im on bord here.

I have to disagree with everyone that has said healers need more attacks.. Healers should have little to no attacking ability, like they do now..

I don't believe given healers the abililty to solo is the right way to go. In all games that I've ever played that is fantasy based.. Healers do exactly that, they heal as a supporter of a group. They do a good job of it, and thats it.. It makes absolutely no sense to give them more striking power.

It should stay this way..

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

I think that something big you are overlooking is the fact that other games have a playerbase large enough that a healer will not have trouble finding a group. There just is not much grouping in the lower levels of the game, and most grouping I have seen on Order is for the high end stuff. Forcing healers to take it as a second or third class just to make leveling possible is not a good policy. Let them have access to some spells that do damage so that they can solo and contribute when not actively healing. I know that when I take the healing role, I have several long chunks where nobody is hurt enough to waste a spell and so I have time to throw a few Spirit Bolts.
    Ssilmath Torshak, Paladin of the Lost, Shaman of the Damned, Master Armorsmith

My other "crack would be cheaper" hobby
    http://ssilmath.deviantart.com/

I hear you Ssil- but I still can`t agree.
    I`m with Finkle here.

I met lots of good healers.
    Hero`s of the shards. Often enough last (wo)man standing.
    Powerful (from other classes) and wise (cause they know about the game and how the play a healer).
    Ubers that are not above comming to fight as healer.
    Some of them are still with us- if they are part of the group- we`ll win.
    But they do not attack- that is simply not their job.

I`m sure healer school can be updated and made stronger.
    Concerning abilities a HEALER could and should learn
    (e.g. something like Vestia`s potion as an ability for the healer or third person/group).
    But I see no reason why a healer should be able to solo Istaria.
    I really sounds wrong in my ears.
    Last edited by LOVWYRM; April 9th, 2012 at 08:03 AM.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

With undead stalking the land, an abomination to life, I do see how healers could destroy them. I agree that they would not take life from other creatures, but I do not think they would stand by as unlife defiled the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Finkledbody View Post
    I have to disagree with everyone that has said healers need more attacks.. Healers should have little to no attacking ability, like they do now..

I don't believe given healers the abililty to solo is the right way to go. In all games that I've ever played that is fantasy based.. Healers do exactly that, they heal as a supporter of a group. They do a good job of it, and thats it.. It makes absolutely no sense to give them more striking power.

It should stay this way..
    I somewhat agree here.

I do agree that the recycles of some of the healing abilities could use adjustment. Especially everything that is non-masterable such as Full Heal.

However, the class could be fleshed out a bit as I suggested before: Any attacks granted could become on shared timers with the big healing abilities. But I would be happy with just a bolt and a life-attack spell as far as damaging type additions.

Ultimately, healer becomes a very powerful main when coupled with spiritist, druid, and a few other schools. And then has plenty of attacks. Perhaps adding too much would negate the need to multiclass (which is probably bad since that keeps people playing longer). And even life-bolt would be replaced with spirit bolt once a healer is multiclassed.

The more I think about it, the only thing I would change in the Healer class would be the lowering of the recycles of heal abilities:

Full Heal down from 60 minutes to 10 minutes
    Group Instant Heal down from 10 minutes to 5 minutes
    Superior Heal and Instant Heal down from 5 minutes to say 2 minutes.

Also, maybe a life attack spell could be useful against undead.

(sorry for typos and grammar in my last post-embarrassing-.
    Hope you got the point anyway. )

Healer doesn't feel as unique to me as some other classes. I expected to be able to do many wonderful things but when I got to level 100 I found most other level 110s had almost as many heals and this left me depressed and feeling a bit like I'd wasted my time leveling up Healer. Unless there's a huge hunt going with very high level mob, Healers are not needed.

And I agree with what others are saying about having no dmg. spells besides Mystic Blaze. I don't play Healer much because I can hunt much better in another class and have a lot more fun doing it.

Cixi
    Gnome Extraordinaire
    FREE RACHIVAL NOW!!!

That's maybe the most important question for the healer class: Do you really want it to be enjoyable as first class for a biped? Currently it is definitively more a stats boost for bipeds that already learned other schools that can do some damage to mobs.
    This prestige class is all about life giving and offering protection to itself and a group. I agree, leveling Healer from 20-100 without the benefit of other classes to augment it would be a difficult path to choose. Still, I don't see the Healer school needing change to compensate for a lack of offensive firepower. As previously mentioned, multiclass Healer with Spiritist or Mage (as an example) and you've got your offensive capabilities covered.

Changing the timers on those masterable healing abilities would also have an effect on Cleric and Druid which does nothing really positive for Healer. But I'd say do it anyway.

Without wishing to nerf stuff for other schools, maybe Healer needs additional passive armor, resistance and skill boosts, wear Plate armor and as mentioned before, boosts and timer adjustments to it's non-masterable abilities (Aura of Health, Full Heal etc). Something to lift it above those other Schools with access to the range of healing spells, Minor/Normal/Major Health, Revitalize and Improved Revitalize.

Last but not least, put a socket or two in the Mace of Divine Intervention (if it still drops) or tweak it so that it does something useful while you are still alive..... like when equipped it gives off an Aura of Health IV.

Well, in that case, I would recommend you put a really big disclaimer in the class description that says "You will have a terrible time doing anything on your own. We highly recommend you not take this until you are heavily multiclassed. After all, you are a healer and sworn not to harm others. Unless, you happen to have the skills to, then you can rip out their souls or fry them with lightning. But since we didn't teach those skills, you aren't breaking your oath!"
    Ssilmath Torshak, Paladin of the Lost, Shaman of the Damned, Master Armorsmith

My other "crack would be cheaper" hobby
    http://ssilmath.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    Healer doesn't feel as unique to me as some other classes. I expected to be able to do many wonderful things but when I got to level 100 I found most other level 110s had almost as many heals and this left me depressed and feeling a bit like I'd wasted my time leveling up Healer. Unless there's a huge hunt going with very high level mob, Healers are not needed.
    I play my biped in healer as the main school all the time. It's either healer for druid/spiritist spells, plus the healing support, or an archer class for ranged.

Leveling healer is one of the primary classes everyone will want if they multiclass since it maximizes focus (increases spell- chance to hit, increases healing, increases your magic evasion) and maximizes life skill (increases healing) and these affect you in any class. It's a good school.

More things to give it some unique-ness would not be bad. But it does have some of these already such as Illustrius Stand.

The aura of Health healing aura could be improved. I don't think anyone bothers using it.

Ok heres my 2 pennys. I have played Healer in many mmo's and i have a lvl 100 healer here too. healer is eazy to lvl here its just REAY slow the role of a healer isnt dmg so added a bolt or somthing seems out of the role of a healer. It seems to me when doing epic runs the aggro from my heals is crazy high and i have no way to negate that other then not healing. so maybe a abilty or spell that lowers aggro from heals or lowering the aggro from heals would be a good start. Im a little shocked no one had talked about this. another point to make IMHO a healer should be 2nd to none in healing no one should even come close i have not played druid/claric to 100 yet so now way from me to realy know yet so maybe make the heals better for healer only. ill take this time to add the aggro system need to be tweaked a ton here let tanks be tanks and healers be healers not tanks. I hunted SoG yester day half the time my healers was the tank thats got to get fixed
    thank you for your time and sorry for the bad grammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Peylor View Post
    It seems to me when doing epic runs the aggro from my heals is crazy high and i have no way to negate that other then not healing. so maybe a abilty or spell that lowers aggro from heals or lowering the aggro from heals would be a good start. Im a little shocked no one had talked about this. .
    I did^^:

<<and in my opinion healers should be best in defense- so I like to see something like CoT/spiked scales- but stronger- and only on the healer himself
    (makes sense, cause mobs tend to go for the healer first).
    <<
    (post No.16 here)

Aggro to the healers makes perfect sense from the enemies point of view... admit it, if you happen to be fighting a group of undeads that has some healer mob inside it, you'll want to kill that first. If you don't, you'll have a hard time killing all the other mobs from that group, because that **** healer heals them all the time.

The best way to avoid aggro from healing is keeping your distance. Stay in a distance that is as far as possible from the mob, but allows you to cast your heals on the tanks (and maybe other spells on the mob). That usually keeps aggro away from you.
    Please don't mess with that... it just makes perfect sense. :)

Also the healer already has the abilities to raise it's heals... of course the nature guys (druid, shaman,...) still can heal nearly as good as the healer. But that is because of the multi-class nature of Istaria. Please don't change that. Maybe revisit the healers passive abilities to heal more than the spell states. From my feeling they are not very powerful. But I haven't really evaluated that in numbers... it's just that I don't see much difference in healing power between healer or shaman on the same character with the same spells.
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Good point about all the aggro to healers. This makes it almost impossible for a mid level healer to do their job in a group. And even at level 100 with skills from other classes, the aggro is awful. Sometimes to target a group member and heal them it's necessary to step in a bit closer and ZAP, all of a sudden you've got ten debuffs and hits coming your way, have to use your own heals on yourself.

Cixi
    Gnome Extraordinaire
    FREE RACHIVAL NOW!

@Garfonso Aggro to the healers makes perfect sense from the enemies point of view...

it does and giveing a healer the abilty to drop aggro does too. is all im was saying there. but that point only works on semi smart mobs whats the reson on the bugs ?

how about a silence spell, to stop enemies from casting, can even work on stun/mez immune mobs. since it doesn't stop them from fighting. but will temporarily stop them them from casting certain attacks and heals. would be useful against Myloc Queen, Daknor and Faffy.

would be very similar to sorcerers ability to spellbind. can be used to stop blighted clerics from healing mobs that a healer or cleric is trying to kill.. that is so annoying

get a mob down 1/2 and a blighted cleric heals it back to full, and constantly heals after. almost impossible for some ppl to kill the mob their fighting. make it masterable like spellbind ability also. so can be used by some other classes, just as spellbind can be used.

can be spell or ability, or both. same timers as spellbind and numbing haze.
    Last edited by Merrik; April 29th, 2012 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merrik View Post
    how about a silence spell, to stop enemies from casting
    I love this idea. Could have single target and aoe on enemies, like dispirit foe(s) works: "Silence foe(s)" (or perhaps "Mute Foe(s)", since we'd still hear other sound effects like cries of pain when enemies get hit).

Another thought is some sort of heal-over-time spell, like the pain/damage is drained into the ground: "Drain Wounds" or "Grounded Damage". Alternatively, this could reduce the amount of damage initially taken.

More than that, though, I really believe healers should have spells to damage undead targets, undoing the abomination that mocks the life energies with which healers work.

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    I love this idea. Could have single target and aoe on enemies, like dispirit foe(s) works: "Silence foe(s)" (or perhaps "Mute Foe(s)", since we'd still hear other sound effects like cries of pain when enemies get hit).

Another thought is some sort of heal-over-time spell, like the pain/damage is drained into the ground: "Drain Wounds" or "Grounded Damage". Alternatively, this could reduce the amount of damage initially taken.

More than that, though, I really believe healers should have spells to damage undead targets, undoing the abomination that mocks the life energies with which healers work.
    Agreed, but should also apply to paladin school. original designs of Paladins in early games were designed to fight/protect against undead. and also aid healers in combat

This could apply to both threads about healer and paladins

Thread Information