Thread: Crystalshaper Guide

Default Crystalshaper Guide

--- Goals ---
    The goals of the Crystalshaper are:

• To provide players with a new Dragon school that extends their capabilities, brings new challenges, and fills an open niche in the Trade-skill system.
    • To provide the game with a unique school that extends the lore of the game-world.
    • To provide a Trade school that adds a level of inter-dependency between those who favor Crafting and those who are Adventurers, both of Dragon and Non-Dragon characters.

--- Crystals ---
    As expected by the name of the school, Crystalshaper focuses primarily on the creation of consumable crystals that provide temporary buffs to the player. These crystals have effects that include resistance and armor buffs, damage conversion, healing, as well as some more unique effects.

Crystals will be created using three components - Focused Azulyte, Infused Orbs, and Shards of Emotion. Crystals will be tiered within each category and will use a Crystalshaping ability as well as a Crystalshaper machine.

--- Resources ---
    The primary resource used to make crystals will be Shards of Emotion, of which there will be seven types in each Tier. The emotions include Rage, Vitality, Fear, Bliss, Apathy, Courage, and Peace. Slivers of Emotion are harvested from monsters, processed into Shards (using the Transmutation skill), and then used in the final production of Crystals.

Slivers themselves are obtained by looting them from defeated monsters throughout Istaria. However, characters won’t simply be able to loot the Slivers without first obtaining a series of abilities called Inspirations. These abilities, which are available to both Dragon and Non-Dragon characters, will allow players to “Inspire” specific emotions in the monsters they fight and when these monsters are defeated you will loot the Slivers of Emotion from the monster’s corpse.

So, for example, you might acquire the ability called Inspire Rage. You would then use that ability to give yourself a buff that while active would allow you to inspire the emotion of Rage within monsters that you attack. When the monster is defeated you would have a chance to loot Slivers of Rage from the corpse. This additional loot would not impact the chance for any regular loot to drop.

Slivers, Shards and Crystals, like all other resources in Istaria, would be stackable, storable in Silos, and tradeable on the Consigner or between players.

--- Quests ---
    Like other Dragon schools and abilities, the Crystalshaper school will require a quest series to be completed in order to begin your journey. The quests will teach you of the Lore of the school and some of its more infamous members, you will learn more of the Council of Elders as well as Relstaroth and Balennos, and you will venture into the Fiery Rift, a new mini-dungeon, to complete the final step of your journey.

The Fiery Rift is intended to be both a source of completion for the Crystalshaper quest series as well as a source of continuing adventure for players, both Dragon and eventually non-Dragon.

--- FAQ ---
    • What are the requirements to join the Crystalshaper school? The requirements currently planned are that the player must be an Adult Dragon, at least a level 80 Adventurer and have at least 20 levels of Lairshaper.
    • Why Level 80 and Adult and not Level 20 like other Prestige schools? The Crystalshaper school, unlike most other Prestige schools, is meant to be more of an end-game type of school and so we want it to be more highly restricted.
    • Can Non-Dragons purchase and use the Inspire abilities? Yes, the goal of this portion of the system is for both Dragons and Bipeds to be able to acquire the full line of Inspire abilities and to participate cooperatively in the acquisition of Slivers of Emotion.
    • Where are the Inspiration abilities obtained? These abilities are purchased from a specific NPC located in the Fiery Rift that will be added to the game. The cost has not yet been determined.
    • Does the new Crystalshaper School use the Primary Skill System like the Lairshaper school? Yes, the Primary skill system will be implemented with this new school.
    • What is the Primary Skill System? The Primary Skill System is a system where a school has a one or more skills that it identify its school and through which it will gain XP. Other skills the school gains are called Secondary Skills are anything made using those skills will now grant XP. For example, in Crystalshaper the Crystalshaping skill is the Primary one. So, if you make a Resistance Crystal you will gain XP. But, the Essence Shaping skill is not a Primary skill, so if you make Infused Essence Orbs, you won't gain any XP.
    • How will the new Crystals differ from looted Crystals? Crafted crystals will be consumable for their effects, while looted crystals will be socketable. In addition, the effects given by both types of crystals will remain separate and different. Consumed crystals will provide more direct effects that are predictable (boosts to armor or a specific resistance, for example) unlike looted crystals which are often based upon random chance.
    • Can these new crystals be socketed? No, these new crystals are meant to be consumed to gain their effects and so they are not socketable like crystals that drop as loot.
    • Will there be multiple Trainers in the game-world? Yes, trainers will be added to both Dralk and Chiconis from which you will be able to obtain the standard Mastery quests every 20 levels and from whom you will be able to switch back to the Crystalshaper school if you choose to do so.
    • What kinds of crystals will be available? Several types:
      • Resistance Crystals - Crystals that provide a sizable boost in your resistance to a particular element, but at a cost.
      • Armor Crystals - A limited set of crystals that can be used to provide a significant boost to your physical or ethereal armor.
      • Damage Crystals - Crystals that provide damage conversion to a particular element while they are active, but at a cost.
      • Healing Crystals - Crystals that provide an instantaneous sizable heal, but tend to have lingering side-effects.
      • Primal Crystals - Crystals that operate in a similar manner to some old, favorite techniques such as Primal Vengeance, Eminence, Vital Defiance, and Dismissal.
    Last edited by AmonGwareth; July 24th, 2012 at 12:41 PM.

Default Re: Crystalshaper Guide

I like that there consumable, and not a one time deal.

It depends which server board I think is which.

Wow, I seriously now can't wait for this school! <3 I never thought I'd be excited for crafting xD I also can't wait for the added lore, too.. *lore maniac*

I agree with Blue, too. It's a good idea to make them non-socket-able; it sort of balances out the school.

Any ETA or so when this may be implemented? Soon? Or months from now?

Definitely looking forward to this! As Racktor said, more lore!!
    Cogito, ergo sum Draconem.

As a Biped, I too, am looking forward to this!

Oooooh this sounds like fun.. Im looking forward to this.
    Chaos - Kinrath - Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper,
    Ashlind - hatchling, Corinnia - training biped
    Sparkled Sunbeam - hatchling

Im looking forward to this will take some figuring it out but thank you devs for explaining and answering some questions

these crystals sound kinda like potions but like a dragon alchemy school but i like it!

This sounds absolutely awesome, and I'm really looking forward to it!
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

Amon ,

would the horizon development team for a short time consider the following

for like 2 or 3 weeks on the Rare drop table and i mean zomygod rare the form for a permit crystal ( socket-able) to commemorate this awesome occasion

Keep in mind
    my train of thought you half to be lv 100 in the crystal sharper school to even scribe this and you can only have one of these in use on your char

i was thinking that of a weapon crystal one for dragons one for bipeds

what are your thoughts
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Not sure I really see the need for a "commemorative" crystal since we're releasing a school and lots of content with it.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning claw View Post
    Amon ,

would the horizon development team for a short time consider the following

for like 2 or 3 weeks on the Rare drop table and i mean zomygod rare the form for a permit crystal ( socket-able) to commemorate this awesome occasion

Keep in mind
    my train of thought you half to be lv 100 in the crystal sharper school to even scribe this and you can only have one of these in use on your char

i was thinking that of a weapon crystal one for dragons one for bipeds

what are your thoughts
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Amarie Ancalimon View Post
    --- Goals ---
    • How will the new Crystals differ from looted Crystals? Crafted crystals will be consumable for their effects, while looted crystals will be socketable. In addition, the effects given by both types of crystals will remain separate and different. Consumed crystals will provide more direct effects that are predictable (boosts to armor or a specific resistance, for example) unlike looted crystals which are often based upon random chance.
    As posted in the notes of the new Blight Update 231, we're going to lose the buffs we currently gain by consuming the currently dropped crystals.

Why the change? The note above, although slightly ambiguous, does not clearly state that we're going to lose the buffs from dropped crystals.
    Please leave them be as they are with their random numbers effect and without the penalties that are involved with the new crystals (the line "but as a cost" added after each description of the new crystals leads me to believe there is a penalty).

Make the buffs from the dropped and crafted crystals overwrite each other if needed, but please don't remove them.

Let the new class be a really nice addition not a trade up...
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Sounded to me like they were changing the source of short-term buffs. One thing I'd like to clarify - these buffs will remain stackable with gifts and other biped buffs like enhances, yes?

What an interesting and exciting content update. Something there for everyone - crafters, adventurers, dragons and bipeds. I too look forward to this. Thank you very much for your efforts.

The big question is when? *Flaps her wings with excitement*.
    Be the Dragon!

Primal Crystals - Crystals that operate in a similar manner to some old, favorite techniques such as Primal Vengeance, Eminence, Vital Defiance, and Dismissal.
    Now that's interesting... I'm curious to see if there'll be crystals that actually bestow some of those lost techniques for a bit... if not, why not consider it?

I noticed that you said 'similar' not 'bestows xxx technique for a limited time' so, it certainly would be a rather nice addition.

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

Awesome news. Although I think this is a waste of time addition (not only because I am a bi-ped, but classify this with the confectionary trade class) as it is only temporary bonuses. I forget half the time to use potions and the other half of the time, I want to save them since they are consumable (I have no idea why I am strange).
    The pluses for me on this addition are: 1) Since the higher lvl folk will be hunting for emotion slivers, the consigners will once again become loaded with the other treasure loot (which I feel is severly lacking right now). 2) Many players will be actively working on this trade, so the other trade resources will be lowered and their demands can be might by lower lvl players. 3) Storage requirements, which are always in demand, will increase greatly, so construction will also greatly increase - bring the need for workers / resources / equipment (tools/cargo gear/etc).
    So I cannot wait for this release.

I'm curious. Since the requirement (one of them) is 20 lairshaping, will having a higher LS level make Crystalshaping easier/go faster?

Are there going to be craft and gathering crystals. It sure would be nice to increase the inept gathering/harvesting skills of dragons.
    Experienced hunter and Grandmaster craftsman. Blight only

Question Re: Crystalshaper Guide

Will there be multiple Trainers in the game-world? Yes, trainers will be added to both Dralk and Chiconis from which you will be able to obtain the standard Mastery quests every 20 levels and from whom you will be able to switch back to the Crystalshaper school if you choose to do so.
    who are they, if they axist?

here anounced additional teachers, Primal and healing crystals.
    Are they jast discarded? or I mess something?
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16594&dateline=140663  6576
    Greedy dragon

Thread Information