Thread: Obsidian Lairs

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Obsidian Lairs

Absolutely no clue if this was made before...

Anyways, this is a random mod I made in about an hour that I thought others would like. It looks pretty neat, if really really dark. :P
    Some screenshots:
    Helian T6 Hall:

Lunus T6 Transmutation:

Lunus T4 Smelting (With the lava mod!(which looks great with this but only works on some structures..)

Lunus Grand Hall:

Lunus T6 Library (example of max darkness):

Tell me if I missed any textures (include a screenshot if I do so I know which!)

Last edited by Racktor; August 27th, 2012 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Changed name from "Black Lairs" to "Obsidian Lairs"

Default Re: Obsidian Lairs

They look pretty good. How dark is it up in the area around the cauldron in the transmutation chamber? I painted the walls pretty dark when I made that model to simulate smoke and soot and the aftermath of the occasional explosion.

It's pretty dark!

And that's only the Helian one! The cauldron isn't in there though because the chamber is incomplete in a friend's lair. ;P

Also.. an unintended side effect:

Oops.. I'm not sure how many places that actually effects nor what file does that. Sorry! XD (Edit: In case you can't notice in that screenshot, the edges of many rock/grass combinations has a black edge to it. It's more apparent up close. Only place I've seen it is in NT, but probably will be in Bristugo and other places with similar color schemes. I'll have to find that file..)

I fixed it, but now some of the machines aren't dark unfortunately. If you don't mind the glitch but prefer dark machines, download the original. Here's the fix w/o dark machines:
    Mediafire Download
    Rapidshare Download

You got that side effect because that texture you modified is used in the blend between flat and steep terrain. The client has a neat feature in it so that when you are "painting" in mountains and such, it will automatically blend a few textures based upon the incline of the terrain. If you wanted to eliminate the side effect, you can probably name the original texture something else then specify that texture name in the terrain.def file. I don't know for certain if it would work but I think it should.

This mod is great!

Thank you very much, Raptile. ^^

I'm currently working on a fix for the black-lands, following Solitaire's suggestion... but the problem is, I can't find the file I'm looking for in the terrain.def.
    It's called "dragon_stone_floor_broken_slate.agh".

Racktor, here is where you are going to go a little nuts. The file is not referenced directly in the terrain.def file. A shader (.sha) file is referenced. The shader is a text file that contains references the agh file you are looking for. Even though it is a .sha for a certain texture file, it doesn't have to reference that file internally. It is good practice if they are the same name internally as outside but they don't always follow suit.

If you look at terrain_dragon_crustydirt_alpha_brown.sha it actually has dragon_stone_floor_broken_slate.agh referenced internally. Confusing, I know. So you could point that shader to the unaltered agh file and that might resolve your problem though you might have to look at the other .sha files that are listed in terrain.def just to make sure that they don't use that texture file in some manner. Which they might.

The shader system is a powerful tool. The .sha files can reference several different texture files, mash them all together and make neat effects like shimmering portals or glowing runes or moving clock hands or etc. That is a part of why they can have different names internally than what they are named.

Thread Information