Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Talk to the Team: Default Key-bindings

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Default Key-bindings

Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
    I would be happy if there was a secondary key binding that made sense, like u or even r or even even ` (the button next to 1). I really dislike numlock. I know that the devs are planning to make the camera mouse operated which gets rid of the issues surrounding the whole numpad thing but I still don't like it.
    You do realize you're not being forced to use that key, right?

Even after the update to the default key-bindings, they are still default -- you can change them if you don't like them.

I think the point here is to make Istaria's default keys closer to most other MMORPGs' default keys so that NEW players have an easier time getting used to Istaria, especially if they have played other MMORPGs.

Now, the camera/mouse thing is something nice for veteran and new players alike, but most of the other changes wouldn't affect veterans at all as we probably already likely have the keys set exactly the way we want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    You do realize you're not being forced to use that key, right?
    Yes, yes I do, which is why I don't use Numlock, as stated in my last post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    I think the point here is to make Istaria's default keys closer to most other MMORPGs' default keys so that NEW players have an easier time getting used to Istaria, especially if they have played other MMORPGs.
    Yup, I get that. Which is why I asked for a secondary key binding. Something that is on every keyboard. I am fine with numlock as long as there is another default option.
    SoG? Where? :-P

Alas gone are the days when this was easy to do.

hate to be the one to say it.. but i'm not liking the fact that everything being changed now is in more concern of a few new players, than the amount of old players already accustomed to things the way they are.

don't get me wrong, some changes are welcome and needed. but to change defaults of all bindings to accomadate a few new players? seems rather ludicrus. if they do not like the current bindings, they can change them manually as we have done for almost a decade.

they are editable. some of the changes being made, to me, are pointless, when ive seen ppl ask for changes more important than these, get slapped down without rhyme or reason.

every game out there has it's own set of bindings to get used to, this one being no different. not every game has the same set of key setups. think there are more improtant tasks/issues at hand than some of these new changes taking place.

now i am not trying to sound rude here, but i do think other things in this game need to take precedence at this time.

take for example all these crashes, that have been going on for months. you're starting to get a large amount of angry / frustrated ppl. who do not like being at the desktop, when they were ready to teleport to join friends in a fight at the ED, for example.

i really love this game. i've always come back here after trying this one, and that one. i just think there are things that would be of better use to your "current" player base. i also noticed that we still have not gotten a fix for one of the other updates to client prefs, that allows us to save our window positions. please, fix some of these issues before changing more client based prefs.
    Last edited by Zorbin; September 10th, 2012 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
    Yup, I get that. Which is why I asked for a secondary key binding. Something that is on every keyboard. I am fine with numlock as long as there is another default option.
    The defaults are merely that; they have been, and will always be, subject to change based upon your preference. As far as I'm aware, through research and personal experience, Numlock is the most common auto-run binding in MMO's. As I stated in the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by Vehon View Post
    ...they are not intended to be an "ideal setup" by any personal standard.
    I'm sorry that you feel differently about this particular binding, but auto-run will most likely not be readjusted. As a reminder, your current prefs files won't be affected by the release of new defaults, and a "Default to Legacy" option is very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorbin View Post
    please, fix some of these issues before changing more client based prefs.
    I understand your viewpoint and frustration entirely. There are various issues at hand, such as client crashes, but it requires different people with different development skills, as well as their allotted time and effort, to address each one. This particular issue has been assigned to me, largely because I'm not capable of correcting an issue like client crashes.

This effort is intended to lessen the likelihood of a new player already familiar with other MMO's becoming initially frustrated with the default bindings. Because this concern is within my ability to address, I've opened this thread to encourage player input on this subject.

Again, I sympathize with your frustration, and I hope I've thoroughly described the bug/ issue-fixing process that occurs on the development team. If you have any opinions on this topic, you are, of course, more than welcome to express them. If you'd rather contribute to the discussion of client crashes, there are a few threads open that are monitored and contributed to by the developers who are capable of correcting the issue.

The development team is persistently working to release updates, correct issues, and improve the overall experience of Istaria with your continued feedback and support. I encourage you to participate in the threads that address the issues you would most like to see fixed.

Sounds like a good idea.

Though I can't really comment on the defaults themselves, as I use the same binds as I do for FPS games and have changed many from the default. If they line up more with other mmo defaults, go for it.

most games use left mouse click for movement and targeting. i also like the tab for attack and backspace for gather. i would hate to see the left click mouse button set for camera usage. i personally prefer the mouse wheel for Mlook and zoom. but many games use right click for Mlook. never have i seen one use the left button.

i wouldn't be happy trying to click a target and move my mouse same time, to find i'm facing somewhere else. think mouse setup could be left as it is. it cna easily be reconfigured via the options already

Quote Originally Posted by Zorbin View Post
    it cna easily be reconfigured via the options already
    No, it can't. I tried. Lord howdy, I tried.

Also, since you seem to be unclear on what Vehon is suggesting, my understanding is that the proposal would have the mouse will behave exactly like it does in every single other mouse-using MMO. Currently, Istaria's mouse controls have a problem where they're too stupid to pull double duty according to whether you're interacting with the UI or the world. You either have a mouse that can interact with the UI-- moving windows, selecting items, etc-- OR you have a mouse that moves your character/camera. You get one or you get the other. The proposal would make it so the mouse can do both, picking the correct thing according to your needs at the time.

If I'm wrong, please correct me!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thicklesip View Post
    No, it can't. I tried. Lord howdy, I tried.

Also, since you seem to be unclear on what Vehon is suggesting, my understanding is that the proposal would have the mouse will behave exactly like it does in every single other mouse-using MMO. Currently, Istaria's mouse controls have a problem where they're too stupid to pull double duty according to whether you're interacting with the UI or the world. You either have a mouse that can interact with the UI-- moving windows, selecting items, etc-- OR you have a mouse that moves your character/camera. You get one or you get the other. The proposal would make it so the mouse can do both, picking the correct thing according to your needs at the time.

If I'm wrong, please correct me!
    Hi, though I have not come back yet after I left a few months ago (This game and I have such a on and off relationship at times, haha). I can say that, you are kinda right and.. well.. kinda wrong.

On my game when I played it back in like july/august. I had the right mouse button control the camera, so I can do the good ol' wow thing. While my left would interact with things. The middle scroll button was zoom in and zoom out while pushing down on the scroll button was auto-run (I think it was).

Or maybe it was hold down the scroll button to control camera. :|a

Either way, my mouse did in-fact, control the camera while allowing me to move the UI/interact with stuff.

So it can be done, just been to many months for me to remember exactly how I had set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by neva View Post
    Either way, my mouse did in-fact, control the camera while allowing me to move the UI/interact with stuff.
    Yes, sorry, I was also a bit sloppy describing it. In most MMOs:
    Left-click to move camera, interact with UI.
    Right-click to move character with camera, interact with UI.
    Middle mouse click to auto-run, scroll to zoom camera in and out.

Istaria's current problem is you can't get a button to do double-duty. So I have right-drag to move my character and camera, but I had to bind the pop-up menu to shift-right-click; left-click interacts with the UI fine, but mouse-moving the camera is `-drag.

"Why not bind some of that to the scroll wheel?" Because I need that to autorun and it'd be even harder to rebind without making me always hammer the wrong button a few times before I remembered.

"Then use the other buttons on your mouse!" What other buttons? I have a normal mouse, two buttons and a scroll wheel is all I have to work with.

Or, again: I gratefully and eagerly await the proposed mouse changes so that I will stop tripping over my muscle memory, because "one button for one function" aint so hot for mouse stuff.

I know it's been awhile since anyone posted in this thread, but has this idea been given anymore thought? I haven't played in awhile, but I decided to install the game again now that I have some free time, and the mouse controls still bother me immensely. If you guys could implement an option for the mouse functionality that you talked about in the original post (being able to pan around your character with Left click, using right click to move the camera and talk to npcs, etc), that would make playing this game so much more enjoyable for me, and I assume many others more used to a modern control scheme.

The keybindings in general can always be changed, so I wouldn't think of that as a big issue, but the mouse functionality (to my knowledge) can't. Please give some more thought to adding that mouse functionality into the options.
    Seilan Moonside (Gnome, Chaos Server)

Future Reaver

While you Devs are thinking to make the game more player friendly, could you please also add some more hotbars? They are REALLY needed.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    While you Devs are thinking to make the game more player friendly, could you please also add some more hotbars? They are REALLY needed.
    this is a great idea, i'm sure everyone who has a biped thinks so hehe

my only concerns would be with changing hotkey bars.
    the ability to change hotkey bars with Shift + <No.> comes in handy for me, but with more than 10 hotkey bars it means past 10, you can only have access through the arrows; which would be very inconvenient for some (especially those who prefer to play inconveniently with only one hotkay bar showing at all times *cough cough*not me*cough cough*) though they could of course put the next hotkey bars on Ctrl + <no.> to sort that should they ever add them

Please don't make the game even more spoiled than it is now.
    Thought I would use your quote from another post for this suggestion.

Thread Information