Thread: Hello Everyone!

Default Hello Everyone!

Well, this may be late because I have been on Istaria for a while now, but I decided to make a post here!

You may know me as Felica, Krestel or Kuleme. They're all on Order and all are dragons. I hope to see you guys on Istaria!
    Kuleme Seawing- Ancient Dragoness of Order- 100/31/11
    "Hm...Do I play too much Istaria?"
    *Thinks*
    "Yeah, I think so, too."

Default Re: Hello Everyone!

*serves Kuleme an [Imperial Urn] full of klava presented with a towel and a curtsy*
    Welcome home! :-)

Klava! *Drinks in one gulp* Thank you Awdz!

(By the way....What /is/ Klava?)
    Kuleme Seawing- Ancient Dragoness of Order- 100/31/11
    "Hm...Do I play too much Istaria?"
    *Thinks*
    "Yeah, I think so, too."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuleme View Post
    Klava! *Drinks in one gulp* Thank you Awdz!

(By the way....What /is/ Klava?)
    I'll just quote what I've posted elsewhere before:
    Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    It's your favorite wake up drink! The klava maker reads your preferences when I target you through the scope, and then it makes your preferred beverage. Me da invented the klava maker back in Rachival before the invasion.

<ooc - More details on Istarian klava are in the book Kindled and Gifted.

For a long time, I thought "Klava" in real life came from the South Pacific islands, a coffee drink brewed with an egg in it. Steven Brust used it in his Vlad Taltos series as the morning brew for his Dragaerans. I had read some of his books and thoroughly enjoyed them (I highly recommend his writing) but then forgotten where I'd heard the term when starting to serve (morning) drinks to folks in game. I confirmed it was not from McCaffrey's writing (she used "klah"); I googled the term, but at the time (five + years ago now, wowsers!) it did not come up with any hits on Steven Brust, just the south pacific definition. It was about a year after I started serving klava in Istaria that I realized I was behind in reading the Vlad series, picked up the books I'd missed, and found where the term had been used in literature before.

I tried looking up the original definition of klava again, and could not find the South Pacific drink description that I know I read years ago. I did find an 1898 reference about natives (Rotuma) putting food and klava on a grave, though, so I know it's been around a while. Also, apparently Steven Brust's drink was based on Hungarian coffee, at least according to one source. It's interesting the way available information changed over time. Kind of threw me for a loop when I looked again, though.

Please note that the gnomish term is different than the coffee/egg drink. Someone drinking klava in Istaria may never have tasted either coffee or eggs. The term in Istaria simply denotes a person's favorite beverage, and is associated with feelings of renewal/awakening while it is consumed.>

Thread Information